BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

11-03-2018, 08:35 PM   #89
///Mangler
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Darth Vader Trackcar

Garage List
2000 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgm1x View Post
I have a 2018 M3 with the Harman Kardon Sound system. I'm wondering if the Bimmertech Amplifier is worth it to upgrade for $800. It's also Plug n Play. Otherwise I may just wire up a sub box/ and amp and call it a day.
BimmerTech amp is not compatible with the HK system.
Even if you code back to hifi?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 10:08 PM   #90
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mangler View Post
Even if you code back to hifi?
You will need to run cables from the iDrive unit to the BimmerTech amp inputs, then cut the OEM harness to wire the outputs to the speakers.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 05:03 PM   #91
hilld
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 Z4, 18 X1, 22 Rivian R1T

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilld View Post
Here are some test fitting pictures of the JL Audio Powerwedge+ (10"). I had this one in my pickup and it was within 1/8" of the opening size so I decided to see if it works. I had to remove one small plastic bracket (nothing was attached to it - it is at the top left corner of the sub looking from the trunk area {see the folded down carpeting near the O}) that I have no idea what it does since nothing was attached to it.

View from the trunk:

View from back seat area (seat folded down):

Side connections to the powered sub:

As far as the install goes, here are the spec's, won't have any pictures until next week once I pick up the vehicle, but also not sure if there will be much to see other than the control knob for the sub and JL Audio Fix processor.

Mobridge DA1 - MOST to analog/digital converter
Arc XDi1200.6 - 6 channel amp
Morel Hybrid 402 speakers for the front doors
Factory HK speakers for the rear
Disconnect center channel speakers
JL Audio TwK D8 digital processor
Jenhert XE200 under seat woofers
Various cables and adapters, disconnect active sound

Will report back on sound impressions when the car is back in my possession.
Replying back to my own post as promised.

Picked the car up today and sat in the parking lot with Nick as we ran through some test tracks. All I can say is wow. What a difference, but for the price I paid, it better be.

Not a ton of pics for now, Nick said they took a whole bunch of the actual install and they would email them to me later.

Here is what I found in the trunk:

All kidding aside, the only pic I have is where the replacement amp and sound processor are installed, even that is somewhat obscured.

Back to the sub, they ended up installing it with the woofer facing the back seat after testing the sound both ways.

Now time to go drive around some more.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 05:12 AM   #92
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 M40i - G05

So, after having it for a while now, how are you liking your new system?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 02:52 PM   #93
hilld
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 Z4, 18 X1, 22 Rivian R1T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post
So, after having it for a while now, how are you liking your new system?
I really like it. My wife and I have taken a few road trips and the sound is just really pleasant. Good bass and crisp high notes. Now with the top down things are not quite as high fidelity, but at least the system has enough power to still bring out the music. Before the HK system was struggling to produce quality sound.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 10:26 AM   #94
Cars are the new horse
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016

From the spec sheet in the first post, I see that the OEM amp is 600W its 7x50w to the mid-high and 2x125w to the subs. I assume those are peak values and not RMS.

The data sheet's values of 9V and 16V would mean that the RMS values are 20.25 RMS for each mid/tweeter set and 32w RMS for each sub. Am I totally wrong in this approach?

If that's the case, then a 75W RMS/channel amp would be a substantial improvement in power for the mid/tweets, but would be roughly the same for the subs (because the subs are 8 ohms).
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 08:40 PM   #95
Tcgaylor
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80

F80 with HK Logic 7
I added my Kicker CXA1200 and Kicker Rcomp 12’s to the truck of my M3. The posts on here were very helpful. Thanks for that.
However, since the bass is processed, in the amp, and is not getting the lows I truly need, can this be done?

Split off of the Fiber Cables, pre-amp, let them continue to the amp but then feed as a secondary into the MoBridge DA converter, then out to my amp and subwoofer, for the true bass, I am looking for?

Has anyone tried this with success?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 01:06 PM   #96
gacekk
Poland
Rep
Drives: Evo X, M3 Comp in Frozen Blue

You've done extebsive research on the audio setup. Can you explain one thing to me? When replacing screen with Android based unit which connects to AUX, apparently audio would be worse? Is this due to expected low quality of DACs built into such units? So external DAC between such unit and AUX input would solve the issue?
Appreciate 0