ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-14-2022, 10:08 AM   #1
godkin826
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 (F82)

Best additional mods to go with a Stage 1 tune & M Performance Exhaust

So I am in the process of getting everything set up to have my 2018 m4 tuned in April.

My car is entirely stock at the moment except for a m performance exhaust.

I am doing the eurocharged stage 1 tune and I want to make sure I am doing everything right so my car can properly handle the power.

So far I have purchased CTS charge pipes and J pipe but that's it.

Should I be adding anything else? Like a BMC air filter, or bigger tires on the rear (currently 275s on the car).

Looking for other areas to improve the car in order to handle the additional power of the tune the best.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 11:39 AM   #2
stoes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 M3

Is eurocharged doing a custom tune for you or is it just an OTS? Any particular reason why your going with eyrocharged? And why stage 1?
These tunes are difference makers for sure but honestly a stage 1 or even 2 is not such a big difference you need to compensate in other areas. Stage 1 will get boring real quick.
I got my '18 m4 comp in august. It had a stage 1 already on it. I drove it for 3 days and bought the stage 2 from bm3. The stage 2 wasn't a kick in the seat difference compared to stage 1 but it definitely felt stronger all around. Then after 2 weeks I got the stage 2 e30 tune and dynod the car. In Houston heat at 78 degrees it did 490/520. The car is completely stock besides the tune and fuel. So if I was on stage 1 all 93 Oct it would have put down about 465/490..
these stage 1 and 2 OTS tunes are very overblown when it comes to actual numbers. People think, oh I'll get a stage 1 and I'll get 480+ bevsuse Thsts what the website says or Thsts what people on the forums claim. And stage 2 with a downpipes I'll get minimum 520.
The truth is A. You don't need any exhaust modifications for either 3 of the above mentioned tunes. B. Lower your expectations of how fast your car will be C. Don't buy into the hype of a simple OTS tune being this amazing and crazy thing on your csr Thst is going to need other car components to run right and safely.
I'm not at all trying to be negative lol I'm sorry if it's coming off like that. I'm simply saying what most others don't. Yes, you will love the car (my m4 is by far my favorite and fastest car I've ever had) and yes the tune is a must. But the car won't really be "fast" until you get into E85. I'm speaking from personal experience. I recently got the bm3 flex fuel kit and have been trying to get it dialed in over the past 2 weeks. I just did a couple days ago and can say this stage 2 bm3 flex fuel tune w the flex sensor / kit compared to my stage 1 or even 2 tune is miles ahead! No comparison. I'm running e40-e45. Car is still otherwise stock (besides charge pipes) this cost me $200 for the tune (bought the license used) $600 for the kit . So for $800 total I've gained at least 100 hp and I honestly don't even know how much tq from stock. Thsts insane.
If eurocharged is promising you certain numbers make sure they clarify if that's at the wheels or crank. Also have them dyno the car before and after (this is crucial!!) on a stage 1 you should expect around 50hp stage 2 60-70 max over stock and that's being generous. My recommendation is skip the nonsense and go custom. With your tires just put on 285 next time you need to change them. Otherwise besides charge pipes your set. This is why a lot of people buy this car. Literally a tune is all you need.
      03-14-2022, 11:42 AM   #3
M 4 FUN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320 Si, M4 comp. M3 E46

Nothing needs to be done engine wise. I run stage 2 but the difference is very small but i run 20% torque reduction which makes the car much more easier to control and puts down power better. Gives a more linear powerband too. taste is different but i like it this way together with michelin PS4S for streetuse and öhlins coilovers with revised springrates.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 06:59 PM   #4
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Bootmod3 with Stage 2 map…$350USD.
Add BMC drop ins and you're done.
      03-14-2022, 09:22 PM   #5
godkin826
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoes View Post
Is eurocharged doing a custom tune for you or is it just an OTS? Any particular reason why your going with eyrocharged? And why stage 1?
These tunes are difference makers for sure but honestly a stage 1 or even 2 is not such a big difference you need to compensate in other areas. Stage 1 will get boring real quick.
I got my '18 m4 comp in august. It had a stage 1 already on it. I drove it for 3 days and bought the stage 2 from bm3. The stage 2 wasn't a kick in the seat difference compared to stage 1 but it definitely felt stronger all around. Then after 2 weeks I got the stage 2 e30 tune and dynod the car. In Houston heat at 78 degrees it did 490/520. The car is completely stock besides the tune and fuel. So if I was on stage 1 all 93 Oct it would have put down about 465/490..
these stage 1 and 2 OTS tunes are very overblown when it comes to actual numbers. People think, oh I'll get a stage 1 and I'll get 480+ bevsuse Thsts what the website says or Thsts what people on the forums claim. And stage 2 with a downpipes I'll get minimum 520.
The truth is A. You don't need any exhaust modifications for either 3 of the above mentioned tunes. B. Lower your expectations of how fast your car will be C. Don't buy into the hype of a simple OTS tune being this amazing and crazy thing on your csr Thst is going to need other car components to run right and safely.
I'm not at all trying to be negative lol I'm sorry if it's coming off like that. I'm simply saying what most others don't. Yes, you will love the car (my m4 is by far my favorite and fastest car I've ever had) and yes the tune is a must. But the car won't really be "fast" until you get into E85. I'm speaking from personal experience. I recently got the bm3 flex fuel kit and have been trying to get it dialed in over the past 2 weeks. I just did a couple days ago and can say this stage 2 bm3 flex fuel tune w the flex sensor / kit compared to my stage 1 or even 2 tune is miles ahead! No comparison. I'm running e40-e45. Car is still otherwise stock (besides charge pipes) this cost me $200 for the tune (bought the license used) $600 for the kit . So for $800 total I've gained at least 100 hp and I honestly don't even know how much tq from stock. Thsts insane.
If eurocharged is promising you certain numbers make sure they clarify if that's at the wheels or crank. Also have them dyno the car before and after (this is crucial!!) on a stage 1 you should expect around 50hp stage 2 60-70 max over stock and that's being generous. My recommendation is skip the nonsense and go custom. With your tires just put on 285 next time you need to change them. Otherwise besides charge pipes your set. This is why a lot of people buy this car. Literally a tune is all you need.
So it's actually a custom tune, and the reason why I am going with euro charged is they have a authorized dealer near my place that has amazing reviews and they do really good work.

The custom tune is said to do 575hp at the crank, I'll definitely be getting the car dyno tested before and after the tune. Appreciate all your insight and recommendations
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 09:23 PM   #6
godkin826
Rep

How do you run a 20% torque reduction? Did you just tune it differently to be that way? Also thanks for the suggestion
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 09:25 PM   #7
godkin826
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
With the BMC drop ins did you do any special for setup with them? I was reading earlier about them and a lot of people were saying they actually hurt performance and were making the car slower at lower end speed
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 10:57 PM   #8
Gtracer
Rookie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS, 2021 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by godkin826 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
With the BMC drop ins did you do any special for setup with them? I was reading earlier about them and a lot of people were saying they actually hurt performance and were making the car slower at lower end speed
That's just not true. You'll need to remove the charcoal pre filters but the sound alone is 10000% worth the upgrade. The factory air boxes are very efficient and coupled with BMC filters, is a great combo to add to your tune.
      03-15-2022, 12:42 AM   #9
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
So I am in the process of getting everything set up to have my 2018 m4 tuned in April.

My car is entirely stock at the moment except for a m performance exhaust.

I am doing the eurocharged stage 1 tune and I want to make sure I am doing everything right so my car can properly handle the power.

So far I have purchased CTS charge pipes and J pipe but that's it.

Should I be adding anything else? Like a BMC air filter, or bigger tires on the rear (currently 275s on the car).

Looking for other areas to improve the car in order to handle the additional power of the tune the best.
Bend Calibration Flex Fuel Kit
Crank hub
BM3 ethanol sensor
Max effort custom tune on full E85
AA Catted downpipes
AA Midpipe

Pretty handy when those pesky muscle cars come around and want to play bully hehe
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 08:46 AM   #10
stoes
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
So it's actually a custom tune, and the reason why I am going with euro charged is they have a authorized dealer near my place that has amazing reviews and they do really good work.

The custom tune is said to do 575hp at the crank, I'll definitely be getting the car dyno tested before and after the tune. Appreciate all your insight and recommendations
I've heard grey things about eurocharged and I've gotten my car dynod there a few times. They are great with the Mercedes' platform! I was just curious . You happen to be in their Houston location? I trust them completely, you should go stage 2 though! Please post your before and after numbers too. Most people don't do this and it's a shame bevsuse this is the only time a dyno should ever be talked about. Before/after.. and it's the powerband you should focus on not the peak number.
Good luck man!
      03-15-2022, 09:17 AM   #11
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

1. Single midpipe, more power, and sound
  2. BMC filter for a better air flow
  3. Or an air intake for a better air flow and sound

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 10:06 AM   #12
godkin826
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtracer View Post
That's just not true. You'll need to remove the charcoal pre filters but the sound alone is 10000% worth the upgrade. The factory air boxes are very efficient and coupled with BMC filters, is a great combo to add to your tune.
I thought it sounded strange but I noticed a few people on the thread mention it... likely just didn't know what they were doing or saying
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 10:07 AM   #13
godkin826
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Bend Calibration Flex Fuel Kit
Crank hub
BM3 ethanol sensor
Max effort custom tune on full E85
AA Catted downpipes
AA Midpipe

Pretty handy when those pesky muscle cars come around and want to play bully hehe
Thanks for the advice! Once my budget increases a bit would likely want to try a few of these
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 10:10 AM   #14
godkin826
Rep

Quote:
I've heard grey things about eurocharged and I've gotten my car dynod there a few times. They are great with the Mercedes' platform! I was just curious . You happen to be in their Houston location? I trust them completely, you should go stage 2 though! Please post your before and after numbers too. Most people don't do this and it's a shame bevsuse this is the only time a dyno should ever be talked about. Before/after.. and it's the powerband you should focus on not the peak number.
Good luck man!
Yea the shop near me by far has the best reviews and a lot of people are recommending it in my area. I am in their Toronto location but I will definitely follow up on the thread with before and after dyno results and let everyone know.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 10:11 AM   #15
godkin826
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
  1. Single midpipe, more power, and sound
  2. BMC filter for a better air flow
  3. Or an air intake for a better air flow and sound
What would be the biggest benefit of going with a new intake? I've looked into this a bit but wasn't sure of all the benefits over the BMC filter or even just stock.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 10:19 AM   #16
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
What would be the biggest benefit of going with a new intake? I've looked into this a bit but wasn't sure of all the benefits over the BMC filter or even just stock.
both improve the airflow, an intake will also improve the sound

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2022, 10:38 AM   #17
godkin826
Rep

So finally got my car tuned by euro charged Canada with their stage one tune.

They installed the CTS charge pipe, j pipe and intake first, everything else on the car is stock except for the m performance exhaust. Once that was installed we did the first pull on the dyno and the car produced 430hp and 422 torque

After the car was tuned it produced 504hp and 518 torque. We used dynojet for the dyno.

So far the car has ran great, haven't been able to do much driving though because of the crap weather in canada right now but will update after a few more drives.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
TopJimmy5445.00
      04-16-2022, 01:51 PM   #18
godkin826
Rep

Quote:
Good luck man!
Posted my before and after
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 08:34 AM   #19
stoes
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Good luck man!
Posted my before and after
Great numbers! That's really strong looking! I dynod 495/520 on stage 2 bm3 in Houston heat on otherwise stock car besides charge pipes. Your delta is really good especially for a stage 1!! I recently installed the bm3 flex fuel kit and it's a game changer, I highly recommend. I'm not sure what my car is pushing now but I know my draggy times changed significantly from the stage 2 93 Oct . I ran the 1/8 in 7.7 @ 100mph no launch control, I suck at launching! Before on the stage 2 it was 8.4..my quarter mile on flex at e50 is now an 11.5 @126 mph , previously it was 12.1. 60-130 is now 8.01 previously it was 8.9!! Those are huge gains from simply a $600 flex sensor , no other changes running e50 blend. I'm sure your very happy with the car now but as always you will start wanting more! Especially since the heat of summer is coming. Just wanted to throw that out there.. congrats on the numbers though! And thank you for posting, especially since you posted before and after. Those numbers are higher than I expected, so it looks like your tuner knows his stuff which is always better than an ots tune. Have you noticed a big difference? How do you like it now compared to before?
Also you picked up an average of 100 hp/tq throughout the powerband which is amazing! And it looks like they eased your power and torque curve so that it hits a little higher in the rpms which allows you to give it more gas down low, reducing wheel spin. I hit full torque at like 3.4 rpm but yours is like 4.4. That's a good thing, you can accelerate harder than I without spinning as much. Great numbers!
      04-27-2022, 06:07 PM   #20
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Drives: bmw

Throw a single midpipe on there it wont throw any check engine lights. Other than that maybe an intake.

Intake https://mad-us.com/mad-bmw-s55-m3-m4...ow-air-intake/

Midpipe https://mad-us.com/mad-bmw-f8x-m3-m4...race-included/
Appreciate 0