Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

12-04-2022, 08:51 AM   #67
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialEdition_F87 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
Thats somewhat right. When they break it can be open, closed or somewhere in between. The rich/lean would depend on how much fuel was leaking and how much fuel was needed at any given moment. Under load the situation usually leans out, and detonation happens… On the other hand you could be stuck a good bit open and run rich in that cylinder. And worst case is you have a bad leaker, leave the key ON for a long time before startup (filling the cylinder with fuel) and hydrolock when you go to Start.
So how do you test if your injector is on its way out? whats the easiest way to catch it before it happens?
Sadly you can't catch it before it happens. Something inside the injector breaks all of a sudden. The way to check is to pull out the injector and blow through it from the threaded side. A stuck one will let air seep through.

I've also gone the route of having RC in Torrance check and clean my injectors before I installed them, because they were "barely used" from another member and I wanted to be sure they were good. I don't think RC pushes them to the level that running E85 does (~4000PSI) but I thought it was a good start.
      12-04-2022, 09:01 AM   #68
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp. SpecialEdition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn Mode View Post
Thanks I will definitely get these injectors checked out to determine if that was the point of failure because if a bad injector can cause all this, everyone needs to know.

A slightly bent rod that finally gave out is a scary thought because I'd expect a bent rod to cause the piston to thrust in a way that would cause unwanted wear to a cylinder wall or even oil leak or a rougher idle and I had none of that. My car ran so smooth and strong until doomsday. We'll know very soon. I appreciate the feedback.
Yeah that would be great for the community to know, Sorry this happened to you but Would be good to know that way I'd know to get my injectors checked every 6 months or so for a health check. Keep us updated on what you find, and if you wanna go built motor just call and speak with them and see if they can do any discounts for you, share your story you might be able to get 2-3k off by sweet talking. Either that or sell it for cheap, take your loses and move onto something else. If your motor is good enough it can most likely be salvaged and re used. But everything needs to be checked like the lifters, cylinder walls etc. Dont give up, for all you know you could be back on the road with a more stout engine for less than 6-7k. If your walls check out, you may only need pistons/rods and maybe some head work. Overall not bad. Dont give up

Last edited by M2_MEDUSA; 12-04-2022 at 09:06 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2022, 09:15 AM   #69
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep

Another thing, Lets say everything checks out for you, If you wanna go cheaper just purchase a single s55 OEM rod and piston for that cylinder alone. The thing is you dont know how big the damage is yet, It could just be a slightly bent rod with everything else intact except for 1 cylinder. Could be a much cheaper fix then you think. I hope my angle on this makess you feel better about the situation
      12-04-2022, 09:38 AM   #70
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Another thing, Lets say everything checks out for you, If you wanna go cheaper just purchase a single s55 OEM rod and piston for that cylinder alone. The thing is you dont know how big the damage is yet, It could just be a slightly bent rod with everything else intact except for 1 cylinder. Could be a much cheaper fix then you think. I hope my angle on this makess you feel better about the situation
I'd like to be optimistic but he's got a piece of engine block broken off in the picture. I'm pretty sure he needs a short-block at minimum, and if a piston hit a valve (causing a scraped cam journal) then it's a head too.
      12-04-2022, 09:43 AM   #71
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'd like to be optimistic but he's got a piece of engine block broken off in the picture. I'm pretty sure he needs a short-block at minimum, and if a piston hit a valve (causing a scraped cam journal) then it's a head too.
You're correct, I feel stupid. Forgot he did post those photos.
      12-04-2022, 10:58 AM   #72
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I still don't even understand the parts that came out but I expect my block is toast considering my oil pan is still intact. Oily but intact.

At this point the only thing that gives me any comfort is knowing that eventually when I have a new motor I'll have one of the beefiest F82s on the road that will not fail me, I'll have learned how to take apart this motor and swap it, and I'll hopefully save someone else from experiencing the same catastrophe.

Last edited by slaughter.mode; 12-04-2022 at 11:04 AM..
Appreciate 7
      12-04-2022, 04:37 PM   #73
Jbonly21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 15 F80, 2011 X5 35i, E46 M

Sorry about your engine, looking at your pictures, the plug looks like it has raw fuel on it, does it smell like fuel? Which would point to fuel injector. The rest of the pictures looks like piston rings,rod and pieces of the engine block. I am in the LA area, let me know if you need a hand.
      12-04-2022, 07:34 PM   #74
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbonly21 View Post
Sorry about your engine, looking at your pictures, the plug looks like it has raw fuel on it, does it smell like fuel? Which would point to fuel injector. The rest of the pictures looks like piston rings,rod and pieces of the engine block. I am in the LA area, let me know if you need a hand.
Quote:
Just checked and it does smell like fuel. I could use any help! This is a bit more complex than my normal spark plug and oil change jobs.
      12-04-2022, 09:03 PM   #75
Jbonly21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 15 F80, 2011 X5 35i, E46 M

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Just checked and it does smell like fuel. I could use any help! This is a bit more complex than my normal spark plug and oil change jobs.
PM sent.
      12-05-2022, 02:42 PM   #76
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Found a used engine at a local salvage yard. Car was in a wreck (F83). I see some leaking oil around the oil filter housing and obviously the cracked valve cover but so far that's the only damage. I'm awaiting more details if the salvage yard has any. I actually do have a brand new valve cover sitting ready to go so this could be a exponentially cheaper answer. Fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 03:35 PM   #77
Track/S
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C, M4 GTS

Quote:
Found a used engine at a local salvage yard. Car was in a wreck (F83). I see some leaking oil around the oil filter housing and obviously the cracked valve cover but so far that's the only damage. I'm awaiting more details if the salvage yard has any. I actually do have a brand new valve cover sitting ready to go so this could be a exponentially cheaper answer. Fingers crossed.
Looks good, especially on the top of the head without valve cover, very clean.
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2022, 04:25 PM   #78
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Looks like Omar at Vader Solutions might have another offer for me (engine sourcing and building). They also convinced me to go single turbo. I've been thinking about it for a while but after speaking with them a bit, I'm sold. IT is badass not to mention the beautiful engine notes that come with a single turbo. 4N produces the ST kits. Might as well since I'm going to be rebuilding!

I'll add updates to the sources and builders and what not to the original post once I have it all together.
Appreciate 1
Wanted_M759.00
      12-05-2022, 06:00 PM   #79
Banana_phone
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 m3

Quote:
Looks like Omar at Vader Solutions might have another offer for me (engine sourcing and building). They also convinced me to go single turbo. I've been thinking about it for a while but after speaking with them a bit, I'm sold. IT is badass not to mention the beautiful engine notes that come with a single turbo. 4N produces the ST kits. Might as well since I'm going to be rebuilding!

I'll add updates to the sources and builders and what not to the original post once I have it all together.
Quote:

4n motorsports is one of the best kits out there.
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2022, 11:12 AM   #80
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Just an update as I've been preparing to tear this thing down. Spoke with both my tuners (Wedge Performance and JordanTuned) and they both told me that a failed injector can easily cause this damage and it's not uncommon at all.

I really wish I knew this because I'd have of course swapped my injectors a while back. Neither tuner informed me of this while we were tuning but they both state that 107,000 miles is a very dangerous age for injectors and they should be swapped at 60K or so regardless of health as a normal wear and tear item. Still have to tear it down to confirm which I will do as much as I can today.

I also ran PowerPlus Top Lube every E85 fill (about a cap and a half full). Didn't seem to do much to help anything. I thought it did for my F80 but that might've just been a placebo benefit effect.
Appreciate 2
      12-06-2022, 03:46 PM   #81
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

Single turbo is the way to go but don't forget about smog in 2026. Not trying to be negative but keep that in mind.
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 2
      12-06-2022, 04:59 PM   #82
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanted_M View Post
Single turbo is the way to go but don't forget about smog in 2026. Not trying to be negative but keep that in mind.
No totally, I also had the same notion but I also know that by 2024 I'll have picked up my LCI G82 and will probably turn this into a full time track car. Something I've been wanting to do anyway, this mishap kind of decided my fate. I'll register PNO so I can avoid any of all that smog drama, especially in CA.
Appreciate 1
Wanted_M759.00
      12-06-2022, 06:41 PM   #83
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Still waiting for my buddy to return my jack and stands but I was able to break down some basics in the 30 min or so I had since my kid doesn't nap anymore (LOL) and found this under the drive belts...

Not sure what I'm looking at but it's aluminum. Oil pan? I hope to get the jacks and stuff tomorrow so I can drop that pan and see the the damage close up.

Last edited by slaughter.mode; 12-06-2022 at 06:47 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2022, 07:18 PM   #84
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Still waiting for my buddy to return my jack and stands but I was able to break down some basics in the 30 min or so I had since my kid doesn't nap anymore (LOL) and found this under the drive belts...

[img]
https://i.imgur.com/NCF8dA8l.jpg[/img][img]https://i.imgur.com/NCF8dA8l.jpg[/img][img]View post on imgur.com
[/img]

Not sure what I'm looking at but it's aluminum. Oil pan? I hope to get the jacks and stuff tomorrow so I can drop that pan and see the the damage close up.
Dats a chunk a yer errl pan!
      12-06-2022, 07:55 PM   #85
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Dats a chunk a yer errl pan!
Welp. On the potentially bright side, it blew downwards. Hoping to get the head off tomorrow to see more.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2022, 09:34 AM   #86
Track/S
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C, M4 GTS

Quote:

Yes, a bite of oil pan:

Maybe the engine block was not damaged and the worst part was taken by oil pan.
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2022, 10:47 AM   #87
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodrive_X View Post
Yes, a bite of oil pan:

Maybe the engine block was not damaged and the worst part was taken by oil pan.
Yep that's what I am crossing my fingers hoping for. Can't wait to get the car up so I can pull the rest of it off.
Appreciate 1
Jbonly211081.50
      12-07-2022, 11:39 AM   #88
WordOnRoad
Captain
Rep
Drives: E70/F80

Ugh. Sorry to see this. Thanks for being diligent and keeping us updated! Good luck!
IG: 475_f80
Appreciate 1