Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-28-2023, 07:55 PM   #1
Pete.J
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 DCT (F82)

Garage List
Would you choose Mishimoto or Do88 oil cooler and why

I had my stock oil cooler off the car to do some work, and I accidentally dropped something on it and sharply dented one of the rows (not just the fins). So I won't take the risk running it on my car again just in case it develops a pinhole leak or something in the future. Those fin and tube cores are usually made of very soft aluminium, they're super lightweight, and they're very efficient hence why BMW uses them on pretty much all modern ///M cars, but one hit and it's finished.

Given the price of a new Genuine S55 oil cooler is very close to aftermarket offerings, I am considering upgrading the oil cooler while I am at it. Slight increase in oil capacity is nice to have as well as a larger core, although I very well understand this will have no effect in providing cooler oil temps (stock setup never ran out of cooling headroom on track for me, and oil temps on the streets are governed by the oil thermostat and DME).

I am considering either Mishimoto or Do88, both are roughly the same size, both fit as good as each other, both are powder coated, one black and one silver, both are selling for very similar price. Both are bar and plate, which is much stronger and heavier than the original unit (not a good thing given the cooler location on the car, you don't want to add weight that far at the front of the car, but for the most part you shouldn't feel a difference when driving).

I recall reading the Mishimoto unit is engineered in the US and manufactured in China, no information on where the Do88 unit is made, but we know it's engineered in Sweden. I wouldn't be surprised if Do88 is also made in China given the similar price. If this oil cooler is made in Sweden you'd definitely be paying an extra +75%, as Europe has some of the highest labour cost in the world.

Neither manufacturer has released any data showing lower oil temps on track, because we all know S55 doesn't have any problems with oil temps, and this upgrade isn't needed whatsoever. Unless you're like me, and you broke you stock oil cooler.

I've only bought one Mishimoto product before, and that was an aluminium radiator for my E92 335i (Stage 2+ tuned N54), and it made the car worse haha. I was hitting limp mode on track due to coolant temps, replaced the stock radiator with Mishimoto full aluminium unit, and it hit limp mode even quicker than before But to be fair, this was about ~10yrs ago, and we all know that FBO N54 runs extremely hot, and there isn't much you can do to keep them cool due to the over spun tiny snails... etc. and Mishimoto products came a long way since then too.

Keen to hear everyone's opinions and experiences with either.

Do88:

https://www.do88.se/en/artiklar/bmw-...er-racing.html

Mishimoto:

https://www.mishimoto.com/bmw-m3-m4-...2015-2020.html

Last edited by Pete.J; 03-29-2023 at 07:32 AM.. Reason: Fixing typos
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 09:25 PM   #2
Rokoz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 f80 M3

Can't speak on either item - however, I've had great experience with Mishi's products in the past as well as on my f80. I have both their charge pipes and their charge air cooler
      03-29-2023, 01:23 AM   #3
RSXDC5
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

PWR, you can buy direct from the manufacturer or Bimmerworld has them
SYT_Shadow11481.00
      03-29-2023, 01:46 AM   #4
Pete.J
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 DCT (F82)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSXDC5 View Post
PWR, you can buy direct from the manufacturer or Bimmerworld has them
Yes PWR is an epic unit, and PWR is local to me as I am based in Australia, but I have a different issue with them.

They don't respond to their emails, and overall poorly treat end customers that reaches to them directly. You either buy through a retailer or through their online shop, and their Australian online shop hasn't been updated for years and doesn't include any S55 parts https://shop.pwr.com.au/

I emailed them twice at info@pwr.com.au asking how to buy their S55 oil cooler locally, no response.

It's bizarre that the product is made in Queensland in Australia, it’s shipped to the US to be sold by an American retailer. Yet I can only buy it from an American retailer (or PWR USA online shop) who will then ship it back to Australia where it initially originated, and in the process I pay expensive international shipping and import tax! (about ~20% after you factor in admin and customs broker fees) But you're definitely right its hands down the best direct fit oil cooler money can buy for the S55, it's also super lightweight. It's a proper competition/racing spec unit. if they respond to my email and offer me an avenue to buy it locally I'd do that by all means. For now I am leaning towards Do88 because I prefer the stealth black color over the grey/silver Mishimoto unit with their black "M" logo.
      03-29-2023, 09:06 AM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

I sell Mishimoto, so im more familiar with them; their products are high quality with spot-on fitment. I recommend choosing Mishimoto for a guaranteed hassle-free install.

We got the cooler in stock and ready to ship.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 09:57 AM   #6
heyyouduh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I have the do88 charge cooler and hot and cold side pipes. never heard of them before but seems to be popular in e9x circles. was pleased with build quality and fitment, fitment was tight and very precise. I bought from auto couture motoring and they were very responsive as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 10:16 AM   #7
Danlnyc88
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Comp, 2017 Macan Turbo

I just installed my csf one over the weekend. Nothing else to say really, other than installation was a breeze.

Have to go out and test it out
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 10:17 AM   #8
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

I have PWR on GTS1 (stock unit on GTS2) and like you said OP, it's a proper competition piece.

On the stroker E90 track car, we've had all do88 coolers since 2017 and they've been fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 01:12 PM   #9
RSXDC5
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete.J View Post
Yes PWR is an epic unit, and PWR is local to me as I am based in Australia, but I have a different issue with them.

They don't respond to their emails, and overall poorly treat end customers that reaches to them directly. You either buy through a retailer or through their online shop, and their Australian online shop hasn't been updated for years and doesn't include any S55 parts https://shop.pwr.com.au/

I emailed them twice at info@pwr.com.au asking how to buy their S55 oil cooler locally, no response.

It's bizarre that the product is made in Queensland in Australia, it’s shipped to the US to be sold by an American retailer. Yet I can only buy it from an American retailer (or PWR USA online shop) who will then ship it back to Australia where it initially originated, and in the process I pay expensive international shipping and import tax! (about ~20% after you factor in admin and customs broker fees) But you're definitely right its hands down the best direct fit oil cooler money can buy for the S55, it's also super lightweight. It's a proper competition/racing spec unit. if they respond to my email and offer me an avenue to buy it locally I'd do that by all means. For now I am leaning towards Do88 because I prefer the stealth black color over the grey/silver Mishimoto unit with their black "M" logo.
That’s unfortunate, try to give them a call directly!
      03-30-2023, 09:51 AM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danlnyc88 View Post
I just installed my csf one over the weekend. Nothing else to say really, other than installation was a breeze.

Have to go out and test it out
That's what I got for my car; if I were to do it again, I would pick CSF again.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0