Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

02-10-2017, 01:49 PM   #67
packetpilot
Banned
Rep
Drives: California Packet
Location: Left edge of browser window beneath 'join date' obvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstevens View Post
If you have the hardware to support it, the software is already there. You have only to change a single value in the ECU. You'll know if you do because you'll already be running iDrive 5.

If you don't have the latest (as of now) ECU (HU_NBT2 or HU_NBT "EVO"), then it's not really practical, but that's a hardware issue rather than a software one.
I'm rather sure the hardware changes impact more that just the HU itself. I'll refrain from being too helpful though as I've been reprimanded for offering free help in the past, so unless Dackelone tells me it's okay to be helpful for free without being a site sponsor, I'll refrain from considering whether to drip (more) value onto this property.

Last edited by packetpilot; 02-10-2017 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: logic/clarity
Appreciate 1
psedog482.50
      02-10-2017, 04:15 PM   #68
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by packetpilot View Post
I'm rather sure the hardware changes impact more that just the HU itself. I'll refrain from being too helpful though as I've been reprimanded for offering free help in the past, so unless Dackelone tells me it's okay to be helpful for free without being a site sponsor, I'll refrain from considering whether to drip (more) value onto this property.
I told you that you can NOT solicit people for your coding biz. You are free to give out free advice and post it. But you may NOT pm or use the forums for financial gains - unless you want to become a forum sponsor.

Feel free to answer forum members questions on how to code a car or fix a car.
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2017, 04:54 PM   #69
packetpilot
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I'm rather sure the hardware changes impact more that just the HU itself.
To expound on this, I have an open load on one of the connectors in the back of the NBT Evo. I for some reason think it's a [missing] WLAN antenna but it could be BT. I don't plan on tearing apart my dash to find out, and can only get so far with a camera phone stuck into the void behind the leather cover beneath it. Perhaps one day I'll buy a little endoscope thing and spelunk more.

I've also read about (but don't yet fully understand) that the MY2016 cars have a "RUEKO" variant of the NBT2 aka NBT Evo. This is apparently (again, if I understand correctly) a "first showing" of the Evo hardware but seemingly *without* the required "hardware"? for Apple CarPlay (which may simply be an authorization stamp from Apple and might not be hardware at all).

Giant asterisk on all of this--it's in a foggy area that I've not thoroughly explored/researched.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 05:02 PM   #70
packetpilot
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
But you may NOT pm or use the forums for financial gains - unless you want to become a forum sponsor.
I think you missed the part in the posts you deleted (Indy and Brooklyn) where I offered to do remote coding for free despite it being caps'd/bolded.

Admittedly, it was me doing my best to simply find the edge of the envelope, as any good engineer does when it comes to tolerances/thresholds. But enough going OT. Thanks for the green light to consider being helpful without fear of anything other than my own accumulation of ethical sludge.
Appreciate 2
      02-10-2017, 05:11 PM   #71
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
I think you missed the part in the posts you deleted (Indy and Brooklyn) where I offered to do remote coding for free despite it being caps'd/bolded.

Admittedly, it was me doing my best to simply find the edge of the envelope, as any good engineer does when it comes to tolerances/thresholds. But enough going OT. Thanks for the green light to consider being helpful without fear of anything other than my own accumulation of ethical sludge.
That would be ok to do. This is what the forums are for. (for free)
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 10:13 PM   #72
packetpilot
Banned
Rep

Update on my status regarding FSC codes: sole vendor I could find hasn't loged into [other forum] since Monday.

Perhaps they shut down, perhaps they were snagged by INTERPOL, perhaps their exploit/access to internal BMW infrastructure was cut off, or perhaps they got rich enough to be lazy af. Or maybe there's some very long Russian holiday I don't know about.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 11:34 PM   #73
psedog
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 AB 6MT F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstevens View Post
The thread starter (and you) are on different hardware, or at least ECU's that were shipped with significantly different firmware, and if you'll note his hardware is not really "handling it" all that well as a number of central features aren't working for him. He's had to flash his ECU with new firmware, etc., not just flip a bit. He's referring to his HU as "sacrificial" for that reason.

By the time my car is a year old, BMW will have newer (by, I'm guessing, about a year) and cooler stuff out that I won't be able to have.
BTW, I do have NBT2. So, not all that different from the current EVO. Hence, I said new software requires a new vehicle, just like Apple.

Right now I'm trying to get KIS/SVT Target to populate. I think esys couldn't see psdzdata through the symbolic links so I just setup some hard links and I'll head back out to the car and try again.
      02-11-2017, 04:44 PM   #74
packetpilot
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psedog View Post
BTW, I do have NBT2. So, not all that different from the current EVO. Hence, I said new software requires a new vehicle, just like Apple.

Right now I'm trying to get KIS/SVT Target to populate. I think esys couldn't see psdzdata through the symbolic links so I just setup some hard links and I'll head back out to the car and try again.
mklink /j works for me.

OT: stupid windows.
Appreciate 1
psedog482.50
      02-12-2017, 06:52 PM   #75
Spoonman929RR
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by japanaltaf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post
- Can you guys post some screenshots of the major changes that you notice?
- Can you mention the exact parameter to change? I presume, it will be FDL coding the HU_NBT2?
- Do you lose any stock functionality (I presume not) and is the change reversible? - Just double checking before I try out at the weekend.

Thanks..
The OP has a video posted that shows you what you can expect as far as the interface is concerned. On my 2017 M2 with NBT Evo / iDrive 5 stock, I did not lose any functionality. So far I am enjoying it You can easily code it back if you don't like it.

For the coding -

In the HU_NBT2 Module:

3000 -> HMI_ID_VERSION set to: id6_light (id5_plus_plus is default)
HMI_ID_VERSION isn't showing up in the tree in 3000 HMI for me for some reason. I do see HMI_VERSION, but as was stated before it isn't the right place to go. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 09:16 PM   #76
packetpilot
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman929RR View Post
HMI_ID_VERSION isn't showing up in the tree in 3000 HMI for me for some reason. I do see HMI_VERSION, but as was stated before it isn't the right place to go. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
Change version to vers and report back.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 03:42 PM   #77
TN_3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Garage List
So PP, are you able to share the level of functionality with iDrive 5.0 that can be expected for someone with a MY2016 and NBT Evo? I have no desire to go to 6.0, but would love to upgrade to 5.0.

2020 X5 M50i G05 l MW l BLACK l PREM l DHP l 22” l PARK l EXT S-LINE l LASER l TH l AG
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 04:23 PM   #78
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_3 View Post
So PP, are you able to share the level of functionality with iDrive 5.0 that can be expected for someone with a MY2016 and NBT Evo? I have no desire to go to 6.0, but would love to upgrade to 5.0.
From ID4 to ID5?

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 05:50 PM   #79
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
From ID4 to ID5?
According to this post BMW are offering it (in Dubai at least):

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1353852

Last sentence in the thread header.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 05:53 PM   #80
packetpilot
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_3 View Post
I believe that is shared in the video in the opening post, and possibly also in the text.

Clarification: 5 and 6 are equal from an OS perspective; they're just different skins. Consider GNOME vs Unity on Ubuntu, for example. It's a fitting analogue.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 05:55 PM   #81
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
According to this post BMW are offering it (in Dubai at least):

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1353852

Last sentence in the thread header.
With good reason, BMW AG is not offering it, and there is no official means to retrofit ID4 to ID5. Not sure though what entity "AGMC" is that is supposedly offering it.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 05:57 PM   #82
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
With good reason, BMW AG is not offering it, and there is no official means to retrofit ID4 to ID5. Not sure though what entity "AGMC" is that is supposedly offering it.
Seems to be a BMW importer/distributor/dealership in Dubai.

Last edited by dinonz; 02-14-2017 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: Added importer/distributor to the description
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 06:04 PM   #83
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Seems to be a BMW dealership in Dubai.
Does not mean anything in Middle East and some other Countries, as Dealers also offer "unoffical" things.

There is no official retrofit because the hardware for ID5 is different. All ID5 Head Units have external GPS via ATM, and have 4 Gb instead of 2 Gb memory, and unless car has ATM module (e.g. has TCB), all Telematics (e.g. Connected Drive, ARTTI, etc.) are lost after ID5 flash, and new ID5 Map FSC Code will be needed, which cannot be ordered from BMW AG for car with factory ID4. Lastly, most likely ID4 hardware with ID5 firmware will suffer random and frequent rebooting due to RAM limitation.

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 06:08 PM   #84
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Does not mean anything in Middle East and some other Countries, as Dealers also offer "unoffical" things.

There is no official retrofit because the hardware for ID5 is different. All ID5 Head Units have external GPS via ATM, and have 4 Gb instead of 2 Gb memory, and unless car has ATM module (e.g. has TCB), all Telematics (e.g. Connected Drive, ARTTI, etc.) are lost after ID5 flash, and new ID5 Map FSC Code will be needed, which cannot be ordered from BMW AG for car with factory ID4. Lastly, most likely ID4 hardware with ID5 firmware will suffer random and frequent rebooting due to RAM limitation.
Thanks for the clarification. Strangely, I recall reading somewhere else someone saying that "official" upgrades were coming in Feb, so thought this might be legit. All I can think is they're putting an "ID5 Lite" in instead? And ID5 version for ID4 hardware.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 06:13 PM   #85
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. Strangely, I recall reading somewhere else someone saying that "official" upgrades were coming in Feb, so thought this might be legit. All I can think is they're putting an "ID5 Lite" in instead? And ID5 version for ID4 hardware.
Well, just because it is written, and written in more then one place, does not make it true. I think at one time it was assumed that when F-Series was getting ID5, it would be only different firmware instead of new G-Series Head unit Hardware, but that did not turn out to be the case, as F-Series ID5 got new Hardware.

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 06:14 PM   #86
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, just because it is written, and written in more then one place, does not make it true. I think at one time it was assumed that when F-Series was getting ID5, it would be only different firmware instead of new G-Series Head unit Hardware, but that did not turn out to be the case, as F-Series ID5 got new Hardware.
I'll just have to be happy with ID4 and then get ID5 in a 2018 before they stop production while I'm waiting for the G-Series M3 to be made...
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 06:23 PM   #87
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'll just have to be happy with ID4 and then get ID5 in a 2018 before they stop production while I'm waiting for the G-Series M3 to be made...
Maybe you will get new next generation "MGU" Head Unit...

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 07:49 PM   #88
n54 xdrive
Rep
Drives: e90 n54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman929RR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by japanaltaf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post
- Can you guys post some screenshots of the major changes that you notice?
- Can you mention the exact parameter to change? I presume, it will be FDL coding the HU_NBT2?
- Do you lose any stock functionality (I presume not) and is the change reversible? - Just double checking before I try out at the weekend.

Thanks..
The OP has a video posted that shows you what you can expect as far as the interface is concerned. On my 2017 M2 with NBT Evo / iDrive 5 stock, I did not lose any functionality. So far I am enjoying it You can easily code it back if you don't like it.

For the coding -

In the HU_NBT2 Module:

3000 -> HMI_ID_VERSION set to: id6_light (id5_plus_plus is default)
My17 isn't showing it either
Appreciate 0