GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

08-07-2019, 07:32 PM   #1
F82///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 M4

Rennline Phone Mount, gap with full leather interior

Finally received phone mount. Rennline lost the package (it didn't get picked up by DHL 19 days after receiving tracking info) and ignored refund request multiple times. After opening PayPal claim got the refund and ordered from Pelican Parts, Ecs tuning was out of stock.

Got it installed and here we go, beautiful gap. I've seen few users complaining about it and it seems like a leather is to blame. All those with regular dash don't have a gap because it's soft and it gets pushed in.

Didn't wanna send it back so I started trimming the mount. Piece closest to the bottom hole was mostly in the way. Ended up cutting it off completely and trimmed few millimeters around the lineup hole where plastic piece from the back of the radio unit goes in. In the end gap is still present, at least this time for the thickness of the mount. Mount is sturdy, holds the phone in place and can't tell it's missing bottom piece. Upper bolt and lineup hole keeps it in place.

This was done on 2018 M4. Ambient lighting seems to be just a bit more illuminated around climate control due to the gap.

Pictures are in the order with the last one as a final result. In test fit pictures it may look like there's no need for cutting but when mount gets placed into the back of climate control the whole thing shifts 2mm towards the passenger side.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
maniz615.50
      08-09-2019, 10:31 AM   #2
Nonopr01
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

Only problem with this one is that it vibrates a lot. Difficult to focus.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 12:31 AM   #3
F82///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonopr01 View Post
Mine doesn't vibrate at all, even without bottom piece of the mount it's still tight. I have metal plate on the bottom of my phone so I can still use wireless charging at home and it's been holding up good on rough roads. Phone is LG G8 which is a bit bulky and on heavy side along with the protection case but it doesn't move.

On the other note I made this post hoping others would chime in if they're having a gap or not with info about the vehicle year/model/full leather dash or not.
Other than that, I'm satisfied with the mount even after small modification and small gap it still delivers.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 04:34 PM   #4
The_Pippin
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Hey man,

I know this is months later but I'm having the same issue. I like the mount and I tried to bend it a bit more but it still doesn't sit flush.

I have a 2016 M3 and full leather interior as well.

Last edited by The_Pippin; 01-02-2020 at 04:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 11:22 PM   #5
hworang00
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW F80 M3

I just got it and had to cut away some of the mount, and it still doesn't sit flush...I'm just going to live with it, but mine seems to vibrate a lot. I haven't driven it yet but just sitting in the car and flicking it (that sounds wrong), it vibrates quite a bit. Maybe I need to cut a little more off of it to make it sit flush for it to not vibrate? Anyone have any helpful input? Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 09:47 PM   #6
The_Pippin
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

I emailed Rennline support and they are sending me another phone mount to see if it will fit better. They told me they make one mount for F30/F80/F82, but I'm hoping they have a more specific one for F80/F82 that may fit a little better.

Doesn't hurt to try
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 07:57 PM   #7
hworang00
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW F80 M3

I already cut mine though :\ I ordered the F30 one and it still has that gap
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 09:13 PM   #8
Danlnyc88
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Comp, 2017 Macan Turbo

Honestly doesn't bother me that much though. I cant even tell most of the time. Have u guys tried adding a washer or something to the left side to even it out that way?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 11:33 PM   #9
maniz
Assistant TO the Regional Manager
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Coupe

Reviving the thread.

Just installed my Rennline mount. Same problem. And I don't even have the full leather dash. I have written to them.

Surprised this hasn't come up more often. Even the YouTube videos for F8X don't mention it. Either the problem is extremely limited or people aren't noticing it. I re-watched the Kies install video after discovering my issue and of course only then noticed the same gap in his install too. See the before/after comparison in the screenshots attached here. I know the camera moved slightly lower in the "after" pic but if you watch the video, there is clearly a gap after the install that wasn't there before.

Buyer beware on this one.
Attached Images

Der stärkste buchstabe der welt

Last edited by maniz; 03-22-2020 at 11:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 04:57 PM   #10
hC1001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

I also have a gap. You can tell you have a gap when you try to reinstall the bottom plastic cover and the right side is sorta tight but the left side clips in fine.

I can live with it but if anyone has a fix, i am willing to listen.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 12:48 AM   #11
11LMBiSTT
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A to B.

Just got this mount.. bummed to find this out.

Any fixes, anyone?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 04:17 AM   #12
JD1100
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4, 4Runner

I was considering this mount because there are no other better options.

but I have a 2016 M4 with leather dash.
Is the gap acceptable ? maybe if you add small washers on the other side to even it out ?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 06:23 AM   #13
11LMBiSTT
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A to B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1100 View Post
I was considering this mount because there are no other better options.

but I have a 2016 M4 with leather dash.
Is the gap acceptable ? maybe if you add small washers on the other side to even it out ?
I installed it and it's not too bad (Dinmann Carbon Climate/Radio Trim installed). Also, it's out of driver view and doubt any passenger will notice it. One fault though, is my phone does move around, maybe because I have a big phone and a case.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 01:28 AM   #14
JagR2611
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82///M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonopr01 View Post
Mine doesn't vibrate at all, even without bottom piece of the mount it's still tight. I have metal plate on the bottom of my phone so I can still use wireless charging at home and it's been holding up good on rough roads. Phone is LG G8 which is a bit bulky and on heavy side along with the protection case but it doesn't move.

On the other note I made this post hoping others would chime in if they're having a gap or not with info about the vehicle year/model/full leather dash or not.
Other than that, I'm satisfied with the mount even after small modification and small gap it still delivers.
I have had no issues at all. Mount is secure with little to no vibration when driving.

Like others, I didn't attach the magnet b/c of wireless charging & it lives in between my phone & leather Apple case.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 04:15 PM   #15
Jwild90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04'E46ZHP 20' F82M4Comp

hmm that's disappointing to hear... I have mounts sitting in my car currently and haven't had chance to install it yet.... would definitely hate to see a gap... thanks for the heads up!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 12:00 AM   #16
f30bmw340i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i

I tried installing it in my 2018 340i (base) RWD, and it was the same issue. I think with youtube videos talking about how "flush" it fits, the expectations run high, therefore disappointing us.
But to be fair, the Head Unit doesn't sit flush OEM either. Here are some photos.

The picture with the arrows shows the two areas where it actually sits on the dash's material instead of going into the gap.

I've also attached photos of the head unit without the mount and with the mount. The camera isn't able to capture it, but you can actually see the inside a sliver even without the mount on. I'm assuming it has an aspect of "ventilation" to the head unit behind it I guess.

However, undoubtedly there is a gap that is created. My assumption is if the metal is bent at the arrow (top), then it would go in but it may cause noise due to metal to metal contact while the car is running. But again, it's my assumption.

I haven't driven around with the phone being mounted. I'll update y'all if there is vibration (with engine in idling and not driving) as well as while driving.

I'm new to the forum, so don't know how to add the images inline to the messages.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0