Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

03-23-2019, 04:02 PM   #1
M3anth
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80

Question Bimmertech MMI Reverse Camera - Manual Transmissions help?

The instructions are lacking regarding the steps needed for a manual transmission car. I'm guessing the extra wire harness that has a gray and purple wire (gray wire is extended by a black wire, purple wire is capped at the end and has a "safe" sticker on it) should be run along side the camera wire that goes from the trunk to the MMI unit? Then this gets plugged into the "M/T" port on the MMI? Then in the trunk the black wire (again, coming from gray wire on the small harness plugged into "M/T" ) should be spliced into the black w/blue wire on the harness plugged into the trunk (picture is in instructions, I believe this is reverse light wire)?

The only thing the instructions say is to attach the gray wire to the black/blue wire on the one harness in the trunk. Nothing about routing it to the MMI or plugging it into "M/T. " I'm just making guesses on what makes sense to me.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 11:54 AM   #2
M3anth
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just an update - Bimmertech emailed me back over the weekend and answered all of my questions. The backup camera is fully installed and working flawlessly.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 04:39 PM   #3
RRedline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 ZCP MN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3anth View Post
Just an update - Bimmertech emailed me back over the weekend and answered all of my questions. The backup camera is fully installed and working flawlessly.
What was the job like? I've got a 17 6MT and was contemplating doing this myself.

I'm comfortable with most DIYs...more about time availability.

Any words of wisdom following your installation experience? How long did it take?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 11:08 PM   #4
M3anth
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRedline View Post
What was the job like? I've got a 17 6MT and was contemplating doing this myself.

I'm comfortable with most DIYs...more about time availability.

Any words of wisdom following your installation experience? How long did it take?
With proper instructions it's really simple. It took me longer than it should have because I didn't realize dropping the glove box was necessary (I tried to avoid it for some stupid reason but it was necessary to find a place to fit the MMI box). And the instructions didn't clearly address wiring for 6MT, and some of the clips and harnesses I was unfamiliar with and didn't want to break anything. I also only had chunks of time to work on it over the weekend. I'd estimate I ended up with 4-5 hours in it start to finish and clean up.

If I did it again it would take 2 hours max. I'll post some specific additional instructions when I have some time. Honestly anyone that can use a screwdriver properly should be able to handle it.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 11:25 PM   #5
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Which color wire did you end up tapping for the reverse light?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 07:55 AM   #6
M3anth
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x.shell View Post
Which color wire did you end up tapping for the reverse light?
There are 3 harness connectors above the battery. On the middle one, it's the black wire with blue stripe going to pin 3. There is a fairly decent picture on page 33 of the instructions. And Bimmertech includes a simple wire splice / tap in connector to make that very easy.
Appreciate 0