European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

03-25-2019, 05:59 AM   #1
Relak
Battle Buddy
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

Dealership left my car unlocked over night and someone broke into it

Interested in getting you alls' (ya'll) opinion on how to handle this situation. I dropped my car off for service last week and the service took a couple days to diagnose and complete. After getting the M3 back on Friday, I sat down and reviewed my dash cam footage over the weekend.

To my surprise at about 8pm on the 19th, a guy is seen on cam walking around my car taking pictures. It's well past closing for this dealer and he is in the service lot, that's partially gated behind the dealership. He appears to be speaking to someone on the phone and excitedly gets in my car when he realizes it's unlocked. I can hear him rummaging through my things and bragging to his contact that he's in an M3. Eventually he realizes I have a dash cam and that it's blinking 'On' and wisely gets out of the car.

Now, I looked in the car and didn't notice anything missing and the interior doesn't show any issue from him being in it. Question is, how would you guys feel if this happened to your vehicle? I'm wondering why the cars in the lot are left unlocked and really glad I didn't have my work laptop in the car at the time. Just want to get your opinion on how you might handle this with the dealer, or if it's even worth bringing up? Thanks.
      03-25-2019, 06:50 AM   #2
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Wow, I’d be pissed

You didn’t suffer any damages though, so I would not make a big stink out of it. But I would definitely bring it up with the dealer as they clearly have a security issue to resolve.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 03-25-2019 at 07:54 AM..
Appreciate 3
      03-25-2019, 07:02 AM   #3
SMGCFP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F82 M4 '23 G05 x40i MSport

That's interesting. Leaving your car unlocked in the lot to me is a fairly major breach. I sold cars in the late 90's and we'd get written up if we didn't secure every car we touched that day. That being said, if you report the breach, someone could get in trouble or even fired. Especially since you have a recording.

I'd let my SA know what happened and see what he/she thinks.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 07:06 AM   #4
G4BR13L
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMGCFP View Post
That's interesting. Leaving your car unlocked in the lot to me is a fairly major breach. I sold cars in the late 90's and we'd get written up if we didn't secure every car we touched that day. That being said, if you report the breach, someone could get in trouble or even fired. Especially since you have a recording.

I'd let my SA know what happened and see what he/she thinks.
Was it left unlocked or did the company owner or one of his employees unlocked the car to show a friend, customer, ... Nevertheless this is unacceptable imho.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 07:12 AM   #5
M3anth
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80

I would 100%, bring it up and start by asking what their policy is for locking customer cars. I'm sure their insurance company wants them locked.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 07:24 AM   #6
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Reminds me of this commercial:

Seriously, though, that is unacceptable. I would show the service manager the footage and ask how they will prevent it from happening in the future. Nothing was damaged or stolen so I wouldn't expect any compensation, but there is something wrong in that service lot if anyone can walk in and get in a customer's car.
      03-25-2019, 07:26 AM   #7
Relak
Battle Buddy
United_States
Rep

when I owned a Ford Shelby GT350 I remember going to the dealer to get something out of the car and they had me go around back to get what I needed. When I got there the key was in a lock box on the window but the comfort access let me unlock the door since the key was in close proximity. I mean, they at least had it locked originally but still sounds to me like some dealers don't really care about vehicle security in their lots.
      03-25-2019, 09:28 AM   #8
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

"sir its OKAY because nothing was stolen and none was hurt!!!!!"
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 09:50 AM   #9
Relak
Battle Buddy
United_States
Rep

I sent a text to my SA this morning and he immediately called me back, sounding very concerned. He's going to have security camera footage pulled and the director "will be in contact with me shortly".

I wonder how many people this happens to that don't have dash cams? I'd be interested in seeing what they find when they review their security camera footage.
      03-25-2019, 10:25 AM   #10
Jim B
Wingman
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Wow, I’d be pissed

You didn’t suffer any damages though, so I would not make a big stink out of it. But I would definitely bring it up with the dealer as they clearly have a security issue to resolve.

+1 I'd complain vigorously to the service manager and the general manager of the dealership, letting them know in uncertain terms that this is totally unacceptable.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 10:35 AM   #11
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Wow I'd be pissed, that dealer needs to reevaluate its security measures and employee access.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 10:51 AM   #12
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

I would definitely complain. Luckily they didn't take anything, but your privacy was violated. If they push back then let them know you have dash cam footage and a lawyer and see if they change their tune.

At the very least you can get a service discount or some free oil changes.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 10:54 AM   #13
Relak
Battle Buddy
United_States
Rep

This is the managers response to my having sent the DashCam footage:

"Good morning. I saw the video.

Our policy is that all vehicles that are parked in the back are locked. That includes when they first go out back after being dropped off by the customer , or being worked on by the tech or being washed. Judging by the time the video was taken, it looks like the late night porters did not lock the vehicle.

I'm very sorry that occurred. We will be refreshing the process to the team, as well as double checking all the vehicles to make sure they are secure.

Again my apologies.

Let me know if you need anything else."
      03-25-2019, 10:58 AM   #14
SMGCFP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F82 M4 '23 G05 x40i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relak View Post

Our policy is that all vehicles that are parked in the back are locked. That includes when they first go out back after being dropped off by the customer , or being worked on by the tech or being washed. Judging by the time the video was taken, it looks like the late night porters did not lock the vehicle.

I'm very sorry that occurred. We will be refreshing the process to the team, as well as double checking all the vehicles to make sure they are secure.

Again my apologies.

They take this process seriously. Behind the scenes, someone got in some trouble.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 10:59 AM   #15
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:

Again my apologies.

Not even $100 off parts or accessories? Lame.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 11:00 AM   #16
Relak
Battle Buddy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntgarage44 View Post
Quote:

Again my apologies.

Not even $100 off parts or accessories? Lame.
Lol. Not one to try and get free stuff out of something but I don't really feel there's much sympathy in his email. Luckily I have the video and will continue to use my DashCam when it's in for service in case anything happens in the future.
      03-25-2019, 11:06 AM   #17
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Lol. Not one to try and get free stuff out of something but I don't really feel there's much sympathy in his email. Luckily I have the video and will continue to use my DashCam when it's in for service in case anything happens in the future.
Neither am I, but I've been given something like that in the past for my service taking longer than they told me it would. Some stranger going through your car is way worse than that. Anyone can say sorry. It's a cheap good-will gesture for catching them with their pants down. Idk, not trying to sound entitled, more of a PR control thing in my opinion.
Appreciate 1
Relak247.00
      03-25-2019, 11:44 AM   #18
FAKE__NEWS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

This is actually hilarious because I'm in your area and I recently traded in my F80. The car was at service over the weekend getting inspected for resale and the doors were unlocked and the sunroof was cracked.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 11:47 AM   #19
Relak
Battle Buddy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAKE__NEWS View Post
This is actually hilarious because I'm in your area and I recently traded in my F80. The car was at service over the weekend getting inspected for resale and the doors were unlocked and the sunroof was cracked.
Wait, someone cracked the sunroof while it was at the dealer..? Was this BMW of Silver Spring?
      03-25-2019, 12:54 PM   #20
solrac6262
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw X5

more crazy is why he didn't took the dash cam LOL. what kind of dash cam do you have??
      03-25-2019, 01:11 PM   #21
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

I'm playing devils advocate here but perhaps he wasn't trying to be malicious and just saw a nice car at a dealership that was unlocked and he wanted to check it out.

That would be my only explanation why he didn't take the dash cam or anything but was more embarrassed he got caught.

Not saying it's ok but just a thought
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 01:19 PM   #22
NoMoreAudi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86

Garage List
2019 X6M  [0.00]
LoL at the lawyer comment. Exactly why the USA is going to shit. Lawyer lawyer lawyer, sue sue sue. If you mention lawyer you'll never get treated the same again (this is a negative).

Nothing was stolen, nothing was damaged. They need to implement corrective action and review security measures for their vehicles on the lot.

If you really want to do something, have the police pull prints off the door handle. Wait- they won't because once they hear that nothing was stolen, they'll just laugh.

Just ask them to clean the interior of your car and move on. They will clean the exterior without you asking, for customer satsifaction.
Appreciate 0