Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

05-09-2017, 12:24 AM   #1
salraf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5, prior F80 M3, E60 M5

Any Giulia QV vs M3/M4 comparison review that doesn't put Alfa ahead?

It seems almost universal from what I have come across that the quadrifoglio is being placed ahead of M3/M4 and that's with comp package.
When I ordered mine, comp pack wasnt available.
Just wondering exactly how good is the quadrifoglio..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 08:08 AM   #2
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by salraf View Post
It seems almost universal from what I have come across that the quadrifoglio is being placed ahead of M3/M4 and that's with comp package.
Not universal - magazines placing Competition Pack ahead:

1) Autozeitung;

2) Car (UK)

3) Autobuild

4) Motorsport (France)

Some of the aforementioned magazines (as well as other) have also obtained faster same day, same track laptimes as well for the ZCP...

One magazine even put comparable tires on a QV, and the QV's times, instead of being faster than the ZCP, were virtually identical.

Bottom line - the two cars are incredibly evenly-matched - really just comes down to personal preference.
Appreciate 3
      05-10-2017, 01:04 PM   #3
neilum
Captain
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

I find it a little bit surprising that people put much stock at all in these comparo's. There is so much subjectivity and at the end of the day just an opinion.

For example one of the MT clowns says the F80 has a dead spot in the steering?, has no steering feel and sounds like crap. First of all, I think the car sounds kind of good actually now that I have lived with it for a year.

I also feel no dead spot in the steering wheel at all, and the steering feel is adequate on the F80's. It not good, but it is definitely not numb.

I honestly stopped watching that stuff or reading reviews for anything other than a simple touch point or entertainment. There have been so many times I watched a review of a car I've driven in hte past and simply disagreed with their criticisms or points they are making.

They are so close in performance I would just drive both and see which one you like better considering looks, interior, road presence, dealer network/reliability, lease rates, etc.

I weighed all of those factors, and feel the M is still a better car overall than the Quad.
Appreciate 2
      05-11-2017, 05:52 AM   #4
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslide View Post
Not universal - magazines placing Competition Pack ahead:

1) Autozeitung;

2) Car (UK)

3) Autobuild

4) Motorsport (France)

Some of the aforementioned magazines (as well as other) have also obtained faster same day, same track laptimes as well for the ZCP...

One magazine even put comparable tires on a QV, and the QV's times, instead of being faster than the ZCP, were virtually identical.

Bottom line - the two cars are incredibly evenly-matched - really just comes down to personal preference.
^ All this

I would add that in some instance, even a base M3/4 (without CP) was found to be faster than the QV around a track.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 06:50 AM   #5
savage.ulm1
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Giulia Q.

these cars are of course very close and and it comes down to personal preference at the end. Btw another review/video from CAR magazine South Africa

05-11-2017, 07:07 AM   #6
FirstF80InSpace
///M You
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche 718 Cayman S

At the end of the day, Alfa's reputation for poor reliability would keep me from the QV.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...r-service-bay/
Appreciate 1
F831355.50
      05-11-2017, 07:40 AM   #7
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilum View Post
I find it a little bit surprising that people put much stock at all in these comparo's. There is so much subjectivity and at the end of the day just an opinion.

For example one of the MT clowns says the F80 has a dead spot in the steering?, has no steering feel and sounds like crap. First of all, I think the car sounds kind of good actually now that I have lived with it for a year.

I also feel no dead spot in the steering wheel at all, and the steering feel is adequate on the F80's. It not good, but it is definitely not numb.

I honestly stopped watching that stuff or reading reviews for anything other than a simple touch point or entertainment. There have been so many times I watched a review of a car I've driven in hte past and simply disagreed with their criticisms or points they are making.

They are so close in performance I would just drive both and see which one you like better considering looks, interior, road presence, dealer network/reliability, lease rates, etc.

I weighed all of those factors, and feel the M is still a better car overall than the Quad.
You seem to be quite personally bothered by what "some clown" says. And even watched the vid. You went on about subjectivity, and then offered your own subjective opinion based on your ownership. Yet, you call someone else with a differing viewpoint and opinion a "clown".
Think about that.

The Giulia Quadrifoglio Verde is the new "hot shit" right now. When everything cools down, and we hear about the reliability, then there maybe a different tune. It's like the wind. It blows one way and then another.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 07:49 AM   #8
savage.ulm1
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstF80InSpace View Post
At the end of the day, Alfa's reputation for poor reliability would keep me from the QV.

this is the main problem with Alfa actually and for Alfa. But personally in 7400 km done until now I would say, simply perfect. Even not a strange noise coming from somewhere ...And the Corsa consumption is optimal...sure not as someone was thinking here (I remember someone writing max 5000 km). No race track until now this is true but plenty of powerslides since I drive only in Race to feel the car and the sound at best.
Then let me say, if we include in the list of magazines reported above, two German ones, we should add two Italian ones for par condicio.
And according to Quattroruote the Q is faster than M4 and stronger. But according to Auto magazine, last issue, they report the Q. 5 sec faster than M4 on their race track and few tenths faster than M4 GTS. So as you see....we can speak forever, but the real fact is that only reliability will decide for the market and future of this car, not you, not me, not someone else here..In the meantime they are selling quite a lot Q. in UK and Germany too and these are facts too..
AUTO:
Attached Images

05-12-2017, 11:42 PM   #9
neilum
Captain
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3andME View Post
You seem to be quite personally bothered by what "some clown" says. And even watched the vid. You went on about subjectivity, and then offered your own subjective opinion based on your ownership. Yet, you call someone else with a differing viewpoint and opinion a "clown".
Think about that.

The Giulia Quadrifoglio Verde is the new "hot shit" right now. When everything cools down, and we hear about the reliability, then there maybe a different tune. It's like the wind. It blows one way and then another.
Well, I am a true car enthusiast and truth seeker in general, and when people don't understand or realize these car reviews are designed for entertainment more than anything else, yet take them more seriously then they should, yes I find that annoying.

I don't expect anyone to take my opinion seriously, as I wouldn't expect the reverse when looking at car reviewers and hearing what they have to say. I've been around a long time and I don't want or need someone else to tell me how it is. This isn't the 80's/90's when one car usually was just better than the others. These cars are so close in almost every way, it just comes down to what you like.

My point is that not enough people go out an actually test drive all of the cars they are interested in, and instead just watch youtube videos to fine tune their "list" and it's not productive.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 09:31 AM   #10
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage.ulm1 View Post
this is the main problem with Alfa actually and for Alfa. But personally in 7400 km done until now I would say, simply perfect. Even not a strange noise coming from somewhere ...And the Corsa consumption is optimal...sure not as someone was thinking here (I remember someone writing max 5000 km). No race track until now this is true but plenty of powerslides since I drive only in Race to feel the car and the sound at best.
Then let me say, if we include in the list of magazines reported above, two German ones, we should add two Italian ones for par condicio.
And according to Quattroruote the Q is faster than M4 and stronger. But according to Auto magazine, last issue, they report the Q. 5 sec faster than M4 on their race track and few tenths faster than M4 GTS. So as you see....we can speak forever, but the real fact is that only reliability will decide for the market and future of this car, not you, not me, not someone else here..In the meantime they are selling quite a lot Q. in UK and Germany too and these are facts too..
AUTO:
That was definitely an outlier for the QV being faster around a track than an M4 GTS:

Lap Times 4
Giulia QV M4 GTS
Grand Tour Eboladrome 1:27.10 1:22.40
Sachsenring 1:37.37 1:33.17
Nürburgring Nordschleife 7:32.00 7:27.88
Hockenheim Short 1:12.40 1:09.60
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 11:16 AM   #11
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3andME View Post
Except in this particular case, he's correct. Lieberman and Cassima are indeed clowns, no-talent ass-clowns who should have their journalistic credentials revoked.
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2017, 11:20 AM   #12
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
I just don't understand it - someone from Italy that owns the Alfa says the Alfa is better
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 1
myzmak2416.50
      05-14-2017, 03:58 PM   #13
savage.ulm1
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
I just don't understand it - someone from Italy that owns the Alfa says the Alfa is better
I don't say it is better..I just added for par condicio (you know what I mean right?) a couple of other reports by Italian magazines since there were two German ones above.Btw Chris Harris is not Italian correct?and sure you know what he thinks so at least you can beleive to him...
I repeat I don't say it is better ..read my post.I just putted a deposit for an M2CS..And that seems to be a German car to me right?just my 3th M car nothing more
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 12:14 AM   #14
salraf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5, prior F80 M3, E60 M5

I am interested in seeing what the quadrifoglio v2.0 will be about.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 05:50 AM   #15
Lister
Jimjamz
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Mineral Grey

I've read an article just recently that said the real quality of the Alfa won't be known for another few years, when we'll know if Alfa's horrible reputation for reliability has been properly addressed.
2001 E46 330i Sedan Silver
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 07:10 AM   #16
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I can't shake this image from my mind:
Attached Images

05-18-2017, 10:17 PM   #17
M4Now!
Captain
Rep
Drives: MG / SO F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstF80InSpace View Post

This

Bye bye E93 M3 - Hello F83 M4!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 09:30 AM   #18
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by salraf View Post
Your impressions are a bit inaccurate.

At the top of this forum is a sticky of a compilation thread I put together showing all reviews.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1067504

A summary of all as of Feb 2017 is here

You'll see the M3/M4 beat the Alfa according to:

- Chris Harris
- BMW Blog
- Autozeitung
- Autobild
- Piston Heads
- Motorsport

It lost according to:
- Car
- Car and Driver
- Motor Trend
- Top Gear Mag

so would seem to be about 6 wins vs 4 losses for M3/M4 vs Alfa.'

That probably tells you the Alfa is a great car. If it were offered in a stick shift, I would seriously consider it against an M3.
      05-22-2017, 02:15 AM   #19
dlk001
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: F83 M4

Topgear South Africa placed M3 competition ahead.

BMW M3 CP Won

BMW M3 - Our Competition Pack is nearly due for its first 20 000km service but it hasn’t thrown up one sign that it’s getting tired. The M3 has been in these situations before and is battle-hardened in ways the others simply aren’t. Throughout our test the M3 was the only one that never had an issue. It always punched back stronger. That’s just the experience of being at the top of its game for the last few decades.

The M3’s mercurial launch control also requires a bit more finessing off the line to yield the results but even if the stopwatch doesn’t clearly show it, it’s the only one that feels collaboratively engaging between man and machine. Damn does it feel alive, even on the flattest, straightest road.

Another Giulia had reliability issues again - "Whining from the Alfa’s differential, the Alfa trundles across my view it sounds a bit sick. So, completely crestfallen, we let it rest, do the fail-safe ‘switch off and on thing’. Leeroy is impressed but less so by the technician hovering around the Giulia’s footwell with laptop in hand, zapping fault codes like a jet fighter in an arcade game. The problem persists at exactly the same fast sweeping left onto Mineshaft and reluctantly the car has to be limped back to the dealership."

C63-S

We eliminate the Mercedes-AMG first. That V8 is truly a mighty special thing but it saturates the experience, plus the rear tyres are forever arguing with the traction control. For sheer sinister presence, it announces itself the earliest and has the best cabin. But it’s not a precision driving instrument and the new Kyalami has called it out.

2009, E92 335i
2005, E90 325i
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 06:39 AM   #20
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtabi View Post
I can't shake this image from my mind:
I can't get passed the grill and front end in general.
Appreciate 0