BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

09-23-2019, 07:41 AM   #1
SMGCFP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F82 M4 '23 G05 x40i MSport

Took a stone to windshield

Took a stone to the windshield on the NYS Thruway Saturday. Didn't even make a huge noise. Looks like a bullet hole lol. Anyway, you guys have any recommendations on getting the windshield replaced?

I'm inclined to ask the dealer, and I'm assuming their body shop can handle it. I'd go with Safelite or something if there's confidence that they will do it correctly. The car has HUD and all the connected drive cameras behind the rear view mirror so want to make sure I don't end up with more problems.

Let me know your thoughts or experiences. Thanks in advance for your help and while I'm sure I could've searched for this, I appreciate anyone with experience sharing. I'm not asking anyone to do my research, just share their experience with me.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 08:24 AM   #2
Eric S
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in pre-order stages

We just had an 09 replaced at a bodyshop. wasnt as expensive as we thought it was going to be.

For something like that, I would go to the dealership and let them deal with the issues that may or may not come up
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 10:47 AM   #3
SMGCFP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks! I have full glass coverage so should be nothing out of pocket to me. I'll call the dealership.

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 06:04 PM   #4
SCS55
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90,F30, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMGCFP View Post
Thanks! I have full glass coverage so should be nothing out of pocket to me. I'll call the dealership.

Thanks again.
My dealership out sources all glass jobs. Yours most likely will do the same.
Also, I went to a Benz dealer to look around and saw a Safelite tech replacing a windshield on the lot.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 06:08 AM   #5
SMGCFP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCS55 View Post
Also, I went to a Benz dealer to look around and saw a Safelite tech replacing a windshield on the lot.
This is what happened. I will take the car to the dealer at some point when the glass company has the glass and they will do it there.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 07:23 AM   #6
ra2289
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMGCFP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCS55 View Post
This is what happened. I will take the car to the dealer at some point when the glass company has the glass and they will do it there.
Sounds like you already have things figured out.

I just recently had to replace my windshield due to a rock and ended up going through my insurance and using Safelite Autoglass.

I was offered OEM or Non-OEM but went with the OEM due to some issues the tech. mentioned he'd seen come up with the non-OEM glass. Mainly the rear view mirror not mounting/aligning properly and interfering with the camera calibrations that need to be run. If you run into calibration issues—which Safelite also does—the dealership won't touch it if it's aftermarket glass, or so I was told.

If you have glass protection then it sounds like you were in a better position than me. I would just be sure to get OEM but I'm sure that's what your coverage will give you.

Edit* Forgot to mention that everything was done at my job so that was a plus for my schedule. I also have HUD and cameras.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 08:01 AM   #7
SMGCFP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yeah, I have the HUD and cameras...I'll be sure to get OEM.
Appreciate 0