INDustry distribution
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-26-2019, 02:54 AM   #1
dezzracer
Lieutenant
United_States
298
Rep
432
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3 CS
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: The Great Mojave Desert

iTrader: (0)

I知 having trouble launching my M3 CS

Launching from a stop is usually a smoke show. LC does not seem to help this car hook. I can usually do it better myself. I've heard starting off in second helps.

Also considering upgrading to Michelin cups. I know they work much better through the twisties but what about from a launch? Do they hook way better? Or just barely better?

I know temperature has a significant impact on all of this but just wondering what your thoughts and ideas are on getting this car to hook better from a start.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 03:04 AM   #2
hellokitty
hello kitty oke ??
hellokitty's Avatar
North Korea
823
Rep
1,793
Posts

Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT | '12 335iS DCT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Korea

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 BMW 335iS  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
I run cup 2s they hook up.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 03:27 AM   #3
dezzracer
Lieutenant
United_States
298
Rep
432
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3 CS
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: The Great Mojave Desert

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
I run cup 2s they hook up.
Do the cups kick up a bunch more debris? I hate the sound of rocks pelting my car. Even the wheel wells. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 07:35 AM   #4
CanAutM3
Lieutenant General
CanAutM3's Avatar
Canada
10375
Rep
16,405
Posts

Drives: 2019 M4cs
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 BMW M4cs  [0.00]
2018 Audi RS3  [0.00]
Yes, the PSC2 offer better grip. Further, since you own a CS, it is really worth it to go with the PSC2 since that's the tire that the CS was designed around. I still don't understand why BMW USA decided to shod the CS in the US with the PSS instead of the PSC2 like everywhere else in the workd.

I got to compare the difference between new PSS and PSC2 first hand and the difference is quite noticible. When I received my M4cs, it was mistakenly delivered with PSS, so I got to drive it on the PSS for about a week before they swapped out to the PSC2. When cold, there is not much difference in grip, however when the PSC2 warm up, the improved grip is quite noticible. Further, the PSC2 are quite stiffer and offer a sharper response.

I also got to experience the PSC2 in the wet and they left me very impressed. We had one track day with moderate to heavy rain and the PSC2 performed flawlessly. I had heard so many bad things about the PSC2 in the wet, I now know from personal experience that it simply isn't true. Since I already have a dedicated set of tires and wheels for the track, I was considering swapping the PSC2 for PS4S as I need a good DD and wet track setup. But after my wet track experience the PSC2, I decided to stick with them.

The PSC2 however does not like cold weather, especially if it is cold AND wet. As a DD tire, they just don't warm up in cold weather and struggle to grip. It's now getting cooler here in Montreal at 3~12degC and I have to be much more careful with the throttle. If it is cold and wet, I have to be very gentle with throttle: I've gotten wheelspin in 7th at 75mph . They are still driveable though, but you do need to adjust your driving. Winter tires are coming on in about three weeks anyhow .

As for launching the car, I've never had issues using Launch Control as long as the tires are clean and properly warmed up and that the launch surface is decently clean. For quick stop light getaways, I do a small prob of the throttle to get the DCT to engage the clutch and I then quickly roll on the throttle. This gives me a quick smooth launch and I've rarely lost stop light drag races using it . If you just aggressively go full throttle from rest, you engage "burn out mode", where the engines revs will rise almost to redline before the DCT dumps the clutch.
__________________
///M4cs 2019 F82 Lime Rock Grey
MPE / CF Mirror caps / MP-HAS / GC Camber plates

Last edited by CanAutM3; 10-26-2019 at 10:19 AM..
Appreciate 3
SYT_Shadow3704.50
zamboni484.50

      10-26-2019, 08:51 AM   #5
RoundelM3
Major General
RoundelM3's Avatar
United_States
1078
Rep
6,104
Posts

Drives: 15 M3 Sedan, 16 228i Cabrio
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Leland, NC

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 228i  [3.00]
Try going to 295-30 width on your rear tires...that will help as well.
__________________

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2016 228i M-Sport Cabrio 8AT Melbourne
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 10:13 AM   #6
hellokitty
hello kitty oke ??
hellokitty's Avatar
North Korea
823
Rep
1,793
Posts

Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT | '12 335iS DCT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Korea

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 BMW 335iS  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzracer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
I run cup 2s they hook up.
Do the cups kick up a bunch more debris? I hate the sound of rocks pelting my car. Even the wheel wells. Lol.
Initially yes but after 500 miles it's not much different than my old PS4S.

I don't run spacers for this reason (I don't want to sandblast my sideskirts and rear quarter panel)
__________________

2012 335iS DCT / MHD / E50 Protune by Wedge / RB 1.75" Inlets / Fuel-It! Stage 2 LPFP / BMS OCC / Mishimoto OCC / Plugged Head Ports / RB PCV / N20 TMAP / VRSF DCI / VRSF 7" FMIC / VRSF DP / ER CP & Tial BOV / Michelin PS4S / PR Coils / NGK 97506 @ .028 gap / M3 Suspension

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 12:21 PM   #7
GNALUZU
Former BMWCCA/NASA AZ HPDE Instructor
GNALUZU's Avatar
United_States
524
Rep
1,169
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3 CS
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Phoenix, AZ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 M3 CS  [0.00]
I just switched from Sports to Cup 2s and can say for daily driving the Cups have worse grip off the line due to not being able to get up to temp. They also tramline more due to the tread pattern.
__________________
GNALUZU

Retired BMW CCA/NASA HPDE Instructor
Now, just a guy who knows a little bit about a lot of stuff

2018 M3 CS
2020 Z4 M40
Appreciate 1
arashir30.00

      10-27-2019, 01:23 AM   #8
dezzracer
Lieutenant
United_States
298
Rep
432
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3 CS
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: The Great Mojave Desert

iTrader: (0)

Hmm.... good stuff. Thanks for the responses. I like the idea of keeping the super sports but going wider to 295/30. I assume they will fit with no rubbing? Anybody else running that size?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 05:50 AM   #9
RyF80
Private First Class
31
Rep
121
Posts

Drives: F80
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

Re71r 🚀
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 08:14 AM   #10
M3PGH
Captain
United_States
295
Rep
972
Posts

Drives: Too Many
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pittsburgh,PA

iTrader: (1)

on a side note , how many miles are you guys getting out of the PSS. Mine is at 8500 miles and the rear seems almost worn may be another 1000 miles
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 10:23 AM   #11
GNALUZU
Former BMWCCA/NASA AZ HPDE Instructor
GNALUZU's Avatar
United_States
524
Rep
1,169
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3 CS
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Phoenix, AZ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PGH View Post
on a side note , how many miles are you guys getting out of the PSS. Mine is at 8500 miles and the rear seems almost worn may be another 1000 miles
I changed mine out at 9k miles.
__________________
GNALUZU

Retired BMW CCA/NASA HPDE Instructor
Now, just a guy who knows a little bit about a lot of stuff

2018 M3 CS
2020 Z4 M40
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 06:45 PM   #12
kss
Private First Class
68
Rep
183
Posts

Drives: 2017 AY F80 ZCP
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Yes, the PSC2 offer better grip. Further, since you own a CS, it is really worth it to go with the PSC2 since that's the tire that the CS was designed around. I still don't understand why BMW USA decided to shod the CS in the US with the PSS instead of the PSC2 like everywhere else in the workd.

I got to compare the difference between new PSS and PSC2 first hand and the difference is quite noticible. When I received my M4cs, it was mistakenly delivered with PSS, so I got to drive it on the PSS for about a week before they swapped out to the PSC2. When cold, there is not much difference in grip, however when the PSC2 warm up, the improved grip is quite noticible. Further, the PSC2 are quite stiffer and offer a sharper response.

I also got to experience the PSC2 in the wet and they left me very impressed. We had one track day with moderate to heavy rain and the PSC2 performed flawlessly. I had heard so many bad things about the PSC2 in the wet, I now know from personal experience that it simply isn't true. Since I already have a dedicated set of tires and wheels for the track, I was considering swapping the PSC2 for PS4S as I need a good DD and wet track setup. But after my wet track experience the PSC2, I decided to stick with them.

The PSC2 however does not like cold weather, especially if it is cold AND wet. As a DD tire, they just don't warm up in cold weather and struggle to grip. It's now getting cooler here in Montreal at 3~12degC and I have to be much more careful with the throttle. If it is cold and wet, I have to be very gentle with throttle: I've gotten wheelspin in 7th at 75mph . They are still driveable though, but you do need to adjust your driving. Winter tires are coming on in about three weeks anyhow .

As for launching the car, I've never had issues using Launch Control as long as the tires are clean and properly warmed up and that the launch surface is decently clean. For quick stop light getaways, I do a small prob of the throttle to get the DCT to engage the clutch and I then quickly roll on the throttle. This gives me a quick smooth launch and I've rarely lost stop light drag races using it . If you just aggressively go full throttle from rest, you engage "burn out mode", where the engines revs will rise almost to redline before the DCT dumps the clutch.
Must be nice to go this long with the summers. I had my winters put on Sept 26 - luckily the day before we had a big snow storm.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 12:48 AM   #13
dezzracer
Lieutenant
United_States
298
Rep
432
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3 CS
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: The Great Mojave Desert

iTrader: (0)

CanAutM3.....lots of good info you wrote there. Thanks for your experience and advice.
Appreciate 1
CanAutM310375.00

      10-28-2019, 01:28 AM   #14
melvyn
Lieutenant
256
Rep
435
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3 CS
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: isle of man

iTrader: (0)

Good info from @CanAutM3 and share his findings.

Just about ready to put my fourth set of Cups on the rear at 12k miles, fronts are getting 8k miles.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 02:01 AM   #15
dezzracer
Lieutenant
United_States
298
Rep
432
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3 CS
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: The Great Mojave Desert

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvyn View Post
Good info from @CanAutM3 and share his findings.

Just about ready to put my fourth set of Cups on the rear at 12k miles, fronts are getting 8k miles.
Damn .. you must be putting some rubber down.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 02:18 AM   #16
melvyn
Lieutenant
256
Rep
435
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3 CS
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: isle of man

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzracer View Post
Damn .. you must be putting some rubber down.
Lucky not to have a national speed limit where I live with lots of unrestricted roads.TC must be working in the background on the rears as the CCB are down to 60k on rears against 70k on fronts, this from 90k front and rear from new.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 10:04 AM   #17
minn19
Major General
minn19's Avatar
United_States
5766
Rep
6,392
Posts

Drives: 19 F150, 19 M550 19 ZL1 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Minnesota

iTrader: (0)

Because "muscle car."
Appreciate 1
CanAutM310375.00

      10-28-2019, 10:29 AM   #18
NYG
Captain
NYG's Avatar
United_States
767
Rep
883
Posts

Drives: 2019 M4 CS
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Brooklyn, NY

iTrader: (0)

You need absolute perfect conditions to hook on launch. I don't even hook with 305 NT01s 95% of the time. This isn't the car for launching from a dig unless you want a huge list of asterisks on successfully doing so. Need an M5 for that.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 09:14 PM   #19
TanzaniteBlue
BMWphile
United_States
17
Rep
49
Posts

Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: NY/NJ

iTrader: (0)

Launch control works flawlessly IF your rears are 90F or above.

My MPSS hook and go every single time with nothing more than some tire squeal.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 02:11 PM   #20
TacoChris
Brigadier General
451
Rep
3,037
Posts

Drives: Sakhir on Sakhir F82
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Jose, CA

iTrader: (33)

I think your car might be equipped with the wrong transmission.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST