GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

10-29-2019, 11:33 PM   #1
623baller
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80

bought a used f80 with f30 led tailights, need some advice on error code

Hi All,

just picked up a 2015 F80 in the last few days

i noticed when i hard brake , i got an error message " left two stage brake lamp malfunction" . i also get the same message for right side after trying it a few times. this code is viewable under vehicle check but is gone as soon as car is turned off and doesnt reappear until the next time i brake hard.

when i got home i checked and brake lights are functioning then i thought maybe it's just an early warning as bulbs may be going bad soon. as soon as i took apart the outer brake lamp to check the bulb then i realized it is F30 taillights lci or led version. i also took apart trunk liner and inner lamp it is also the F30 one.

i guess the good is now i got led tail lights but the bad is how do i actually get rid of the error message whenever i hard brake? is that suppose to be normal or something is wrong like missing a module/harness or coding. i also have no way to confirm if my brake force is working properly or not.

one annoying part, i notice only outer lamp lights up when braking or turn signal on instead of the inner brake lamp also lights up. (see below third pic circled in blue the part that is not lighting up)

also in below pic, i notice outer lamp led is missing, maybe that's whats triggering the 2-stage lamp malfunction error? (see last pic circled in red is missing tail lamp, circled in green is where turn signal led is insertted)

pictures in order of the error message, park light on, when brake are pressed you can see inner is not lit up(same when turn signal is on), outer lamp f30 part #, inner lamp f30 part #, led bulb on outer lamp, missing tail lamp bulb on outer lamp
Attached Images

Last edited by 623baller; 10-29-2019 at 11:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 06:53 AM   #2
Rick4345
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6MT LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 623baller View Post
Hi All,

just picked up a 2015 F80 in the last few days

i noticed when i hard brake , i got an error message " left two stage brake lamp malfunction" . i also get the same message for right side after trying it a few times. this code is viewable under vehicle check but is gone as soon as car is turned off and doesnt reappear until the next time i brake hard.

when i got home i checked and brake lights are functioning then i thought maybe it's just an early warning as bulbs may be going bad soon. as soon as i took apart the outer brake lamp to check the bulb then i realized it is F30 taillights lci or led version. i also took apart trunk liner and inner lamp it is also the F30 one.

i guess the good is now i got led tail lights but the bad is how do i actually get rid of the error message whenever i hard brake? is that suppose to be normal or something is wrong like missing a module/harness or coding. i also have no way to confirm if my brake force is working properly or not.

one annoying part, i notice only outer lamp lights up when braking or turn signal on instead of the inner brake lamp also lights up. (see below third pic circled in blue the part that is not lighting up)

also in below pic, i notice outer lamp led is missing, maybe that's whats triggering the 2-stage lamp malfunction error? (see last pic circled in red is missing tail lamp, circled in green is where turn signal led is insertted)

pictures in order of the error message, park light on, when brake are pressed you can see inner is not lit up(same when turn signal is on), outer lamp f30 part #, inner lamp f30 part #, led bulb on outer lamp, missing tail lamp bulb on outer lamp
My suggestion would be is learn how to code if you don't know or find someone who does.

There is a program called ESys that you can change the tail light settings to led if your car didn't come with them. The inner lights only come on during hard braking. You can also code in the flashing brake light feature that comes on when you brake hard. As turn signals I believe only the outer lights perform that function. Just do a search on the forum and you can find sources for it.

Another benefit is that you can clear error codes with it.

I believe your owners manual is on your Idrive. I also believe you can download it from the BMW website. There is also an app called Drivers Guide that allows you to download the manual to your phone. Always a good first reference point.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 12:54 PM   #3
623baller
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick4345 View Post
My suggestion would be is learn how to code if you don't know or find someone who does.

There is a program called ESys that you can change the tail light settings to led if your car didn't come with them. The inner lights only come on during hard braking. You can also code in the flashing brake light feature that comes on when you brake hard. As turn signals I believe only the outer lights perform that function. Just do a search on the forum and you can find sources for it.

Another benefit is that you can clear error codes with it.

I believe your owners manual is on your Idrive. I also believe you can download it from the BMW website. There is also an app called Drivers Guide that allows you to download the manual to your phone. Always a good first reference point.

yep been doing a bunch of digging on this and other forum

after i coded brake force display type to flash through bimmercode, i no longer get the 2 stage brake lamp error anymore

i actually took apart the trunk liner and outer brake lamp, i believe previous owner already have repinned and necessary wiring in place so i think i'm just missing coding to make inner brake lamp work when turn signal is on as well, will fiddle with that once i have a little information. my guess is the owner either liked how it was set up or when it was taken to the dealer , something got reset and knocked out all the coding.

does anyone know if reverse bulb is the only bulb replaceable on LCI inner brake lamp ? i dont see any brake LED bulbs in the unit but it lights up when im in parking mode so im wondering if the brake LEDs are just not replaceable and goes with the unit.
Appreciate 0