proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-23-2019, 04:13 PM   #1
derpimpkar
Private First Class
72
Rep
194
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (0)

GoPro Mounting Location

I've got a camera just to the right of my rear view but I'm looking to move it.

Has anyone mounted it behind the front seats and if so, how did you do it? I think the rear window may be too far and I don't have a bar to use as a mount.

For those that use the front tow hook, is the video framing decent? I'd be worried you only see sky if you are cresting a hill.

TIA.
__________________
- End of Line
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 05:22 PM   #2
nicknaz
Major General
nicknaz's Avatar
United_States
2611
Rep
9,838
Posts

Drives: 6TT, model 3P, SM, F31 330
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1028895

Check out the suction cup to front seat back idea

Can also mount to your helmet like the sport bike guys
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 07:18 PM   #3
theox05
Private
theox05's Avatar
69
Rep
52
Posts

Drives: 2018 M4
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: CO

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1028895

Check out the suction cup to front seat back idea

Can also mount to your helmet like the sport bike guys
I've tried the seat back position with the official GoPro suction cup, no dice for me. Stays on about 2 minutes and then falls off. This is with the car not moving. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but havent had a lot of luck with that.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 09:07 PM   #4
jmg
Major General
jmg's Avatar
United_States
7199
Rep
8,559
Posts

Drives: F80 M3 CS, I01 i3 REx LCI
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by theox05 View Post
I've tried the seat back position with the official GoPro suction cup, no dice for me. Stays on about 2 minutes and then falls off. This is with the car not moving. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but havent had a lot of luck with that.
The F8X seat back is textured and won't mount with a suction cup. One possible solution is to stick on a mounting disk that is smooth. Measure your suction cup and see if this fits:

https://www.amazon.com/SCOSCHE-DMD-B...-garden&sr=8-1

Personally, I like to mount on my helmet on the right side (top doesn't clear the roof). Here's my setup:





Also note that some tracks require a tether for suction mounted equipment. The helmet mount doesn't need a tether, but the seat back will, and tethering options are limited back there.
__________________
2018 F80 ///M3 CS - Lime Rock Grey Metallic
2019 I01 i3 BEV - Giga World
Previous: F80 M3 | I01 i3 Rex LCI | I01 i3 REx | F30 340i M Sport ZTR | F30 328i Sport | Audi B7 S4 25Quattro #33 of 250 | E21 320i

Last edited by jmg; 10-23-2019 at 09:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 11:21 AM   #5
derpimpkar
Private First Class
72
Rep
194
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (0)

ty all.

i'm going to try the seat back and the helmet, probably together. i like the helmet because i can see how my vision is doing and the seat back for hands.
__________________
- End of Line
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 04:24 PM   #6
Kev608
Second Lieutenant
Kev608's Avatar
United_States
71
Rep
220
Posts

Drives: M4 Competition
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Madison, WI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by derpimpkar View Post
ty all.

i'm going to try the seat back and the helmet, probably together. i like the helmet because i can see how my vision is doing and the seat back for hands.
Check out the M Performance Track Fix. Pretty slick!

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/videos...k-in-a-bmw-m3/

https://burgertuning.com/products/to...-gopro-cameras

Last edited by Kev608; 10-24-2019 at 04:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 02:50 AM   #7
TacoChris
Brigadier General
451
Rep
3,037
Posts

Drives: Sakhir on Sakhir F82
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Jose, CA

iTrader: (33)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
The F8X seat back is textured and won't mount with a suction cup. One possible solution is to stick on a mounting disk that is smooth. Measure your suction cup and see if this fits:

https://www.amazon.com/SCOSCHE-DMD-B...-garden&sr=8-1

Personally, I like to mount on my helmet on the right side (top doesn't clear the roof). Here's my setup:





Also note that some tracks require a tether for suction mounted equipment. The helmet mount doesn't need a tether, but the seat back will, and tethering options are limited back there.
Great video, and no glare from the sun. When I shoot gopro vid from my helmet during mid day California sessions I always end up with vid that looks washed out with light. What is your secret?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 07:29 AM   #8
MaX PL
Major
168
Rep
1,017
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

If you want to mount to seat back, its quite easy. As someone else mentioned, due to the texture of the plastic, you can't just mount it directly to the plastic.

To work around this you have to buy some paper laminating sheets. Cut them about 5mm larger than your suction cup, stick to your seat back, and mount your suction cup. Just do a camera placement check first with the suction cup to know where to stick the lamination sheet.

Also, these sheets are sticky on one side, but the perfect amount of sticky in that they won't leave residue if you remove them. They come right off.

These are the ones I use:
https://www.swingline.com/us/us/v/29...inating-sheets
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 01:18 PM   #9
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
MaynardZed's Avatar
United_States
1066
Rep
1,748
Posts

Drives: wife crazy
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Phoenix

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I used a suction mount to the rear quarter window and a long GoPro arm with my M4 (cf roof). Not too bad of a setup and at least you wouldn’t lose it if it fell off.
__________________
Road course laptimes for BMW M4 2015 6MT
WHP East Track: 1:04.880, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:54.352
Road course laptimes for Porsche 911 991.1 GTS 7MT
WHP East Track: 1:02.770, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:48.889
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 06:56 PM   #10
991dc5
Private
17
Rep
58
Posts

Drives: 991 C2S
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Heres my setup with my hero 7, I will be testing the durability on track Sunday.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:55 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST