Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

10-10-2019, 09:08 AM   #23
Relak
Battle Buddy
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Do you own car or lease?
I own it. I leased my last M4 but I liked the platform so much I decided to go the long term route with the M3.
      10-10-2019, 09:11 AM   #24
Relak
Battle Buddy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
Quicker to go through your own insurance and then have his ins go through subrogation with the other party’s insurance to get paid and get the deductible back.
Very much this. Though, I did have dash cam showing the accident so when I submitted to my insurance they waived the deductible pretty quickly thereafter. Its a crapshoot though on how long it takes to determine fault, whether the other party wants to answer their phone, or if they make up a completely different story that sides in their favor. For those reasons I got a dash-cam to help guarantee and expedite the process.
      10-10-2019, 01:25 PM   #25
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relak View Post
Quote:
Do you own car or lease?
I own it. I leased my last M4 but I liked the platform so much I decided to go the long term route with the M3.
After going through a similar event (minimal rear damage and a $1800 repair), I would have gone with cash as long as you had buyer admitting and agreeing to pay on a smartphone video.

I went for his insurance and now the Carfax shows a rear collision and the car which is perfect is worth about $5000 less with the carfax ding.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 02:03 PM   #26
Relak
Battle Buddy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
After going through a similar event (minimal rear damage and a $1800 repair), I would have gone with cash as long as you had buyer admitting and agreeing to pay on a smartphone video.

I went for his insurance and now the Carfax shows a rear collision and the car which is perfect is worth about $5000 less with the carfax ding.
I understand the concern with the accident diminishing the value of the car, but unfortunately that's just part of vehicle ownership. I personnaly would let a potential buyer know that the vehicle had been in a minor accident (if I were to sell the car) and provide them with the relevant paperwork from the repairs. It pays to be honest.

Also, you can file for a diminished value claim with the insurance company. Its hard to get them to pay what you think you should be paid, but none-the-less they will pay something in most cases. There are certain criteria that need to be met, but if you're worries about the vehicle being worth less, a DMC can help offset the hit you take when you sell the vehicle.
      10-10-2019, 02:25 PM   #27
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Quote:

I understand the concern with the accident diminishing the value of the car, but unfortunately that's just part of vehicle ownership. I personnaly would let a potential buyer know that the vehicle had been in a minor accident (if I were to sell the car) and provide them with the relevant paperwork from the repairs. It pays to be honest.

Also, you can file for a diminished value claim with the insurance company. Its hard to get them to pay what you think you should be paid, but none-the-less they will pay something in most cases. There are certain criteria that need to be met, but if you're worries about the vehicle being worth less, a DMC can help offset the hit you take when you sell the vehicle.
Aware of all this.

The issue is that the Carfax ding will keep potential owners from even getting as far as to explain how minor it was.

A BMW Dealer had literally been begging me to buy my BMW. Now with the Carfax report, he won't even touch it unless on a trade in.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 03:36 PM   #28
Bimmer Pleaser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i RWD

Make sure you ask for diminished value reimbursement. This accident will take thousands off your resale value.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 03:48 PM   #29
TexasF80
Legend
Rep
Drives: M3, RR, S2k, X1, JK

Don't forget to make a Diminished Value claim. Because all of this will show up on a car fax, your car is now immediately worth less. This is a legitimate claim and worth a few k that you can claim...
      10-10-2019, 04:56 PM   #30
HMM
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasF80 View Post
Don't forget to make a Diminished Value claim. Because all of this will show up on a car fax, your car is now immediately worth less. This is a legitimate claim and worth a few k that you can claim...
It took me almost a year to settle my DV claim. I finally had to get my lawyer involved before I got paid. My wife had 1,200 miles on her brand new SUV and got rear ended on the way out of town. It was a fiasco... And the new hatch's seal seam looked terrible but no one besides me knew it but it still bugged me. We kept it for another 160k miles and thankfully no issues before we sold it.
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2019, 06:08 PM   #31
TexasF80
Legend
Rep
Drives: M3, RR, S2k, X1, JK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasF80 View Post
It took me almost a year to settle my DV claim. I finally had to get my lawyer involved before I got paid. My wife had 1,200 miles on her brand new SUV and got rear ended on the way out of town. It was a fiasco... And the new hatch's seal seam looked terrible but no one besides me knew it but it still bugged me. We kept it for another 160k miles and thankfully no issues before we sold it.
That sucks, I got hit by a driver who was excluded on his parents policy. They were broke, he was broke and that meant our insurance covered it plus we lost 3k on trade. It didn't feel the same after and the dealer told us if the accident wasn't on their he would have given us more. He is a friend so I trust him not to BS me. More than irritated at that situation.
      10-10-2019, 07:20 PM   #32
fknlo
Private
Rep
Drives: s2k, f80, Prius

I also got rear ended about a month ago. Way less damage than that as it was a 5 mph hit at most and should only need a new bumper cover. Lowest estimate was still $1800.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 11:25 PM   #33
Chris Paul
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e93 335i MBM, Saddle Brown

Garage List
Sucks that it happened on the purchased one and not the lease, since that's one of the benefits of leasing if/when that happens. Just get it repaired to your satisfaction, settle for nothing less, then enjoy the car and move on.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 07:12 AM   #34
Relak
Battle Buddy
United_States
Rep

So... The Insurance company (USAA) sent me this brochure on Quality Replace Parts or QRP, which basically says they're not obligated to replace with OEM parts. Since my vehicle is older than two years, they're going to attempt to replace the parts with "quality" aftermarket or refurbished non-oem even. That better damn-well not be the case for my Mperformance diffuser...

Also, has anyone had any experience with replacement of a part that's a part of a set but its been discontinued by the manufacturer? I'm pretty sure at least one of the exhaust tips is going to need to be replaced and they no longer made by BMS. If that's the case, will USAA replace it with another brand that doesn't look the same or will they have to replace the set? Thanks for the help and I appreciate the sympathies!
      10-11-2019, 07:23 AM   #35
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Is USAA your insurance or the other guy's insurance? I don't see why there would be any restriction on using OEM parts when the other driver is at fault. I'd understand if it were your fault and you had a policy that specifies it does not use OEM parts, but that is not the case here.
      10-11-2019, 08:32 AM   #36
Bimmer Pleaser
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So... The Insurance company (USAA) sent me this brochure on Quality Replace Parts or QRP, which basically says they're not obligated to replace with OEM parts. Since my vehicle is older than two years, they're going to attempt to replace the parts with "quality" aftermarket or refurbished non-oem even. That better damn-well not be the case for my Mperformance diffuser...

Also, has anyone had any experience with replacement of a part that's a part of a set but its been discontinued by the manufacturer? I'm pretty sure at least one of the exhaust tips is going to need to be replaced and they no longer made by BMS. If that's the case, will USAA replace it with another brand that doesn't look the same or will they have to replace the set? Thanks for the help and I appreciate the sympathies!
Brah, forget about USAA. Go after guilty party's insurance and meanwhile drive the car as is (it is derivable, isn't it?). Firmly ask their insurance for OEM parts and diminished value compensation. You have to play hardball or else these insurance companies will eat you alive. Trust me, I have had experience with these degenerates.

Also drop USAA.
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2019, 11:57 AM   #37
Relak
Battle Buddy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Is USAA your insurance or the other guy's insurance? I don't see why there would be any restriction on using OEM parts when the other driver is at fault. I'd understand if it were your fault and you had a policy that specifies it does not use OEM parts, but that is not the case here.
Coincidentally we both have USAA. I'm just wondering if they can dictate what type of parts are put on the car based on the other person's policy..
      10-11-2019, 12:56 PM   #38
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Coincidentally we both have USAA. I'm just wondering if they can dictate what type of parts are put on the car based on the other person's policy..
Doesn’t sound right. Imagine getting into an accident that is your fault and having the other party object to anything other than OEM parts. OEM parts seems like an entirely reasonable request from someone whose property is damaged. You, as the insured party at fault in that scenario, could be on the hook for the price difference between the OEM part cost and what the insurer would pay.

I don’t know much about insurance laws but it seems like this would be a basic requirement to sell insurance. They may be allowed to try their best to get people to accept other than OEM parts, but I suspect they will need to pay for OEM if pushed.

Maybe USAA is being difficult because they know they are paying the claim. But I would tell USAA NFW and that you insist on OEM parts. Make sure they are clear that you are putting in a claim against the other party’s liability coverage since they are at fault. Make them explain in writing how they can force you to accept other than OEM when paying a liability claim and then ask them what happens in the fictional scenario I described.

Last edited by RickFLM4; 10-11-2019 at 01:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 01:06 PM   #39
Bimmer Pleaser
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I am no lawyer but Insurance company can dictate you the terms only if you are their client, if not you didn't sign or agree to anything. Dealing with USAA as other party's insurance company they should not be able to dictate the terms. Go to the dealership and get estimates for a proper repair as well as diminished value and present those to USAA. Insurance agents are trained to always negotiate so if you accept their first offer you are getting screwed.

Also, small claims court is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 01:03 PM   #40
c0nrad
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 M3  [0.00]
do they even have aftermarket parts for this?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 02:15 PM   #41
Relak
Battle Buddy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0nrad View Post
do they even have aftermarket parts for this?
Some bolts and clips I'd assume are reproduced aftermarket but the insurance company also has a clause that they can use refurbished parts as well. So since I need a new bumper, they looked around at junk yards for a used rear bumper before they authorized the purchase of a new one from BMW.