EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-14-2019, 01:43 AM   #23
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy L Garage View Post
Perhaps you already have BM3 and don’t even know it, which would explain the behavior.
This.

If your car Is a 2016 non comp and it has burbles, then there very may well be a previous tune that is still on the vehicle.

May want to contact bootmode with your vin to see.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 10:22 AM   #24
icebiker
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F83 6MT

Thanks. However the car is CPO so I doubt it would have BM. Wouldn't BMW have run a thorough check on aftermarket coding before certifying it?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 10:54 AM   #25
Sahbatage
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 IR BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebiker View Post
Thanks. However the car is CPO so I doubt it would have BM. Wouldn't BMW have run a thorough check on aftermarket coding before certifying it?
like others have said you could very well have BM3 on the car already and the previous person had rev match enabled in sport+.

As for the dealer checking to see if it was tuned before doing the CPO, not likely. Unless they specifically had a reason to check, like denying a warranty claim, they don't bother checking that stuff and just push it through the CPO program so it can get resold. Worth checking with PTF support for sure, especially if it was tuned prior to you buying it and something ends up happening that you need the warranty for, last thing you need is them denying it and you might have a better chance if you can prove they CPO'd it while it had a tune and prior to you buying it
      10-15-2019, 06:37 PM   #26
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep
Drives: 15 F82 *SOLD*

These cars rev match in efficient and sport, but not sport plus. I do not care for any help on rev matching, because that will not make me a better driver, so I live in sport plus.
Appreciate 2
SherM4n630.00
      10-16-2019, 09:53 AM   #27
alfonseexists
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 with Comp Pack

Garage List
2018 BMW m4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dliner View Post
2018 car production date 12/17. No rev match on sport +
Same for me. God I hate rev match.

You can get a tune to alter rev match’s behavior but they’re warranty implications by doing so
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2019, 12:38 PM   #28
icebiker
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahbatage View Post
Quote:
like others have said you could very well have BM3 on the car already and the previous person had rev match enabled in sport+.

As for the dealer checking to see if it was tuned before doing the CPO, not likely. Unless they specifically had a reason to check, like denying a warranty claim, they don't bother checking that stuff and just push it through the CPO program so it can get resold. Worth checking with PTF support for sure, especially if it was tuned prior to you buying it and something ends up happening that you need the warranty for, last thing you need is them denying it and you might have a better chance if you can prove they CPO'd it while it had a tune and prior to you buying it
Re BM3: It was an interesting theory but no dice. PTF confirms my VIN is not on their database. So it would seem my software is something of a hybrid between the newer models (rev match in all modes) and the older models (ability to turn off revmatch)

Albeit in my case it can be turned off in all modes using a specific sequence of steps. At least I have the ability to turn it off (though not with a simple button push) without turning off DSC. Like many of you, I prefer to match revs myself, though having revmatch helps when I'm feeling lazy ;-).

I appreciate everyone's input here, so thanks for taking the time to respond. I am not sure there's really a solution given the differences in how your cars are behaving and also the reports from drivers on the other revmatch threads. Some of you have no rev match in Sport +, others do but can turn it off with DSC off.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 02:29 PM   #29
literbikes
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G. Telesto M3 w/SO Stitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Rev match in everything but Sport + for me, hence why I always leave the car in Sport +. Will not buy a car where I can't turn it off, I hate it.
Exactly, if it's on and annoying, it's working. Sport+ every time. OEM only works in efficient and sport like everyone said.
Appreciate 1
NickyC17433.00
      10-22-2019, 06:19 PM   #30
specracer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS HS 6MT M8 Comp

I think half of all the posts I have ever made here (probably not literally but feels that way), are expressing my dislike of rev match. So sport plus only. I wish I could break rev match in all modes.
Appreciate 1
SherM4n630.00
      10-22-2019, 06:19 PM   #31
tambat
Do it for a living.
Rep
Drives: F80 MG M3 m/t

I may be mistaken but I believe the latest software update they flash at the dealer will enable rev matching in all modes.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 09:55 AM   #32
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Rev match in everything but Sport + for me, hence why I always leave the car in Sport +. Will not buy a car where I can't turn it off, I hate it.
Why do you hate it??
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 10:44 AM   #33
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by drF80 View Post
Why do you hate it??
It's intrusive and to me it feels like the clutch is slipping. I want a 6MT, which means I do the rowing and the rev matching. If I wanted an auto tragic, I'd just buy one of those.
Appreciate 1
SherM4n630.00
      10-28-2019, 12:08 PM   #34
DFW_M
Major General
Rep

Quote:
It's intrusive and to me it feels like the clutch is slipping. I want a 6MT, which means I do the rowing and the rev matching. If I wanted an auto tragic, I'd just buy one of those.
Not sure what you're trying to say and why are you mixing automatic with MT in this case.
That is not the point of rev matching.

I understand it is subjective, been driving MT last 30 years and rev matching is a great feature IMO
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 03:45 PM   #35
CanIDeductIt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i, Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by drF80 View Post
Not sure what you're trying to say and why are you mixing automatic with MT in this case.
That is not the point of rev matching.

I understand it is subjective, been driving MT last 30 years and rev matching is a great feature IMO
I second this opinion, although will disclose I'm not an owner yet. During my several test drives I thought it was a great feature, especially for street use. Heel and toe is satisfying when done right, but in past cars you really need to be on the brakes to smoothly heel and toe. For street driving auto rev match makes for a smoother and nicer experience when downshifting for turns or traffic conditions in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 06:06 PM   #36
FrenchiedadSF
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP

Mine is a late 2018 build and will only rev match in Sport+ with DSC OFF
Appreciate 1
icebiker504.00
      10-30-2019, 10:54 AM   #37
DFW_M
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchiedadSF View Post
will NOT?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 01:38 PM   #38
9M71
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchiedadSF View Post
Interesting. I have a 2018 and will need to try this. Right now, no rev match in sport+.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 08:29 PM   #39
icebiker
Lieutenant
Rep

So while I wait for Customer Relations to get back to me, I noticed the following on my BMW Connected app: the Transmission Mode is categorized as "Event Based". Is it this way for you guys as well or do you know what it means? To me, "Event Based" sounds like certain conditions (like driving style, speed, etc) have a say in what mode the transmission is in, as opposed to something like "User Selected". Is there another mode category other than "Event Based"?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 09:01 PM   #40
Keca10
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M3 ZCP / '20 X3 M40i

To me, the transmission mode reads like communication mode for the connected app. Nothing to do with the power train transmission.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 09:21 PM   #41
icebiker
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keca10 View Post
To me, the transmission mode reads like communication mode for the connected app. Nothing to do with the power train transmission.
That makes more sense. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 11:14 AM   #42
9M71
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9M4N71U View Post
Interesting. I have a 2018 and will need to try this. Right now, no rev match in sport+.
Just tried - there is no rev match in any spot+ mode regardless of traction settings (2018MY)
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 11:59 AM   #43
icebiker
Lieutenant
Rep

Update

So, in the course of experimenting with this situation, I've come across an interesting way to toggle rev match on vs off.

Background: As you'll note from my original post, my 2016 is either always rev match on, or I could force rev match off (albeit in all driving modes) by letting the car sit locked for 20 mins, then starting it up, then pressing sport +. Obviously this is not the way it's supposed to work, which most of you have confirmed ( thanks again for your responses).

New discovery: I can achieve the same result without having to let the car sit locked for 20 mins. Instead, I simply press the start button once (but don't start the engine), then select sport + mode, then start the engine. After that, no rev match in any mode throughout the drive. If on the next drive I want to relax and let the transmission do the work for me I simply start 'er up normally, and it's rev match in all modes.

As I think about it, this is what a lot of people in other rev match threads have been looking for and frankly is something (for me anyway) that is the next best thing to on-the-fly toggling between off and on. The advantage of this out-of-norm condition is not being limited to a specific mode in order to enjoy matching revs myself.

For those that have later coding in which rev match is always on unless DSC is off, you might want to try this trick and see if it works for you.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 06:56 PM   #44
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
So, in the course of experimenting with this situation, I've come across an interesting way to toggle rev match on vs off.

Background: As you'll note from my original post, my 2016 is either always rev match on, or I could force rev match off (albeit in all driving modes) by letting the car sit locked for 20 mins, then starting it up, then pressing sport +. Obviously this is not the way it's supposed to work, which most of you have confirmed ( thanks again for your responses).

New discovery: I can achieve the same result without having to let the car sit locked for 20 mins. Instead, I simply press the start button once (but don't start the engine), then select sport + mode, then start the engine. After that, no rev match in any mode throughout the drive. If on the next drive I want to relax and let the transmission do the work for me I simply start 'er up normally, and it's rev match in all modes.

As I think about it, this is what a lot of people in other rev match threads have been looking for and frankly is something (for me anyway) that is the next best thing to on-the-fly toggling between off and on. The advantage of this out-of-norm condition is not being limited to a specific mode in order to enjoy matching revs myself.

For those that have later coding in which rev match is always on unless DSC is off, you might want to try this trick and see if it works for you.
That's great, wish it was that easy on mine.
Appreciate 0