Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

11-07-2019, 01:04 AM   #1
dsw_408
Registered
Rep
Drives: M3

6MT: Heat coming from shifter area

Hi, I have a 6MT 2018 M3 that has about 20k miles which seems to radiate heat near the shifter area/center console after driving about 20 to 30mins in a non-spirited manner, and seems to continually get hotter until I turn the a/c on. The heat becomes more noticeable and prominent under spirited driving and reaches much higher temperatures compared to normal driving conditions.

A foreman at my local BMW dealership claims this is normal for the car and that all the heat shielding is in place and undamaged. He recommended I use the a/c to counteract the heat, but this solution sounds ridiculous to me.

Anyone else have this issue? If you had this issue, what did you do to fix it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 08:25 AM   #2
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: DV F80

Normal bro. In fact, all 4 of my M3's, two e46 and two f80's, shifter area is always "warm".
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2019, 11:31 AM   #3
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

I haven't noticed this
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2019, 01:15 AM   #4
dsw_408
Registered
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbennettksu View Post
Normal bro. In fact, all 4 of my M3's, two e46 and two f80's, shifter area is always "warm".
Thanks for your input. Does the heat you've noticed ever get hot enough where you have to turn the a/c on to cool down the shifter area too?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 04:17 AM   #5
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW anymore

Does turning on the heat on make the area around the shifter hotter? If so, there may be a leak in the ducting below the A/C control panel and forward of the shifter. I had my 2018 apart to hunt for rattles and at least one duct there is held in place with a rubber band.

I would carefully examine the shifter area for evidence of airflow leakage with the A/C on, and especially if it has a localized effect on the shifter area temperature. Use your hands to feel for airflow at any of the trim panel gaps and around the buttons.

The technician is generally correct, though. Heat from the running gear will radiate into the cabin and using the air conditioner will counteract any excess heat. I don’t notice it much, but I have a DCT, so my hands stay on the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 07:20 AM   #6
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: DV F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsw_408 View Post
Thanks for your input. Does the heat you've noticed ever get hot enough where you have to turn the a/c on to cool down the shifter area too?
on my f80's I haven't noticed; but, my right leg would get considerably warm on the e46's

If its to a point where you're uncomfortable, there may be an issue. I didnt drive the car today, but I will this weekend and I'll report back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 01:28 PM   #7
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 6MT

I haven't noticed such thing even while tracking it.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 09:06 PM   #8
SynTom
IAM Roadsmart Fellow
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Coupé

Is your rear heat dial turned all the way up? Every F series BMW I've ever had extended use of gets a very very very hot centre console when the heat is on in the rear. My solution is to cycle the rear vents to the cold setting. I live in the UK where it's always cold so my heat is always on.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 07:47 PM   #9
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

When I had my CAE shifter installed, it would blow out warm air from the boot. It felt good on my hand on cold days.

Appreciate 1
      11-24-2019, 06:07 PM   #10
Ravcik
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2015| M3 | Manual Transmission

This is not a issue, this is normal.
Don't worry about this.
Appreciate 0