ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-13-2022, 01:18 PM   #1
Zaidorade
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4

GTS Flash & a Stock Crankhub

Hey guys, just purchased a 2016 F82 M4 & I'm so excited to get to drive it this summer. I wanted to do a flash on the car to update the software from iDrive 4 to 6 (Along with Apple Carplay) /w a GTS Flash included

http://https://bimmer-remote.com/collections/all-products/products/2016-f8x-ultimate-pack-idrive-6-carplay-fullscreen-gts-performance
this one in particular.

I know that preventative measures on a stock crankhub is all about driving habits (kickdown, aggressive downshifting). However, how does the GTS flash affect the drivability when it comes to crank hub health. Smoother transmission from the flash should = a safer experience with a stock crank hub right?

Maybe some one can shed some light and recommend whether or not I should go ahead with the GTS flash or not.

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2022, 01:31 PM   #2
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

GTS DCT is the best DCT tune IMO. I’ll be flashing it on once my warranty is up.

As for CH, there are so many factors that lead to a spin and it’s extremely uncommon to happen to stock cars (up to and including the GTS). AFAIK driving habits, kick downs, etc have never been proven to make a difference to your CH.
      03-13-2022, 03:42 PM   #3
NSX2M4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP- RIVIAN R1S QUAD

Get the GTS flash. Leave the stock CH in.
I do kind of miss the neck snapping shifts of the comp tune but downshifting is so much better.
The GTS burbles are great too. They're way less bubbly sounding.
Appreciate 2
      05-29-2022, 12:08 AM   #4
AychShake
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Competition

Does the flash effect your warranty at all?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 05:05 AM   #5
jaylazy2020
Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX2M4 View Post
Get the GTS flash. Leave the stock CH in.
I do kind of miss the neck snapping shifts of the comp tune but downshifting is so much better.
The GTS burbles are great too. They're way less bubbly sounding.

I've been pondering getting the GTS flash too.

I find the burbles in sport plus mode on lift off in second gear to be cool.

Are the GTS burbles much less?

Furthermore as the other poster says do it affect warranty?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 09:15 AM   #6
Ropes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CS

Everything you do affects warranty. If concerned about the warranty, wait. I have had the GTS DCT then the xHP flash for about 70k+ miles without issue.
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2022, 08:56 AM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AychShake View Post
Does the flash effect your warranty at all?
The dealership can refuse to do a repair for free if they think your modification caused the damage.

The flash tune can affect the warranty if you had a failed engine, turbo, transmission, or crank hub. It won't affect the warranty if it's an unrelated repair.

A failed crank hub can happen with any power level even stock, but from what I have seen it's more common when running over stage 2 power.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 09:12 AM   #8
NSX2M4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylazy2020 View Post
I've been pondering getting the GTS flash too.

I find the burbles in sport plus mode on lift off in second gear to be cool.

Are the GTS burbles much less?

Furthermore as the other poster says do it affect warranty?

Thanks
Only thing changed is the tone of the burble.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 10:56 AM   #9
TractionControlDelete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82-E92 M3-E46 M3-E30-S1K-330i

Garage List
2004 X5  [9.00]
2006 325i  [10.00]
2021 S1000RR  [9.50]
2006 330i  [7.75]
1986 325e  [10.00]
2005 M3  [7.40]
2009 M3  [8.63]
2018 M4  [10.00]
OP, the package linked doesn't affect burbles fwiw. And it isn't the type of GTS tune that affect will power - it's specifically DCT, Differential, suspension, and steering. So while, the DCT part could theoretically affect your crank hub I think what many here are discussing is a flash tune that will affect your boost levels and push you car to make GTS level hp/lb-ft

Seems cool though. About to get it - I have a 6MT though so maybe not if it's for DCT only 🤷*♂️

https://youtube.com/@tractioncontroldelete
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 05:56 PM   #10
TractionControlDelete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82-E92 M3-E46 M3-E30-S1K-330i

Garage List
2004 X5  [9.00]
2006 325i  [10.00]
2021 S1000RR  [9.50]
2006 330i  [7.75]
1986 325e  [10.00]
2005 M3  [7.40]
2009 M3  [8.63]
2018 M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F82KPowers View Post
OP, the package linked doesn't affect burbles fwiw. And it isn't the type of GTS tune that affect will power - it's specifically DCT, Differential, suspension, and steering. So while, the DCT part could theoretically affect your crank hub I think what many here are discussing is a flash tune that will affect your boost levels and push you car to make GTS level hp/lb-ft

Seems cool though. About to get it - I have a 6MT though so maybe not if it's for DCT only 🤷*♂️
UPDATE: So after learning about the F8X flash package from the link OP posted above, I decided to check it out for my 2018 F82 ZCP 6MT. I already had an ENET cable and figured " hey what could be the downside, right" (besides bricking my car - but whatever, that's not the point haha).

Here's how it went - I reached out using the website chat feature and got a response right away. This was important for me because I have a 6MT so if it was DCT specific then obviously I wouldn't proceed. I got a quick answer and even got a coupon for 10% off. Other than this coupon, I don't have any relationship with the company or anyone in the company - and I don't get anything for what I have written below so it's just my sincere impression as someone who paid for the product.

After I paid, I received an email with the instructions to download/install some files as well as a remote access program on my PC. One of the files was around 10GB so the biggest part of the wait was for my slow (almost decade old) PC. Also in the email was a phone number that I iMessaged once I was ready.

The iMessage response was super fast. Once I had the car ready and texted the remote access credentials it was hands off for me. I just sat in my car listening to music and browsing this forum while watching it play out. I think it was a little over an hour start to finish.

Results: So I got the GTS/CS package as well as full screen CarPlay.

1. First CarPlay… amazing. It gave me full screen access which was what I really wanted so I could run Waze full screen so I can keep an eye out while speeding through the Mexican wilderness (along with radar and keen eyes of course). I believe there is screen mirroring and Video in Motion as bonuses too but I didn't check yet.

2. Steering… this part is subtle but it's definitely improved as I can actually use Sport+ and it feels useful - I'd liken this change to a switch to monoball front bushings in that the improvement is subtle but noticeable enough that I wouldn't return to how things were beforehand. Mid-corner adjustments feel more responsive - again, subtle but it's noticeable.

3. CS Suspension… this was the biggest change I've noticed. I'm kind of blown away to be honest. The suspension is so much more compliant in each setting. Critical Caveat - I don't give a damn about firm suspensions and I didn't need it softer for road manners. However, suspensions that are too stiff don't actually do a good job putting down power. I come from riding and racing motorcycles since I was 8 years-old and from that experience I've always paid close attention to the suspension doing it's job because if it doesn't then the tires can't do their job. As such, I prefer cars that settle quickly so I can depend on my tires. Now that the damping has been retuned the car is much better at settling on the road quickly and therefore transferring the weight appropriately. I would've paid just for this change alone. The closet comparison I can make is to the Alfa QV (if you've driven one) where the suspension is softer and actually comfortable but in a way that allows it to put the power down. Prior to the flash it was more Focus RS-like where the suspension is a little too firm to put the power down.

4. MDM and Active Diff… I can't attest to these aspects yet because I haven't gotten a chance to safely test them. However, one big difference I noticed was when I was leaving my driveway the car had an easier time to get out - I live on a steep hill such that when I back out on an angle I have one rear wheel with less road contact… I turn on MDM to get out smoothly but the diff always acts a little hiccupy BUT it didn't after the retuning. I sincerely didn't expect any changes for something so mundane but I believe it bodes well for more spirited driving. Fingers crossed.

TL;DR - http://bimmer-remote.com rocks and I really understand why there are so many positive reviews of the coding.

https://youtube.com/@tractioncontroldelete
Appreciate 4
      05-30-2022, 06:11 PM   #11
Fat Goose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F83 ZCP 6MT | F/A-18E

Quote:
UPDATE: So after learning about the F8X flash package from the link OP posted above, I decided to check it out for my 2018 F82 ZCP 6MT. I already had an ENET cable and figured " hey what could be the downside, right" (besides bricking my car - but whatever, that's not the point haha).

Here's how it went - I reached out using the website chat feature and got a response right away. This was important for me because I have a 6MT so if it was DCT specific then obviously I wouldn't proceed. I got a quick answer and even got a coupon for 10% off. Other than this coupon, I don't have any relationship with the company or anyone in the company - and I don't get anything for what I have written below so it's just my sincere impression as someone who paid for the product.

After I paid, I received an email with the instructions to download/install some files as well as a remote access program on my PC. One of the files was around 10GB so the biggest part of the wait was for my slow (almost decade old) PC. Also in the email was a phone number that I iMessaged once I was ready.

The iMessage response was super fast. Once I had the car ready and texted the remote access credentials it was hands off for me. I just sat in my car listening to music and browsing this forum while watching it play out. I think it was a little over an hour start to finish.

1. First CarPlay… amazing. It gave me full screen access which was what I really wanted so I could run Waze full screen so I can keep an eye out while speeding through the Mexican wilderness (along with radar and keen eyes of course). I believe there is screen mirroring and Video in Motion as bonuses too but I didn't check yet.

2. Steering… this part is subtle but it's definitely improved as I can actually use Sport+ and it feels useful - I'd liken this change to a switch to monoball front bushings in that the improvement is subtle but noticeable enough that I wouldn't return to how things were beforehand. Mid-corner adjustments feel more responsive - again, subtle but it's noticeable.

3. CS Suspension… this was the biggest change I've noticed. I'm kind of blown away to be honest. The suspension is so much more compliant in each setting. Critical Caveat - I don't give a damn about firm suspensions and I didn't need it softer for road manners. However, suspensions that are too stiff don't actually do a good job putting down power. I come from riding and racing motorcycles since I was 8 years-old and from that experience I've always paid close attention to the suspension doing it's job because if it doesn't then the tires can't do their job. As such, I prefer cars that settle quickly so I can depend on my tires. Now that the damping has been retuned the car is much better at settling on the road quickly and therefore transferring the weight appropriately. I would've paid just for this change alone. The closet comparison I can make is to the Alfa QV (if you've driven one) where the suspension is softer and actually comfortable but in a way that allows it to put the power down. Prior to the flash it was more Focus RS-like where the suspension is a little too firm to put the power down.

4. MDM and Active Diff… I can't attest to these aspects yet because I haven't gotten a chance to safely test them. However, one big difference I noticed was when I was leaving my driveway the car had an easier time to get out - I live on a steep hill such that when I back out on an angle I have one rear wheel with less road contact… I turn on MDM to get out smoothly but the diff always acts a little hiccupy BUT it didn't after the retuning. I sincerely didn't expect any changes for something so mundane but I believe it bodes well for more spirited driving. Fingers crossed.

TL;DR - http://bimmer-remote.com rocks and I really understand why there are so many positive reviews of the coding.
I had the same results in my ‘18 6MT! I love it. The suspension is actually the CS EDC coding, as the GTS does not have EDC.
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2022, 08:41 PM   #12
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Yah it’s really a revelation how much better the CS suspension coding is; before my current car I was either going to get a CS or a 6MT ZCP with the intent to retrofit the CS setup. Also GTS steering is something you appreciate more and more with time, the lack of dead spot and more elastic return-to-center is how it should have always been. All these things are a non-negotiable add-ons IMO - If F8X came like this from factory, I have no doubt it would have been received insanely well.
      01-15-2023, 01:23 PM   #13
jaylazy2020
Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Quote:

Yah it's really a revelation how much better the CS suspension coding is; before my current car I was either going to get a CS or a 6MT ZCP with the intent to retrofit the CS setup. Also GTS steering is something you appreciate more and more with time, the lack of dead spot and more elastic return-to-center is how it should have always been. All these things are a non-negotiable add-ons IMO - If F8X came like this from factory, I have no doubt it would have been received insanely well.

Sorry to revive an old thread but only got my GTS flash last week.

Gear change is much smoother.

Steering in comfort feels heavier but with nice feel and I just need to get used to it.

One thing I'm most curious about is the change to comfort suspension

I've always had to use comfort suspension for the last year due to terrible Irish roads

What are peoples thoughts?

I may have imagined it but I found it a little bit more bouncy on the motorway.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 07:55 PM   #14
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Sorry to revive an old thread but only got my GTS flash last week.

Gear change is much smoother.

Steering in comfort feels heavier but with nice feel and I just need to get used to it.

One thing I'm most curious about is the change to comfort suspension

I've always had to use comfort suspension for the last year due to terrible Irish roads

What are peoples thoughts?

I may have imagined it but I found it a little bit more bouncy on the motorway.

Thanks
Does your car have the competition package? The CS tune assumes you have competition package dampers - might have suboptimal performance with base dampers.
      02-08-2023, 09:28 AM   #15
jaylazy2020
Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

Mine is a 2018 competition package.

Now that I’ve had the Gts flash for month

I’m considering going back to stock

I’ve noticed some clunky changes to second gear and I’m pretty comfort suspension is not as fluid.

Has anyone else reverted to stock?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 12:32 PM   #16
NSX2M4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Mine is a 2018 competition package.

Now that I’ve had the Gts flash for month

I’m considering going back to stock

I’ve noticed some clunky changes to second gear and I’m pretty comfort suspension is not as fluid.

Has anyone else reverted to stock?
I think I might. I actually miss the comp trans tune the car came with. When I drive the car hard, I can smell the clutches. There's way too much slip. I'm going to keep the EDC and steering if I can but the diff and trans, not sure I like it anymore. Lots of clunks and slipping.
      02-11-2023, 02:13 PM   #17
jaylazy2020
Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
I think I might. I actually miss the comp trans tune the car came with. When I drive the car hard, I can smell the clutches. There's way too much slip. I'm going to keep the EDC and steering if I can but the diff and trans, not sure I like it anymore. Lots of clunks and slipping.

Interesting you say that as I more clunks going in to second gear when driving slowly than I had before so my guess would be the GTS set up may not be best suited to a daily driver when you are stuck in traffic!

When I’m driving flat all is fine.

My biggest complaint is the steering in comfort mode is now too heavy and slow

I’m also convinced the comfort setting on the dampers now causes more bounce and undulations on motorway which again is annoying as a daily driver.

Two questions

How can you you revert to stock and how can you cherry pick which parts to keep?

I got the GTS flash from BMW remote(who are superb with CarPlay coding and GTS coding)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 03:47 PM   #18
NSX2M4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Interesting you say that as I more clunks going in to second gear when driving slowly than I had before so my guess would be the GTS set up may not be best suited to a daily driver when you are stuck in traffic!

When I’m driving flat all is fine.

My biggest complaint is the steering in comfort mode is now too heavy and slow

I’m also convinced the comfort setting on the dampers now causes more bounce and undulations on motorway which again is annoying as a daily driver.

Two questions

How can you you revert to stock and how can you cherry pick which parts to keep?

I got the GTS flash from BMW remote(who are superb with CarPlay coding and GTS coding)
If you used bimmer-remote just email them. If I'm not mistaken, the EDC, DIFF, DCT, and steering are all separately coded in.
      02-12-2023, 08:30 AM   #19
jaylazy2020
Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
If you used bimmer-remote just email them. If I'm not mistaken, the EDC, DIFF, DCT, and steering are all separately coded in.
Thanks.

As I left this morning from a cold start the change from 1st to 2nd was the worst I’ve ever felt since I’ve owned my 2018 F82 DCT comp Nov 2021

So given the DCT and steering and suspension are all worse I’ll just get it back to stock.

To be fair the car doesn’t kangeroo from cold in first like it used to but I can’t handle the clunky sound and feel. I currently have which seems to be getting worse
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 12:42 AM   #20
Metalm4
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4

Just a hint. If you had read some articles and threads about diy coding, you can do these simple things on your own within 5 Minutes, without spending hundreds of bucks for that
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 06:16 AM   #21
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalm4 View Post
Just a hint. If you had read some articles and threads about diy coding, you can do these simple things on your own within 5 Minutes, without spending hundreds of bucks for that
Last week I caught a plumber watching a YouTube DIY on his cell phone while he was under my kitchen sink. True story.
Appreciate 2
      02-16-2023, 08:43 AM   #22
jaylazy2020
Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalm4 View Post
Thanks for the heads up.

Could you send some links to the software and everything that is required?
Appreciate 0