R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

Closed Thread

12-20-2018, 08:27 PM   #111
m4newjersey
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soden82 View Post
So glad this isn't me because I'd be that dumb idiot that reciprocated and goes to his house and drags him off the front steps. Don't let this a hole force you to move and not drive your baby!
I love that car and no one is gonna make me stop driving diving it.

Sorry Bill
Appreciate 4
RowanBuds1707.00
minn1914037.50
stormlv932.00
      12-20-2018, 08:53 PM   #112
HMM
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

My buddy down the street lives next to a loud mustang. I hear it pass in the mornings headed out. And my neighbor across the street leaves real early and I hear his truck start up and idle every morning since it sits outside his garage, it's basically my reminder to jump in the shower and stop snoozing the alarm. I'm a car guy so all the noise doesn't bother me at all. They all suffered through my diesel (6.0L Ford that whistled loudly - straight piped and no cat too) being driven a couple times a week to work for years until I just recently sold it. I never heard the first complaint thankfully but I never let it idle before leaving. Perks of a climate controlled garage.

Luckily I bought the house from the crazy people, everyone that remembers them is very happy to have us...lol I also keep one of the nicer yards in my hood. I probably could put a car up on blocks and I doubt anyone would care...lol

Good luck OP and document and NEVER lose your cool. No way they can say anything about a stock car that hasn't been modified. I might see if the local BMW dealership will give you an inspection saying the exhaust is stock so you can have that for the court date.
Appreciate 1
minn1914037.50
      12-20-2018, 09:03 PM   #113
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
You mentioned an HOA that decided not to take action on your neighbor's claim for excessive noise because your car is stock. At least one person has made a negative comment about HOAs, but they can also be an ally.

Since you have video proof of your neighbor throwing a rock towards your home and photo proof of the damage, take it to your HOA board. They must have something to use against a resident that damages another resident's property. They may also be able to add the cost of the damages to their HOA assessment and take a lien on his property if he doesn't pay.

You've done nothing wrong and your neighbor has thrown a rock through your window and harasses and intimidates you by taking video of you leaving your home. Time to be proactive with the HOA and have them address the issue.

Also consider taking him to small claims court to have him pay the damages. You have the proof.

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 09:05 PM   #114
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowanBuds View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgere View Post
Well, we are for sale, so pm me if you are serious.

Btw I came here from Brooklyn and the sense of privacy, openness, and quietness makes you a different person. Here people are very nice and polite, nobody is trying to cut anyone in the line because lines are rare. No honking at traffic lights even during rush hour, no crazy drivers, plenty of parking spaces everywhere, etc. maybe 20 years ago suburban life would be a downside if you prefer a vibrant life style but today any town you go you can get food and fancy stores the same way as in big city. Subs don't replace the city life but it is not a big compromise while you also gain some life qualities which in cities just impossible
I'm pretty sure an acre with home already on it in CT will be well above my comfort budget, but PM incoming.
Not really. I thought the same when I came here. For the price of a tiny 3 bedroom apt in average neighborhood of Brooklyn, you can get 3k sq feet house in Stamford with acre and 2 car garage. In Brooklyn my commute to the Chelsea area in the city where I worked was 1 hour 20 min on a crazy subway. From Stamford my commute was the same minus the crazy. It I soon found a job locally. My commute is now 20-35 min in M3 on curvy well paved roads.

Another thing to consider state income tax and sales tax is much lower in CT.

However, do not get my message as CT is cheap. By no means it is. You will probably pay about the same as you do now but gain some qualities which are not there in the crazy world.
      12-20-2018, 10:01 PM   #115
m4newjersey
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
You mentioned an HOA that decided not to take action on your neighbor's claim for excessive noise because your car is stock. At least one person has made a negative comment about HOAs, but they can also be an ally.

Since you have video proof of your neighbor throwing a rock towards your home and photo proof of the damage, take it to your HOA board. They must have something to use against a resident that damages another resident's property. They may also be able to add the cost of the damages to their HOA assessment and take a lien on his property if he doesn't pay.

You've done nothing wrong and your neighbor has thrown a rock through your window and harasses and intimidates you by taking video of you leaving your home. Time to be proactive with the HOA and have them address the issue.

Also consider taking him to small claims court to have him pay the damages. You have the proof.
we are preparing to file our counter suit! Spoke to the HOA and they tell us they can’t do much about this other than mediation. Since he filed a suit the HOA mediation isn’t really useful now.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 10:02 PM   #116
m4newjersey
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMM View Post
My buddy down the street lives next to a loud mustang. I hear it pass in the mornings headed out. And my neighbor across the street leaves real early and I hear his truck start up and idle every morning since it sits outside his garage, it's basically my reminder to jump in the shower and stop snoozing the alarm. I'm a car guy so all the noise doesn't bother me at all. They all suffered through my diesel (6.0L Ford that whistled loudly - straight piped and no cat too) being driven a couple times a week to work for years until I just recently sold it. I never heard the first complaint thankfully but I never let it idle before leaving. Perks of a climate controlled garage.

Luckily I bought the house from the crazy people, everyone that remembers them is very happy to have us...lol I also keep one of the nicer yards in my hood. I probably could put a car up on blocks and I doubt anyone would care...lol

Good luck OP and document and NEVER lose your cool. No way they can say anything about a stock car that hasn't been modified. I might see if the local BMW dealership will give you an inspection saying the exhaust is stock so you can have that for the court date.
That’s actually a really good idea. I need to schedule service soon anyway. I will get them to document the exhaust hasn’t been modified! Thanks for the good idea!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 10:36 PM   #117
dave_112
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: m3 e92

Cold start removal is the only way makes the car far nicer first thing
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 10:41 PM   #118
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4newjersey View Post
So i bought a 2018 BMW M4 last year and moved into a new construction neighborhood this past March. My next door neighbor moved in about a month after me. Back in early spring he was complaining about the noise of my car and asked if i had an aftermarket exhaust system (which i dont). I told him there really wasn't anything that could be done but i limit the amount of time i spend in the garage to 1 minute or less to keep the noise down for everyone.

He then started complaining to the homeowners association last month. Once they told they wouldn't get involved since it's a stock vehicle, he threw a rock thru my dining room window (we caught on video footage). He was arrested. Now he's suing me for being a nuisance and wants a judge to prevent me from driving before 7am or after 10pm.

This whole thing is so obnoxious. Has anyone else had neighbors complain about their stock M4?

Also you can watch him throw the rock thru my window and also watch him use his iPhone to film the noise of my car at www.billsiegle.com.
Start mowing the lawn, all day long.
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2018, 10:47 PM   #119
DML
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Btw I came here from Brooklyn and the sense of privacy, openness, and quietness makes you a different person. Here people are very nice and polite, nobody is trying to cut anyone in the line because lines are rare. No honking at traffic lights even during rush hour, no crazy drivers, plenty of parking spaces everywhere, etc. maybe 20 years ago suburban life would be a downside if you prefer a vibrant life style but today any town you go you can get food and fancy stores the same way as in big city. Subs don't replace the city life but it is not a big compromise while you also gain some life qualities which in cities just impossible
I'm pretty sure an acre with home already on it in CT will be well above my comfort budget, but PM incoming.
Not really. I thought the same when I came here. For the price of a tiny 3 bedroom apt in average neighborhood of Brooklyn, you can get 3k sq feet house in Stamford with acre and 2 car garage. In Brooklyn my commute to the Chelsea area in the city where I worked was 1 hour 20 min on a crazy subway. From Stamford my commute was the same minus the crazy. It I soon found a job locally. My commute is now 20-35 min in M3 on curvy well paved roads.

However, do not get my message as CT is cheap. By no means it is. You will probably pay about the same as you do now but gain some qualities which are not there in the crazy world.
I equate Stamford with Norwalk, outside of Rowayton both meh. I'm assuming you were referring to Brooklyn Heights/Dumbo, right??
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 10:49 PM   #120
halfempty
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

It's nice to see the outpouring of support for the OP. I agree that this neighbor likely has behavioral/psych issues, even if it's just a complete lack of impulse control, that make any rational argument with him likely to fail. I think that ultimately the neighbor's actions will be self-defeating as the police and the courts tend not to tolerate irrational bullies with anger management issues. (Wait until he blows up in court or try's to throw something at the judge!) This said, I actually support the idea of a tune or starting the car with the garage closed. I see it not so much as a concession, but rather it demonstrates to everyone (neighbors, cops, courts, and even the HOA for what it's worth) a rational problem-solving approach that further emphasizes the OP as the non-aggressor and the neighbor as a lunatic bully who's response is to commit vandalism. "Your Honor, I'm trying to make a few fixes that can help, he's throwing rocks through my window."

Regardless, OP, it sounds like you're doing your best in a really unfortunate and stressful situation. Good luck and keep us posted.
Appreciate 1
blockdoc373.00
      12-20-2018, 10:51 PM   #121
DML
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfempty View Post
It's nice to see the outpouring of support for the OP. I agree that this neighbor likely has behavioral/psych issues, even if it's just a complete lack of impulse control, that make any rational argument with him likely to fail. I think that ultimately the neighbor's actions will be self-defeating as the police and the courts tend not to tolerate irrational bullies with anger management issues. (Wait until he blows up in court or try's to throw something at the judge!) This said, I actually support the idea of a tune or starting the car with the garage closed. I see it not so much as a concession, but rather it demonstrates to everyone (neighbors, cops, courts, and even the HOA for what it's worth) a rational problem-solving approach that further emphasizes the OP as the non-aggressor and the neighbor as a lunatic bully who's response is to commit vandalism. "Your Honor, I'm trying to make a few fixes that can help, he's throwing rocks through my window."

Regardless, OP, it sounds like you're doing your best in a really unfortunate and stressful situation. Good luck and keep us posted.
Or maybe pick up and move, again.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 11:14 PM   #122
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DML View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I equate Stamford with Norwalk, outside of Rowayton both meh. I'm assuming you were referring to Brooklyn Heights/Dumbo, right??
Not at all. But that's ok.
      12-20-2018, 11:29 PM   #123
elinstylez
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

This is why I don't live in a homeowners association. Petty neighbors and/or crazy board members. In California under the Davis Stirling Act there's an attorneys fees provision for the prevailing party so that's a great provision if you're defending against a dumb plaintiff like your neighbor. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 12:48 AM   #124
Bimmed Out
There Is No Substitute
Rep
Drives: Several 911's

Quote:
He filed a cease and desist against them.
Quote:
He didn’t like they were talking to others about how he got arrested for throwing the rock
Now that is rich.

OP, I’m sure you can see the writing on the wall. There’s a common denominator here and he’s a few cards short of a full deck, as they say.

I’m from Philly originally and, well... let’s just say I don’t think your neighbor would have made it too long there.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 03:06 AM   #125
Grewal99
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi M sport

Ur neighbor lives pretty far from ur house and yet somehow he can still hear ur stock exhaust enough to make him bothered. Mines aftermarket and tuned yet none of my neighbors have ever said a word about it. Crazy how people can be, if he was put in your position imagine what he would do.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 06:54 AM   #126
omaralt
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3

i'm thinking of emailing this mr. bill and tell him i'm looking for a house. one that i can park my m3 with a loud exhaust! wonder what he would say

but in all seriousness, does he have a baby? the only time i've felt like killing somebody is when the baby has been up all night, finally sleeps at 7 am and at 705 am on a saturday my neighbor decides to start cutting the lawn..
2013 550i M sport Alpine White/Cinnamon (retired)
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 07:06 AM   #127
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewal99 View Post
Ur neighbor lives pretty far from ur house and yet somehow he can still hear ur stock exhaust enough to make him bothered. Mines aftermarket and tuned yet none of my neighbors have ever said a word about it. Crazy how people can be, if he was put in your position imagine what he would do.
^This, I have the AA midpipe to Remus setup and nobody has ever complained about any of my cars. Plus I leave around 0600 every morning. I do back into my garage so I don't know if that helps with the start up noise in the AM though.

Do you guys really think a stock M3/4 is that loud, I guess I don't? I just came from 3 years of GT350s. That thing stock had a start up roar that was much louder than even my current set up. I guess it is all perspective.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 07:25 AM   #128
Graves
Sicario
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OF Hero View Post
I haven't had any complaints but I have to admit I cringe a bit when I turn the car on at 645 AM most mornings to head to work. I leave the garage door closed for a bit but I'm sure it is still LOUD as hell on startup. I'm on really good terms with my nextdoor neighbors but sometimes I wonder what they really think...
Lol. I crank mine at o'dark thirty in the summer mornings without a care in the world.
DML967.50
      12-21-2018, 07:26 AM   #129
Graves
Sicario
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewal99 View Post
^This, I have the AA midpipe to Remus setup and nobody has ever complained about any of my cars. Plus I leave around 0600 every morning. I do back into my garage so I don't know if that helps with the start up noise in the AM though.

Do you guys really think a stock M3/4 is that loud, I guess I don't? I just came from 3 years of GT350s. That thing stock had a start up roar that was much louder than even my current set up. I guess it is all perspective.
If I crank up my ZR1 it's over. Everyone's getting up with me, lol.
minn1914037.50
      12-21-2018, 07:37 AM   #130
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Hven't thought about it. That might be a good idea.
Back story: years ago, when I lived in Houston, there was a reporter at one of the local network affiliates named Marvin Zindler. He was their investigative guy, and had zero qualms about siding with ordinary folks who were being taken advantage of by bad landlords/contractors or prominent citizens who broke the law. You knew you were in for a really bad day when Marvin and a camera crew showed up at your door.

Exposing this jerk for who he is to the general public might just put a damper on his attitude. He might even have to hire a realtor to find him somewhere new to live.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 1
minn1914037.50
      12-21-2018, 08:10 AM   #131
DML
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundelM3 View Post
Quote:
Hven't thought about it. That might be a good idea.
Back story: years ago, when I lived in Houston, there was a reporter at one of the local network affiliates named Marvin Zindler. He was their investigative guy, and had zero qualms about siding with ordinary folks who were being taken advantage of by bad landlords/contractors or prominent citizens who broke the law. You knew you were in for a really bad day when Marvin and a camera crew showed up at your door.

Exposing this jerk for who he is to the general public might just put a damper on his attitude. He might even have to hire a realtor to find him somewhere new to live.
Something tells me he's a little too far gone to care....
Appreciate 1
minn1914037.50
      12-21-2018, 10:48 AM   #132
m4newjersey
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaralt View Post
i'm thinking of emailing this mr. bill and tell him i'm looking for a house. one that i can park my m3 with a loud exhaust! wonder what he would say

but in all seriousness, does he have a baby? the only time i've felt like killing somebody is when the baby has been up all night, finally sleeps at 7 am and at 705 am on a saturday my neighbor decides to start cutting the lawn..
He has a 5 year that needs to go to school but his live in GF takes her there. He likes to sleep til 10a as he told me earlier this spring
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread