Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

04-19-2024, 11:49 AM   #1
dwe8922
Rep
Drives: m3

M Performance electric steering wheel problem (tachometer)

My M3 has the electric M Performance steering wheel, and I've been using it to display the coolant and oil temp as the car is warming up. I've downloaded the instruction manual for it, and learned how to cycle through some of the other functions, but my main interested is having the temps, and the tach is nice as well. Somehow, the tach has turned off, and there are two green lights that flash on either side, randomly. I can't seem to figure out what they mean, and how to turn them off. They don't come on unless you turn the wheel on, but I can't seem to turn them off once I do.

Thanks!
David
2016 M3 comp pack manual
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 07:08 PM   #2
Slow M3
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

It's flashing green because you have it in the Efficient Dynamics setting so it's telling you the best points to shift for fuel efficiency.

To get out of that you have to long press the left button until you get to the main menu, short press the right button once to toggle to Sport, then long press to enter. Once there the shift lights will change from green to red based on the shift points you preset.

Also, the little screen in the center only stays on for ~15mins then it turns off automatically, no you cannot program it to stay on longer or infinately. The shift lights will still work as normal. You can reactivate the center screen by long pressing both buttons again to turn it back on.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 04:48 AM   #3
dwe8922
Rep

Thanks! It would have taken me a long time to figure that out on my own....

I just realized the manual I have is from 2008, so probably for the older model. Any idea of where I could find a more current manual? I found an old thread where the question was asked, but nothing came of it.

Thanks again,

David
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 08:10 AM   #4
Slow M3
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Not sure where you could download a PDF. I thought I saw one floating around on the forum. I have the actual manual and it doesn’t really tell you much honestly. It’s 4” thick but it’s like 10 pages in different languages.

It’s super easy to learn just play around with it. Short press left/right to toggle to each setting. Long press the right button to enter a setting, long press the left button to exit. Double long press both buttons to turn center screen on/off. Short press right button to start race counter, short press again to stop, long press to reset.

The 1st square is efficient dynamics, 2nd is Race, 3rd is track and 4th is settings. Nothing you change will affect the car and it only controls and changes the display info on the wheel.

There’s a YouTube video somewhere. I’ll link it if I find it.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 07:23 AM   #5
dwe8922
Rep

You’re awesome! Thanks, that fixed it
Appreciate 0