Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-19-2019, 08:10 AM   #45
Boostin FD
Bored all the time
United_States
Rep
Drives: Batmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubla_d View Post
Has anyone installed the new single mid pipe yet with the MPE. Still waiting to see if modifications are actually needed to the MPE regardless of all the speculation. I received a message from one of their vendors that no modification is needed as well.

Update the thread if possible please
It's needed. It'll have to be cut. There's no way around it. Check out the AA thread about it... it's the same design. I was contemplating getting it and chopping my GTS exhaust... but... still early for that, I think
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 07:40 PM   #46
m4dbimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Has anyone confirmed the numbers? VRSF states 18+hp/30+tq. Didn't see a dyno though.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 08:25 AM   #47
kinkiracing
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Lotus

Working on it

Hey guys,

I'm installing this this weekend and mating it to an Akra evo axle back, catless dp already in.

I'll upload some pictures and video once it's all up and running. But we're going to have to but some small spacers on the centre brace to avoid rattling clearance. Little bit of custom fab needed on one side. Can't wait to hear it. Keep you all posted.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 01:38 PM   #48
dmikucki
Connoisseur
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 ZCP

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [10.00]
Just installed mine over the weekend- oem dp & oem zcp Exhaust.

Fitment was pretty good other than I could not get the cross brace back without the pipe sitting on it to save my life. Honestly a couple of washer wouldn't even do the trick for me. Kept it off for now until I figure something else out.

My lower dp bolts were rusted and had to be grinded off and the studs drilled out- what a night mare. If I had an aftermarket dp probably would of been a different story. Upper bolts were fine.

Overall the rasp is gone and in high rpms the car screams in sport/ sport plus. When casually driving around town you can barley tell any difference from stock. The car sounds great and for the price I do recommend the single downpipe. Just wish the clearance issue with the cross brace was figured out. I'll upload vids/ pics soon
      08-25-2019, 05:16 PM   #49
Chhr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP

I'm in the exact same boat as you. I could not get the brace on no matter what we did and this includes washers and putting brace under the rear suspension arms. I don't see how it is possible without a new brace.

I have email vrsf support and I'm waiting to here back.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 02:19 AM   #50
rph_gunner
Young Buck
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 SMB M3 ZCP

Getting this midpipe installed at an exhaust shop tomorrow. Can anyone explain to me in detail about the whole clearance issue with the center brace and what can be done to fix it? I’m seeing some people mentioned something about washers?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 03:53 AM   #51
EB89
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i e92 DCT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rph_gunner View Post
Getting this midpipe installed at an exhaust shop tomorrow. Can anyone explain to me in detail about the whole clearance issue with the center brace and what can be done to fix it? I’m seeing some people mentioned something about washers?
Don’t think much can be done, the AA midpipe has the same issue.

Need a different shaped brace, AA makes / made one that clear their midpipe
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 04:27 AM   #52
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB89 View Post
Don’t think much can be done, the AA midpipe has the same issue.

Need a different shaped brace, AA makes / made one that clear their midpipe
Not always the case. I’ve had an AA mid-pipe installed for 3.5 years and I’ve had zero issues with contact between the stock brace and AA mid-pipe. Also, I did not have to add washers to lower the stock brace.
Appreciate 2
      08-26-2019, 07:20 PM   #53
depaulhifi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
Not always the case. I’ve had an AA mid-pipe installed for 3.5 years and I’ve had zero issues with contact between the stock brace and AA mid-pipe. Also, I did not have to add washers to lower the stock brace.
Same here. I'm running Eisenmann DPs and an AA mid and it clears the brace without issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 08:37 AM   #54
kinkiracing
Enlisted Member
Rep

Akra & VRSF Joint

So one side is perfect. The other side would require the VRSF to be cut where it's bending. Fabricating a small section there with the VRSF pipe to make that joint straight. Finished photos later today. But here's the joint before. Fit's not that far off really.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Nadeemp8114.00
      08-27-2019, 10:17 PM   #55
rph_gunner
Young Buck
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmikucki View Post
Just installed mine over the weekend- oem dp & oem zcp Exhaust.

Fitment was pretty good other than I could not get the cross brace back without the pipe sitting on it to save my life. Honestly a couple of washer wouldn't even do the trick for me. Kept it off for now until I figure something else out.

My lower dp bolts were rusted and had to be grinded off and the studs drilled out- what a night mare. If I had an aftermarket dp probably would of been a different story. Upper bolts were fine.

Overall the rasp is gone and in high rpms the car screams in sport/ sport plus. When casually driving around town you can barley tell any difference from stock. The car sounds great and for the price I do recommend the single downpipe. Just wish the clearance issue with the cross brace was figured out. I'll upload vids/ pics soon
Just left the exhaust shop not too long ago and they also ran into the clearance issue with the center brace. Used several washers and it still didn't help. Eventually I wasn't able to put more than couple washers due to how small the bolts were... Can a VRSF rep comment about this. Currently the midpipe is sitting on the center brace causing constant rattling.

November 2016 European Delivery Thread:
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1357859
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 07:26 AM   #56
kinkiracing
Enlisted Member
Rep

Spacing down the center brace solved it for me. No rattles. I am also running VRSF downpipe and I imagine that might help in terms how it's designed to fit.

Just drove it home though and WOW the sound is pretty incredible. Should be able to take a video today or tomorrow.
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2019, 10:50 AM   #57
rph_gunner
Young Buck
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkiracing View Post
Spacing down the center brace solved it for me. No rattles. I am also running VRSF downpipe and I imagine that might help in terms how it's designed to fit.

Just drove it home though and WOW the sound is pretty incredible. Should be able to take a video today or tomorrow.
How many washers did you put? I placed roughly 3-4 washers and it's still sitting on the brace.

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 11:33 AM   #58
mtbuyker
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4, 2016 Audi SQ5

Quote:

Did you happen to take a picture of the connector you had fabricated by chance? I have an Akra axle-back and my car has been sitting undriven for a week with no exhaust as I try to figure out how to connect the Akrapovic to the VRSF mid pipe. Thanks!

Last edited by mtbuyker; 08-28-2019 at 12:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 08:24 PM   #59
kinkiracing
Enlisted Member
Rep

Single thick spacer did it for me. I don't have any photos but I imagine it won't be long until I'm under the car again. Sorry forgot to take.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 01:30 AM   #60
rph_gunner
Young Buck
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Single thick spacer did it for me. I don't have any photos but I imagine it won't be long until I'm under the car again. Sorry forgot to take.
How thick was your spacer? I used 4 thin spacers and was maxed out cause of the size of the bolt and midpipe is still sitting on the center brace. I'm going to go out and buy longer bolts and thicker spacers to try and make it work. But base on a lot of feedback from the recent customers that bought it, this midple has a clearance issue.

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 07:31 AM   #61
kinkiracing
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rph_gunner View Post
How thick was your spacer? I used 4 thin spacers and was maxed out cause of the size of the bolt and midpipe is still sitting on the center brace. I'm going to go out and buy longer bolts and thicker spacers to try and make it work. But base on a lot of feedback from the recent customers that bought it, this midple has a clearance issue.
Around 6 mm
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 02:12 PM   #62
9M71
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

So the consensus of the VRSF - any stock DP and Axleback owners able to fit the VRSF without any clearance issues on the center brace?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 06:46 AM   #63
mtbuyker
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4, 2016 Audi SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9M4N71U View Post
So the consensus of the VRSF - any stock DP and Axleback owners able to fit the VRSF without any clearance issues on the center brace?
My VRSF fits with issues. First, I’ll need to have a piece fabricated to correct the angle of the mid pipe to my Akrapovic exhaust. I’ve contacted VRSF and never heard back. Next, the pipe sits on the brace. I ordered an Active Autowerke brace and my order was actually cancelled because I don’t have an AA mid pipe.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 08:49 AM   #64
Weechard
M3
Rep
Drives: 2013 MW m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbuyker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9M4N71U View Post
My VRSF fits with issues. First, I'll need to have a piece fabricated to correct the angle of the mid pipe to my Akrapovic exhaust. I've contacted VRSF and never heard back. Next, the pipe sits on the brace. I ordered an Active Autowerke brace and my order was actually cancelled because I don't have an AA mid pipe.
You can go to the hardware store and pick up six 3/8x1/4 inch stainless steel spacers or 3/8x3/8 (which may require longer bolts) for clearance issues with the oem cross brace. I tried 3/8 x 3/8 but even then I couldn't manage to get enough room to clear the brace... Might be the dp's I have 😒. Brace is off until I can get the car on a lift to try and make further adjustments.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 09:04 AM   #65
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

I'm wondering why there are now 2 manufacturers that can't tweak their jig to give more clearance for the brace. There seems to be plenty of room in the tunnel.

Also, is it just me, or does the exhaust still sound raspy in the video? I know he was enamored with the pops and burbles, but it's hard to make out a sound difference.
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2019, 06:41 PM   #66
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
I'm wondering why there are now 2 manufacturers that can't tweak their jig to give more clearance for the brace. There seems to be plenty of room in the tunnel.

Also, is it just me, or does the exhaust still sound raspy in the video? I know he was enamored with the pops and burbles, but it's hard to make out a sound difference.
Yes it does sounds raspy! All S55 no matter what exhaust sound raspy. Akra, DINAN, Remus, AA... Single midpipe, dual midpipe no matter.
Appreciate 0