European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

08-08-2015, 02:24 PM   #45
hayes180
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 2013 M3

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [10.00]
fantastic and congrats! great write up
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2015, 02:39 PM   #46
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosozoku View Post
There may be a correlation here.

Thanks for the incredible photos, and enjoy that AY monster when you get her back.

Oh, and "That fettuccine!!!"
The fettuccine was even better than it looked. One of the many dishes I'll be craving until I get a chance to go back.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2015, 02:41 PM   #47
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentium View Post
Oh my god, one of the best ED I ever read!

Thanks for the write, photos and sharing!

I liked the Audi Forum, first time I see it on ED and sure the Lambo

Congrats on your amazing ride!
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I think the automotive aspect of the trip was great. I'll need to make sure I make the tour next time. Also want to check out Porsche and Mercedes next time.
Appreciate 2
      08-08-2015, 03:32 PM   #48
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
The drive through Switzerland was slow and boring, but we did stop in Lugano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm918 View Post
Thanks.

I never heard that before What part was boring. Here is my plan from lake Como towards the tale end of our trip.....doesn't seem boring on paper

Lake Como to Interlaken area via San Gottardo, Glesch, Grimsel Pass and Furka Pass - 5 hrs.

Next day, Interlaken to Zurich via Susten Pass.

I also find driving the Swiss Autobahns quite boring. The national speed limit is 120 kph, but in most places its 80 to 100 kph. Sometimes 120 kph. But the Swiss Polizei are quite aggressive in their speed enforcement. On country back roads the speed limit is only 80 kph. (not 100 kph like in Germany and Austria). Also one should take note... that IF the Polizei catches you driving more than +40 kph over the speed limit - they can and WILL take your car away. As in it is not THEIR car!

Lake Como, Glesch, Grimsel Pass, Furka Pass are all GREAT roads!!! MUST DRIVE/SEE roads IF you ask me! Just be careful bc the Swiss Polizei know all the spots to hide and WILL nail you with a big ticket! I don't speed in Switzerland. Also note you need a Swiss vignette(40 euros) to drive on Swiss Autobahns. Austria's is only 8 euros. On the Autobahns there are plenty of cameras and towers where the Polizei use lasers to "kontoll" your speed. I've also seen policemen under a guardrail shooting laser at cars while his buddies wait down the roads some. Over here when they get you like that... you HAVE to pay on the spot! Yes, they take credit cards. But again... you better hope you weren't going more han +40 kph.

The other thing with Switzerland is EVERYTHING costs more. And I mean MORE as in three to five times more than say in Germany. 6 euros for a Coke(500ml bottle, 1.60 in Germany/DE) 40 euros for some schnitzel(12 euros in DE), 100 euros for a basic hotel room(45 euros in DE). It all adds up fast. That said... everyone should visit Switzerland. Just don't spend too much time there. I always prefer to stay in France or Italy or Austria for the evening. Then drive the Swiss Passes the next day.

Have you seen this thread of mine on some of the Swiss Passes you will drive?

Dackel's Swiss Alpine tour...
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=878216

Also... when your in Lake Como... have you thought to drive up the eastern side of the lake and up thru Italy and into Switzerland?

A route something like this...
https://www.google.de/maps/dir/Varen...2621!3e0?hl=en

Then head over to Davos and the Furka Pass. The Furka Pass down to Stelvio is quite a nice section of road too.

Dackel
Appreciate 2
      08-08-2015, 03:39 PM   #49
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

OneRib what an AWESOME ED tour you did. Your man after my own heart with the passes and museums you visited.

My only suggestion would be for other who want to visit Venice... to stay on an island called: Lido di Jesolo. It's only 30 kpms from Venice and its a very family style beach town. You can park your car there at the end of the island and take a water-bus directly into San Marco square. Spend the day then returns to Jesolo for the evening. I really like this island bc there are so few Americans who come there. Mostly its Germans and Austrians. There is also Auqua-Landria at the end of the island - a water theme fun park. They have this one water slide that gets you up to 130 kph(!) going down it. Not for the faint of heart! I would also recommend visiting some of the smaller islands between Jesolo and Venice - that the water-bus will stop at.

Again I loved all the places you stopped at and visited.

Dackel

PS: I see you have discovered my Sella Rounda area. Its such a great region of Italy to visit! Stay tunned for our Euro 1Addicts picture thread of Sella 2.0
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2015, 03:54 PM   #50
DC-T
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5/Golf R/Amarok

This is so cool and insightful...makes it so real. Hopefully they'll introduce this to South Africa one day...
Appreciate 2
      08-08-2015, 05:15 PM   #51
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Arrow F8x die cast models at the Welt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRib View Post

No die cast M3 models at the Welt?!
I was over at the BMW Welt the other day and I saw a few F8x models on display for sale. I took this picture of a M4 in 1:43 scale. It sells for 40 euros, I'm pretty sure they also had 1:18 scale models of the M4 and M3, but I did not take any pis of those.

The part number for the 1:43 M4 in Sakir Orange is: 80422348800

1:43 scale M4 model...
Name:  DSC00866.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  126.5 KB

some new 1:18 scale models like the 1M Moto GP Safety Car...
Name:  DSC01331.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  148.1 KB

1:24(?) scale RC cars... not the M4's.
Name:  DSC01338.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  115.8 KB

top left, more M4's models...
Name:  DSC00816.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  135.0 KB

Dackel
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2015, 05:31 PM   #52
MDIVISION
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Welcome to AY club!
2014 BMW 335i MPPK SOLD
2015 M3 SOLD
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2015, 05:42 PM   #53
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep

@Dackelone
What you said about the Swiss autobahns is exactly what I meant.
Good advice about lido in Venice.
I did see the M4 but I specifically meant the F80. I asked the staff and the had none. Disappointing as the car had been out a year by then.

Sella pass was great. Very underrated in my book.
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2015, 06:29 PM   #54
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
@Dackelone
What you said about the Swiss autobahns is exactly what I meant.
Good advice about lido in Venice.
I did see the M4 but I specifically meant the F80. I asked the staff and the had none. Disappointing as the car had been out a year by then.

Sella pass was great. Very underrated in my book.

Glad to hear we are on the same page when it comes to Switzerland.

Sella Pass - is such a great area to visit. Some of us Euro 1Addicts just got back from touring that area. I am still going thru all my pics to make a thread. But here is a sneak peak....

European 1Addicts - Sella 2.0 Tour: July 17 - July 19th, Planning thread...2015
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...1112403&page=5

Send Max at Minichamps an email. Tell him Dackel sent you. He provides many of the models that BMW sells at the Welt and thru its dealer network. Maybe he can get you one or knows when they will come out with them.

mlang@minichamps.de

1M Die Cast Model?
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...556784&page=41

Dackel
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2015, 07:28 PM   #55
m3rxn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: boosted Inline 6's

nice write up and thanks for the visual trip through Europe.
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2015, 07:42 PM   #56
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I also find driving the Swiss Autobahns quite boring. The national speed limit is 120 kph, but in most places its 80 to 100 kph. Sometimes 120 kph. But the Swiss Polizei are quite aggressive in their speed enforcement. On country back roads the speed limit is only 80 kph. (not 100 kph like in Germany and Austria). Also one should take note... that IF the Polizei catches you driving more than +40 kph over the speed limit - they can and WILL take your car away. As in it is not THEIR car!

Lake Como, Glesch, Grimsel Pass, Furka Pass are all GREAT roads!!! MUST DRIVE/SEE roads IF you ask me! Just be careful bc the Swiss Polizei know all the spots to hide and WILL nail you with a big ticket! I don't speed in Switzerland. Also note you need a Swiss vignette(40 euros) to drive on Swiss Autobahns. Austria's is only 8 euros. On the Autobahns there are plenty of cameras and towers where the Polizei use lasers to "kontoll" your speed. I've also seen policemen under a guardrail shooting laser at cars while his buddies wait down the roads some. Over here when they get you like that... you HAVE to pay on the spot! Yes, they take credit cards. But again... you better hope you weren't going more han +40 kph.

The other thing with Switzerland is EVERYTHING costs more. And I mean MORE as in three to five times more than say in Germany. 6 euros for a Coke(500ml bottle, 1.60 in Germany/DE) 40 euros for some schnitzel(12 euros in DE), 100 euros for a basic hotel room(45 euros in DE). It all adds up fast. That said... everyone should visit Switzerland. Just don't spend too much time there. I always prefer to stay in France or Italy or Austria for the evening. Then drive the Swiss Passes the next day.

Have you seen this thread of mine on some of the Swiss Passes you will drive?

Dackel's Swiss Alpine tour...
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=878216

Also... when your in Lake Como... have you thought to drive up the eastern side of the lake and up thru Italy and into Switzerland?

A route something like this...
https://www.google.de/maps/dir/Varen...2621!3e0?hl=en

Then head over to Davos and the Furka Pass. The Furka Pass down to Stelvio is quite a nice section of road too.

Dackel
Dackelone thanks a lot for all the tips. I have read most of your threads and it was one of your threads that inspired me to change my original route of Innsbruck - Malcesine (lake Garda) to going via the Dolomites. Adds a day to our original route but will be well worth it. We are traveling with our one year old daughter so can't be on the road for crazy long. Out of the 16 day trip I am reserving only two days for 5+ hrs on the road, first when we go through the Dolomites and second when we do the Swiss Alps. I am spending only 2 days driving in Switzerland towards the tail end of our trip when I drop off the car in Zurich. I'll be very careful about speed throughout, be it in Switzerland or anywhere else. Is the M3 HUD trustworthy about displaying speed limits per the GPS input? I was thinking of going by that in addition to just reading road signs. I won't be going north from Lake Como since I will be coming from the south (Milan) and then heading to the Swiss passes. Here is my final route.....

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1140147

My Amazing European Delivery Story

Last edited by ///M///; 08-08-2015 at 07:55 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2015, 08:44 PM   #57
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm918 View Post
Dackelone thanks a lot for all the tips. I have read most of your threads and it was one of your threads that inspired me to change my original route of Innsbruck - Malcesine (lake Garda) to going via the Dolomites. Adds a day to our original route but will be well worth it. We are traveling with our one year old daughter so can't be on the road for crazy long. Out of the 16 day trip I am reserving only two days for 5+ hrs on the road, first when we go through the Dolomites and second when we do the Swiss Alps. I am spending only 2 days driving in Switzerland towards the tail end of our trip when I drop off the car in Zurich. I'll be very careful about speed throughout, be it in Switzerland or anywhere else. Is the M3 HUD trustworthy about displaying speed limits per the GPS input? I was thinking of going by that in addition to just reading road signs. I won't be going north from Lake Como since I will be coming from the south (Milan) and then heading to the Swiss passes. Here is my final route.....

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1140147
Thanks for your ED plans - Link. That looks lke quite an adventure you guys will have.

The speed limit info uses Nav and the car's (stereo)cameras to read the speed limit signs on the roads. A friend of mine who is a test driver for BMW AG says he is so spoiled(now) when he drives his older BMW... he doesn't look at the road signs(anymore)... he misses the speed limit info on the dash/speed cluster! lol He so use to the car telling him what the speed limit is!! lol So, yea - I would trust it.

In Germany... speeding really is a non issue. Just don't seed inside city limits(when you see a YELLOW village/city sign). When you see one of those signs the speed limit is 50 kph unless otherwise posted. Out on the Autobahns... you can drive up to 15 o 20 kph and not really worry about getting Blitz'd(photo radar). And the unmarked Polizei cars are looking for the guys who are driving +40 kph over the limit. Plus the Polizei have to follow you for at least 300 meters - to catch you speeding... so when you see a car with TWO guys in it(with yellow shirts(cop uniform here)... be careful.

You will LOVE Lake Garda and the Dolomites. That drive from Garda to Sella is fantastic! I think your plan is really good.

take care,
Dackel
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2015, 09:13 PM   #58
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Part 1

I just finished up my first (but not last) BMW European Delivery. I have to say the experience was top notch....

Looks like you had an EPIC Trip... An thank you for the Food Pics

How's the M withdrawal?

Last edited by DocWeatherington; 08-08-2015 at 09:23 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2015, 09:34 PM   #59
ginginha
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Faity

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Answered in the quotes
Odd about Liechtenstein because BMW's own website suggests going through there:

4. Drive Through Europe

Lakeside Luxury

Day 1 - Pick Up Your New BMW in Munich

Day 2 - The next morning, sink into the driver's seat, and begin the driving tour of a lifetime. Relish the power of your BMW, as you cross the border into Austria through the tiny principality of Liechtenstein and on to Switzerland. Spend your day exploring Lucerne, an Old World town with its covered wooden bridges, wine market and Old Town Hall before retiring to the grand Palace Luzern on the shores of picturesque Lake Lucerne. Enjoy a quiet French dinner at Jasper and a relaxing night's sleep before departing for the romantic Villa d'Este in the morning.

Days 3 and 4 - Head south via the famed Gotthard Pass and Belizona with its three castles, through the scenic Swiss/Italian Lake District. Your next stop will be Villa d'Este, a marvelous princely 16th-century estate surrounded by a ten-acre private park on the shores of Lake Como. Enjoy dinner both nights at The Verandah, featuring an Italian and international menu, or The Grill, with its informal Italian menu. Spend two luxurious days enjoying this sprawling resort, take a motorboat and cruise past breathtaking private villas, or cross by ferry from Tremezzo to Bellagio, to explore what is said to be one of the prettiest towns in Europe.

Day 5 - Set off on a morning drive to your next stop, Principe di Savoia, one of the most cherished hotels in Milan, Italy, and the crown jewel of the Piazza della Repubblica. From this belle époque, set out to see the Teatro alla Scala, San Satiro or Leonardo's Last Supper at the Church of Santa Maria delle Grazi before sitting down to an Italian feast at the five-star Ristorante Acanto.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...eLakeside.aspx
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2015, 10:32 PM   #60
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
Looks like you had an EPIC Trip... An thank you for the Food Pics

How's the M withdrawal?
It's bad, but I actually think getting to drive it for two weeks has helped. I am also a lot busier at home than when I was waiting for my E92 M3.
I'm happy to say that so far I have kept my promise of not checking on the car for 4 weeks.
Glad you liked the food pics. There are more than a few dishes I wish I could be eating right now. The Laderach fresh chocolate is addictive. I would order it if the shipping wasn't so much. I think there is another Swiss Chocolatier in Philly that I may have to order from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginginha View Post
Odd about Liechtenstein because BMW's own website suggests going through there:

4. Drive Through Europe

, as you cross the border into Austria through the tiny principality of Liechtenstein and on to Switzerland. Spend your day exploring Lucerne, an Old World town with its covered wooden bridges, wine market and Old Town Hall before retiring to the grand Palace Luzern on the shores of picturesque Lake Lucerne.
Good find. My guess is you used to be able to drive through and something changed. A country that small can probably change their laws fairly quickly and I don't think it's in the EU which may be part of the issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2015, 10:39 PM   #61
M3ichael
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW ///M3 DCT

EPIC Pictures!!! Will be coming back to this thread for sometime. Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 2
      08-08-2015, 10:47 PM   #62
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Quote:
It's bad, but I actually think getting to drive it for two weeks has helped. I am also a lot busier at home than when I was waiting for my E92 M3.
I'm happy to say that so far I have kept my promise of not checking on the car for 4 weeks.
Glad you liked the food pics. There are more than a few dishes I wish I could be eating right now. The Laderach fresh chocolate is addictive. I would order it if the shipping wasn't so much. I think there is another Swiss Chocolatier in Philly that I may have to order from.

Good find. My guess is you used to be able to drive through and something changed. A country that small can probably change their laws fairly quickly and I don't think it's in the EU which may be part of the issue.

I may have to try some Laderach fresh chocolate
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2015, 10:52 PM   #63
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I WILLhave to try some Laderach fresh chocolate
Fixed it for you. They are all over Switzerland; you will always be near one of their shops.
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2015, 11:05 PM   #64
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Fixed it for you. They are all over Switzerland; you will always be near one of their shops.
Yeah, what is sad.. When I did ED last summer and was in Switzerland, never thought to have some.. Normally I have a European Brownie kick
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2015, 11:10 PM   #65
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, what is sad.. When I did ED last summer and was in Switzerland, never thought to have some.. Normally I have a European Brownie kick
Oh I get you, European "brownie"
No wonder you liked the food pics, you've got the munchies. I hear Washington and Colorado have similar recipes.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2015, 11:33 PM   #66
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Oh I get you, European "brownie"
No wonder you liked the food pics, you've got the munchies. I hear Washington and Colorado have similar recipes.
Haha.. negative... in my line of work its frowned upon... But I do know a good brownie when I find one..

Something about he combo of Orange Drank with real sugar and a Brownie..

Again must be the quality chocolate lol

I like the food pics cause I am a FOOD WHORE.. actually a whore for a few things.. that would make me a slut right?
Appreciate 0