European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

02-26-2019, 01:44 AM   #1
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Which areas take rock and gravel abuse on M3

Hello all,

I'm having entire front clip ( hood , fenders , bumper, mirrors) on 2018 M3CS wrapped next week. For those of you that have some miles on your M3 which areas are most vulnerable to rock and gravel damage? Does the rear quarter panel behind rear wheels take any abuse? how about the bottom rocker panels? I'm thinking of having those areas done as well but not if they don't take much road abuse. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 01:58 AM   #2
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Outside of the areas you will have covered you should add film fore and aft rear wheels, front lip, rocker panels, a pillars, either leading edge or entire of carbon fiber roof, and headlights.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 03:51 AM   #3
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks. I forgot to add the headlights and front lower lip are being done too. There is some factory applied film fore of the back wheels. It does not seem like the painted areas around the wheels or the rocker panels for that matter are that vulnerable or in the line of fire. :
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 05:29 AM   #4
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzracer View Post
Thanks. I forgot to add the headlights and front lower lip are being done too. There is some factory applied film fore of the back wheels. It does not seem like the pained areas around the wheels or the rocker panels for that matter are that vulnerable or in the line of fire. :
The factory film is not large enough nor is it thick enough to provide the level of protection you're looking for. It will need to be removed and replaced with a larger piece. The rocker panels will for sure take on rock chips if left unprotected.
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2019, 08:30 AM   #5
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
Quote:
Thanks. I forgot to add the headlights and front lower lip are being done too. There is some factory applied film fore of the back wheels. It does not seem like the pained areas around the wheels or the rocker panels for that matter are that vulnerable or in the line of fire. :
The factory film is not large enough nor is it thick enough to provide the level of protection you're looking for. It will need to be removed and replaced with a larger piece. The rocker panels will for sure take on rock chips if left unprotected.
Got it. Thanks for the help. 👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 08:54 AM   #6
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep

I should have also noted I live In southern Nevada and the car will never see snow or sanded/salted roads. The roads are pretty good here and free of debris. It's also not my daily driver so stays in garage even if its just raining lol. Im trying to avoid applying expensive film in areas that do not take much abuse.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 09:05 AM   #7
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I should have also noted I live In southern Nevada and the car will never see snow or sanded/salted roads. The roads are pretty good here and free of debris. It's also not my daily driver so stays in garage even if its just raining lol. Im trying to avoid applying expensive film in areas that do not take much abuse.
That's helpful context. You certainly want to take a risk based approach for ppf unless money is no object and you're prepared to wrap the entire car. With that said, while the rockers will take on abuse I would be less worried about them than the rear wheel areas or the front bumper. The absolute essential areas in my opinion are the entire front clip, a-pillars and the rear wheel areas.
Appreciate 1
dezzracer1182.50
      02-26-2019, 09:10 AM   #8
cca101
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
I live in Vegas and I believe the roads are absolute trash. 3rd world country like.
You would think without the harsh winters they would be smooth but no.. pot holes, cracks, bumps, when they do construction which is always they dont repatch them correctly and just leave giant holes, just a gigantic cesspool of incompetency all around. The more I drive around town the more I realize that every mile of asphalt is useless.
And there are so many rocks on the roads insit's insane, every construction site just dumps shit all over the road , and after every rain all the rocks wash out on to the roads.
I did my whole front area, and already got 2 big rock chips that actually tore the xpel. I didnt do the rear fenders and I wish I did, do it, it gets sandblasted.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 10:48 AM   #9
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep

Good to know thanks guys. Yeah I've started to notice some asphalt streets in Las Vegas seem to be "disintegrating". Maybe it's the heat. Seems like roads suck everywhere nowadays tho. Shoulda bought that Raptor. 😂
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 09:20 AM   #10
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep

Update: After the recommendations given by Clark Kent and others on this thread I did have the entire front clip wrapped, including carbon spoiler, rocker panels, mirrors, and rear wheel arches. My installer used Expel ultimate plus and I got the car back yesterday. I could not be happier.

They did a first class install and you literally cannot tell it is on there. In fact I would say that the CFRP CS hood actually looks better. (CF does not take on paint as well as metal does) . My car is alpine white by the way. $2300 for the entire job and that includes a $200 discount I negotiated for paying cash. The only part I did not do that was recommended was the A pillars and I wish I would have. The exposure there is very minimal and they are up high but still... would not of cost that much more to do them. Thanks to all for your responses. 👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 12:03 PM   #11
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Biggest area that I've noticed is where the rear wheel well flares out in front of the rear tire. Takes abuse from the front tire.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 01:02 PM   #12
parabmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
Biggest area that I've noticed is where the rear wheel well flares out in front of the rear tire. Takes abuse from the front tire.
On the ppf or around it?
I'm thinking of replacing the OEM film with a larger piece.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 10:48 PM   #13
PorkchopExpress
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureModelsOnly View Post
Yea almost everyone does it. Extend it all the way up.
I had to have this area resprayed and re-wrapped. The installer did the PPF just like that, and no more damage! A must IMO.

After the wheel wells on the bumper as well.
2018 F80 M3 Mineral White DCT
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 05:43 PM   #14
RRedline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 ZCP MN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureModelsOnly View Post
Yea almost everyone does it. Extend it all the way up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkchopExpress View Post
I had to have this area resprayed and re-wrapped. The installer did the PPF just like that, and no more damage! A must IMO.

After the wheel wells on the bumper as well.
I bought my mineral gray '17 used and the previous owner had the entire front of the car done, plus a pillars, b pillars, rockers and aft of the rear wheels.

What they didn't do was this extension as shown in your photo.

My car now has 15k on it and lots of small chips now visible just above where the current PPF ends.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 02:37 AM   #15
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep

Yep. I noticed a few there as well. Taking her back in next week. Quoted $200
Appreciate 0