Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

07-13-2016, 02:15 AM   #1
Jimbooo
UK F82 owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY16 F82 M4

Charge pipes on non tuned M4

Hi all, so im looking at all these pictures i see of the F8x with polished aluminium charge pipes and i want some. i understand there is a performance advantage of sorts as with a tuned s55 the OEM plastic pipes re prone to snapping with increased boost pressure however my car is not tuned.

so apart from the aesthetic advantage is there any performance advantage to changing out the plastic pipes for polished aluminium at all on a non tuned car?
I will add a tune later down the line and accept this will future proof it but wary of warranty issues if i do it now.

has anyone done this on a non tuned car? if so did you notice any differences?

thanks
      07-13-2016, 02:37 AM   #2
Hammy_m3f80
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbooo
Hi all, so im looking at all these pictures i see of the F8x with polished aluminium charge pipes and i want some. i understand there is a performance advantage of sorts as with a tuned s55 the OEM plastic pipes re prone to snapping with increased boost pressure however my car is not tuned.

so apart from the aesthetic advantage is there any performance advantage to changing out the plastic pipes for polished aluminium at all on a non tuned car?
I will add a tune later down the line and accept this will future proof it but wary of warranty issues if i do it now.

thanks
I changed mine out 2 weeks after taking delivery. I had plans to mod the car so I didn't want to wait til the stock ones snapped. Personally I didn't see any performance changes, just a better feeling driving the car going WOT without having to hear that snap sooner or later. It's an easy mod, doubt it'll void warranty.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 02:39 AM   #3
Jimbooo
UK F82 owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy_m3f80 View Post
I changed mine out 2 weeks after taking delivery. I had plans to mod the car so I didn't want to wait til the stock ones snapped. Personally I didn't see any performance changes, just a better feeling driving the car going WOT without having to hear that snap sooner or later. It's an easy mod, doubt it'll void warranty.
Thanks for the reply. is it a diy (I'm hesitant as i have literally no mechanical knowledge or any decent tools over a spanner and screwdriver). I'm assuming its best to take to a local garage and get them to do it.

also do you mind me asking where you got yours from and for how much?
      07-13-2016, 02:41 AM   #4
Hammy_m3f80
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbooo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy_m3f80 View Post
Thanks for the reply. is it a diy (I'm hesitant as i have literally no mechanical knowledge or any decent tools over a spanner and screwdriver). I'm assuming its best to take to a local garage and get them to so it.

also do you mind me asking where you got yours from and for how much?
It's honestly a very simple process. Plus it connects you to your car more. I'm running the bms charge pipes. Something like 400-500 I think.
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2016, 05:20 PM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbooo View Post

thanks
If the car is not tuned there is no advantage of replacing the CP

Worst case scenario it breaks under stock boost (and it has with some people) u'll just get it replaced under warranty

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2016, 07:51 AM   #6
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbooo View Post

thanks
I think the upgraded charge pipes flow a little better then stock as they have larger diameter but I don't think this actually translates into any performance gains. The upgrade is mostly for reliability, especially when tuned.

Mike
Appreciate 2
      07-15-2016, 08:03 AM   #7
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
I think the upgraded charge pipes flow a little better then stock as they have larger diameter but I don't think this actually translates into any performance gains. The upgrade is mostly for reliability, especially when tuned.

Mike
Whats your opinion to the silicon charge pipes now on the market?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 09:06 AM   #8
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Whats your opinion to the silicon charge pipes now on the market?
Haven't seen them in person but I am a fan of a solid charge pipe. Silicone is great on inlets, etc. but to me I feel better with a solid charge pipe.

If I get a customer around me with silicone pipes I will definitely take a closer look.

Mike
Appreciate 0