EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-02-2018, 02:56 PM   #89
Alex@Alpine
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo3605 View Post
Is there any option to get startup roar/burble without hp bump? Or is the CP tune the most conservative option?
Hey, both are possible yes
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 11:14 AM   #90
BigDog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80

Drove the car last night with the GTS 2+ tune....

AMAZING!

Car is buttery smooth in it's acceleration and power delivery... very very impressed so far. For what it's worth, I'm coming from a JB4 (map 2) with downpipes...

Very impressed! :-)

Also on the customer service side... Alex is fantastic! From pre-purchase, all the way to remoting into my laptop to make sure the installation is done perfectly. Having personally dealt with many tuners and performance shops across the country, Alex stands in good company with them :-)

Also for what it's worth... I bought the tune as a retail customer... no special favors or pricing or anything.
      01-03-2018, 12:33 PM   #91
sleeprequired
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog View Post

AMAZING!

Car is buttery smooth in it's acceleration and power delivery... very very impressed so far. For what it's worth, I'm coming from a JB4 (map 2) with downpipes...

Also on the customer service side... Alex is fantastic! From pre-purchase, all the way to remoting into my laptop to make sure the installation is done perfectly. Having personally dealt with many tuners and performance shops across the country, Alex stands in good company with them :-)

Also for what it's worth... I bought the tune as a retail customer... no special favors or pricing or anything.
My main concern is understanding what’s being done enough to be comfortable that the tunes are safe and reliable. I know it’s about adjusting the sensitivity to the knock sensors (Alex please correct me if needed I won’t take offence) I believe but I’d still like to hear how that definitely won’t cause an issue.

Why wouldn’t BMW have done this if it was safe? Surely this water injection on the GTS isn’t all marketing? Why wouldn’t they have increased knock sensitivity and boost pressure to get gains in the regular M3 if it was safe and reliable to do so. We’re they just creating a deliberate gap to fill with a new product?

This is not an attack on Alex and would apply to all tunes. If I was to get a competitors tune I’d be asking the same thing about the boost pressure. What’s got me going is how is it being done without the boost pressure when it’s what all the ‘guru’ places are doing?

Is perhaps Alex better at the coding side?

Alex feel free to weigh in directly if you like.

It is good to see a couple of reviews coming in....
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 01:30 PM   #92
BigDog
Major
United_States
Rep

Being the armchair expert that I am, I believe that BMW was creating a deliberate gap... ZCP, CS, GTS, etc. before the days of a flashing, we all had our piggybacks and were able to crank out more power with minimal effort... this isn't to defend Alex or speak against other tuners, just my thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeprequired View Post
My main concern is understanding what’s being done enough to be comfortable that the tunes are safe and reliable. I know it’s about adjusting the sensitivity to the knock sensors (Alex please correct me if needed I won’t take offence) I believe but I’d still like to hear how that definitely won’t cause an issue.

Why wouldn’t BMW have done this if it was safe? Surely this water injection on the GTS isn’t all marketing? Why wouldn’t they have increased knock sensitivity and boost pressure to get gains in the regular M3 if it was safe and reliable to do so. We’re they just creating a deliberate gap to fill with a new product?

This is not an attack on Alex and would apply to all tunes. If I was to get a competitors tune I’d be asking the same thing about the boost pressure. What’s got me going is how is it being done without the boost pressure when it’s what all the ‘guru’ places are doing?

01-07-2018, 07:07 PM   #93
djpeetur
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Review Stage 2

Finally got my stage 2 tune and gts and dct coding done by Alex. The car is more controlled and compliant with all the gts coding. The steering is heavier, suspension stiffer, the car doesn’t bounce around and rock back and forth. The Dct coding makes my shifting a lot smoother. The transmission isn’t confused as before. Take off from a dig is crisp and clean. The stage 2 tune is very smooth, there isn’t any jerking or hesitation. Tunes that do jerk and hesitate do feel more powerful. But I daily my car and this was all around perfect for me. Like Alex said this isn’t the most powerful tune which is fine. I’ve had other powerful tunes and it was just simply to much for my 600 miles per week driving. All in all. The tune and coding package was perfect. No I can’t hang with a gtr with this tune. But I enjoy my overall package tune/coding, power, noise, balance. At the end of the day, i just want a daily ultimate driving experience.
Appreciate 2
cliverman955.50
Ibiza3478.50
      01-07-2018, 09:09 PM   #94
kerm1t
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP Stage 2

Quote:

AMAZING!

is it feeling quicker than map 2?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 07:16 AM   #95
BigDog
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerm1t View Post
Quote:

AMAZING!

is it feeling quicker than map 2?
Yes, not only does it feel quicker, but it's much smoother delivery... a week in and about 400 miles on snow tires... but am super satisfied :-)
      01-08-2018, 10:41 PM   #96
sleeprequired
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeetur View Post
Finally got my stage 2 tune and gts and dct coding done by Alex. The car is more controlled and compliant with all the gts coding. The steering is heavier, suspension stiffer, the car doesn’t bounce around and rock back and forth. The Dct coding makes my shifting a lot smoother. The transmission isn’t confused as before. Take off from a dig is crisp and clean. The stage 2 tune is very smooth, there isn’t any jerking or hesitation. Tunes that do jerk and hesitate do feel more powerful. But I daily my car and this was all around perfect for me. Like Alex said this isn’t the most powerful tune which is fine. I’ve had other powerful tunes and it was just simply to much for my 600 miles per week driving. All in all. The tune and coding package was perfect. No I can’t hang with a gtr with this tune. But I enjoy my overall package tune/coding, power, noise, balance. At the end of the day, i just want a daily ultimate driving experience.
did you come from a competition spec or regular? Also the steering being heavier. I find comfort steering is heavy enough, as do most reviewers who drive the car. you're saying it's even heavier... than comfort? or sport+??
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 11:20 PM   #97
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
did you come from a competition spec or regular? Also the steering being heavier. I find comfort steering is heavy enough, as do most reviewers who drive the car. you're saying it's even heavier... than comfort? or sport+??
Comfort feels the same to me except it gets rid of the dead spot at center. I’m on the GTS coding for steering.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 03:27 AM   #98
djpeetur
Captain
United_States
Rep

Came from regular. Heavier than sport +. I like my car stiff
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 03:44 AM   #99
sleeprequired
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeetur View Post
Came from regular. Heavier than sport +. I like my car stiff
I need roadfeel. Sport plus feels too stiff to interpret what the tyres are doing for me. Truthfully roadfeel isnt one of the m’s strongest points so if the gts steering helped w Th that I’d be thrilled
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 04:39 PM   #100
parabmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 m4

Any tuning logs?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 01:33 AM   #101
djpeetur
Captain
United_States
Rep

How do you do that. Is it in the loader ?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 11:50 AM   #102
ts-m5
Private
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 -> F06 M6 -> F90 M5

Today, I got the stage1 tune for my stock "civc" 2015 M4. Only mod to my car is KW clubsport 2way.

Took it for a test drive on the 'shuto expressway' for about an hour, and was able to feel that added kick, especially in sport+ mode. I should be getting used to the added kick from stage1 tune in few months or so, so I will probably be contacting Alex again to get stage2 flashed.

I'm also happy with the 'start up roar'. Feels good everytime turning the engine on!

I don't have any concerns driving in town in all three modes (efficient/sport/sport+).

'Burble' in sport and sport+ mode is tuned just right in my opinion. It's like not too much or too less, just perfect. So far my wife and daughter hasn't asked me something like "what's with this popping crackling sound coming from rear? Is something wrong?"

Another thing I noticed is the change in exhaust sound when I'm in sport and sport+ mode. I really like this! Prior to getting this tune, the change in exhaust sound was so subtle, and wasn't so happy about it but I had stayed with stock exhaust system until now. Seems like I'll be staying longer with the stock exhaust system.

And moreover, I really want to thank Alex for his professional service and also for the extra time he had spent with me for additional custom codings.
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2018, 02:03 PM   #103
///M Boss
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 ///M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts-m4 View Post
Today, I got the stage1 tune for my stock "civc" 2015 M4. Only mod to my car is KW clubsport 2way.

Took it for a test drive on the 'shuto expressway' for about an hour, and was able to feel that added kick, especially in sport+ mode. I should be getting used to the added kick from stage1 tune in few months or so, so I will probably be contacting Alex again to get stage2 flashed.

I'm also happy with the 'start up roar'. Feels good everytime turning the engine on!

I don't have any concerns driving in town in all three modes (efficient/sport/sport+).

'Burble' in sport and sport+ mode is tuned just right in my opinion. It's like not too much or too less, just perfect. So far my wife and daughter hasn't asked me something like "what's with this popping crackling sound coming from rear? Is something wrong?"

Another thing I noticed is the change in exhaust sound when I'm in sport and sport+ mode. I really like this! Prior to getting this tune, the change in exhaust sound was so subtle, and wasn't so happy about it but I had stayed with stock exhaust system until now. Seems like I'll be staying longer with the stock exhaust system.

And moreover, I really want to thank Alex for his professional service and also for the extra time he had spent with me for additional custom codings.
I agree and feel the same way, I'm loving it again. The stock exhaust sounds totally different from just the flash. I can't wait to install my ZCP exhaust and Remus mid pipe it should be insane My 911T order can wait for one more year now. :
Appreciate 2
ts-m516.50
      01-13-2018, 02:28 PM   #104
drkeng
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 M4 'vert Tanz Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkeng View Post
Could you expound a little on the above statement regarding "new software"?
Are you saying it's like anti-dazzle LED's? Burble, etc are there, but "decoded"?
Your tune "unlocks" them?

Is a 2018 DCT "coded" differently than, say, a 2015 car?

What are you referring to when you say "safety parameters"? DSC? What else?
Just looking for as much clarification as I can.
any response to these questions?

also, how long until we see dyno plots?

hoping to make a decision in the spring when back on summer tires.
      01-14-2018, 04:26 AM   #105
djw007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 M Sport 335i

Hi, few questions..

1. Whats the difference between OEM Like, CS Like, GTS like tunes and actual OEM Tunes that others are offering? i.e why isn't your CS Tune the actual OEM CS tune?

2.How come you don't require VIN for this process?

3.Where does the stock tune file come from if you wish to flash back? And how do you get the stage tune file, via email?

4.When you ship the OBD unit does it come with a cable? what type of cable is it.. USB, Enet etc?

5.How are the customization options applied such as Cold Start Delete and Increase Horsepower/Torque Display in iDrive. Is that part of the tune file already or does the user add or delete these features via your software?

6.Any screenshots of software/instructions/tutorials etc?

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 09:50 AM   #106
Alex@Alpine
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Manufactures have high standards when it comes to the reliability/length the vehicle should last, I remember reading that their goal was for their line of vehicles to hit 400K+ miles. Also requirements of their partners. Many parts on the vehicle are outsourced, as you can simply pop the hood and you will see Bosch parts all over the place. If X part fails and is replaced, the dealer replaces it for you but the manufacture later has it replaced or reimbursed from the parts provider. In the case of the turbo's for example X provider could say the max these turbo's can be pushed is lets say 20PSI. The turbo company can say if you want to increase the boost you must add better cooling for example. The GTS can be driven with the meth tank empty or fully removed, the car just simply reduces power slightly at the top end.

The GTS & CS have small difference that would not allow you to directly copy a file over to the a standard M3/4. For example they both have larger oil capacity. Some vendors are based in the US and some are outside and can use or claim differently, some just do not care how it is worded (please do not question me about this.)

As you can see throughout time I stay quite in most threads and do not make much threads, all my business over the years has been mostly word of mouth. I am here for the customer 3 to 5 years down the line, not to grab as many customers I can. I am here so 2-4 years down the line someone says I've been running his tune for 50K no problems. The motor on the E9X platform I did not even make a thread, customers made threads and over the years no one has had a complaint.

Couple guys here on the thread came from other tuning companies who gave them X calibration software. These customers both returned and said "your tune is much smoother." In the long run you will see more and more customers switching back and forth between companies and more reviews will come.

Keep in mind, software versions on these vehicles make a big difference. I have seen tuners tune with much older software, some tuners have older GTS files they are using from 03/2016, I can tell by just hearing the start up roar that it is an older file. I personally only and only tune on the latest software with the latest information.

Tuners and shops around the world rely on me daily to update vehicles, restore vehicles, and help them with various other tasks for the last 9 years. Gathering all the knowledge from multiple angles allows me to offer the full experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkeng View Post
any response to these questions?

also, how long until we see dyno plots?

hoping to make a decision in the spring when back on summer tires.
I do not want to personally get a dyno and post it, I rather have a customer do it without me forcing their hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djw007 View Post
Hi, few questions..

1. Whats the difference between OEM Like, CS Like, GTS like tunes and actual OEM Tunes that others are offering? i.e why isn't your CS Tune the actual OEM CS tune?

3.Where does the stock tune file come from if you wish to flash back? And how do you get the stage tune file, via email?

4.When you ship the OBD unit does it come with a cable? what type of cable is it.. USB, Enet etc?

5.How are the customization options applied such as Cold Start Delete and Increase Horsepower/Torque Display in iDrive. Is that part of the tune file already or does the user add or delete these features via your software?

Cheers.

Some might word it differently. You can not directly put a CS or GTS file onto a car. If you read my above answer it will help.

VIN is required, I will gather this information after you purchase.

Once you are connected to the vehicle we will read your stock file information and I will provide you a stock file. You can receive your files VIA email, remote session or download link. All my customers have my direct phone line and can text message me.

Yes it comes with a cable. The cable is USB to OBDII.

It will be part of the tune file you request. For example

File requests:

File 1. Stage 2 cold start delete, no burbles
File 2. Stage 1 Cat Delete, Cold Start Delete
File 3. Stage 2+ 7700Red Line, Cold Start Delete

Shortly I will provide a video tutorial.
Appreciate 2
whoop_ass355.00
Ibiza3478.50
      01-17-2018, 10:01 AM   #107
iamvietness
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex@Alpine View Post
Manufactures have high standards when it comes to the reliability/length the vehicle should last, I remember reading that their goal was for their line of vehicles to hit 400K+ miles. Also requirements of their partners. Many parts on the vehicle are outsourced, as you can simply pop the hood and you will see Bosch parts all over the place. If X part fails and is replaced, the dealer replaces it for you but the manufacture later has it replaced or reimbursed from the parts provider. In the case of the turbo's for example X provider could say the max these turbo's can be pushed is lets say 20PSI. The turbo company can say if you want to increase the boost you must add better cooling for example. The GTS can be driven with the meth tank empty or fully removed, the car just simply reduces power slightly at the top end.

The GTS & CS have small difference that would not allow you to directly copy a file over to the a standard M3/4. For example they both have larger oil capacity. Some vendors are based in the US and some are outside and can use or claim differently, some just do not care how it is worded (please do not question me about this.)

As you can see throughout time I stay quite in most threads and do not make much threads, all my business over the years has been mostly word of mouth. I am here for the customer 3 to 5 years down the line, not to grab as many customers I can. I am here so 2-4 years down the line someone says I've been running his tune for 50K no problems. The motor on the E9X platform I did not even make a thread, customers made threads and over the years no one has had a complaint.

Couple guys here on the thread came from other tuning companies who gave them X calibration software. These customers both returned and said "your tune is much smoother." In the long run you will see more and more customers switching back and forth between companies and more reviews will come.

Keep in mind, software versions on these vehicles make a big difference. I have seen tuners tune with much older software, some tuners have older GTS files they are using from 03/2016, I can tell by just hearing the start up roar that it is an older file. I personally only and only tune on the latest software with the latest information.

Tuners and shops around the world rely on me daily to update vehicles, restore vehicles, and help them with various other tasks for the last 9 years. Gathering all the knowledge from multiple angles allows me to offer the full experience.

I do not want to personally get a dyno and post it, I rather have a customer do it without me forcing their hand.

Some might word it differently. You can not directly put a CS or GTS file onto a car. If you read my above answer it will help.

Once you are connected to the vehicle we will read your stock file information and I will provide you a stock file. You can receive your files VIA email, remote session or download link. All my customers have my direct phone line and can text message me.

File requests:

Alex do you need to get with me for the file requests or will we be doing that when we speak on the phone?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 10:04 AM   #108
Alex@Alpine
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamvietness View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex@Alpine View Post

File requests:

Alex do you need to get with me for the file requests or will we be doing that when we speak on the phone?
However you like. Please email or text message me

+13105600808
Alex@alpinemss.com
Appreciate 1
esb1621.00
      01-19-2018, 01:11 PM   #109
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP & S1000 XR

So... I got the Stage 2+ tune from Alex@Alpine, cable/connector was shipped with one day delivery.
Alex has been brilliant with me, offering full instructions and/or remote assistance, despite the 8 hour time difference between us.
His instructions don't really leave any scope for error, they're clear & easy to follow. I'm quite a novice when it comes to technical computer stuff, but even I found this pretty easy.
Half-an-hour from start to finish.
It's sub-zero here at the moment, with wet slippy roads. But I had to have a drive when completed.

WOW, WOW & WOW again. Epic power, delivered smoothly. Even with T/C coming on (a lot), even in a straight line, the car was trying to stay straight.
Obviously I had to respect the conditions, but even so, the improvement is massive & massively noticeable.
What an improvement. This is just how BMW should have made the car in the first place!
I'm aiming at getting it on the Dyno it next week, so for all you sceptics out there, a graph may well be forthcoming.

For now, once again, a massive thanks to Alex. He is a wizard!
      01-19-2018, 02:36 PM   #110
sycd
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 [MT]

Garage List
2023 BMW M2 [MT]  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
Is the differential hardware of a plain M3/M4 from 2015 the same as a GTS, and the GTS differential improvements come only from software? If they are different, is there any downside going with the GTS differential tuning on a non-GTS?

The GTS press release from BMW has the following info on the differential, but it's hard to tell if only the tuning has changed or the hardware as well.

"Further enhanced rear-wheel drive with Active M Differential.
Other features helping to add an extra edge to the driving dynamics include the rear differential’s hollow lightweight output shafts and the Active M Differential. To optimize traction and stability, the latter uses an electronically controlled multi-plate limited-slip differential, which is adapted to the significantly enhanced performance capability of the BMW M4 GTS. The multi-plate limited-slip differential is proactively controlled with extremely high precision and speed. Its control unit is linked to the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) system and takes into account accelerator pedal position, wheel speeds and vehicle yaw. All driving situations can therefore be precisely analyzed and an imminent loss of traction at one side of the vehicle is identified at a very early stage. When necessary, the system reacts with split-second speed to vary the locking action, which can be anywhere between zero and 100 percent. This prevents wheel spin on low-traction surfaces, on split-traction surfaces with a big difference in friction coefficient between the left and right rear wheels, on tight hairpin bends or during fast steering maneuvers. The optimized traction also provides superb stability in challenging conditions and allows to optimally transfer the power to the ground while accelerating out of corners."
Appreciate 2