Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-07-2017, 01:32 PM   #155
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy Phoenix View Post
ahh great to know this, so it's not an absolute must to have the M Performance parts ordered and included in the VIN to have them covered under warranty
Correct.

As long as you have an invoice for purchase and install from an authorized BMW dealer, your M-Performance parts will match the new vehicle full warranty or two years on the parts themselves, whichever is longest.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 03:04 PM   #156
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Well mine has finally started to split on the other side now. I could have it zipped up like the other side but I don't want to keep removing it so I will be discussing reinforcement ideas with a fabricator to see if we can tie in the outlet pipes to the thin walls better so the cracking stops. The bummer is that it is titanium so ti plate will have to be ordered
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 03:54 PM   #157
idyfohu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Personally waiting for a friends and family deal (hopefully one like last year pops up again, fingers crossed). I still find it blasphemous that they can charge nearly $5k for an exhaust setup (one that requires cutting of the stock exhaust system and isn't a true full exhaust setup) and that WILL crack eventually.

They need to step up and do the right thing, whether it's 1st owner or 5th. It's defective.
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2017, 08:26 PM   #158
Tsimpson90
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

[IMG]http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...62CBAFA84A.jpg[/IMG]

Just bought a 16 with 12k miles. Put the car on the lift and found this. My local dealer who I didn't buy the car from ordered one with in 2 minutes of seeing the crack. Exhaust was on the original invoice so no issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 09:01 PM   #159
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by idyfohu View Post
Personally waiting for a friends and family deal (hopefully one like last year pops up again, fingers crossed). I still find it blasphemous that they can charge nearly $5k for an exhaust setup (one that requires cutting of the stock exhaust system and isn't a true full exhaust setup) and that WILL crack eventually.

They need to step up and do the right thing, whether it's 1st owner or 5th. It's defective.
won't ever consider buying the MPE after reading this thread. Not spending $5K on an exhaust that will start having issues eventually. even if it's covered by warranty, not worth the hassle to me. I'll just stick with my ZCP sports exhaust

the sad news is, I live in Dubai and the dealership here told me that I am not allowed to put any other exhaust other than the MPE as it would void the warranty, not even the Akrapovic
Appreciate 2
      04-17-2017, 09:21 PM   #160
Lojs
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 f82

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by idyfohu View Post

won't ever consider buying the MPE after reading this thread. Not spending $5K on an exhaust that will start having issues eventually. even if it's covered by warranty, not worth the hassle to me. I'll just stick with my ZCP sports exhaust

the sad news is, I live in Dubai and the dealership here told me that I am not allowed to put any other exhaust other than the MPE as it would void the warranty, not even the Akrapovic
Was the exact same reason I chose MPE over Akra 2 years ago.

Honestly if it is such a widespread issue, 2 year warranty is not the solution: BMW should call back the damn thing.
Appreciate 2
      04-17-2017, 09:25 PM   #161
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojs View Post
Was the exact same reason I chose MPE over Akra 2 years ago.

Honestly if it is such a widespread issue, 2 year warranty is not the solution: BMW should call back the damn thing.
whats funny is by now, I am sure they have realized it has a design flaw with the amounts of replacements/warranty claims they have had yet they continue to sell it totally ignoring the issue.

I can walk over to the Dubai BMW Dealership right now and order one and they wouldn't have a clue about this issue. BMW should at least stop selling it for now until they have fixed the issue....
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2017, 07:52 AM   #162
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

Latest..... the r/h side cracked not too long after the l/h was repaired so back to the fabricator to see if we can prevent future cracking.
My suspicion is that since the sides of the can is a much thinner gauge than the body is and the rear hangers are right in front of the exit pipes, the vibration the exhaust exhibits especially during the cold start process really stresses those two weld areas and after all the heat cycles etc they split. Could call it design error, poor craftsmanship or what have you. When the exhaust was off you can flex the exit pipes forward and back, up and down moving the side walls......I wonder if that is what gives our cars the buzz can sound, resonation in the hollow walled can. Anyway here is what we are trying.....support the pipes in the load areas (areas of failure). We looked at some flat bar ideas but this rotated tube idea looks cool so went with it and it kind of matches the current look and texture.... We thought about putting them on top but the fabricator didn't think it was needed and it looked like ass so we settled on this. Lets see how it works out.

The shop agree's...there is no reason why BMW should not step up and support their product. it is poor customer service. I love the exhaust so will continue to work with it

Last edited by horsepower_and_hounds; 02-13-2024 at 02:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 11:57 AM   #163
rfeener86
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehagerty View Post
Latest..... the r/h side cracked not too long after the l/h was repaired so back to the fabricator to see if we can prevent future cracking.
My suspicion is that since the sides of the can is a much thinner gauge than the body is and the rear hangers are right in front of the exit pipes, the vibration the exhaust exhibits especially during the cold start process really stresses those two weld areas and after all the heat cycles etc they split. Could call it design error, poor craftsmanship or what have you. When the exhaust was off you can flex the exit pipes forward and back, up and down moving the side walls......I wonder if that is what gives our cars the buzz can sound, resonation in the hollow walled can. Anyway here is what we are trying.....support the pipes in the load areas (areas of failure). We looked at some flat bar ideas but this rotated tube idea looks cool so went with it and it kind of matches the current look and texture.... We thought about putting them on top but the fabricator didn't think it was needed and it looked like ass so we settled on this. Lets see how it works out.

The shop agree's...there is no reason why BMW should not step up and support their product. it is poor customer service. I love the exhaust so will continue to work with it

I just returned from an ED, have been thinking about purchasing this exhaust for a long time now, received an email from my dealer stating 10% off all BMW accessories by June 1st, my CA said he wanted my "shopping list" so he could order the MPE exhaust+tips for me. Ive just read this entire thread and now my mind has completely changed. The issue continues to be unresolved, BMW wont address it, what shall I do but to save the cash. My dealer is big on Dinan which is also fully warrantied. Something to consider anyway.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 02:37 PM   #164
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfeener86 View Post
I just returned from an ED, have been thinking about purchasing this exhaust for a long time now, received an email from my dealer stating 10% off all BMW accessories by June 1st, my CA said he wanted my "shopping list" so he could order the MPE exhaust+tips for me. Ive just read this entire thread and now my mind has completely changed. The issue continues to be unresolved, BMW wont address it, what shall I do but to save the cash. My dealer is big on Dinan which is also fully warrantied. Something to consider anyway.
I would buy it...it is a great exhaust, damn expensive though. Just make sure it is logged in the system when they install it and keep the dealer receipt. That way they will replace it if yours fails. And check the M performance parts warranty, it differs from the car warranty. My problem is that I bought some kind of dealer car or lease trade in.... nobody will give me the straight scoop but the exhaust was installed and never recorded. Based on that BMW will not warranty it and the dealer has pushed it off on them so I get no coverage
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 03:52 PM   #165
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep

I hope we see a revision of the MPE that has this issue sorted
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 05:42 PM   #166
Charlie@McKennaBMWService
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Shelby GT350

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehagerty View Post

Man those are some clean welding!
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2017, 08:39 AM   #167
F80Moe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 6spd

Quote:

Kuwait dealer told me the same thing regarding warranty.

I still bought the Akra EVO
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2017, 04:52 AM   #168
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80Moe View Post
Kuwait dealer told me the same thing regarding warranty.

I still bought the Akra EVO
ahh so it's not just a BMW Dubai thing! Strange how Abu Dhabi Motors are the actual dealers for Akrapovic here and will install it and cover your warranty when the Dubai dealer would void it I just don't want the hassle of having to go to Abu Dhabi everytime I want to do any warranty claims
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 02:43 PM   #169
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

It is unfortunate that it's happening.

With dealers replacing cracked MPE so often I'm sure BMW has looked into the issue or at least got in touch with the manufacturer of the exhaust. $5k replacement exhaust systems are surely costing someone down the line.

As long as it's under warranty I would still buy it. Simply because no other exhaust delivers the kind of acoustic experience, and piece of mind knowing it's under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 05:29 AM   #170
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnitBobby View Post
It is unfortunate that it's happening.

With dealers replacing cracked MPE so often I'm sure BMW has looked into the issue or at least got in touch with the manufacturer of the exhaust. $5k replacement exhaust systems are surely costing someone down the line.

As long as it's under warranty I would still buy it. Simply because no other exhaust delivers the kind of acoustic experience, and piece of mind knowing it's under warranty.
despite all these posts and reports, it surprises me I still see people buying the MPE
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 10:17 AM   #171
ApexM3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

Garage List
16 BMW M3  [0.00]
This just happened to me on my 2016. I ordered the MPE with the car, 14k miles later i hear a super nasty rattle sounds during cold start. Took it to the dealer this morning and they confirmed the MPE is cracked.

They are replacing under warranty.
Past: 2011 E92 335Xi
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2017, 05:29 PM   #172
XHH
🇨🇦🇨🇳XHH
Rep
Drives: F82&G82 M4

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Same issue here!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2017, 07:25 PM   #173
f80er
Banned
Rep
Drives: An M3

Yeah these exhausts are trash and BMW is trash for not standing behind them when they see them crack like this. Its identical on every singe one of them.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2017, 07:53 PM   #174
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
despite all these posts and reports, it surprises me I still see people buying the MPE
Actually I've decided to not order the MPE with my '18 order. The incidence of this issue is ridiculous. I'll stick with the standard zcp exhaust, it sounds good enough. If BMW decides to implement a fix then I'll consider it down the line.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 07:46 AM   #175
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnitBobby View Post
Actually I've decided to not order the MPE with my '18 order. The incidence of this issue is ridiculous. I'll stick with the standard zcp exhaust, it sounds good enough. If BMW decides to implement a fix then I'll consider it down the line.
Smart......
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 02:35 AM   #176
franken116710
Rep
Drives: m4

do you guys know if purchasing MPe from BMW PART PROS will give warranty if installed at dealer thanks?
Appreciate 0