Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

08-24-2021, 09:26 AM   #1299
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

I bought a set of these tail lights from BayOptiks and installed this weekend when I upgraded my headlights. Marius coded mine to have the LED stay on as daytime running lights. The sun was pretty bright yesterday and the tail lights were more than visible.

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 12:55 PM   #1300
Nomana
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoDivine View Post
I bought a set of these tail lights from BayOptiks and installed this weekend when I upgraded my headlights. Marius coded mine to have the LED stay on as daytime running lights. The sun was pretty bright yesterday and the tail lights were more than visible.

How about turn signal?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 03:20 PM   #1301
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomana View Post
How about turn signal?
I put a video up on youtube for you.

The LED lights appear to be flickering on camera but they do not look that way in person. Also my camera is making the sun and the taillights darker than they are in person as well.

The turn signal is just visible when the sun is directly shinning on them, it is not as bright as the other lights. I think this is due to the light being yellow trying to shine through dark red tint, however, it looks harder to see in the video than it really is in real life. The brake lights and OLED running lights are extremely visible and in my opinion, more important so I made sure to have those included in the demo. People don't give us credit for using our turn signals anyway.

Last edited by SanchoDivine; 08-25-2021 at 03:35 PM..
Appreciate 2
Nomana1466.00
Jim45678165.00
      08-25-2021, 04:04 PM   #1302
Nomana
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomana View Post
How about turn signal?

The LED lights appear to be flickering on camera but they do not look that way in person. Also my camera is making the sun and the taillights darker than they are in person as well.

The turn signal is just visible when the sun is directly shinning on them, it is not as bright as the other lights. I think this is due to the light being yellow trying to shine through dark red tint, however, it looks harder to see in the video than it really is in real life. The brake lights and OLED running lights are extremely visible and in my opinion, more important so I made sure to have those included in the demo. People don't give us credit for using our turn signals anyway.

Thank you for the vid. Nice looking car
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2021, 07:06 AM   #1303
erik_m3g80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 Competition

Did someone of you found a way to stop the running indicator on the F80 model? I really don’t like the running style like Audi etc. Would like to have it like bmw did it from the factory
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2021, 02:45 PM   #1304
SanMarino
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 435d

Hi guys,

Not sure if it has been mentioned previously, apologies if it has.

I've just fitted some vland lights today to my f32.
However one of them doesn't seem to be working correctly. Could anyone advise if this is an error on my end or a faulty light.

Thanks in advance
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 04:27 PM   #1305
4everkidd
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMarino View Post
Hi guys,

Not sure if it has been mentioned previously, apologies if it has.

I've just fitted some vland lights today to my f32.
However one of them doesn't seem to be working correctly. Could anyone advise if this is an error on my end or a faulty light.

Thanks in advance
I would suggest pulling the plug and checking the pins. Looks like one isn't engaged / might be bent
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 09:52 AM   #1306
OtisF80M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Looks like you have some leds that are burnt out.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 04:18 PM   #1307
SanMarino
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 435d

Thanks for your replies guys.

Tried having a play around with the connectors but no luck.

I managed to get hold of the seller, and he's sending me out a replacement.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 08:53 AM   #1308
misguided_will
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i M Sport

Yikes. Definitely too dim in my opinion. Thanks heaps for the vid. Trying to cancel my order from vland now. Hope it's not too late.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 11:34 AM   #1309
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by misguided_will View Post
Yikes. Definitely too dim in my opinion. Thanks heaps for the vid. Trying to cancel my order from vland now. Hope it's not too late.

Quote:

I think you might be jumping the gun a bit based on what has been discussed on this topic in this thread…

1. It is very difficult for your typical cell phone camera to capture real world lighting conditions and what the human eye will actually see.

2. As discussed earlier in this thread VLAND has allegedly addressed this issue (if it were really an actual issue) with the latest tail lights that were produced.

So chances are you will be fine since you placed a recent order, but if you are unsure, why don't you just ask VLAND? But the choice is yours obviously…

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 04:17 PM   #1310
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

I've been driving with the VLAND tails for months now in the bright Utah sunlight.

Somehow I haven't been hit or killed by someone not seeing my turn signal. Unlike most BMW owners, I do signal!
Appreciate 2
Hokayy57.00
9M711233.50
      09-27-2021, 05:20 PM   #1311
lookitsapples
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 m3

Quote:

Nice headlights! What specs did you go with those bayoptiks?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 05:41 PM   #1312
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguided_will View Post
It was extremely bright this day and it may have affected my camera because even my headlights appear darker. I would like the turn signals to be as bright as the brake lights which are extremely bright but the turn signals are not so dim that people can't see them.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 10:40 PM   #1313
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookitsapples View Post
Nice headlights! What specs did you go with those bayoptiks?
Thanks! I went with their standard base Vision Concept LED headlight retrofit which includes:
  • V3 Vision Concept 6k dual row LED gel coated rings featuring an advanced etching design
  • V3 6k/amber gel coated switchback eyebrows
  • V3 6k triple led corner markers
  • Satin black paintwork

and I also opted to get the blue/white concept half x
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 03:41 PM   #1314
F32 M Perf.
CoolWhip_
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW F32 FBO

Why with the lights selector in the Auto position, I don't get daylight running lights in the back with the VLAND tails? I have to put the selector ON to get running lights in the back. My front daylight running lights work as normal.
2014 F32 Silver Glacier RWD | MPPK I & II | Blk Dakota leather | CeramicPro coating | Full CF MPerf exterior | CF front fender (boomerang) trims | Tinted windows | GTS OLED-style taillights | CF eyelids | CF shark fin | Full black gloss CF interior trim | Apple CarPlay MMI | Full bolt-ons | Turbosmart Dual Port BOV | BM3 S2.

Last edited by F32 M Perf.; 10-02-2021 at 04:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 02:02 AM   #1315
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32 M Perf. View Post
Why with the lights selector in the Auto position, I don't get daylight running lights in the back with the VLAND tails? I have to put the selector ON to get running lights in the back. My front daylight running lights work as normal.
The car doesn't have tail lights coded to be daytime running lights, so you have to code it to do so for them or the OLED lights to be on as your running lights.
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2021, 07:45 PM   #1316
shaddy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Looks like I might be the first to have this issue with the tail lights, I haven't seen much on it. This just started a few days ago, but after about 5-10 minutes of driving I get a "Right Brake Lamp Malfunction" error pop up. The right brake lamp will stop along with my Kohlenstoff diffuser light that is wired to the plug pre-connection. After cycling the ignition, the brake light works as intended with no issues but it comes back every time now.

My first thought was maybe the bulbs are going out, but I pulled off the tail light and there is no traditional bulb. I reseated the pins in case the connection came loose. Issue still persists.

My next thought is that there is something going on with a resistor that is causing a voltage fluctuation, so the car sees this and shuts off the power to the right side brake lamps. I'm going to try unplugging the resistors that can be unplugged and seeing if that fixes the issue. If not, I'll do the coding changes mentioned in another post:

Brake Light Warm Monitoring -> Not Active
Reverse Light Left Lamp -> LED
Reversing Light Left Warm Monitoring -> Not Active
Reverse Light Right Lamp -> LED
Reversing Light Right Warm Monitoring -> Not Active

Will report back
      10-14-2021, 08:28 PM   #1317
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Looks like one (or more) of the resistors may be failing - they can be prone to do this. This is why I removed all but two of the resistors, and then used the coding to take care of a few intermittent errors I received, like the errors you posted.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 1
shaddy150.50
      10-14-2021, 10:50 PM   #1318
shaddy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Looks like one (or more) of the resistors may be failing - they can be prone to do this. This is why I removed all but two of the resistors, and then used the coding to take care of a few intermittent errors I received, like the errors you posted.
Yeah I saw your post that's what I was referring to! So I unplugged all of the resistors besides the one hard wired and still got the issue.

So I went to code with BimmerCode and found that iOS 15 broke Ethernet connection with an ENET so luckily I had my Bluetooth adaptor and that worked just a bit slower.

At some point recently BimmerCode must have updated their settings because there isn't a voltage monitoring category anymore, but there are more LED conversion options. Maybe they're consolidated, you can see from my screenshot that it's now used to avoid errors. Anyways, so I coded everything to LED conversion - Active in the rear, only things not already Active were brake light, turn signal, and reverse. I just got back from a long test drive and no issues so far. I'll update if anything happens! But I'd advise everybody to just code those values anyways if you're already in there.

The values in the screenshots are from BimmerCode in Demo mode so they don't reflect what I already did in my car, it's not connected.
Attached Images

10-15-2021, 06:34 PM   #1319
Bobdubich
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 2015 M4 F83

Can anyone print me to anything that will help me install and wire these to the convertible M4? I only see walkthroughs and videos for the M4 coupe.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 03:38 PM   #1320
Downeaster1
BMW Master Tech
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E36, E82, E90, F10, F80

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonzny View Post
Has anyone figured out a way to get rid of the startup sequence?
The annoying startup sequence is the only thing preventing me from buying these.
135is #502 of 586
BMW LED Performance Wheel | OEM FULL Carbon Fiber | E9X M3 Gauge Cluster | E9X Exterior Mirrors | E9X M3 Full Suspension | E9X M3 Diff | PT-CAN2 Enabled | Bilstiens | Michelin PSS's | NBT Navigation Retrofit with Touch Pad
Appreciate 0