GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

01-15-2019, 07:55 AM   #23
clubracer6
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 911 40th AE / 16 VW GLI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmartyPants View Post
I wouldn't worry about the car being visceral. It's a real Jekyll/Hyde car. It can be mellow or mean. If you are really driving it or pushing it it's very capable and more than a little fun.
That is what I am going for. I've had a lot of 5 series, e28 535is, 3 540/6 speeds, a E39 M5 (which I do keep considering too) and a e60 535i/6 speed m-sport and they all offered that dual personality, except for the E60. My SS does a really great job of doing this, but it's just too big. The F80 seems like the perfect size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgere View Post
My recommendation is to get a car from private seller so you have better idea about the car history, 4-6 months of warranty is enough for piece of mind. As long as the big ticket options match, don't worry about the rest. This car doesn't need any options except for one - proper exhaust. I got MPE and love it but there are many others.
That would be ideal! I would save a bunch on tax too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWM View Post
Don't overpay for a used car. I just scooped a stripper brand new 2018 for $60k. CPO is nice but if not CPO, why not go no miles and full warranty left ?

I don't understand the used market on these cars — it confuses me almost as much as the used market on Toyota Tacoma trucks. If I can have new for minimal spend over used (e.g., less than a dime for every mile I roll back the odometer), why in the F wouldn't I buy new ?
Absolutely considering that too. Can always do coilovers and other mods as needed.

Thank you all!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 08:17 AM   #24
Alpine_F82
Just Building My M4 Track Car
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15’ M4 Alpine

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubracer6 View Post
Been M3 shopping for a month or so. First and foremost, some great information in this forum.

Looking to replace my 17 Chevy SS (which is a great car), a 16 VW GLI and 04 E46 330ci. The SS only has 3900 miles, a one year color and a manual, which makes is a bit rare. 1 of 125 to be exact. It's a great car:
Pros:
Great sounds
Fits the family amazingly well
Steering and handling are great by modern standards
Truly a special car – last of a breed.
A total sleeper color aside

Cons:
Too big
Speed does not live up to the sound
The tech could be better - the way you interact with it, not the tech itself
Seats are not great for track days
I've made it precious (which I could overcome at some point)

The M3 is great, not perfect, but maybe the practical solution to have just one car (still might get a cheap Miata to go with it). Great interior, size, power, tech, looks and decent MPG. Concerned about the visceral engagement and that's about it. I log the most miles in the GLI and I figure if I can live with that then the M3 should be just fine.

So far two short test drives in a 17 comp pack 6 speed and a 17 non ZCP DCT. The ZCP car had snow tires on and I'm not sure the pressures were right, so honestly did not feel a ton of difference between the two. The DCT was amazing, but really want the manual.

Seems like pricing is lining up like this right now.
16's mid $40's to lower $50's little to no warranty left
17's in the 50's. ZCP's mid to upper 50's. ~2 years of warranty
18's high 50's to low 60's. ZCP a little higher yet. ~3 years of warranty

Sunroof cars seem harder to find than manuals. Private sellers are a bit rare too as it seems most people lease these.

All over the place on where to land and think it will come down to getting as close to the perfect spec as possible.

Saving $10 to $15k to give up the warranty and maintenance sounds good, plus the depreciation will be slower, but I find myself looking at the 17's and 18's more, simply for peace of mind. 18's have some amazing colors, but it is worth $20k more…

My main wish list: a sunroof, manual, exec package, comp package and the cloth interior would all be ideal. No black. My perfect car would be Nardo Gray, 6 speed, comp package, sunroof and cloth. Have yet to see one.

I have time on my side to find the right one.

So a quick hello and thank you for all the helpful information. I am most pleased to see how reliable these seem to be. That is a big factor in my decision.

I will keep a look out for this car when I was looking for my car around a year ago it took me about a year to find it, at the time I was looking for a 15 or 16 alpine white or sakhir orange in a manual with CF Roof and leather interior and low miles around 35k and below. as being the only cars where in California that I could find and want planning going there or shipping, I ended up getting a Alpine White M4 with DCT, CF Roof with M perf exhaust and CF Mirrors looked so good in person I had to buy it, I ended up buying it on vacation on the way back home it was at Critz BMW it looked so good and in immaculate condition so I bought it and my number 1 spec was sakhir orange with white leather interior and a manual 35k or under I never found one pretty rare car from ever dealer I told that, but white is one of the most easy colors to find and It is one of the best and I wanted a manual but the DCT is not bad and I am daily driving this so I do like the DCT. I remember at this time my exact spec would sell within 3 days the time a guy even got back to me it was sold so idk if it’s still like that but the bardo grey is pretty rare in what you are looking for I will keep you updated if I find anything.
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2019, 04:01 PM   #25
Wmf80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWM View Post
Don’t overpay for a used car. I just scooped a stripper brand new 2018 for $60k. CPO is nice but if not CPO, why not go no miles and full warranty left ?

I don’t understand the used market on these cars — it confuses me almost as much as the used market on Toyota Tacoma trucks. If I can have new for minimal spend over used (e.g., less than a dime for every mile I roll back the odometer), why in the F wouldn’t I buy new ?
Man I still think I got a great deal back in oct 17’ for my 18 stripper M3 (mineral white )
For 61k...
Still, 60k for a M3 , whether it’s a stripper or not seems like a fabulous bargain.
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2019, 08:19 AM   #26
MWM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckedmyf80 View Post
Man I still think I got a great deal back in oct 17’ for my 18 stripper M3 (mineral white )
For 61k...
Still, 60k for a M3 , whether it’s a stripper or not seems like a fabulous bargain.
This may piss off current owners of pristine cars looking to sell, but here’s how I see it:

Take the window of any car you’re interested in and take off 12%. With a little effort you can buy a new 2018 for that. From there take off depreciation. Early on in ownership (think steepest part of depreciation curve) these cars cost $1/mile in depreciation. Later on it’s maybe 50 cents a mile.

Let’s give benefit of doubt and say $0.50 / mi. Any used car with say 10,000 miles better be $5000 cheaper than a new car with no miles. So an $80k window car with 10k mi better be no more than $65,400 to even remotely consider. That’s for a 2018.

My opinion only, ymmv, etc.
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2019, 07:54 PM   #27
clubracer6
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the input! I thought they deleted my post but I guess it got moved here. Not sure why, was not trying to have this be about price.

That said I think I'm narrowed down to a 17 zcp. You can find quite a few under 60 even with CPO. That seems to be a the sweet spot for depreciation if you want some warranty left.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 02:14 PM   #28
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
There quite a lot of 2018 M3 and M3CS out there and I am starting to see more and more with 8-10k off msrp ,as of today over 600 according to autotrader.com. There are more M3's than CS's . Contemplating a spring purchase M5 vs current M3. Very different cars yes. However, M5 115-120k with tax and 80k for a discounted M3 . I lean towards the M5 just due to space for the family. Hummm 40k less
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 12:48 PM   #29
Alpine_F82
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for the input! I thought they deleted my post but I guess it got moved here. Not sure why, was not trying to have this be about price.

That said I think I'm narrowed down to a 17 zcp. You can find quite a few under 60 even with CPO. That seems to be a the sweet spot for depreciation if you want some warranty left.
When you said no black was that to the interior or the exterior?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 01:56 PM   #30
clubracer6
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4BimmerChris View Post
Quote:

When you said no black was that to the interior or the exterior?
The exterior.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 02:15 PM   #31
bokiboki
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper JCW

Sorry to ask in this thread, it's my first post and I probably can't even start a new thread yet - I'm in the market for a used f80 M3 (circa 2015-2016), stick, and I found one via autotrader but the dealer is not BMW dealer. Now, if I'd like to take it to a nearby BMW dealer for an inspection how much would they charge me for that? I'm just interested to have it scanned for traces of aftermarket tune and to check the service history. One hour, two hours? How much BMW usually charges per hour? The dealership is in NJ. Thanks so much and sorry OP.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 02:18 PM   #32
clubracer6
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokiboki View Post
Sorry to ask in this thread, it's my first post and I probably can't even start a new thread yet - I'm in the market for a used f80 M3 (circa 2015-2016), stick, and I found one via autotrader but the dealer is not BMW dealer. Now, if I'd like to take it to a nearby BMW dealer for an inspection how much would they charge me for that? I'm just interested to have it scanned for traces of aftermarket tune and to check the service history. One hour, two hours? How much BMW usually charges per hour? The dealership is in NJ. Thanks so much and sorry OP.
No worries! Just call the dealer and ask how much a pre-purchase inspection would be. A good BMW independent shop would be a great option. My guess is a couple of hours depending on all you want inspected.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 02:26 PM   #33
bokiboki
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper JCW

OK, thanks, will do.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 06:57 PM   #34
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokiboki View Post
OK, thanks, will do.
Go to this thread and make some "test" posts to get your post count up to be able to start a thread.

Last edited by SD ///M4; 02-07-2019 at 07:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 10:42 AM   #35
Westsider45
draught tolerant
Rep
Drives: '17 C63 sedan

There is a 6MT Individual Grigio Telesto Grey (search "telesto" to find it, they seem to have mispelled grigio) car on the San Diego craigslist that has been there for a while. CF roof, and leather, though.
'07 G35 sedan Sport 6MT - tail happy
'94 del Sol Si 5MT - sweet shifter
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2019, 01:31 PM   #36
clubracer6
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsider45 View Post
There is a 6MT Individual Grigio Telesto Grey (search "telesto" to find it, they seem to have mispelled grigio) car on the San Diego craigslist that has been there for a while. CF roof, and leather, though.
Thank you! Yes, have seen it and it's gorgeous, but sadly it has the carbon roof.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 03:11 PM   #37
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you! Yes, have seen it and it's gorgeous, but sadly it has the carbon roof.
As stated before, you're looking for a unicorn. You have to decide which one of these criteria is the most important to you, because you will probably never find all three together. Cars can be found without leather or with a sunroof, but here's one with a fairly rare Individual color, yet you reject it because all three criteria don't match, and probably never will. Also as stated before, cloth and sunroof are already in the low percentages of overall production.

I can only assume that you're not married because apparently no woman (or man) would be perfect for you.

Appreciate 1
trey1001125.00
      02-08-2019, 03:25 PM   #38
clubracer6
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
Quote:
As stated before, you're looking for a unicorn. You have to decide which one of these criteria is the most important to you, because you will probably never find all three together. Cars can be found without leather or with a sunroof, but here's one with a fairly rare Individual color, yet you reject it because all three criteria don't match, and probably never will. Also as stated before, cloth and sunroof are already in the low percentages of overall production.

I can only assume that you're not married because apparently no woman (or man) would be perfect for you.
Wow! First and foremost, I am an extremely lucky man as I have an amazing wife! 5 kids, a dog and two cats to boot! None of them are perfect, but I love them all dearly!

I have a line on 3 2017YMB, manual sunroof cars and one 16 Grey over orange sunroof manual. I'm totally fine with leather and I might consider DCT for a Nardo grey one with a sunroof. I have 3 cars and ideally would like one of them to go before adding a 4th (5 including my awesome wife's Jeep). One of them is a unicorn - a Orange Blast Metallic, Chevy/Holden SS 6 speed. 1 of 125 globally. I bought that for full price even though I was not planning on getting one just yet, but I knew another one like it would not come along.

If the perfect car comes along or can get a great deal on the ones I would be happy with I will pull the trigger now. In fact one of the YMB cars I keep trying to buy but the dealer is unreasonable.

Thanks for your input, have a great weekend and big hugs to you!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 08:20 PM   #39
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Wow! First and foremost, I am an extremely lucky man as I have an amazing wife! 5 kids, a dog and two cats to boot! None of them are perfect, but I love them all dearly!!
That's a big brood! Props to you! And you must be very successful to be able to afford the cars while feeding and housing your large family! Well done! Apparently, you're just harder on your car selection.

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 07:03 AM   #40
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
Quote:
Looks like it has the carbon roof. If I go this high it truly has to be the perfect M3. Ideally I'll keep it under $60k.
I recently pickup a 6MT FY18 Imola Red with CP, Executive package, driving assistance and Carplay blind spot wireless charger and under $69K from SoCal. plus tax & license.
Wow, I would love that set up as I had a Imola Red 330i ZHP back in 04. One of my favorite cars.
Of note his car has a CF roof.

I get the whole sunroof thing...living in Chicago with all the cloudy days, really makes it an awesome option.

Alas I wasn't even able to find a manual / sunroof car back when I wanted to buy.

So I got the CF roof but with white exterior which I think at least looks good.

I would strongly encourage you to get the 19s however due to our roads.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 08:11 AM   #41
clubracer6
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
Quote:
Looks like it has the carbon roof. If I go this high it truly has to be the perfect M3. Ideally I'll keep it under $60k.
I recently pickup a 6MT FY18 Imola Red with CP, Executive package, driving assistance and Carplay blind spot wireless charger and under $69K from SoCal. plus tax & license.
Wow, I would love that set up as I had a Imola Red 330i ZHP back in 04. One of my favorite cars.
Of note his car has a CF roof.

I get the whole sunroof thing...living in Chicago with all the cloudy days, really makes it an awesome option.

Alas I wasn't even able to find a manual / sunroof car back when I wanted to buy.

So I got the CF roof but with white exterior which I think at least looks good.

I would strongly encourage you to get the 19s however due to our roads.

Good luck!
I had the roof open during the heat wave we had a couple days ago! I think we hit 45 degrees! 😎 Love the white interior and actually one just came up with that interior. A little accident history that I need to learn more about.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 08:47 AM   #42
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

It doesn't have a sunroof and it has the 20s and it is more than you want to spend, however, I think this car is stunning...

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1510201
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2019, 09:32 AM   #43
clubracer6
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
It doesn't have a sunroof and it has the 20s and it is more than you want to spend, however, I think this car is stunning...

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1510201
Yeah I've seen that one... absolutely stunning is right!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 01:39 PM   #44
Alpine_F82
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah I've seen that one... absolutely stunning is right!
https://www.bmwofalexandria.com/deta...hicleNumValXS=

I found this one but no sunroof cloth or comp pack
Appreciate 1