Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

12-11-2018, 08:16 AM   #45
overlook637
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
I corresponded with Blackstone regarding their oil samples on the S55 engine. Here is what they said:

"Most of the samples we've seen from the S55 engine are using BMW's own oil, which makes sense, because probably the majority are getting their oil changes done at the dealership. We have seen some using Red Line 5W/30 and a few other oil types, but none that seem to be any better or worse in general than any of the others. In most cases, we find that the specific brand doesn't matter, as long as the oil is of the proper viscosity and meets all of the correct certifications for that type of engine, so as far as we're concerned, it's fine to use any oil that meets those criteria. We've not seen any one type of oil significantly outperform another, regardless of the specific engine or application, in terms of the results that we can measure from the used oil."

Hope this helps!
Blackstone typically recommends what ever spec/rating is suggested by manufacture and then get which ever brand is on sale or the cheapest.
Appreciate 1
gatorfast4994.50
      12-16-2018, 03:00 AM   #46
Holdeezy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Austin Yellow

Thank you all for this info. New m4 owner here.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 06:05 PM   #47
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I know I'm replying to a super old thread but I've had to rebuild too many people's engines who make this mistake: racing oil is not "better" than normal road car oil and it certainly cannot be used for long drain intervals like a road oil can. Racing oil is for racing, it has fewer additives that can make it last 7,000, 10,000, 15,000 miles like road car oil and the tradeoff is that it allows for a little better performance, lower oil temps, etc. when racing. Race cars and track cars change their oil very frequently. Our shop has a Mercedes track car that has about 5,000 miles on it but it's been 100% at the track so it's had dozens and dozens of oil changes.

I'm saying this so no one thinks it's a good idea to run Motul 300v or another racing oil in the car UNLESS they plan to change the oil frequently. If you try to keep the 300v in there for 10,000 miles, you're gonna have a real bad time. Motul makes fantastic oils and their 8100 series oils are perfect for high performance street cars even if you do several track events.

Mileage recommendations vary but most people in the industry say to change 300v every 2-3,000 miles of street driving, absolutely never more than 5,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 06:09 AM   #48
skyrunner86
Poland
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
Mileage recommendations vary but most people in the industry say to change 300v every 2-3,000 miles of street driving, absolutely never more than 5,000 miles.
I'm glad i've read this. So those LongLife oils are really the best thing i can run the engine on? I'm doing ca 10k miles per oil change, the car is chiptuned to around 520hp and i'm doing around 5 track days per year. I want to protect the engine from wear as much as i can. I (apparently mistakenly) thought those LongLife-specced oils are mainly there to...well..last long as BMW's maintenance schedule states you can change the oil as rarely as every 2 years.
Appreciate 0