Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

07-01-2016, 09:38 AM   #45
sA x sKy
Sameet
Bangladesh
Rep
Drives: AY/B M4 '15

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Getting my set from Alex@ACM next week.. I can't wait.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 10:40 PM   #46
WoohooSoCal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 SS II / SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1azycat View Post
Rear is too bumpy, have to swap out to stock M3 springs.

Care to elaborate further? What type of road conditions? What type of driving produced a rear that is too "bumpy". Are you in Singapore?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 11:54 PM   #47
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoohooSoCal View Post
Care to elaborate further? What type of road conditions? What type of driving produced a rear that is too "bumpy". Are you in Singapore?

Thanks.
Maybe he is referring to the higher than usual rear spring rate.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 11:57 PM   #48
slavearm
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5CE MBB/SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavearm View Post
Getting mine installed on Tuesday at Supreme.
They couldn't move me up to Tuesday, so I am going in on Friday.... ill post before and after pics. I am not planning on dropping the car much.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 05:55 PM   #49
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
They couldn't move me up to Tuesday, so I am going in on Friday.... ill post before and after pics. I am not planning on dropping the car much.
Can't wait for your review.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 03:36 AM   #50
1azycat
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 CP

Yes the rear ohlins spring is too stiff! Use the stock rear springs instead!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 10:11 AM   #51
Celestion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1azycat View Post
Yes the rear ohlins spring is too stiff! Use the stock rear springs instead!
Please elaborate if you don't mind. Do you have these Öhlins coilovers on your car already?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 07:44 PM   #52
tke743
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestion View Post
Please elaborate if you don't mind. Do you have these Öhlins coilovers on your car already?
Profile says he drives a 335i, does he have an f8X?
      07-07-2016, 09:05 PM   #53
kitesurfer
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Round n' Round

Garage List
I believe if you are going to run the 1300 lb rear springs on the track then you had better ditch the 500lb front springs and step up to around 900lb fronts to get this system in balance. Otherwise drop the rear spring rate down to 800-900lb range and you'll be good for both the street & Track.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 09:18 PM   #54
slavearm
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
I believe if you are going to run the 1300 lb rear springs on the track then you had better ditch the 500lb front springs and step up to around 900lb fronts to get this system in balance. Otherwise drop the rear spring rate down to 800-900lb range and you'll be good for both the street & Track.
Based on what? Did you put the car on the shaker rack with this setup? How about knowing the damping rate of the front vs rear, or even track times with different setups. Oh wait... Ohlins did do that and has an engineering team that seems to be pretty damn good at their jobs. Everyone seems to be plenty happy to criticize with little to no experience with the setup or information about how the complete system functions together. They look at spring rate and go, OH MY GOD! TOO STIFF! WTF ARE THEY THINKING!?!?!?

Love me some internet forum genius backwater engineer wanna bees.

Last edited by slavearm; 07-07-2016 at 09:23 PM..
Appreciate 2
      07-08-2016, 03:53 AM   #55
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Based on what? Did you put the car on the shaker rack with this setup? How about knowing the damping rate of the front vs rear, or even track times with different setups. Oh wait... Ohlins did do that and has an engineering team that seems to be pretty damn good at their jobs. Everyone seems to be plenty happy to criticize with little to no experience with the setup or information about how the complete system functions together. They look at spring rate and go, OH MY GOD! TOO STIFF! WTF ARE THEY THINKING!?!?!?

Love me some internet forum genius backwater engineer wanna bees.

We have installed several F3x kits(one of them being a much higher 428i) and at around 900 lb/in for the rear of the car(where you typically find 500-600 lb springs in other kits), it's not really that stiff. It is a bit firmer than stock, but the dampers work so well, bumps are soaked up much better without upsetting the chassis, especially in mid turn.

Months of street, track and shaker rig testing derived at the current spring rates. Not from just trial and error or beta testers. I do understand some coilover manufacturers don't have the resources so trial and error, beta tester's feed back is all they can rely on.

A couple of F3x reviews. I don't think the F8x reviews will veer off much:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=41

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=46
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 11:44 PM   #56
slavearm
Lieutenant
Rep

So... got them on and a few notes...

1. Ride is slighty stiffer in rear than my stock static dampers
2. Car actually seems to ride much better than stock. Smoother. So even though there is a bump, it is not a jolt anymore.
3. Rear end does not wiggle anymore. Not a great description, but when you used to jump on it with traction control off, the back end would wobble as the car sat back on the suspension. Almost non-existent now.
4. Height is awesome. Not too low at all even with my M performance lip.

By the way... the team at Supreme is amazing. They had to track down a missing nut (seriously ohlins.... you suck at packaging... but make great suspension setups), deal with the fact that the OR/T sits out further than the stock suspension and was hitting my 275 width from tires on stock rims, deal with the fact that the TCK Camber plates don't seem to work right or fit right with this suspension, and stayed until almost 9PM to get everything back together after the hex tune and what not. I love those guys. Total pros and didn't try to wreck me for the install.
Appreciate 4
      07-09-2016, 08:55 AM   #57
Celestion
Lieutenant
Rep

I like your review. Thanks for posting it! I assume brake dive is a thing of the past now as well. Is this true?

However....
Quote:
...the fact that the OR/T sits out further than the stock suspension and was hitting my 275 width from tires on stock rims...
...is somewhat alarming. How were they able to fix that? Do you think people with wider tires and rims will be able to run these coilovers?

Last edited by Celestion; 07-09-2016 at 10:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 11:20 AM   #58
slavearm
Lieutenant
Rep

Threw a spacer on. The stock tires fit fine. But I was one of those people that threw the rear tires up front and put 295s in the back.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 06:14 PM   #59
mr_tofu
Private
Rep
Drives: MW M4

Quote:
They had to track down a missing nut (seriously ohlins.... you suck at packaging... but make great suspension setups)
Was hoping it just happened to me. Was it the same nut I put in the original post?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 06:20 PM   #60
slavearm
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_tofu View Post
Was hoping it just happened to me. Was it the same nut I put in the original post?
Yep. The way I see it, Ohlins owes me for about an extra hour of install costs due to the team having to track down a suitable replacement... and going insane thinking they may have misplaced it.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 02:29 PM   #61
sA x sKy
Sameet
Bangladesh
Rep
Drives: AY/B M4 '15

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Just got mine. Hopefully can install next week
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
sly1types431.50
      07-16-2016, 05:18 PM   #62
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So... got them on and a few notes...

1. Ride is slighty stiffer in rear than my stock static dampers
2. Car actually seems to ride much better than stock. Smoother. So even though there is a bump, it is not a jolt anymore.
3. Rear end does not wiggle anymore. Not a great description, but when you used to jump on it with traction control off, the back end would wobble as the car sat back on the suspension. Almost non-existent now.
4. Height is awesome. Not too low at all even with my M performance lip.

By the way... the team at Supreme is amazing. They had to track down a missing nut (seriously ohlins.... you suck at packaging... but make great suspension setups), deal with the fact that the OR/T sits out further than the stock suspension and was hitting my 275 width from tires on stock rims, deal with the fact that the TCK Camber plates don't seem to work right or fit right with this suspension, and stayed until almost 9PM to get everything back together after the hex tune and what not. I love those guys. Total pros and didn't try to wreck me for the install.
Care to share why the TCKR plates didn't work with the Ohlins?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 09:09 AM   #63
Celestion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sA x sKy View Post
Just got mine. Hopefully can install next week
Sweet. Looking forward to your impression.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 07:06 PM   #64
hatepotholez
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_tofu View Post
6/27 Added additional pics with some notes. First things first, big thanks again to Alex, Matt, Tommy, and everyone else at Autocouture. They did an amazing job on my car and I couldn't be happier. Would not hesitate to recommend them. Definitely worth the drive up from Virginia.

Please be aware, I am coming from passive suspension, so the ride (from what I am told) was already a little more firm than sport for those that have adaptive. That being said, I actually enjoyed the firmness and I live and daily drive this car in DC, where we do not have the best of roads.

Install notes: For those that are looking for a dumped look or an aggressive drop, this is not the kit for you. I am almost at the lowest setting and the drop is pretty minimal, probably around 3/4" to 1". This is perfect for me, but if you want to be slammed look elsewhere. The rear, btw, is also approximately at a 1" drop. Also an important item to note, my kit was missing the front top nut. The install instructions said to re-use the stock nut, but it did not fit. Maybe since I had the first kit it was missing but went out to the hardware store and grabbed another nut so the install went on without incident. But for those of you that are getting the kit early I would check this. I attached a pic for reference.

Driving Impressions: Well I've only put 300ish miles on the suspension so far, and I need an alignment, so please take what I say with a grain of salt. So far the suspension feels great! All the usual things people say. There is noticeably less body roll and the car feels very well damped, stock the car felt more ... floaty? definitely not now, the car feels very planted almost like its being pushed into the ground. When I've installed coilovers on other cars, the ride was typically a bit more busy/jittery I am not getting those impressions now. I will be honest, the ride is firmer, maybe 10% more than stock but I'll play with adjustments a bit (I am on Ohlins recommended settings - can't remember what they are right now but will find out). On bumpy roads the ride is a bit more harsh, again I'll play with the settings a bit, but on smooth roads the ride is amazing and more comfortable than stock, I couldn't be happier. That's all I can think of for now. I'll put more miles on the system and update my thoughts.

6/25 Updated with pics. Super tired from driving but I'll update tomorrow. In short car feels very planted. Steering has changed too ... Almost heavier. Very happy so far.

I know there is skepticism on the Ohlin Kit actually being released and shipped so I thought I should let everyone know that I got mine today . I know, I know, its not true until you post a pic, but sadly, and even though I am an engineer, I do not know how to post pictures from my phone . I will however post some pics once I get home. Big thanks to Alex@AUTOcouture for making this happen. I'll be getting these put on this weekend and will report back.

Attachment 1448013

Any chance you've played with the adjustments? Curious how these ride on rough roads, which NYC are full of.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 09:29 PM   #65
slavearm
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Care to share why the TCKR plates didn't work with the Ohlins?
Wrong spring diameter. Ground control works.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 03:30 AM   #66
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Can I ask does the kit come with a module to cancel error codes if you've got EDC fitted?