Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

12-02-2018, 05:33 PM   #1
BMOEW
Lieutenant Colonel
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is AW

Vibrant resonator

I was wondering if anyone has replaced just the secondary cats with a resonator and catless downpipes. I had this setup on my 335is i know different car but it sounded great with no rasp what so ever and nice deep tone. Has anyone tried this if so what are your thoughts? Thank you
Attached Images

2011 335IS Alpine White|Coral Red|DCT|BuraQ E60 Tune|DCI|VRSF 3" DownPipes| ER ChargePipe w/ HKS SSQV BOV|VRSF 7" FMIC|RB PCV| BMS Oil Catch Can|NGK 5992|AQUAMIST HFS-4 w/Twin Methanol Tank|Custom Exhaust| ST Coilovers| and a METAL FOOT
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 05:40 PM   #2
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

Yes, many people have done this mod. Do a search for [Vibrator Swap] in the /Engine/Drivetrain/Exhaust/Bolt-ons/Tuning/ section.
Appreciate 1
BMOEW121.00
      12-02-2018, 06:10 PM   #3
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Vibrator swap eww.

All kidding aside, I think the more popular option with the F80 is replacing the entire midpipe. Although cutting off the secondaries and replacing them with vibrant resonators sound pretty good too. I have them on my 335iS and it’s ludicrous/hooligan when I get on it.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 06:12 PM   #4
BMOEW
Lieutenant Colonel
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Vibrator swap eww.

All kidding aside, I think the more popular option with the F80 is replacing the entire midpipe. Although cutting off the secondaries and replacing them with vibrant resonators sound pretty good too. I have them on my 335iS and it’s ludicrous/hooligan when I get on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Vibrator swap eww.

All kidding aside, I think the more popular option with the F80 is replacing the entire midpipe. Although cutting off the secondaries and replacing them with vibrant resonators sound pretty good too. I have them on my 335iS and it's ludicrous/hooligan when I get on it.
Thank you, yes I know people replace the whole midpipe but i do not want to remove the stock resonator because Ive heard a few and they are too raspy for my taste
2011 335IS Alpine White|Coral Red|DCT|BuraQ E60 Tune|DCI|VRSF 3" DownPipes| ER ChargePipe w/ HKS SSQV BOV|VRSF 7" FMIC|RB PCV| BMS Oil Catch Can|NGK 5992|AQUAMIST HFS-4 w/Twin Methanol Tank|Custom Exhaust| ST Coilovers| and a METAL FOOT
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 07:13 PM   #5
overlook637
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

I've got Magnaflows in my midpipe. No rasp, a slight increase in drone in the lower rpms over OEM. Slight increase in overall volume. Overall much better engine sound.

Probably the best bang for buck option is the 2nd Cat swap to resonators.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 07:15 PM   #6
BMOEW
Lieutenant Colonel
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlook637 View Post
I've got Magnaflows in my midpipe. No rasp, a slight increase in drone in the lower rpms over OEM. Slight increase in overall volume. Overall much better engine sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlook637 View Post

Whats the diameter on the stock zcp exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 07:18 PM   #7
overlook637
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

2.5" magnaflow 14156 is the part number. If I remember correctly.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 10:29 AM   #8
MannyM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2, 2001 Honda S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOEW View Post
I was wondering if anyone has replaced just the secondary cats with a resonator and catless downpipes. I had this setup on my 335is i know different car but it sounded great with no rasp what so ever and nice deep tone. Has anyone tried this if so what are your thoughts? Thank you
I did exactly what you are referring to(catless downpipes and secondary cats replaced with resonators) and am happy with the sound, but the smell can be annoying at times. It deepened the sound and reduced rasp as you mentioned.
Here are some poor quality iphone videos. Sounds much better in person and I've also reduced the burbles since these vids were taken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As08iPEM1fk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b40k3j0iJHk
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 12:04 AM   #9
BMOEW
Lieutenant Colonel
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyM5 View Post
Quote:
I did exactly what you are referring to(catless downpipes and secondary cats replaced with resonators) and am happy with the sound, but the smell can be annoying at times. It deepened the sound and reduced rasp as you mentioned.
Here are some poor quality iphone videos. Sounds much better in person and I've also reduced the burbles since these vids were taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyM5 View Post
Quote:

Oh man perfect, i can deal with the smell but I want to install a tune with some downpipes and do this with a zcp exhaust. Do you have a link or a part number to what part you got on your vehicle? Also did you keep the stock resonator on as well? Thank you
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 10:11 AM   #10
MannyM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Here are the resonators I used. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jones-Exhaust-Turbine-Muffler-Resonator-304-Stainless-Steel-2-5/201376341018?epid=500915497&hash=item2ee2f71c1a:g: WvkAAOSwAvpbx2Np:sc:USPSPriority!11743!US!-1:rk:2f:0
They were a tight fit given the length, but we were able to make it work. I know many are using magnaflow resonators which are a bit smaller. Both will give you similar results.
Yes, I did keep the stock resonator in as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 11:43 AM   #11
Dr._Who
Banned
Rep
Drives: Tardis

Hey,

Excellent price!

Have you got any photos of how you made it fit?

14" seems pretty long for that section of the mid-pipe.

Cheers!

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 11:55 AM   #12
MannyM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr._Who View Post
Hey,

Excellent price!

Have you got any photos of how you made it fit?

14" seems pretty long for that section of the mid-pipe.

Cheers!

This is the only photo I took at the time. It was tight but it worked. Note, in this photo the midpipe is still disconnected from the downpipes which is why it looks like it is hanging low.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Dr._Who124.50
      01-15-2019, 12:45 PM   #13
Dr._Who
Banned
Rep

Hey,

Thanks!

I don't plan on removing my stock downpipes.

The car has enough power and more can be had without necessarily removing the primary Cat's.
Plus, I don't want to deal with the stench.

I plan on changing the following:

* Secondary's and replacing with these "JR25's" (Great price - Better to be had @ Summit!)

* The stock Resonator (reduced H-pipe) box and replacing (Summit) with a 2.5" X-pipe.

I don't see the center brace. Was it removed? Permanently - and/or reattached later?

Cheers!

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 02:37 PM   #14
MannyM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr._Who View Post
Hey,

Thanks!

I don't plan on removing my stock downpipes.

The car has enough power and more can be had without necessarily removing the primary Cat's.
Plus, I don't want to deal with the stench.

I plan on changing the following:

* Secondary's and replacing with these "JR25's" (Great price - Better to be had @ Summit!)

* The stock Resonator (reduced H-pipe) box and replacing (Summit) with a 2.5" X-pipe.

I don't see the center brace. Was it removed? Permanently - and/or reattached later?

Cheers!

That sounds like a good plan to increase the stock sound and sound quality for not too much money. Your other option a step up in budget is to go with the very popular Active autowerke midpipe which can be found used in the $700-$800 range or new around $1k.

The center brace on my car was reattached once everything was bolted back up. Good luck with your mods. I believe a few other guys on the forum have gone with a very similar setup.
Appreciate 1
Dr._Who124.50
      01-15-2019, 04:14 PM   #15
Dr._Who
Banned
Rep

Hey,

Yeah.

After discovering similar mid-pipe options, I cannot see the cheap basterd in me shelling out (+4x) for
a premanufactured ("AA") mid-pipe.

More so, now since they've been in use a while, that I've seen complaints starting to be posted about
them.

I plan on re-doing the whole mid-pipe in 2.5" S.S. tubing with flanges in place on all the cuts, in order
to make it reversible.

Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 12:46 PM   #16
ssgm1x
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i & 2018 M3

This is probably the best sounding F80 i have heard so far with a Catless DP.
I have an F80 Stock with MPE and Im thinking of putting Vibrant resonators in place of my secondary Cats to free up some flow and deepen exhaust sound a little.