proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

12-13-2018, 08:31 AM   #1
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M340i

Tesla Model 3 Performance breaks Laguna Seca production EV record again

https://electrek.co/2018/12/12/tesla...ion-ev-record/

Love how they HAD to bang on M3's...discuss!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 10:28 AM   #2
six-n-twins53
Amateur Tattoo Artist
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 zcp

I dont care if it runs a 9 second quarter and circles the ring in 4 minutes. Not on my menu. Ever.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 10:31 AM   #3
guess2098
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Taycan GTS, 2018 M4, 2016

Oh woow it's fast, and UGLY!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 11:28 AM   #4
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Why would an enthusiast ever give up the beautiful sounds of an ICE for this ugly box? Yes, even an S55.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 02:03 PM   #5
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M340i

One thing the electric crowd will never talk about when it comes to tracking is endurance. Any model 3 could *maybe* do 4-5 laps at speed before pretty much exhausting it's battery pack or overheating it.

There was a model S at COTA a couple events ago and it made about 4 laps before it started to overheat the battery packs and had to come in. Didn't make it out again that day...nice $1K in track fees (COTA ain't cheap if you're not instructing) down the drain for that chap, $250 a lap is a bargain /s
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 04:31 PM   #6
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTrkJunkie View Post
One thing the electric crowd will never talk about when it comes to tracking is endurance. Any model 3 could *maybe* do 4-5 laps at speed before pretty much exhausting it's battery pack or overheating it.

There was a model S at COTA a couple events ago and it made about 4 laps before it started to overheat the battery packs and had to come in. Didn't make it out again that day...nice $1K in track fees (COTA ain't cheap if you're not instructing) down the drain for that chap, $250 a lap is a bargain /s
Hi, there's a difference in battery chemistry between model s and x vs 3.

I have personally taken my model 3 performance to Sonoma and was able to complete the 4x20min sessions I purchased. The stock PS4S tires gave out first and limited my session. There was indeed lesser power towards the end but not as bad as my old n54/n55 cars when in limp mode.

Tesla engineers have told owners to expect 3% reduction in lap times as battery gets warm.

I did need to use a Tesla DC fast charger during lunch break to have enough for the afternoon sessions because the onsite L2 chargers were only 4kwh. Had it been 7-10kwh chargers it would have been fine.

Honestly guys, I had as much fun as my old F80, which is still lesser than the fun in my spec Miata. Full competition cars are just more fun for me than street cars.

As I've said in the other thread, if you can only have 1 car, M3 (or other gas car of your choice) all the way. But if you can have commuter and a track car, it's worth considering an EV for the commuter.
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2018, 08:12 AM   #7
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTrkJunkie View Post

Hi, there's a difference in battery chemistry between model s and x vs 3.

I have personally taken my model 3 performance to Sonoma and was able to complete the 4x20min sessions I purchased. The stock PS4S tires gave out first and limited my session. There was indeed lesser power towards the end but not as bad as my old n54/n55 cars when in limp mode.

Tesla engineers have told owners to expect 3% reduction in lap times as battery gets warm.

I did need to use a Tesla DC fast charger during lunch break to have enough for the afternoon sessions because the onsite L2 chargers were only 4kwh. Had it been 7-10kwh chargers it would have been fine.

Honestly guys, I had as much fun as my old F80, which is still lesser than the fun in my spec Miata. Full competition cars are just more fun for me than street cars.

As I've said in the other thread, if you can only have 1 car, M3 (or other gas car of your choice) all the way. But if you can have commuter and a track car, it's worth considering an EV for the commuter.
Very interesting - the electric cars of 10+ years from now are going to perform on the track like we can't even imagine yet. I love my M3 and previous cars before it - but wow - this goes to show ICE-powered cars will not be able to compete (performance wise and hopefully fun-wise barring sound) in the not-to-distant future
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 12:37 PM   #8
cca101
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

So what they are saying is , a modded Tesla 3 performance is lapping 2 seconds slower than a completely stock 2014 M4 non competition. But this is Electrek of course, after reading a few articles on their site we clearly see what they're all about.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 01:10 PM   #9
Franco3000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP MT

I just can't get over the Drive-Through style screen in the Tesla 3. The S is an elegant model, the 3 is a bit more froggy/goofy looking, I have not warmed up to it yet. Anyhow, props to Tesla for developing amazing cars. BMW has been at it since the early 1900's, Tesla just came out of the gate and for such a short period of time, their cars are impressive.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 02:11 PM   #10
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cca101 View Post
So what they are saying is , a modded Tesla 3 performance is lapping 2 seconds slower than a completely stock 2014 M4 non competition. But this is Electrek of course, after reading a few articles on their site we clearly see what they're all about.
LOL. Show me a "stock 2014 M4 non competition" driven by an amateur lapping anywhere close to that. For a better comparison, here's a modded M4 Competition going slower than the Tesla:

Sure...Randy Pobst, one of the fastest drivers in the world around Laguna, went 1.6 seconds faster. Cool. But at a typical public trackday at Laguna, 1:41 is very respectable.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 02:25 PM   #11
cca101
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
LOL. Show me a "stock 2014 M4 non competition" driven by an amateur lapping anywhere close to that. For a better comparison, here's a modded M4 Competition going slower than the Tesla:

Sure...Randy Pobst, one of the fastest drivers in the world around Laguna, went 1.6 seconds faster. Cool. But at a typical public trackday at Laguna, 1:41 is very respectable.
I know these things man. I was just playing devil's advocate a little bit you know since Electrek likes to omit many facts, I was just throwing one out there for a little fun. Like this little quote "even managed to beat track prepped M3s"....what does that mean? Is he a better driver? maybe, maybe not...probably. But ultimately what it means is the Tesla fans getting wet just seeing those words
And of course 1:41 is very fast, 99% of drivers couldn't pull this off.
Appreciate 2
FC42644.00
FaRKle!3994.50
      12-14-2018, 03:51 PM   #12
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I know these things man. I was just playing devil's advocate a little bit you know since Electrek likes to omit many facts, I was just throwing one out there for a little fun. Like this little quote "even managed to beat track prepped M3s"....what does that mean? Is he a better driver? maybe, maybe not...probably. But ultimately what it means is the Tesla fans getting wet just seeing those words
It's all about getting clicks, and ragging on M3 is a good way to get them. That's the thing about being the benchmark, right? Everyone is gunning for your back.

A lot of people getting into Model 3 are new to cars and a lot of people really into cars aren't giving EV a chance yet for whatever reason.

For me personally, I'm treating the fact that model 3 can hit the track as a bonus. Like if friends or family want to go track and I need another car to lend or if my track car is being serviced, or something.

Super cool tesla can track now. The next gen EV is going to be amazing (e.g. 700hp+ Porsche)
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 04:28 PM   #13
cca101
Private
Rep

Quote:
It's all about getting clicks, and ragging on M3 is a good way to get them. That's the thing about being the benchmark, right? Everyone is gunning for your back.

A lot of people getting into Model 3 are new to cars and a lot of people really into cars aren't giving EV a chance yet for whatever reason.

For me personally, I'm treating the fact that model 3 can hit the track as a bonus. Like if friends or family want to go track and I need another car to lend or if my track car is being serviced, or something.

Super cool tesla can track now. The next gen EV is going to be amazing (e.g. 700hp+ Porsche)
The best part is the fact that most of these people who claim to be EVs enthusiasts are quick to bring down any EVs announced by any company that isn't Tesla or "built" by Elon. Just like bashing the Audi E-tron GT's looks and interior deemed a step backwards compared to Teslas. It is not, it is far superior aesthetically and this is not subjective. If you think otherwise, you may have the wrong taste in women too. But we're just ICE fans gearheads who don't comprehend how awesome a giant screen in the middle really is
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 05:06 PM   #14
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
The best part is the fact that most of these people who claim to be EVs enthusiasts are quick to bring down any EVs announced by any company that isn't Tesla or "built" by Elon. Just like bashing the Audi E-tron GT's looks and interior deemed a step backwards compared to Teslas. It is not, it is far superior aesthetically and this is not subjective. If you think otherwise, you may have the wrong taste in women too. But we're just ICE fans gearheads who don't comprehend how awesome a giant screen in the middle really is
Yea, I think people get a bit too caught up in their favorite brands sometimes.

Ive observed a lot of ICE fans have a really visceral knee jerk reaction to EV and as a result miss out on a fun test drive. It's the same behavior of EV fans not being realistic about the limitations of their cars.

As an aside it was hilarious to see how much some stock steer tire c7z51 drivers were over driving their cars at Sonoma to keep ahead of my EV (open lapping run group with no timing equipment).

I don't put too much stock into it interiors, honestly. I commuted in a Chev Spark EV before Tesla and couldn't care less about the interior difference. They all aren't that great below the e63s level anyway. It's also not like my old cloth seats f80 was the most luxurious ride out there
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 05:46 PM   #15
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
And the pic of the "track prepped M3" was an E90, not F80.

In the spirit of Electrek:
My 328dx even managed to put down faster lap times over a Model 3 Performance (with latest track mode) at Thunderhill last month. There's even video showing it. =P

But of course what they don't want you to know is that just like an M3/M4, the Model 3 Performance won't make a driver look better than they are.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 04:41 AM   #16
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
And the pic of the "track prepped M3" was an E90, not F80.
From the article:
“It was faster than a number of track-prepared BMW M3’s, some of which came on a trailer and aren’t street vehicles."
This obviously indicates more than one.

I looked up the reg info from that specific trackday...there were a handful of E46 M3s, two E92 M3s, one E90 M3, two F80 M3s, and one F82 M4.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 10:00 AM   #17
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
From the article:
“It was faster than a number of track-prepared BMW M3’s, some of which came on a trailer and aren’t street vehicles."
This obviously indicates more than one.

I looked up the reg info from that specific trackday...there were a handful of E46 M3s, two E92 M3s, one E90 M3, two F80 M3s, and one F82 M4.
You've missed the point. Just like cca101's post about Electrek making sensationalist statements with no real substance, their pics are doing the same thing by not showing the latest M3/4. If they had specified "track prepped E46 M3's" nobody would've cared, because DUH, of course you should still be faster than a 15yr old car. So they're actually doing themselves a disservice by making that statement, and not showing a current gen M3/4. Do we know whether the F80/82's registered on that day were track prepped/non-street legal? Nope.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 10:34 AM   #18
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
You've missed the point. Just like cca101's post about Electrek making sensationalist statements with no real substance, their pics are doing the same thing by not showing the latest M3/4. If they had specified "track prepped E46 M3's" nobody would've cared, because DUH, of course you should still be faster than a 15yr old car. So they're actually doing themselves a disservice by making that statement, and not showing a current gen M3/4. Do we know whether the F80/82's registered on that day were track prepped/non-street legal? Nope.
I found the mod list of the model 3 on another site

Mountain Pass Performance AWD Sport coilovers
Mountain Pass Performance Arastradero camber arms
Maier Racing front and rear carbon spoilers
Custom brake pads, Castrol SRF fluid
Enkei 18 x 9.5" wheels
Hoosier A7 255mm DOT street-legal tires

Also found the stock time was 1:46.8

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/12/13/tesla-model-3-performance-laguna-seca-record-video/

Let's not get too triggered by the writer's hyperbole, and look in our own forum at other owners' LS times.

That EV time is right around the same ballpark of f8x with similar mods

Laguna Seca
1:37.10 Continental02 M4 zcp (slicks, BBK, AST5200)
1:38.756 scottn2retro M4 race car (Achilles slicks), driver David Alpan
1:41.029 redpriest M4 ZCP 6MT (Pirelli DH, ME20)
1:41.0 MayorAdamWest M2 (RE71R, DS1.11, KWCS)
1:41.35 Continental02 M4 ZCP (NT01, RS29, AST5200)
1:41.46 cntzl M4 zcp 6MT (NT01, PFC08)
1:41.85 YMB_M3 M3 6MT (NT01, Pagid, TC Kline)
1:42.98 cntzl M4 ZCP (NT01, RS29)
1:43.09 Flying Low M4 (R7, PFC11, GC)
1:45.7 CPWINCH M4 (TC Kline)
1:45.88 fanatic1 M4 (RE71,RS29)
1:47.xx jiujitsuforlife M4 (NT01,ME20,JRZ RS2)
1:49.27 clubsport M2 (RS29)
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 10:28 PM   #19
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I found the mod list of the model 3 on another site

Mountain Pass Performance AWD Sport coilovers
Mountain Pass Performance Arastradero camber arms
Maier Racing front and rear carbon spoilers
Custom brake pads, Castrol SRF fluid
Enkei 18 x 9.5" wheels
Hoosier A7 255mm DOT street-legal tires
I will note that these are absolutely standard modifications that you'd see on any car at a trackday. Very few enthusiasts will take their car to a track without similar changes.

If you considered the above as "highly modified", then you're in a different demographic.
Appreciate 0