proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

05-14-2016, 04:38 PM   #1
Karlj
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Fiat Multipla

Mineral Grey M4 DCT - First Impressions + Photos

Bit late in posting this due to initial teething issues with the car (BMW/Dealer not to blame!). Apologies if this is a bit long, I didn't have time to write a short one. Some of you have mentioned not test driving an M3/M4 before placing an order due to proximity to a dealership with an M to drive, so I've factored this into the below. Current M drivers may want skip a lot of this.

Background on the car & switch:
Over the winter I started to feel like the 330d just wasn't doing it for me anymore. Whilst the sheer grunt of the 3.0l diesel was great, the fall-off at the top end and lack of decent sound was making me long for petrol. When the auto cut-off on the diesel pump decided to take an unexpected holiday in the middle of my fill-up ruining my best pair of shoes, and covering me in diesel, I was sure a switch was required. I figured the logical step would be the new 340i. After a thorough test drive it was immediately apparent the new engine was a peach, but lacked the punch I so much enjoyed from the '30d. Back to the drawing board. Man-maths led in the direction of Porsche, but even with that I couldn't justify the expenditure. In the back of my mind was the 'M'. Surely an M-car would be silly fast though, and in no way usable in the real world? A test drive soon cured me of that illusion (except for the first bit- it really is silly fast). By this point I had drawn a nice round-numbered budget on the whiteboard, to ensure the search didn't take me higher than my pockets were deep. List prices weren't adding up, and I was preparing to abandon my search and stay put with the 330d... Then Tony Lewis decided to take his "Hammer of Obscene Discounts" to the M3/M4 and an order was swiftly placed.

Why the M4 over the M3? Simply because I prefer the looks, wanted a change from the saloon, and I never use the rear seats in the 330 anyway. Oh, and the long doors/windows make for much easier shoulder checks. I stuck with Mineral Grey, as without going Individual on the paint, and decimating aforementioned budget, I couldn't see another colour that would continue to float my boat. Full leather interior with carbon fibre trim. I'm too lazy to take proper care of light coloured leather, nor could the OCD side of me ignore any scuffs/marks that may appear. Black leather it is then.

Pick up:
Order placed 24th March, car handed over May 11th - Bloody pleased with that. Hand over with Tony was a real pleasure, got through the complex paperwork at lightning speed to swiftly move onto the important bit: the car. Walked over to the bay where it had been freshly detailed to a superb level by "The Matt Finish". After a look at the controls, shook hands with Tony and parted ways- from the driver's seat of a stunningly shiny M4. Shortly after this, I managed to find a nice patch of nails to run over, and ruin a brand new MPSS tyre.

From the 330d to the M4:
Rather than write a 'standalone' review of the car (which would no doubt be of horrific quality compared to those already available), I think it'd be of more interest and use to describe the process of moving from an F30, to an F8X.

Firstly, the seats. Different league of comfort and support. So many buttons to play with and adjust- the whole drive home was spent making minor adjustments to buttons and toggle switches. Definitely don't miss the 'hippohide' either. The interior in whole is a nicer place to sit compared to the F30- especially with the leather glareshield. Having driven an M4 without it, I really see 'full leather' as a foundation attribute to the car, and not to be missed out on.

The biggest change to the drive was without a doubt the throttle. In the 30d you'd inch off the brake and be a mile up the road without touching the accelerator; in the M it won't start moving until you start applying throttle. However, after a few hundred miles of driving today I've found it best to consider it sort of a clutch/throttle hybrid pedal, unlike in our lovely torque-converter autos that can make even the clumsiest of pedal applications seem sleek. When the gearbox is cold it definitely behaves differently, I find a lot more throttle is required to provoke the clutch to kick in and get the car moving off.

The steering inevitably feels very different, in the lightest mode, 'comfort', it is much heavier than even 'sport+' in the 330. The steering feel is good though, and overall I prefer it to the F30. Although I just wish there was maybe a slightly lighter mode for mile-munching with one arm- I mean, with both hands at the quarter-to-three position.

Cornering is when the real 'M' personality comes out to play. Turn-in is nothing like the F30s I've driven, the mid-corner stability constantly blows my mind. My eyes are telling me its about to let go and I'm now booked to make an unintended visit to that poor lady's front garden, but my buttocks are saying the chassis is only just getting started. I'm sure there are limits somewhere, I just haven't found them yet- nor am I going to push to find them for a little while.

When people said it was loud at start-up I didn't think it could be that bad- certainly, having a plan of sorts to avoid annoying the neighbours when leaving the driveway early in the morning seemed a bit much. However after being unable to resist driving at every opportunity, including very early in the morning, I now reverse the car into position for a JATO exit when the car is next in use. Yes, it is a bit loud, be prepared diesel drivers!

That's it for now, I'm sure there's some major bits I'm forgetting but that's my experience so far. As always, take my opinion with a heaped spoonful of salt; I don't claim to be an amazing driver or the most observant person in the world- so my views above will likely be affected by that.

Oh, and here's some pictures.

Last edited by Karlj; 05-14-2016 at 04:52 PM..
Appreciate 5
      05-14-2016, 04:45 PM   #2
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: AMG C63s Coupe & F56 JCW

Looks fantastic , congrats
Great pics enjoy
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 04:51 PM   #3
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E350 Cpe

Looks fantastic, love the colour!!!

Great write up
      05-14-2016, 05:15 PM   #4
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Fantastic write up Karl and the car looks stunning!!!

Couple of things ........
I weren't sure if you were getting the CP or not, any reason why you didn't go for it? Although it is nice to see the standard wheels.

I'm a bit concerned about what you saying about the steering being heavier than Sport on the F30. I find Sport in mine actually makes my shoulders ache for some reason, so was looking forward to the M3 and the fact it can be left in Comfort whilst you play with other settings. I'll have to see how I get on with it.......

But glad you are enjoying your car after the initial hiccup.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2016, 05:21 PM   #5
F80Dreamer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Great looking car, enjoy!
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2016, 05:25 PM   #6
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: C63s - S205 - Brilliant Blue

thanks for that. thus difference in the way the car behaves compared to the normal auto has got me a little concerned. well not concerned but intrigued.

think I need to find a test drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 05:28 PM   #7
Karlj
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Fantastic write up Karl and the car looks stunning!!!

Couple of things ........
I weren't sure if you were getting the CP or not, any reason why you didn't go for it? Although it is nice to see the standard wheels.

I'm a bit concerned about what you saying about the steering being heavier than Sport on the F30. I find Sport in mine actually makes my shoulders ache for some reason, so was looking forward to the M3 and the fact it can be left in Comfort whilst you play with other settings. I'll have to see how I get on with it.......

But glad you are enjoying your car after the initial hiccup.

I know a lot say the CP is a no-brainer, but for my needs I couldn't justify it. I live a bit too close to civilisation to regularly push the chassis that hard on localish roads, so the modifications to the dampers and suspension setup didn't really interest me (the speeds/roads I regularly find myself on the 330d actually held up reasonably well bar the wallowing). The 17bhp is unlikely to be noticeable, and if I needed more power it'd be cheaper and more effective to remap or go with the ACS box. The wheels were originally a sticking point, but I really quite like them now. And lastly the exhaust- I've never been too fond of overly loud cars (one of the reasons I didn't even consider the F-type)- especially with the hours I usually end up driving at! I can, however, completely understand those who opted for it and their reasoning, I just wouldn't be able to use the CP to its fullest potential.

I'm getting used to the steering now, and honestly the only time I noticed it was a bit too heavy for my liking was cruising along the M25 this afternoon. When you're throwing it about it feels just right.
Appreciate 2
      05-14-2016, 05:31 PM   #8
Karlj
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajfoggy View Post
thanks for that. thus difference in the way the car behaves compared to the normal auto has got me a little concerned. well not concerned but intrigued.

think I need to find a test drive.
It is something I have no doubt could be tamed- just haven't driven it enough to get there yet. Similar to getting into a car with a 'tricky' clutch. At first its a real pain, but eventually the muscle-memory will build up and you don't even think about it.

Also, no idea if any of this has changed with the CP. I know they made quite a few changes to the firmware. gtsussex - how did you find the throttle on the CP?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 05:39 PM   #9
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlj View Post
It is something I have no doubt could be tamed- just haven't driven it enough to get there yet. Similar to getting into a car with a 'tricky' clutch. At first its a real pain, but eventually the muscle-memory will build up and you don't even think about it.

Also, no idea if any of this has changed with the CP. I know they made quite a few changes to the firmware. gtsussex - how did you find the throttle on the CP?
No different. You're only down the road so if you'd like to meet up to compare, more that happy to do so!
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 05:50 PM   #10
Karlj
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
No different. You're only down the road so if you'd like to meet up to compare, more that happy to do so!
Sounds good to me. Will get the run-in service out the way in the next week or two then I'll drop you a PM to see if we can arrange something. I'd also be quite interested to do back-to-back comparisons between the CP exhaust vs. standard.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 05:52 PM   #11
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlj View Post
Sounds good to me. Will get the run-in service out the way in the next week or two then I'll drop you a PM to see if we can arrange something. I'd also be quite interested to do back-to-back comparisons between the CP exhaust vs. standard.
No problem at all - mine is most definitely well run in now......
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 05:58 PM   #12
PeteRock
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: SO Comp Pack F80 M3

Hippohide made me laugh 😄

Mineral gray certainly looks very nice. I'm doing the same move next month. Will be certainly interesting moving from the 8 speed torque converter to the DCT
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2016, 06:16 PM   #13
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: RR sport SVR, Vent S, 650s spi

Congrats Karl. She's a beaut!
Gone - 2016 F80 CP, 2015 991 Turbo S, 2016 LCI M135i. 2015 F10 CP M5. 2015 X5, 2012 E92 CP M3. 2009 E92 335i
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2016, 01:20 AM   #14
rjwojcik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 VW Golf GTD

Best colour too
      05-15-2016, 03:44 AM   #15
CardinalZeus77
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.2 Carrera S

Garage List
Congrats! Looks fantastic
Sold: F80 M3 Black Sapphire/Sakhir Orange
Sold: E92 M3 Jerez Black/Fox Red Leather
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2016, 09:11 AM   #16
gatsojon
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP SSII/SS

Garage List
2017 BMW M4 CP  [10.00]
Really useful points there and I appreciate the comparison with the 330d . The 330d is not an easy car to follow and I still feel it's the sweet-spot of the 3 series.

Having borrowed an M4 CP for a few hours I agree the steering seems harder and I quickly set M2 button for comfort in steering and suspension (sport throttle). The DCT was obviously different from the lovely 8 speeder.
      05-15-2016, 09:19 AM   #17
Karlj
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Cheers all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatsojon View Post
Really useful points there and I appreciate the comparison with the 330d . The 330d is not an easy car to follow and I still feel it's the sweet-spot of the 3 series.

Having borrowed an M4 CP for a few hours I agree the steering seems harder and I quickly set M2 button for comfort in steering and suspension (sport throttle). The DCT was obviously different from the lovely 8 speeder.
You're quite right, the 330d is a tough one to follow. Without trading away the heaps of torque its difficult to find something usable daily that offers the same immediacy and comfort as the 3.0d F30s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwojcik View Post
Best colour too
I really can't wait to see what your M3 will look like in MG. Looking forward to pics!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 03:11 PM   #18
Mr-Gadget4
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: AY M4

Hi
Assume you had to have a new tyre
Did you manage to get the new one fitted without damage to the rim...??
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2016, 03:56 PM   #19
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Lovely car! Enjoy.

As for concerns raised on the thread about the steering I drove down to Essex this evening with everything in Sport+ and MDM it's fine I really like the firmness of the steering gives you something to work against.

Even with everything turned up to 11 this car can go long distances without issue.

I agree on the cornering, every time I see a corner or roundabout I think...great!
      05-15-2016, 04:24 PM   #20
Karlj
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Gadget4 View Post
Hi
Assume you had to have a new tyre
Did you manage to get the new one fitted without damage to the rim...??
Sort of...There was a lot of muck from the fitting process left on, which I expected, but a few scratches and scuffs that I had to polish out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Lovely car! Enjoy.

As for concerns raised on the thread about the steering I drove down to Essex this evening with everything in Sport+ and MDM it's fine I really like the firmness of the steering gives you something to work against.

Even with everything turned up to 11 this car can go long distances without issue.

I agree on the cornering, every time I see a corner or roundabout I think...great!
Indeed, this thing eats up the miles and the corners!
Appreciate 1