European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

04-22-2016, 01:29 AM   #133
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5essex
my CG gadget has turned up today, so I might have to sneak out and get it fitted...
Well I fitted mine yesterday and it's coming back off. I don't see it's necessary with the CP as I've realised that unlike the normal F80, the valves are opened fully for warm starts anyway and then aren't fully closed even in Efficient. THAT's why CP's sound deeper - it's not the exhaust. If you force open valves, you won't get pops and bangs as that only happens with Sport throttle mapping.

So for me there is nothing to be gained by it apart from full bore cold starts and I'm trying to keep the neighbours happy.

For non CP's it makes sense.
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 3
      04-22-2016, 04:24 AM   #134
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: RR sport SVR, Vent S, 650s spi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
Well I fitted mine yesterday and it's coming back off. I don't see it's necessary with the CP as I've realised that unlike the normal F80, the valves are opened fully for warm starts anyway and then aren't fully closed even in Efficient. THAT's why CP's sound deeper - it's not the exhaust. If you force open valves, you won't get pops and bangs as that only happens with Sport throttle mapping.

So for me there is nothing to be gained by it apart from full bore cold starts and I'm trying to keep the neighbours happy.

Interesting.... But you can run oem valve control even with the kit wired up can't you?
Gone - 2016 F80 CP, 2015 991 Turbo S, 2016 LCI M135i. 2015 F10 CP M5. 2015 X5, 2012 E92 CP M3. 2009 E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 04:49 AM   #135
Ade_7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5essex View Post
Interesting.... But you can run oem valve control even with the kit wired up can't you?
It depends how the kit was ordered.

They have three possible settings of which you can choose two (Open, closed, factory).

So you could have the default position as factory and the option as open for example depending on what you want the car to sound like most of the time.

I picked mine up with default open and then active to close them. So if i'm leaving early I just have to remember to close the valves before I start the car
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 06:42 AM   #136
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:

How are you getting on with the cold starts Guy? Upset any neighbours yet!!!?

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 06:43 AM   #137
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99
Quote:

How are you getting on with the cold starts Guy? Upset any neighbours yet!!!?
Nope. Got it down to tee. Start car, immediately into D, wait for click to select gear and off on very light throttle. In not much more than 5 secs I'm gone.
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 07:00 AM   #138
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Nope. Got it down to tee. Start car, immediately into D, wait for click to select gear and off on very light throttle. In not much more than 5 secs I'm gone.
Sounds like a plan.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 07:34 AM   #139
noway-85
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - YMB delivered 1/3/16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Sounds like a plan.
Ha, I sit there until the revs have dropped to normal idle speed

Zero fucks given, my neighbour has a complete dickhead of a son that often keeps most of the street up with his antics, so whenever he's been up until the early hours, it's always nice to cold start the car, then obviously jet wash, then get the bike out for good measure
Appreciate 2
      04-26-2016, 04:03 AM   #140
gatsojon
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP SSII/SS

Garage List
2017 BMW M4 CP  [10.00]
So, after 3 weeks, how is that Silverstone interior looking? I really like the way it lightens the interior and it works well with the CP seats in particular. I'm just a little worried about keeping it looking good. I've always had black leather previously.

Tell me what I want to hear

Last edited by gatsojon; 04-26-2016 at 04:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 04:08 AM   #141
Pierrot
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 16, X5 30d 13, Evo9 06

very beautiful example - congrats
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2016, 05:53 AM   #142
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatsojon View Post
So, after 3 weeks, how is that Silverstone interior looking? I really like the way it lightens the interior and it works well with the CP seats in particular. I'm just a little worried about keeping it looking good. I've always had black leather previously.

Tell me what I want to hear
Just picked mine up from detailers having had GTechniq L1, I1 and C6 applied inside. Apparently shouldn't get any marking. Had Crystal Serum and EXO on the outside and it's bonkers. Car got filthy last night. Just pressure washed and it all just dropped off.

Anyhoos, just get some leather guard for the seats/dash and you'll be fine.
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2016, 02:15 PM   #143
d4springer
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CP SS/SO

Quote:
Well what can I say… here it is!

What a handsome, aggressive, stylish sports saloon… minus the planned Carbon spoiler for now as this was damaged in transit to the dealer… 

I am so pleased with the front splitter painting in high gloss black, rather than carbon or matt black.

The Silverstone ii colour is very special and looks beautiful in the sunlight and seems to change from blue to silver depending on your angle and the Full Silverstone leather is gorgeous too and I'm so glad I chose it. those CP seats are seriously sexy and very comfortable. Perhaps no lumber support but I was never a fan of lower back arching support anyway. There isn’t a lot of padding on the bum of the seat, so not sure how it will fare on a long journey, but certainly more comfortable that I thought they would be. They hug you perfectly on the love handles and below the shoulder blades. The head rest is a perfect angle too. I'm 6’2 and about 15 st. and they feel like they are made bespoke for me…

It really does feel like a special place to be. More up-to-date than the M5 and personable. Leagues ahead from the M135 in terms of build quality, better materials and less road/tyre noise.

The wheels are way better in the metal than any promo picture or review pic gives them credit for. Initially I would have liked an option for darker/gun metal colouring, but they work for me, for now. In fact, I’d say this morning I am sold on them and now love them. So many compliments of the car in general and especially the wheels.

The exhaust sounds is deeper than stock, but not the bark or growl of MPE. I have been told the sound will deepen and improve over time. There are not the pops and bangs yet like I had on the MPE from the M135, but at WOT the sound is great. I still might get MPE in the future.

The ride is comfortable. Certainly not as harsh as the M5 CP I had and I can’t really notice it being much different to non-CP M3. I’d say in comfort mode it is very smooth and well… ‘comfortable’ and even in Sp+ it is not bone shaking or teeth crunchingly harsh, like other cars I have had.

It feels so light and agile it’s untrue. Much like the M135 I have traded it for. As I haven’t really pushed it yet so is hard to tell if it feels quicker than non-CP. Right now it feels no different at all from the one I test drove a month ago. and that felt perfect!

Steering is so precise and you get great feel from the road. Even in the wet I pushed it home yesterday and felt total confidence in terms of traction and steering.

Throttle response is on the money and the DCT changes are super swift, much like PDK. So different from a Sports Auto box as in the M135. A little slower to react perhaps and mid-range pull feels similar at the moment. As the engine is new and so tight, I am assured it will loosen up and feel stonkingly quick after my 1200 miles service. The oil in it now is said to be abrasive and must come out by 1200 miles. The tech guy said, do not nanny the car in this period. Break it in properly and give it the beans!

Hope you like it. I certainly do

Cheers

Seemed to have missed this thread! Looks fantastic! So happy I went with SS! How's the wheel cleaning situation, are they a pita? (I'm a bit OCD on car cleaning and I'm dreading those alloys)
Older - E46 330i | Silver | AC Schnitzer, E36 328i Coupe | White
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 08:33 AM   #144
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4springer View Post
Seemed to have missed this thread! Looks fantastic! So happy I went with SS! How's the wheel cleaning situation, are they a pita? (I'm a bit OCD on car cleaning and I'm dreading those alloys)
thank you I love the colour too. its great the way it changes in different light and is quite good at hiding the dirt. I kind of wish I had gone for SMB now, having seen one in person. but then again, we cant all have SMB. they are going to be common as muck here soon. I can always wrap it!

i've only had the wheels cleaned once, by the Tesco guys, and they didn't seem to make a meal out of the wheels. and they came out brand new inside and out. I may give it a go myself this weekend and add a little personal TLC to the detail.
Gone - 2016 F80 CP, 2015 991 Turbo S, 2016 LCI M135i. 2015 F10 CP M5. 2015 X5, 2012 E92 CP M3. 2009 E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 09:38 AM   #145
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
thank you I love the colour too. its great the way it changes in different light and is quite good at hiding the dirt. I kind of wish I had gone for SMB now, having seen one in person. but then again, we cant all have SMB. they are going to be common as muck here soon. I can always wrap it!

i've only had the wheels cleaned once, by the Tesco guys, and they didn't seem to make a meal out of the wheels. and they came out brand new inside and out. I may give it a go myself this weekend and add a little personal TLC to the detail.
Get yourself some of this.... It's what I've got on mine and dust and dirt just washes straight off.

http://gtechniq.com/products/auto/pe...5-wheel-armour

PS I LOVE your colour. One of each would be good!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 11:23 AM   #146
rjwojcik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 VW Golf GTD

Quote:
I've only had the wheels cleaned once, by the Tesco guys

Still love to know where they get all of their water from, I use gallons of the stuff when washing my pride and joys...

Last edited by rjwojcik; 04-29-2016 at 11:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 06:12 PM   #147
dunny247
dunny
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f80 m3 frozen black

Quote:
Originally Posted by noway-85 View Post
I pulled 146 and 147 as the guy in the previous post suggested.

I checked afterwards by following the usual process to open the valves before a cold start and couldn't hear them opening so it's definitely the correct fuses.

Let me know what the control unit is like to live with once it arrives if you dont mind
Just to add if you pull the fuses 146 147 and have park assist it disables park assist.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 06:28 PM   #148
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunny247 View Post
Just to add if you pull the fuses 146 147 and have park assist it disables park assist.
Oh does it!. Good to know. Tho I did neither as don't have park assist and didn't pull the fuses. Wonder why they work in tandem? My cg gadget is now fitted. It only makes very subtle differences round town and start up, but you do notice it when cruising in 7th on a motorway when you want the valve shut to minimise drone.i.e oem setting. With the valve open permanently you do notice low rpm drone, which I don't necessarily dislike, at cruising speeds... I do like a bit of growl at all speeds and revs so still not dismissing MPE in the future. Run in service scheduled for wed next week. Then I'm allowed to open the taps and MAY talk about an MPE... I've heard a few cp cars now with MPE and it does get me a little bit excited...
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 12:23 AM   #149
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Oh does it!. Good to know. Tho I did neither as don't have park assist and didn't pull the fuses. Wonder why they work in tandem? My cg gadget is now fitted. It only makes very subtle differences round town and start up, but you do notice it when cruising in 7th on a motorway when you want the valve shut to minimise drone.i.e oem setting. With the valve open permanently you do notice low rpm drone, which I don't necessarily dislike, at cruising speeds... I do like a bit of growl at all speeds and revs so still not dismissing MPE in the future. Run in service scheduled for wed next week. Then I'm allowed to open the taps and MAY talk about an MPE... I've heard a few cp cars now with MPE and it does get me a little bit excited...
I've yet to hear a CP car with MPE yet. Think my neighbour would love that. Already not a fan on my new toy with standard exhaust!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 02:44 AM   #150
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
I've yet to hear a CP car with MPE yet. Think my neighbour would love that. Already not a fan on my new toy with standard exhaust!!!
I've only heard clips of cp MPE and that's enough
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 03:28 PM   #151
JacksoB
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 in Mineral Grey

Garage List
2016 F83  [0.00]
2014 Discovery HSE Lux  [0.00]
My neighbour has an E93 and even he has mentioned my 6am cold starts! Not ideal......as much as I like the idea I think an MPE would push them over the edge.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 06:09 AM   #152
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E350 Cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex
Quote:
Quote:
Can you not use the controller to close the flap on cold start?
      05-02-2016, 04:27 AM   #153
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc View Post
It is closed at cold start on oem setting. But i prefer to open them up on cold start
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 04:41 AM   #154
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E350 Cpe

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc View Post
It is closed at cold start on oem setting. But i prefer to open them up on cold start
So why is it so loud on startup?