Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

07-29-2018, 04:59 AM   #1
black67
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4

Speed Limit Display Function

Hi,

The owner's manual for my late 2017 M4 mentions a function for showing the current speed limit in the head-up display. However I cannot find anyway to enable this here or in the instrument cluster menu. The manual suggests that this is a standard feature but it looks to me like it must be a factory option.

Does anyone out there know?

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 06:18 AM   #2
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

In the U.S. HUD is part of the Executive Package - not sure how it works in the U.K. To see speed limit in the display, you need to set the HUD to the standard view, not the M view, which you can toggle between in an iDrive menu.
      07-29-2018, 06:57 AM   #3
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
In the U.S. HUD is part of the Executive Package - not sure how it works in the U.K. To see speed limit in the display, you need to set the HUD to the standard view, not the M view, which you can toggle between in an iDrive menu.
I see the speed limit in the HUD in M view - however I think it requires the Driver Assistance package to obtain the speed limit feature.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410954.50
      07-29-2018, 07:09 AM   #4
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
I see the speed limit in the HUD in M view - however I think it requires the Driver Assistance package to obtain the speed limit feature.
Ok then I stand corrected on that point. I’ll check it again tomorrow when I hit the road.
      07-29-2018, 07:43 AM   #5
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

I turned this function off. Don't need the constant reminder that I am speeding
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 08:26 AM   #6
sandjam
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016

You have to enable it in the Settings/Instrument Cluster Menu in iDrive. Speed Limit Info must be checked. It will show in both the HUD and in the center of the instrument cluster when enabled, but it is set in that menu, not the HUD menu.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 05:50 PM   #7
backagain
just a fool
China
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO coded M3

The front camera reads the speed signs on the side of the road, then posts it on HUD/dash. So your car will need to be equipped with the camera in the 1st place.
Appreciate 1
j2dad5389372.00
      11-08-2019, 01:01 PM   #8
j2dad5389
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

No freaking way. Is that how it actually works? I was wondering how it knows the speed limit on roads. I don't believe it.
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2019, 01:11 PM   #9
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
Yeah its not, dont know if he is joking. Speed limits are built into the maps/nav.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2dad5389 View Post
No freaking way. Is that how it actually works? I was wondering how it knows the speed limit on roads. I don't believe it.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 01:14 PM   #10
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagekko View Post
Yeah its not, dont know if he is joking. Speed limits are built into the maps/nav.
Incorrect, speed limit info uses the front camera if equipped. I believe it's possible to get speed limit info without the front camera in a certain options configuration, in that case it pulls from the nav.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 05:17 PM   #11
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by backagain View Post
The front camera reads the speed signs on the side of the road, then posts it on HUD/dash. So your car will need to be equipped with the camera in the 1st place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2dad5389 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagekko View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
Incorrect, speed limit info uses the front camera if equipped. I believe it's possible to get speed limit info without the front camera in a certain options configuration, in that case it pulls from the nav.
On my 2016 M4, the ZEC Executive Package included the 610 Head-up Display. However, you also have to have the ZDB Driver Assistance Plus Package to get the 8TH Speed Limit Info. This option is what gets you the front camera, as it also includes 5AS Active Driving Assistant which includes includes Lane Departure Warning, Forward Collision Warning, Pedestrian Warning, and City Collision Mitigation, some of which also require the front camera. ZDB Driver Assistance Plus Package also required ZEC. Reference for this info is my Monroney sticker and the BMW 2016 M3 M4 F80/F82/F83 Pricing Guide, which is available here on Bimmerpost.

It has long been known here on Bimmerpost that the 8TH Speed Limit Info is based on the front camera reading speed limit signs and I'm sure that this information is buried in some BMW Technical Document, most likely also available here on Bimmerpost. It may also get speed limit data from the nav, but here's why I think it doesn't.

First of all, at least on the 2016 models, you have to have the Executive Package and the Driver Assistance Plus Package. All F80/F82/F83 BMWs have nav, but not all of them have this package combo and you have to have the package that includes the front camera to get speed limit info.

Secondly, having this option and using it for the last 3-1/2 years, both in Europe during my Euro Delivery and also in multiple states in the US, the behavior is obviously based on a camera reading a speed limit sign. The speed limit display changes after passing a speed limit sign if the speed limit changes at that sign. Sure that could be done with nav (Waze does this), but if I see that a speed limit sign up ahead that changes the speed limit and a truck is in the way as I get closer and blocks the camera's view of the speed limit sign, the speed limit doesn't change. It also doesn't work as well in pouring rain, sometimes not being able to read the speed limit sign. Also, in construction areas, it will read the temporary speed limit signs that sometimes are on the left side of the car. Those temporary speed limits are not in the navigation. It also reads the speed limit signs in newly developed areas and those are probably not in the nav.

Finally, for the definitive answer, I refer you to this BMW video on how Speed Limit Info works:

And this one:

So, believe it or don't, Speed Limit Info works by reading speed limit signs with the front camera (if equipped).

Note that BMW has changed packages and options and the names of some of those packages and options, as well as the version of iDrive/Navigation in nearly every model year, and many things that were optional are now standard, so you can't necessarily compare model years as to what was standard and what was optional, or how navigation options work.

Last edited by SD ///M4; 11-08-2019 at 06:05 PM..
Appreciate 1
CanAutM321115.00
      11-08-2019, 06:43 PM   #12
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

The easiest way to "tell" that the car uses the front camera is that it will change once you pass temporary construction zone speed limit signs. The front camera is remarkably accurate.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 12:44 AM   #13
backagain
just a fool
China
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO coded M3

The technology that enables this is called CNN (no, not that TV channel) based, machine learned visual computing. We've used the same technology to force cars to a stop after the machine learned about stop signs. Pretty cool, isn't it?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 09:23 PM   #14
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
The easiest way to "tell" that the car uses the front camera is that it will change once you pass temporary construction zone speed limit signs. The front camera is remarkably accurate.
Or put tape on your windshield to cover up the camera and see if it still works.

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 01:28 PM   #15
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X7 40i

It actually uses both NAV and front camera. If it sees a speed limit sign, it takes that value but if you turn or drive to an area where the NAV has a different limit but it does not see a sign, the NAV limit takes over.

My speed limit changes from 30mph to 45mph going north on Hwy 99 in Seattle after West Seattle bridge but before the new tunnel as there is a speed limit sign. As I go into the tunnel, it changes to 20mph because the tunnel goes under the city and that's the speed limit in the city but there was no new speed limit sign. Inside the tunnel there are variable speed limit signs but the camera doesn't look like it's been tuned to read that specific font/configuration. It just isn't as consistent as in Germany.

In Germany, it works a whole lot better given the standardization of signs everywhere. Whether it is a static sign on the side of the road, temporary speed limit signs in construction areas or overhead dynamic sign board (still uses the same font and color scheme as static sign), the speed limit display changes accordingly. When you exit the highways in Germany, not every exit has a new speed limit sign for the city road but the system is smart enough to know you're on city streets and uses the Nav speed limit info.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 08:09 PM   #16
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
On my 2016 M4, the ZEC Executive Package included the 610 Head-up Display. However, you also have to have the ZDB Driver Assistance Plus Package to get the 8TH Speed Limit Info. This option is what gets you the front camera, as it also includes 5AS Active Driving Assistant which includes includes Lane Departure Warning, Forward Collision Warning, Pedestrian Warning, and City Collision Mitigation, some of which also require the front camera. ZDB Driver Assistance Plus Package also required ZEC. Reference for this info is my Monroney sticker and the BMW 2016 M3 M4 F80/F82/F83 Pricing Guide, which is available here on Bimmerpost.

It has long been known here on Bimmerpost that the 8TH Speed Limit Info is based on the front camera reading speed limit signs and I'm sure that this information is buried in some BMW Technical Document, most likely also available here on Bimmerpost. It may also get speed limit data from the nav, but here's why I think it doesn't.

First of all, at least on the 2016 models, you have to have the Executive Package and the Driver Assistance Plus Package. All F80/F82/F83 BMWs have nav, but not all of them have this package combo and you have to have the package that includes the front camera to get speed limit info.

Secondly, having this option and using it for the last 3-1/2 years, both in Europe during my Euro Delivery and also in multiple states in the US, the behavior is obviously based on a camera reading a speed limit sign. The speed limit display changes after passing a speed limit sign if the speed limit changes at that sign. Sure that could be done with nav (Waze does this), but if I see that a speed limit sign up ahead that changes the speed limit and a truck is in the way as I get closer and blocks the camera's view of the speed limit sign, the speed limit doesn't change. It also doesn't work as well in pouring rain, sometimes not being able to read the speed limit sign. Also, in construction areas, it will read the temporary speed limit signs that sometimes are on the left side of the car. Those temporary speed limits are not in the navigation. It also reads the speed limit signs in newly developed areas and those are probably not in the nav.

Finally, for the definitive answer, I refer you to this BMW video on how Speed Limit Info works:

And this one:

So, believe it or don't, Speed Limit Info works by reading speed limit signs with the front camera (if equipped).

Note that BMW has changed packages and options and the names of some of those packages and options, as well as the version of iDrive/Navigation in nearly every model year, and many things that were optional are now standard, so you can't necessarily compare model years as to what was standard and what was optional, or how navigation options work.
As a tidbit, speed limit info is a standalone option in many countries. In Canada for example, it can be had for $350 and does not need to be paired with any other option or package.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0