Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

05-12-2016, 09:09 AM   #45
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiten View Post
Most common coding won't make these hiccups readily apparent so i wouldn't think much of it. More complex and difficult coding is when they appear.

I'm wondering where DMNC02 is also. Had been working on all this lighting stuff with him for a while, and he's gone MIA now that I finally cracked the F10 LED's once and for all.

The Walze also handles part of VLD by changing the shape of the beam. The stepper motors then position the beam to the determined position for the active distribution shape. Not all Walze support GFHB. RoW Xenons with VLD have been using a Walze since the E39.
I know he just disappeared, maybe I'll shoot him a PM, i hope he's fine ! and thanks for the info/explanation. BTW, are you also miami10 from BF ?
Yup that's me. Gave up with all the PM issues and the overall disarray with the lighting stuff over there for now. Was starting to get on my nerves.

In other news, DOT committed at the hearing to implement the proposed joint SAE/ECE Lighting Standards Reform of FMVSS 108. Regulation will be released early next year for MY2018/2019 vehicles. Amber rear turn signals and glare free high beams for all LOL
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 11:36 AM   #46
firedown31
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 AW M3

Quote:
In other news, DOT committed at the hearing to implement the proposed joint SAE/ECE Lighting Standards Reform of FMVSS 108. Regulation will be released early next year for MY2018/2019 vehicles. Amber rear turn signals and glare free high beams for all LOL
Whoa really? About damn time US.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 11:45 AM   #47
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedown31
Quote:
Whoa really? About damn time US.
Indeed and with no resistance from automakers. They actually pushed for this and the appropriations committee finally got around the partisan blockade, held the closed hearing last month and approved the decision to significantly revise a number of outdated DOT standards. The lighting reform will be tied to Crash Test Ratings will require almost all the updates be standard equipment to receive 5*
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2016, 03:18 PM   #48
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Ok but all this doesn't get me the "walze" on my Xenons but it's good that they are catching up to Europe finally.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 10:01 PM   #49
TheIceStormOf06
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 Sold

Wait....am I the only one that's hates Amber turn signals? Looks tacky. All red blends better. I'm for everything else though. Adaptive, laser and all....
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 06:41 AM   #50
firedown31
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 AW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIceStormOf06 View Post
Wait....am I the only one that's hates Amber turn signals? Looks tacky. All red blends better. I'm for everything else though. Adaptive, laser and all....
Obviously this will differ by car and manufacturer, but the euro LCI F80 tails are all red with an amber light used for the turn signal. Checkout this thread http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1154429 It's got a video of the lights in action and some great close up pics of the taillights. You would never know the turn signals lit up amber until they turned on. But will some cars cheap out and just use an amber cover? Yup.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 08:15 AM   #51
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIceStormOf06 View Post
Might be a cultural thing of what you're used to - I'm used to amber ones, and hate the all red here in the US, especially some of the older cars that share turn lights and brake lights as the same light.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 08:47 AM   #52
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
Might be a cultural thing of what you're used to - I'm used to amber ones, and hate the all red here in the US, especially some of the older cars that share turn lights and brake lights as the same light.
+1

I replaced my rear tail lights with Euro tail lights.

Red Turn Signals look horrible, and I have yet to understand why BMW AG uses Amber in every market except North America. It is not due to any regulation, as other manufactures, including domestic ones (e.g. Ford & GM) use Amber on some models.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 02:07 PM   #53
packetpilot
Banned
Rep
Drives: California Packet
Location: Left edge of browser window beneath 'join date' obvi

Quote:
Do you have a source? I'd love to read more about this. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 03:26 PM   #54
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisdave
Quote:
Do you have a source? I'd love to read more about this. Thanks!
It's still very early and not much info is available to the public. Tonight I'll post up some links to what has been released. Would love to share some of the info I have (I'm an accreted member and vested party), but this is Gov't information and leaking documents has serious consequences.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2016, 03:45 PM   #55
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
+1

I replaced my rear tail lights with Euro tail lights.

Red Turn Signals look horrible, and I have yet to understand why BMW AG uses Amber in every market except North America. It is not due to any regulation, as other manufactures, including domestic ones (e.g. Ford & GM) use Amber on some models.
True Amber LED's were extremely expensive until recently. The latest versions are cost effective, more compact, and have excellent operating temp color range without affecting intensity.

Since FMVSS rear lighting is (currently) based on size of illuminated area, not intensity, these LED's are not appropriate for use as only 1-2 diodes are needed. Even red LED's can be extremely bright and are too often used in large quantities on some vehicles leading to excessively bright tail lamps.

The F15/16 need the brake lamps in conjunction with the turn signal to meet the surface area requirement, while the F06/12/13 need the turn signals in conjunction with the brake lamps to meet it as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 06:17 AM   #56
andrew0159
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F01 750i

Error LED light curves

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
What did you do after you loaded it? Unless you VO Code ECU's with the modified FA Activated, you have not done anything.
I have a 7 Series F01 and I changed the H3 lamp lights Led curve.
My preguinta is what must be configured parámatro I guess in FRM to remove the warning lamp error.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 06:18 AM   #57
andrew0159
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F01 750i

I have a 7 Series F01 and I changed the H3 lamp lights Led curve.
My preguinta is what must be configured parámatro I guess in FRM to remove the warning lamp error.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 10:05 AM   #58
pondlake
Registered
Rep
Drives: F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
ok, here's my attempt to correlate the VLD parameters to their function based on reading the rheingold dov above and other threads. There are other parameters not related to speed that I didnt list here. Values in brackets are in kph (km/hr) unless noted otherwise.

Engine start
In switch position "A" (Light switch in the switch position for automatic driving lights control) and terminal 15 ON, both headlights execute a reference run. That means: Both swivel modules are moved down slightly and then to the desired position (visible when the vehicle is parked in front of a wall: The light cone moves down and then back up). The desired position depends on the load status of the vehicle. When the engine is started, the headlight driver module initially controls the city light distribution.

City light distribution
The city light distribution enables a broader illumination of the left roadway at low speeds. The left headlight is moved approx. 12° to the left and approx. 0.7° downwards. The city light distribution is activated from engine start to a driving speed of approx. 50 km/h.
Pertinent Params:
C_AFS_C_V_LO defaultwert = 28 (40)
Country road light distribution
The country road light distribution is the same as the standard low beam headlights. At a driving speed above approx. 50 km/h, the city light distribution is changed to the country road light distribution. Below a driving speed of approx. 50 km/h, the footwell module (FRM) changes the light distribution back to city. The country road light distribution represents the basic setting for the headlights.

Motorway light distribution
The motorway light distribution increases the range of the driving light. The left headlight is moved approx. 3.5° to the left and approx. 0.25° downwards. The right headlight is moved approx. 0.2° upward. If the vehicle speed exceeds 110 km/h for longer than 30 seconds, or if 140 km/h is exceeded, the footwell module switches on the motorway light distribution. If the vehicle speed drops below 110 km/h, the headlights are gradually reset, depending on the driving speed. This takes places in stages (110 km/h 100 km/h 90 km/h 80 km/h). The country road light distribution is activated again at 80 km/h and below.
Pertinent Params:
C_AFS_C_V_HI defaultwert = 8C (140)
C_AFS_E_V_LO defaultwert = 6E (110) (see timer below)
C_AFS_E1_V_LO defaultwert = 64 (100)
C_AFS_E2_V_LO defaultwert = 5A (90)
C_AFS_E3_V_LO defaultwert = 50 (80)

C_AFS_E_T_MIN defaultwert = 1E (30s)
Comment = Counter Minimum for LightDistribution E

Fog light distribution
The fog light distribution is activated when the fog lights are switched on. The fog light distribution can be combined with the city light distribution and the country road light distribution. The link headlight is moved approx. 8° to the left and approx. 0.7° downwards. If the high beam headlights are switched on while the fog light distribution is active, the headlight moves to the basic setting, i.e. to the country road light distribution.
Pertinent Params:
C_AFS_EX_FOG_ENA defaultwert = 01
Comment = Switch to enable or disable motorway light distribution while foglights are turned on (1 means motorway light distribution enabled).
There's this C_AFS_V_V_HI defaultwert = 2D (45) parameter that I still have to figure out and I assume that this for the Cornering Light off: C_AFS_C2_V_LO defaultwert = 46 (70) but unsure.
I stumbled over your post while trying to disable that stupid city light distribution. The left light was waay to much to the left and too low. Also the motorway distribution doesn't make much sense to me, since the left light also goes too much to the left and downwards (not as much, but still). I find the country road distribution just right for all speeds, so I increased the range to almost maximum.

C_AFS_C_V_LO set to 0 km/h -> this is the speed threshold when decelerating to switch to city distribution. Now it only goes to city dist when fully stopped.
C_AFS_V_V_HI set to 5 km/h -> this is the speed threshold when accelerating to switch to country road distribution. Now it changes to the nice country road dist right after starting. Don't set this to 0 also because when standing still the lights will keep switching between distributions. I left it to 5 km/h higher than the other one, just like default (40, 45).
Then I increased all the motorway distribution relevant thresholds by 100 km/h:
C_AFS_C_V_HI set to F0 (240 km/h)
C_AFS_E_V_LO set to D2 (210 km/h)
C_AFS_E1_V_LO set to C8 (200 km/h)
C_AFS_E2_V_LO set to BE (190 km/h)
C_AFS_E3_V_LO set to B4 (180 km/h)

Now I have the nice distribution all the time with adaptive headlights. I used Bimmercode on my F31. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 04:25 PM   #59
The_One
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHK View Post
I've seen lots of discussion about the anti-dazzle feature that can be coded for LED lights. Are there any similar options that can be coded for Xenon lights? I've seen discussion about Variable High Beam Assistant on other models, but not the latest M3/M4's.
I have seen a guy from F30 Forum did a retrofit of the Adaptive Xneon Headlights with Anti-Dazzling feature, the one that will open a "light tunnel"to avoid dazzling oncoming cars. However he mentioned something about US spec Xneon Headlights are missing one shutter from the Euro Spec Xneon lights.
I'm trying to figure out what exactly do I need to enable Both HBA and anti dazzling for my car.

My 440i M Performance has all the drivers assist so all the KAFAS and FLA cameras. My xneon headlights is also adaptive. But I'm not sure whether it can form a light tunnel. And I need to change the steering stalk too.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 05:04 PM   #60
sappersix
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pondlake View Post
I stumbled over your post while trying to disable that stupid city light distribution. The left light was waay to much to the left and too low. Also the motorway distribution doesn't make much sense to me, since the left light also goes too much to the left and downwards (not as much, but still). I find the country road distribution just right for all speeds, so I increased the range to almost maximum.

C_AFS_C_V_LO set to 0 km/h -> this is the speed threshold when decelerating to switch to city distribution. Now it only goes to city dist when fully stopped.
C_AFS_V_V_HI set to 5 km/h -> this is the speed threshold when accelerating to switch to country road distribution. Now it changes to the nice country road dist right after starting. Don't set this to 0 also because when standing still the lights will keep switching between distributions. I left it to 5 km/h higher than the other one, just like default (40, 45).
Then I increased all the motorway distribution relevant thresholds by 100 km/h:
C_AFS_C_V_HI set to F0 (240 km/h)
C_AFS_E_V_LO set to D2 (210 km/h)
C_AFS_E1_V_LO set to C8 (200 km/h)
C_AFS_E2_V_LO set to BE (190 km/h)
C_AFS_E3_V_LO set to B4 (180 km/h)

Now I have the nice distribution all the time with adaptive headlights. I used Bimmercode on my F31. Enjoy!
Based on aboulfad's analysis, country road distribution is the same as normal low beams.

You have activated VLD, but switch from city light distribution to country road distribution at 5 kph and don't switch to motorway distribution until you reach speeds that would not be practical for public roads (at least for me). So basically, you have normal low beams except when you are stopped, when they shift left and slightly down.

Umm... so why code VLD? Why didn't you just leave the normal low beams alone? I'm just curious.
      11-11-2020, 12:44 PM   #61
XuLeTZ
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d F31 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
yes, just like in my situation, as long as you have the Xenon S522A and Adaptive Headlights S524A. I just coded the above two parameters, but i cant tell in my garage if there's a difference, I guess i'd have to wait for the evening. here's a youtube vid of the action on a garage door.

As far as FDL coding instead of VO Coding FEM_BODY, i checked with TM's "FA_CAFD What-If" and for "8S4 Decoding Variable Light Distribution" it shows those same two params, so in theory it should work if we enable those two params respectively (F020_enable, F020_mit_AFS):
Output from FA-CAFD What-If:
FEM_01 > LaMaster1 3073 > C_AFS_ENA = F020_disable
FEM_01 > LaMaster1 3073 > LUT_FLC_FORWARDLIGHTING_Y = F020_ohne_AFS

Hi,

Sorry to open an old thread, can you do the same for 5AP ?
I retrofited adaptive xenons from halogen in Europe, but high beam assist is not staying on when somebody coming from ahead. Doesn`t do the anti-dazzle, thank you.
Appreciate 0