Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

09-17-2019, 12:29 PM   #199
backagain
just a fool
China
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO coded M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatJ View Post
Have people who have had this problem emerge first a long time ago already gotten some sort of a permanent fix performed on their cars? Such that the problem has been completely absent ever since. (This hasn't been totally self-evident in the previous posts.)

If so, what is it?

The suggested (and tried out) solutions on this thread seem to be:

- re-coding the remote to the "two button logic" (making the trunk opening button operational only when the car has been unlocked already) or adding delays

- disabling the comfort access "kick sensor" entirely

- utilizing the manual locking function in the glove box

- (something that I missed?)

Will soon have my dealer dig in deeper to the problem but up until now no evident fix to it. In the end, I'd love to retain the "kick sensor" feature too because it does become handy every now and then when, for instance, carrying groceries with both hands to the car.

Thanks to however is able to clarify the issue! (I will indeed share my solution as well later on if such is to be found by the dealer.)
As I've stated in the reply above, my trunk has not opened itself after the coding change. My theory is the added delay (not the two button fix) actually desensitizes the kick sensor as well, therefore addresses both the accidental press of the remote as well as objects getting blown through under the trunk.
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2019, 08:01 PM   #200
lesnica
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

happened to me at a jewel parking lot....for 5 minutes I looked like an idiot leaving my car and walking away and then coming back seconds later because my trunk kept opening.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 07:28 AM   #201
TheGreatJ
Finland
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition Sport LE, M2

I took the car to the dealer and the tester showed that there was a fault either with the lock or the opening handle of the trunk (or both). Go figure.

Logically this makes sense however, because sometimes when the problem has been occurring and I've been trying to close the trunk, I've noticed the lock has seemed like it has been already in the "locked" position and thus resisting to close.

Now the lock has been changed and I am monitoring the situation... So far so good.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 01:31 AM   #202
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatJ View Post
Here's one more car that recently started showing severe symptoms of this involuntary trunk opening disease (2017 M4 Competition Sport).

This thread has been going on for quite some while and despite so many of us sharing the same problem yet there doesn't seem to be a universally agreeable solution to it. (Unless I was unable to read in between the lines when going through this and other threads about the issue. A lot of unsolvable debate about whether people are pushing their buttons deliberately or not, though. )

My trunk is both occasionally randomly popping open on its own or either re-opening itself (along with a flash of lights) consecutively as one tries to close it.

Re-coding the remote won't solve the issue because, at least in my case, the accidental pressing of buttons has been undisputedly cleared out of the list of potential causes. Furthermore, I believe, the problem has more to do with the functioning of the "kick sensor" or the trunk latch mechanism which sometimes seems to be in a "closed" position as default when you try to close the trunk after involuntary opening.

Have people who have had this problem emerge first a long time ago already gotten some sort of a permanent fix performed on their cars? Such that the problem has been completely absent ever since. (This hasn't been totally self-evident in the previous posts.)

If so, what is it?

The suggested (and tried out) solutions on this thread seem to be:

- re-coding the remote to the "two button logic" (making the trunk opening button operational only when the car has been unlocked already) or adding delays

- disabling the comfort access "kick sensor" entirely

- utilizing the manual locking function in the glove box

- (something that I missed?)

Will soon have my dealer dig in deeper to the problem but up until now no evident fix to it. In the end, I'd love to retain the "kick sensor" feature too because it does become handy every now and then when, for instance, carrying groceries with both hands to the car.

Thanks to however is able to clarify the issue! (I will indeed share my solution as well later on if such is to be found by the dealer.)

I agree - definitely not accidentally pressing buttons in my pocket.

I tried to add a delay and it had zero effect. I have the CF splitter so my kick sensor doesn't work anyway. The dealer did the 2 step fix and maybe it happens less? At least I haven't had another $1200 worth of stuff stolen from my trunk because of it, but perhaps because I'm more vigilant now. The trunk does still occasionally to the repeat light flash popping open, which usually stops by the 2-3rd time I close it. So is it any better after trying a bunch of fixes? I think maybe only marginally.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 07:26 PM   #203
turbo v6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i N55, 230i

I used BimmerCode to disable the kick feature.
»Front Electronic Module« FEM_01, Expert Mode; CAM_SMART_OPENER = nicht_aktiv

Here is another post: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1726128
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 08:12 AM   #204
tomas3314
Rep
Drives: SC 95 M3, 17' M3

Add another one to the list. I thought it was only me, its happened to me too many times. It has happened at home with key fob on my desk and coming out of stores to find the trunk open. I have also experienced having to continuously close the trunk to have the lights flash and open again. I do have an aftermarket cf diffuser, 2017 M3 Comp.
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2020, 08:23 AM   #205
Keca10
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M3 ZCP / '20 X3 M40i

I used BimmerCode to turn the feature off once I installed a CF diffuser. It takes some modifications to make it work with CF anyway and it didn’t stay reliable.

I had a few instances too where it opened by itself. It’s frustrating. Luckily no rain or car wash damage happened. Much better with it simply off.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 12:26 AM   #206
sappersix
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
I'm another with this problem. BMW M Performance Carbon Diffuser.

Frankly, ever since I implemented the DIY to insulate my CF diffuser from the metal heat shield (granted, only two weeks ago), I haven't had this problem.

I just grabbed four rubber garden hose washers and placed one between the fastener and the diffuser and another between the diffuser and the metal sheet (on each side). Took less than five minutes. And I finally used the some of the washers from the ten-pack I bought when I needed one... haha.

My kick-to-open works 90% of the time. And I haven't had my trunk mysteriously open by itself since. Fingers crossed.
      04-10-2022, 02:17 PM   #207
nick_xd
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

Just bought a 2018 M3 Comp and the trunk has opened itself 4 times now in the 2 months I've had it. Initially I thought I was accidentally pressing the keyfob after walking away but realistically there's no way that's what's happening.

Has anyone successfully fixed this issue?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 06:16 AM   #208
rosemont83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911 turbo, E39 M5,

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_xd View Post
Just bought a 2018 M3 Comp and the trunk has opened itself 4 times now in the 2 months I've had it. Initially I thought I was accidentally pressing the keyfob after walking away but realistically there's no way that's what's happening.

Has anyone successfully fixed this issue?
Does your key have a leather or alcantara cover on it? And does it have an aftermarket diffuser?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 11:55 AM   #209
icebiker
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F83 6MT

My F83 had this issue. It was before I owned it (I am 2nd owner). But when I bought the car I insisted in getting the full service history, so was aware of it. Attached is a picture of the service record. I hope this helps
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 12:47 PM   #210
nick_xd
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemont83 View Post
Does your key have a leather or alcantara cover on it? And does it have an aftermarket diffuser?
No cover on the key, and no aftermarket diffuser (though I am about to install one myself).
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 12:48 PM   #211
nick_xd
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebiker View Post
My F83 had this issue. It was before I owned it (I am 2nd owner). But when I bought the car I insisted in getting the full service history, so was aware of it. Attached is a picture of the service record. I hope this helps
Super helpful! I'm going to take it to the dealership and show them that service record as a reference to see what they think. Thanks for posting that!
Appreciate 0