Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

12-15-2018, 01:09 PM   #45
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingLow78 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
����������������������������

Well I take back my earlier comment about the hardware.

Your driver's side is different in a few ways. Short one chipset and definitely different circuitry. PaulM sent me pics of his lights last night and both sides are mirror images of each other. This looks almost like it was ground down and redone.
Would you mind posting the photo PaulM sent you? Also curious what his headlight housing part number and the build date of his car are.

It also may be interesting to note that the left headlight seemed to work fine with GFHB coding. It was the right one that had all of the leakage in the forward regions.
Watching your video, the pass clearly isn't working properly with extreme glare. Drivers side appears to only go between full high beam, down to a flat (no spot rise elbow) 2800 lumen reduced intensity passing beam, then either goes up to the 3450lumen motorway beam and/or full HB depending on which frame I pause on.

Hopefully he doesn't mind...The factory installed headlights have different part numbers on the data sticker as they come pre-programmed and fully assembled. The actual part numbers are elsewhere on the back of the housing.

Its a late June build car with left headlight from 4.29.18 batch and right headlight from 5.28.18 batch.

First one is pass side, second is driver's side.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 03:34 PM   #46
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Few more weeks until they can give me one. Also would you mind emailing or messaging me some pics from your car? Would also like to look at the NCD's and possibly do a quick remote session if you have time since it's original CAN market and production date far enough after this was legalized there to potentially make things a little easier for US cars.
Quote:
On your car, if you look up into the headlight from below, are there 3 separate led chip sets for the lower half of the outer chamber on both headlamps?
Seems like the Canadian cars indeed have different hardware. This is from the driver's side outer projector on my 2019 M4cs July 2018 build. It seems to have the 3 LED emitters and the additional circuits like PaulM :
Attached Images

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 12-15-2018 at 03:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 04:09 PM   #47
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Stay tuned. It's looking to not be a headlamp hardware issue. Just don't get too hopeful (unless one is in Canada).
I did a little research and found out that Transport Canada has finally legalized variable light distribution headlamps since March 2018. It's about time but also refreshing to see they are more progressive than the US DOT, so I retract my earlier words.

I however wonder why BMW still decodes these functions on Canadian cars if they are now legal ??!? Do they need to be specifically certified?

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 12-16-2018 at 09:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 04:09 PM   #48
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW anymore

Quote:
Watching your video, the pass clearly isn't working properly with extreme glare. Drivers side appears to only go between full high beam, down to a flat (no spot rise elbow) 2800 lumen reduced intensity passing beam, then either goes up to the 3450lumen motorway beam and/or full HB depending on which frame I pause on.

Hopefully he doesn't mind...The factory installed headlights have different part numbers on the data sticker as they come pre-programmed and fully assembled. The actual part numbers are elsewhere on the back of the housing.

Its a late June build car with left headlight from 4.29.18 batch and right headlight from 5.28.18 batch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Seems like the Canadian cars indeed have different hardware. This is from the driver's side outer projector on my 2019 M4cs July 2018 build. It seems to have the 3 LED emitters and the additional circuits like PaulM :
If my reading of this thread is correct, both cars have working GFHB, right?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 05:35 PM   #49
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingLow78 View Post
If my reading of this thread is correct, both cars have working GFHB, right?
I coded mine and they seem to be working fine, however I am no expert at this. I'll try to do a video with my wife during the christmas vacation so I can post and get feedback here. I don't believe PaulM has his decoded/coded yet.

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 06:43 PM   #50
PaulM
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 440i xdrive

Quote:
I did a little research and found out that Transport Canada has finally legalized variable light distribution headlamps since March 2018. It's about time but also refreshing to see they are more progressive than the US DOT.

I however wonder why BMW still decodes these functions on Canadian cars if they are now legal ??!? Do they need to be specifically certified?
I was wondering the same thing. When I picked up the car, I asked the people at the dealership about whether or not Canadian cars will have the full anti-dazzle functionality recoded now that it's legal in Canada. They had absolutely no idea what I was talking about.

Quote:
I don't believe PaulM has his decoded/coded yet.
Mine isn't coded yet. Still waiting on ISTA+ download to finish so I can then try to send lemetier the data he needs.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 08:11 PM   #51
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Since Valeo is the supplier, I'd hesitate to label it a definitive hardware change. They're a "competitive" supplier and with that comes some occasional oddities. My Range Rover now has 2 different headlights after one was damaged during drivetrain replacement. The pass side is a hybrid US/RoW with empty holes instead of a fully sealed trim surround and a different size/configuration turn indicator.

If more members have the 2 chip drive side assembly, we can then put those on the not applicable list.

Quote:
I did a little research and found out that Transport Canada has finally legalized variable light distribution headlamps since March 2018. It's about time but also refreshing to see they are more progressive than the US DOT.

Trade Agreements are a wonderful thing on occasion. It's now the world and the US standards. Unfortunately there's some bureaucratic hurdles to address before BMWCA is fully up to speed. There's a PUmA/Parts Clearing notation for CAN headlights effective 21.03.18 and internally, the NA model codes changed starting with July SOP. Still sticking with the FMVSS/CMVSS Federalization for models ending production before 2020. The UN and SAE standards include retroactive certifications if the manufacturers choose to do so. That's why I really want to analyze files from recent CAN market cars.

Quote:
I coded mine and they seem to be working fine, however I am no expert at this. I'll try to do a video with my wife during the christmas vacation so I can post and get feedback here. I don't believe PaulM has his decoded/coded yet.
If you can GoPro it, try to stick it on the outside of the windshield, 20cm offset towards the passenger side, level with the KAFAS camera. That's the best place to avoid glare from oncoming traffic while maintaining the ability to see what your car is doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulM View Post
I was wondering the same thing. When I picked up the car, I asked the people at the dealership about whether or not Canadian cars will have the full anti-dazzle functionality recoded now that it's legal in Canada. They had absolutely no idea what I was talking about.

Mine isn't coded yet. Still waiting on ISTA+ download to finish so I can then try to send lemetier the data he needs.
And yet they already offer retrofit kits on their website for very cars. Fingers-crossed this will end up being easier than I anticipated. Just want to make sure everything is set as it should be, voltages are correct, and those locking plugs don't break the pivot position mounting point since it's in a really bad spot and very delicate.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 09:13 PM   #52
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp / 2022 X5 45e

Hi,

I have a 2018 ZCP M3 built in Aug 2018. I have the Adaptive LED headlights and I seem to have three chipsets on mine. Does this mean anti-dazzle will work?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 04:53 PM   #53
fernisatree
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 S4 Avant, F80 M3, F31 328d

Any update on this?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 04:42 PM   #54
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

I was curious too if there is any update...

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 07:33 PM   #55
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: Incoming G87

Had some time to check my car out and do some testing - Lemetier is right. Have a US 2018 with LCI LEDs coded for VLD and anti dazzle . My passenger light has 3 chipsets, driver side looks like 1, but definitely different than the other side.

They seemed to be working perfectly normal on mine because my car is coded such that the adaptive high beams don't turn on until 60 MPH and since that is usually highway for me the passenger high beam only goes on and lights up the side of the road while driver side stays on low beam. Below 60 MPH they just work as normal auto high beams. Messed with those speed settings a bit for when adaptive highs kick on and the tunnel clearly not working as it should be and it is the drivers side light that isn't "moving" much compared to passenger side. Definitely glaring the back of other cars. Passenger side works fine though. May try and just code it leaving drivers side "normal".

In any event I only find the feature helpful at higher speeds anyway, in my '15 I think I was the one more dazzled by the anti dazzle lights than they were helpful.

Read...no drive, the manual.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 08:06 PM   #56
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhk118 View Post
Had some time to check my car out and do some testing - Lemetier is right. Have a US 2018 with LCI LEDs coded for VLD and anti dazzle . My passenger light has 3 chipsets, driver side looks like 1, but definitely different than the other side.

They seemed to be working perfectly normal on mine because my car is coded such that the adaptive high beams don't turn on until 60 MPH and since that is usually highway for me the passenger high beam only goes on and lights up the side of the road while driver side stays on low beam. Below 60 MPH they just work as normal auto high beams. Messed with those speed settings a bit for when adaptive highs kick on and the tunnel clearly not working as it should be and it is the drivers side light that isn't "moving" much compared to passenger side. Definitely glaring the back of other cars. Passenger side works fine though. May try and just code it leaving drivers side "normal".

In any event I only find the feature helpful at higher speeds anyway, in my '15 I think I was the one more dazzled by the anti dazzle lights than they were helpful.
Do you have instructions on how to code it using BimmerCode? I have a US spec 2018 zcp and have three chips on both lights so it should work on mine right? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 10:54 PM   #57
jimmydick
Boner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 AW ZCP

Looking forward to keep learning developments. Great work on this.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 11:39 PM   #58
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by White340 View Post
Do you have instructions on how to code it using BimmerCode? I have a US spec 2018 zcp and have three chips on both lights so it should work on mine right? Thanks
Bimmercode does not give access to necessary ECUs.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 08:34 AM   #59
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: Incoming G87

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
This. I'm using E-Sys. Might have to drive to Canada and pick up a drivers side LED!

Read...no drive, the manual.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 08:47 AM   #60
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhk118 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
This. I'm using E-Sys. Might have to drive to Canada and pick up a drivers side LED!
Thanks. I used Esys to code my 2016 340 and will have to dust it off to try coding the headlights.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 03:54 PM   #61
fernisatree
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. I used Esys to code my 2016 340 and will have to dust it off to try coding the headlights.
Can you do me a favor and check to see what the part number is on your drivers headlight? I also have a 2018 M3 ZCP us-spec but do not have three chips on both sides just passenger. I am in Germany so hopefully the headlight can be sourced easily.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 06:57 PM   #62
OhioRiderAaron
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:
Since Valeo is the supplier, I'd hesitate to label it a definitive hardware change. They're a "competitive" supplier and with that comes some occasional oddities. My Range Rover now has 2 different headlights after one was damaged during drivetrain replacement. The pass side is a hybrid US/RoW with empty holes instead of a fully sealed trim surround and a different size/configuration turn indicator.

If more members have the 2 chip drive side assembly, we can then put those on the not applicable list.

Trade Agreements are a wonderful thing on occasion. It's now the world and the US standards. Unfortunately there's some bureaucratic hurdles to address before BMWCA is fully up to speed. There's a PUmA/Parts Clearing notation for CAN headlights effective 21.03.18 and internally, the NA model codes changed starting with July SOP. Still sticking with the FMVSS/CMVSS Federalization for models ending production before 2020. The UN and SAE standards include retroactive certifications if the manufacturers choose to do so. That's why I really want to analyze files from recent CAN market cars.

If you can GoPro it, try to stick it on the outside of the windshield, 20cm offset towards the passenger side, level with the KAFAS camera. That's the best place to avoid glare from oncoming traffic while maintaining the ability to see what your car is doing.

And yet they already offer retrofit kits on their website for very cars. Fingers-crossed this will end up being easier than I anticipated. Just want to make sure everything is set as it should be, voltages are correct, and those locking plugs don't break the pivot position mounting point since it's in a really bad spot and very delicate.
My understanding is that CMVSS and FMVSS are splitting up somewhat and ADB will be incorporated for CM next year? Sorry I work in automotive lighting but focus on rear lamps these day so I'm outta loop (and not on the SAE board like some of my coworkers).

ZCP - Daily Driven Trackster ~ Gone but not Forgotten
1LE - Track Rubber & Garage Dust Collector
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 10:43 AM   #63
fernisatree
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I have a 2018 U.S. Spec 2018 M3. I found a great deal on a pair of ECE LCI headlights part numbers 63118738705 and 63118738706. Anyone have any ideas if these would i need to reprogram them and possibly the plug and play ability with these?

Thanks
Appreciate 1
M4theWIN1121.50
      03-16-2019, 06:05 PM   #64
jimmydick
Boner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 AW ZCP

I have a my2018 with an August 2017 build date. I checked the outer lh & rh housings. It was challenging to see looking up so I turned the lights on can clearly see 3 leds on both.

My lights are coded and appear to work properly but get flashed occasionally while using nghb.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 02:24 AM   #65
fernisatree
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydick View Post
I have a my2018 with an August 2017 build date. I checked the outer lh & rh housings. It was challenging to see looking up so I turned the lights on can clearly see 3 leds on both.

My lights are coded and appear to work properly but get flashed occasionally while using nghb.
If you are getting flashed more than likely you're headlights are giving aware glare to people driving. I got flashed a couple times when i programmed these and realized i am putting alot of light into peoples eyes at night so had to stop using these. They appear to work but i would recommend not driving around with them enabled and go back to original coding.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 10:13 AM   #66
88tuning.id
Private First Class
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: E39 520i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernisatree View Post
I have a 2018 U.S. Spec 2018 M3. I found a great deal on a pair of ECE LCI headlights part numbers 63118738705 and 63118738706. Anyone have any ideas if these would i need to reprogram them and possibly the plug and play ability with these?

Thanks
isnt yours also have LCI headlights? what's the point of changing into European version?

i believe there's a setting in FLE module (LCI cars) that stated US/ECE setting for the headlights. i need to check further though.

T
Appreciate 0