R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

06-04-2019, 07:19 AM   #1
GP740iM
Rep
Drives: 2016 740i M

Am I crazy going from 2016 740i M to a 2015 M4 vert?

Opinions please. The 7 is nice but boring.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 08:36 AM   #2
Gumdoc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4

Kind of like when my wife asks the waiter if she should get the Filet or the Halibut...they're like, completely incomparable. So the question itself is kind of silly.

Do you want to drive a luxurious land yacht or something totally different?
Appreciate 3
      06-04-2019, 08:36 AM   #3
joooiiiiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP740iM View Post
Opinions please. The 7 is nice but boring.

You already know the answer. Sell the boat and get the M4 (or M3 if you want 4 doors); you won't regret it.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 09:19 AM   #4
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

I had a 2015 M4 Convertible and now have a 2018 M4 Convertible with competition pack. I had a 2014 BMW 750Lix. They were all great cars. The 750 was a comfortable cruiser with lots of room for passengers. The M4s were less practical but sportier in nature. It all depends on what your needs and preferences are,

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 1
PhatLyfe984.00
      06-04-2019, 09:57 AM   #5
Sahbatage
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 IR BMW M4

Yes, but only because it's a vert
      06-04-2019, 10:24 AM   #6
M3Fahrer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Yes, but only because it doesn't have a CF roof

But seriously, F8X is a great car. Have you also considered the M5, great combination of luxury and performance. I drove an M5 at Palm Beach International Raceway last week, and holy s*%t!!!

Last edited by M3Fahrer; 06-04-2019 at 10:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 11:07 AM   #7
SunnyD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

The question you should be asking yourself is what do you want out of a car?
'98 ///M3 | 5MT - Gone
'07 ///M Coupe | 6MT - Gone
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 01:41 PM   #8
Golfster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: DD: Macan GTS, W/E: 992S

If you want a convertible, the F83 is a lot of fun!
      06-04-2019, 03:21 PM   #9
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahbatage View Post
never understood the vert either. performance car... but you want a couple hundred pound weight penalty along with chassis flex with it.

I think I see more 7 series in the shop than any other bmw as well.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 04:02 PM   #10
Sahbatage
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 IR BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
Quote:
never understood the vert either. performance car... but you want a couple hundred pound weight penalty along with chassis flex with it.

I think I see more 7 series in the shop than any other bmw as well.
Verts are for girls who love having the wind blow through their hair, old men who want to feel young again, and guys who want everyone to see how cool they are
      06-04-2019, 07:44 PM   #11
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

What’s a 740iM?

Did a previous owner stick a eBay M logo on the back?

Jokes aside, how bad are you getting hosed on that car and do you need back seats?

Keep the 7er and get a 2seater?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 08:24 PM   #12
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
What’s a 740iM?

Did a previous owner stick a eBay M logo on the back?

Jokes aside, how bad are you getting hosed on that car and do you need back seats?

Keep the 7er and get a 2seater?
My previous car before I realized how old I was and bought a convertible to make me feel young again.

It didn't work.

Attached Images

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 1
georgere584.50
      06-04-2019, 08:55 PM   #13
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
My previous car before I realized how old I was and bought a convertible to make me feel young again.

It didn't work.

That’s a hilarious photoshop. Good one. (Or did your car really have that random M sticker on the back?)

As for getting a vert not helping you feel young again, that’s too bad. Which vert did you get?

Should have gotten a Miata to go racing. All the older guys doing that who I’m acquainted with are the some of the happiest people I know.

Edit: my $0.02 OP, get a soft top 2 seats vert. Hard top on my e89z4 was super finicky and needed adjustment and got creaky (I operated it 2-6 times per day for 3 years straight since I lived in San Diego at the time).
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 08:56 PM   #14
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Verts are for girls who love having the wind blow through their hair, old men who want to feel young again, and guys who want everyone to see how cool they are
I realize this is off main topic, but I bought my R8 as a convertible instead of the coupe for 3 reasons. The first, in my opinion, is that it's one of the few cars that looks much better as a vert over its coupe sibling. The second, is that the coupe muffles the exhaust sound considerably. Not only is the sound better with the top down, but the rear window can be opened when the top is up for 90% of the same volume. I use it all the time above 30 degrees F. The third reason, is that the coupe has some pretty bad blind spots from the side blade. The vert fixes that.

I'm not a girl, I'm definitely not old, and I don't care what anyone thinks of me. I just use the car as a street car, and it's absolutely more fun than the coupe in that use case. All guys who are car enthusiasts agreed with me the first ride they took in it. All girls hated it because of how badly it messed up their hair from the low roof line.

I used to have the same point of view as you until I drove one. Now I wouldn't have had it any other way. Not sure how many high end sports cars you've driven in vert form, but on the street there's no comparison in my opinion. The only thing that comes close are pop top vettes.

Just some perspective from the other side. There's plenty of reasons people buy verts. I'm sure the M4 vert is also a blast in the right setting.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 10:52 PM   #15
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That’s a hilarious photoshop. Good one. (Or did your car really have that random M sticker on the back?)

As for getting a vert not helping you feel young again, that’s too bad. Which vert did you get?

Should have gotten a Miata to go racing. All the older guys doing that who I’m acquainted with are the some of the happiest people I know.

Edit: my $0.02 OP, get a soft top 2 seats vert. Hard top on my e89z4 was super finicky and needed adjustment and got creaky (I operated it 2-6 times per day for 3 years straight since I lived in San Diego at the time).
That was my car. I put a magnetic back on the ///M badge and put it on the car to take the picture. Photoshopped the license plate.

At the time I had the 750 I also had a 2007 335i Convertible which I replaced with a 2015 M4 Convertible. I replaced that with a 2018 M4 Convertible with competition pack which I still have. I replaced the 750 with a Porsche Cayenne GTS.

I have a Spec Miata track car. I am a member of the Lime Rock Drivers Club and we get 50 track days a year. I also have a soft top 2 seat convertible, a Jaguar XK. It technically has a back seat but it is only usable as a package shelf.

Last edited by captainaudio; 06-04-2019 at 11:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 01:45 AM   #16
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Neither. Remodel your kitchen instead.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 09:54 AM   #17
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
That was my car. I put a magnetic back on the ///M badge and put it on the car to take the picture. Photoshopped the license plate.

At the time I had the 750 I also had a 2007 335i Convertible which I replaced with a 2015 M4 Convertible. I replaced that with a 2018 M4 Convertible with competition pack which I still have. I replaced the 750 with a Porsche Cayenne GTS.

I have a Spec Miata track car. I am a member of the Lime Rock Drivers Club and we get 50 track days a year. I also have a soft top 2 seat convertible, a Jaguar XK. It technically has a back seat but it is only usable as a package shelf.

I was nodding my head enthusiastically until I got to the XK, but that’s more of a personal preference on my part

That was an awesome pic of the 750. Props for having a great sense of humor with the M magnet
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 12:33 PM   #18
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I was nodding my head enthusiastically until I got to the XK, but that's more of a personal preference on my part

That was an awesome pic of the 750. Props for having a great sense of humor with the M magnet
If you don't like my XK Convertible you probably won't like this one either,
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 12:46 PM   #19
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
If you don't like my XK you probably won't like this one either.
Cool car and props for having the $ to keep multiple old British cars on the road

Is that the v12+ manual version of db7?

You are right, that’s not the kind of car I would pursue for myself.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 01:57 PM   #20
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Cool car and props for having the $ to keep multiple old British cars on the road

Is that the v12+ manual version of db7?

You are right, that’s not the kind of car I would pursue for myself.
1 German 2 Brits
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 04:05 PM   #21
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
1 German 2 Brits
Nice loyalty to the convertible body shape and to Jaguar

so, having gone from 750 to M4, do you think OP is "crazy"?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 06:33 PM   #22
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nice loyalty to the convertible body shape and to Jaguar

so, having gone from 750 to M4, do you think OP is "crazy"?

I don't think you can go wrong with either. If he does not need the seating and luggage space and doesn't mind the firmer ride (I find it firm but not harsh - have had the M Adaptive suspension on both M4s - the 2015 had 18" rims the 2018 has 19" rims) I don't think he is crazy to go from a 750 to an M4.
In my case the M4 replaced the 335i and the Porsche Cayenne GTS replaced the 750 so I always had a car that could easily carry 5 people and a fair amount of luggage.
I did not find the 750 boring, I found it to be an excellent road car and the adaptive suspension made it somewhat immune to NYC's ravaged roads.
At this point in time the M4 and the Cayenne share daily driver duties and the other cars strictly fun cars.

Appreciate 0