Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M4 GTS Discussions

06-21-2020, 11:56 PM   #45
Gomeler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235iR, '16 M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day Laborer View Post
Owning a OBD2 scan tool, along with something like Bimmercode or Carly for BMW is really a must for GTS owners; I periodically check it for fault codes related to the water injection as those codes do not show up in the iDrive; specifically the "water pressure too low" code
Wait, do water injection codes show up in Bimmercode? BMW tech made it sound like it didn't through OBDII codes, but something else buried in the ECU dump?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 10:37 AM   #46
Day Laborer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS / iX 50i

Garage List
  [0.00]
I used Carly for BMW before they started the subscription based model; which indicated fault codes that said Water Pressure too low/too high, or something along those lines. I don't have a screenshot of it now, it was long ago.
Part-time with Next Level Auto Brokers, LLC https://www.instagram.com/nextlevelautobrokers/
Appreciate 2
Gomeler500.00
Lienrocs703.00
      06-29-2020, 11:13 AM   #47
kupcake
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 Jahre 50, e92 M3

Having the same issue with mine: max. HP readings on the display screen at 420. Having it checked this week.
Appreciate 1
Gomeler500.00
      07-19-2020, 03:48 AM   #48
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Well since i join the club...i have same issue...car has less then 100 miles,iz was sitting for 4 long years and obviusly i have a problem with stone filter.

I just started the car,worm it up,rev few times,instantly get waring about low water tank,even its full,and i turn the engine off.

Water pump worked 90 second,so that lead me to conclusion that i need to change stone filter.

Any help about that is most appreciate.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 10:13 AM   #49
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deda View Post
Water pump worked 90 second,so that lead me to conclusion that i need to change stone filter.
Based upon variable reported run times, don't think pump time post-shutdown is an indication of much.

Have you run it hard yet? Is it using water? What do the sport displays indicate in terms of power when you're on it? (see pg 2 here.)

I'd go give it some exercise and see if that resolves before taking repair action, although believe you're due stone filter based upon time anyways. Not sure what your dealership service costs are, but part and replacement was only about $90 here. I'd get it into the dealer and begin documentation of the issue, even if out of warranty. If it's a bigger issue, BMW might decide to help out on a car with 100 mls...

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 12:24 PM   #50
Gomeler
Lieutenant
Rep

Responded to your PM with how I replaced the stone filter, but I'd still have a dealership scan the car after you drive it hard for a bit. The number of corroded valve blocks indicates a defect in material choice/manufacturing, and it's not a cheap component to replace out of pocket.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 12:30 PM   #51
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep

Thank you for advices..guys you are great..i will inform you about the progress.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 08:39 AM   #52
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep

So,i got news..filter was alreday changed,but not valve..

So today,they ordered water injection valve block...good thing i got extended warranty...price is around 3500 eur..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 08:52 AM   #53
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

So today,they ordered water injection valve block...good thing i got extended warranty...price is around 3500 eur..

Enough evidence here to suggest GTS water system doesn't like inactivity. I'd pass on any of the garage queens out of warranty.

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 11:41 AM   #54
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
Quote:

Enough evidence here to suggest GTS water system doesn't like inactivity. I'd pass on any of the garage queens out of warranty.
Very true!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 01:56 PM   #55
jpdchicago
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL, X3MC

Got extended warranty last month mostly for water injection system.
Working now but in a year or two, who knows...
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 07:42 PM   #56
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdchicago View Post
Got extended warranty last month mostly for water injection system.
Working now but in a year or two, who knows...
I'm up in December and going to do the same. If it weren't for the water system, might roll the dice. Everything else seems bulletproof.

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 03:29 PM   #57
Gomeler
Lieutenant
Rep

Got the car back after the valveblock replacement today, I'll beat on it when the weather warms up(currently 1C with wintery mix falling..). Have a lapping day scheduled on the 18th, will be curious to see if the in-car power meter goes from ~415hp to ~465hp or so.

The car was still consuming water, just not at the rate that I recall from 2019. Last Friday I went through 20 gallons of gas in 115 minutes, but only ~3/4 gallon of distilled water. Based on my memory from 2019, I should have consumed close to 1.25-1.50 gallons of water.

I got to look at the valve block, but there is very little to see, and the ports on the side all looked clean. No obvious buildup. No clue how the block failed, and it's now in a box on its way to Germany. I was told there was no revision in the part number vs what came off the car, but maybe a minor change was made that didn't warrant a part number change?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 04:00 PM   #58
h_bakken
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 (E93) Convertible

Hello all, from former S65 M3 owner-

Very close to buying M4GTS here just over 5K miles got a few questions for the group feel free to pm me or direct me to existing threads.

Car has been serviced at BMW dealerships and appears to have had the 2Km running in check.

Odd thing is that when I looked at the water injection tank, under the flip cap it had clear plastic sealing the filler neck.

Is this how they came from the factory? When I mentioned it to the owner he had no idea, he has only had the car a couple months and has never attempted to fill the tank.

My theory is that no one has ever put water in, but of course I could be wrong.

(EDIT - Just read the above posts about inactivity and valve block)

If the water pump is out, anyone had to pay for replacement out of warranty, looking for a ballpark figure.

Second question, (think I know the answer) current owner put Pilot Super Sport on after getting a puncture in one of the originals. Anyone attempting to drive on this less sticky tire in summer weather? Seems dangerous.

Third and final question-

Current owner had high end clear bra (XPEL PPF) applied over the Frozen paint. Looked ok but am wondering if this could harm the paint underneath, anyone had this applied and then removed?

Thanks in advance!

Hans

Last edited by h_bakken; 09-08-2020 at 04:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 04:34 PM   #59
Gomeler
Lieutenant
Rep

There is a plastic mesh filter that inserts into the top of the tank, underneath the cap. You can pour through it, or remove it. You can confirm this by just hooking a finger against the wall of the top of the tank and lift up, you'll see the filter inset inside of the mouth.

I was told the valve block today had a MSRP of around $5k. Really feels like a component that should be covered under an extended warranty like the HPFP of the N54, but it'd require a class action lawsuit to get that done. I'm not sure how old the oldest M4 GTS are, I guess a few of them would just be out of the original 4-year window? You might be able to extend the warranty through BMW if that is a concern of yours, even if it just fell out of warranty.

I have my entire car covered in XPEL Stealth. I was told that they should have no problem removing any adhesive that sticks to the paint with solvents. The frozen paint achieved its matte finish via the surface texture, so you absolutely cannot polish the paint to remove any adhesive.

Good luck with your purchase, the F82GTS is pretty special in my book.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 06:56 PM   #60
h_bakken
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thank you that’s helpful. I had put my finger down and thought is was clear plastic sealing the neck but likely just what you said.

I am going back over tomorrow and will double check.

Just found out the car has about 8 weeks left on factory warranty so if I should be able to get this sorted out in time if I decide to buy, also will ask about procedure for extending the warranty to see what would be involved or if it is possible. (seller is dealer but not BMW)

Also thanks for the info on XPEL. Owner had all the external carbon protected as well it really looks quite nice was just curious as I had watched some older BMW videos regarding care of the frozen paint surface and had me spooked.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 11:58 PM   #61
4play
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_bakken View Post

Second question, (think I know the answer) current owner put Pilot Super Sport on after getting a puncture in one of the originals. Anyone attempting to drive on this less sticky tire in summer weather? Seems dangerous.

Hans
My car is on Pilot Sport 4S tires (replacement tire for Pilot Super Sport). It has 95% of the grip of Cup 2s on the street, as it's very difficult to get enough heat in Cup 2s during aggressive street driving to get them into the optimum temperature range.

Obviously, for track duty, the PS4S are not as good - you can only do 4-5 laps before they get greasy and overheat, whereas the Cup 2s are fine at that stage.

I think having 2 sets of wheels - stock with PS4S or PSS and a second set with semi-slicks or slicks - is the best way to go.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 11:14 AM   #62
h_bakken
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the above

The one I’m looking at has 6week left on warranty so I’m thinking ok w/r to getting potential water injection problems sorted if they exist

Thinking a few tanks of spirited driving checking water consumption and then dealer visit to diagnose any potential problems?

Thoughts?

Specifically will fault codes show during dealer inspection if there’s a problem?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 03:38 PM   #63
jinuwin
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 GTS / E71 X6 35i

I thought my water injection wasn't working since I never had to fill up since I bought it in March...

Visited dealer in May to check and they found no errors. The water still looked full at that point.

Fast forward to last week in September, dealer again found no errors. But they did noted that the tank is at 1/4 capacity. ISTA shows water injection will only be used when:

- Coolant temp. above 60 degrees
- Ambient temp. above 5 degrees
- Water temp. above 5 degrees
- Engine is operated at maximum power range

So my tank is working but just looks like it is barely being used. Will try to change stone filter when I do my oil change next spring.

Can anyone else confirm similar findings?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 05:32 PM   #64
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinuwin View Post
I thought my water injection wasn't working since I never had to fill up since I bought it in March...

Visited dealer in May to check and they found no errors. The water still looked full at that point.

Fast forward to last week in September, dealer again found no errors. But they did noted that the tank is at 1/4 capacity. ISTA shows water injection will only be used when:

- Coolant temp. above 60 degrees
- Ambient temp. above 5 degrees
- Water temp. above 5 degrees
- Engine is operated at maximum power range

So my tank is working but just looks like it is barely being used. Will try to change stone filter when I do my oil change next spring.

Can anyone else confirm similar findings?
Water is used in hard driving conditions. Consumption is proportionate. At track days it's ~1:1 with fuel. Cruising at 2,000 rpms, no water use. Fill up the water tank, go hammer on it for 1/2 hr, pull up the engine hp/tq screen on the central display (verify 500 hp reading), then check water use.

Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11479.50
      09-10-2020, 06:17 PM   #65
em4ef82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 F82

I have been monitoring the water consumption using below method (painters tape and marker), marking the water level after each drive. Since I changed the filter and cleaned the filter housing where the stone filter drops, immediately started seeing the difference. Although the lines moved very slowly (driving only weekends) I finally went through almost full tank of water with consistent water usage based on marked lines.
Instead of getting the tank down to dry, I drained the remaining water and topped it with fresh water then restarted monitoring - I know people say distilled water won't go bad but there must be a reason why those filters get clogged, not to mention the exp. on distilled water bottle.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
jinuwin51.50
      09-10-2020, 07:54 PM   #66
h_bakken
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Good info above thanks.

Noob question will any distilled H2O suffice or are there specific recommendations?

The GTS I am looking at will be getting pre purchase inspection hopefully early next week so I can purchase a BMW extended service plan fingers crossed.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11479.50