Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

12-27-2019, 11:55 PM   #45
MisterF80M3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Been hearing a lot of horror stories with VTT lately...
      12-28-2019, 11:54 AM   #46
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: All Things TurboCharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterF80M3 View Post
Been hearing a lot of horror stories with VTT lately...
What horror stories? One guy posting in this section about N54's from 2016 who went radio silent for 2 years? Bill's turbos?

Now Bill's turbos are S55's and they did have an issue that was uncovered at the racetrack. We resolved the issue, quickly, and when we found out he wanted to go another direction even went so far as to help him by transferring warranty to a third party once he sold them (they sold very quickly). That's standing behind your product.

Even when told "hey, if you give me my money back I won't post bad things about your products", we acknowledged the request, said "post away, we'll still help you out". We're transparent like that, enthusiasts, we prefer to work with our customers and not operate hush-hush under cover of darkness, to say nothing of the fact that we won't get leveraged. I know for a fact not all other vendors operate like this.

Anyway, whoever picked up Bill's turbos got great deal on them (I'd say smokin' deal but they won't smoke ) with a full warranty. They'll have fun with them.

As always, any questions shoot me an email directly for best/fastest response.

Chris
Appreciate 1
X.X.I.V76.50
      12-28-2019, 12:14 PM   #47
ASRman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 competition 2018

Way too many cases of VTT hubs failing recently. Would be shocked if anyone still has any trust left in this company to build quality products.
Appreciate 1
sly1types431.50
      12-28-2019, 12:19 PM   #48
Smee
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASRman View Post
Way too many cases of VTT hubs failing recently. Would be shocked if anyone still has any trust left in this company to build quality products.
Can you post the links to this "way to many hubs failing" please.
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2019, 12:35 PM   #49
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Stick to facts please. Zero reported cases of V2 slipping, and one of the V1 (installed correctly with CBC), which has been addressed in this thread.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 01:18 PM   #50
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

"Refund my money or i will go to the forums"

That summarises the entire case in a nutshell.

The fact that you refused the offer to cover up and continued to offer help speaks volumes for you as an individual Chris. Well done. The fact that no one posting in this thread picked up on this indicates the warped world of the "forum universe" and is precisely why vendors should save their money and avoid any presence here. In "forum world" hysteria rules, the truth means nothing and keyboard warriors (or more accurately cowards) can ruin a business reputation with the stroke of a keyboard with little consequence for actions.
Appreciate 5
      12-28-2019, 02:49 PM   #51
bracer
Mr Bill
Rep
Drives: GLC63

So Vargas makes turbos and crankhub that both fail a month apart. Those are the facts and I don't believe even Vargas disputes that. In addition it looks like there was more damage (maybe or maybe not from the failures) and the engine is most likely coming out for a rebuild.

Did I ask for a refund for the parts? You betcha. I think it would have been the least they could do considering their failed parts has put me out 7K and counting. And if offering to not post my experience on the internet was the only way to get me the refund so be it. I'm not going to apologize for trying to minimize my financial impact due to their products. As is I purchased a set of turbos for $3500 and sold them for $2000 so I get to eat $1500 plus shipping for the pleasure of a set of turbos that lasted all of 3000 miles on the street and 1 track session.

The crankhub is an entirely different story as we're still digging into what caused what on the motor, but at a minimum it's a $2500 install bill for a crank hub fix that didn't work.

And I think the comment from Chris on the refund was something of the fact that "Tony has only refunded 1 person since he's been there and that was a customer that had the N54 turbos fail 3 times on him" which also shows where their mindset is/was. It also sounded like there had been multiple V1 failures but they choose not to inform those of us who were early adopters of the Vargas crankhub fix that V1 might not be functioning as intended. Mine didn't bite into the crank at all.

All of that said, I will give thanks to Vargas for extending the warranty to the new buyer of the turbos and offering a V2 crankhub. We don't see eye to eye on what their responsibility was/is, but they did at least make those gestures, which does count for something. Chris has been professional to work with and I do appreciate that as well.
Turbo Miata Racecar (sold)
1995, 2009, 2015 M3 (sold)

Last edited by bracer; 12-28-2019 at 03:33 PM..
Appreciate 2
      12-28-2019, 05:28 PM   #52
Saintjah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

So wait.... if we have V1 you will exchange it for a V2? My V1 is sitting around and has never been installed.
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2019, 05:45 PM   #53
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintjah View Post
So wait.... if we have V1 you will exchange it for a V2? My V1 is sitting around and has never been installed.
Edit: shot you a PM. We'll get you sorted.

Last edited by Chris@VargasTurboTech; 12-28-2019 at 06:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 03:53 PM   #54
Kev608
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintjah View Post
I believe they will give you a V2 for half price.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 04:00 PM   #55
ASRman
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev608 View Post
I believe they will give you a V2 for half price.
And the recourse if V2 turns out to be a POS like V1?
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2019, 04:08 PM   #56
Smee
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smee View Post
Can you post the links to this "way to many hubs failing" please.
ASRman. Got anywhere with those links yet?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 04:25 PM   #57
ASRman
Private First Class
Rep

Smee. There's several cases, I don't like to spread misinformation so I am going by posts I have read personally. Do a search on here and also on various Facebook groups it will not be difficult to find.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 05:37 PM   #58
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Smee. There's several cases, I don't like to spread misinformation so I am going by posts I have read personally. Do a search on here and also on various Facebook groups it will not be difficult to find.
That's exactly what you're doing though -falsely spreading misinformation. As of this date, there is one confirmed case of the V1 spline lock slipping when used with the CBC. Bill's right here in this thread. V1 hasn't been sold since before June when we made the V2 announcement here on F80post.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1621073

(which I even edited to update V1 having one failure vs. none).

More importantly, zero V2 issues. Zero. Unsubstantiated bullshit written by "some guy" on facebook, is nothing more than anecdotal slander.

Just to circle back to the consistent themes that I've espoused here, if anyone does have a V1 and wants to upgrade, shoot me an email. If anyone has an issue with any VTT product, or just wants to discuss options, shoot me an email and I'll be happy get you squared away. Real results, same as we've been doing for over 40 years.

Cheers,
Chris
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 06:00 PM   #59
Kev608
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

Quote:
And the recourse if V2 turns out to be a POS like V1?
If you trust their warranty and are willing to pay one of their installers to do the work, you kind of have backing.
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2019, 02:48 AM   #60
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3s and a Red VW

I recall VTT stating that they sold a couple of hundred V1s, so would we agree those couple hundred cars are at risk of a spin with the V1 installed correctly?

I genuinely feel bad for those V1 owners who have spent the money for peace of mind and now that peace of mind is completely gone because any one of them could spin anytime. I think the right thing to do is for VTT to issue a recall on those V1 hubs and reimburse those owners of the V1 hubs to remove and exchange for the V2, parts AND labor.

Even then, I wouldn't feel 100 percent confident with the V2. I know they now have a no-slip guarantee but when the V1 was first introduced, they hyped it up as pretty much bombproof, they stated it broke their test rig before it would slip. So what exactly happened here...? This V1 was installed correctly with the CBC, yet it slipped. How did this happen VTT when it supposedly broke your test rig during testing...we need an explanation here.

Last edited by DanMpower; 12-30-2019 at 02:54 AM..
Appreciate 5
      12-30-2019, 06:23 AM   #61
X.X.I.V
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSXiMUS View Post
This V1 was installed correctly with the CBC, yet it slipped. How did this happen VTT when it supposedly broke your test rig during testing...we need an explanation here.
Was this V1 correctly installed?...is there a difference in installation procedure due to the splines are now straight on the V2?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 01:05 AM   #62
LINF83
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80

Installed v1 complete fix back in March was happy with the fix until I see this thread
Appreciate 3
yjypm219.00
DanMpower3234.00
chen0.00
      12-31-2019, 01:15 AM   #63
yjypm
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyF80 View Post
Installed v1 complete fix back in March was happy with the fix until I see this thread
Same here I have the v1 installed in Jan 2019

Instagram:catpupu_f80
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 05:02 AM   #64
ASRman
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@VargasTurboTech View Post
That's exactly what you're doing though -falsely spreading misinformation. As of this date, there is one confirmed case of the V1 spline lock slipping when used with the CBC. Bill's right here in this thread. V1 hasn't been sold since before June when we made the V2 announcement here on F80post.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1621073

(which I even edited to update V1 having one failure vs. none).

More importantly, zero V2 issues. Zero. Unsubstantiated bullshit written by "some guy" on facebook, is nothing more than anecdotal slander.

Just to circle back to the consistent themes that I've espoused here, if anyone does have a V1 and wants to upgrade, shoot me an email. If anyone has an issue with any VTT product, or just wants to discuss options, shoot me an email and I'll be happy get you squared away. Real results, same as we've been doing for over 40 years.

Cheers,
Chris

Stop being so defensive. You released a product promised it being a fix and now telling People there is a better version that won't slip after seeing V1 fail. Hundreds of people have paid you for V1. You're lucky there has not been a lawsuit filed. Do the right thing refund them all or agree to upgrade them all to V2 free of charge and maybe people will stop hating on VTT. Genuinely feel bad for V1 owners right now.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 10:48 AM   #65
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Stop being so defensive. You released a product promised it being a fix and now telling People there is a better version that won't slip after seeing V1 fail. Hundreds of people have paid you for V1. You're lucky there has not been a lawsuit filed. Do the right thing refund them all or agree to upgrade them all to V2 free of charge and maybe people will stop hating on VTT. Genuinely feel bad for V1 owners right now.
Don't mistake identifying false slander and lie spreading with defensiveness. You have no facts to back up your accusations. Threatening a lawsuit shows how little you understand about the process and parts involved. The V1 did offer a large degree of protection when properly installed, but nothing like the aggressiveness of the V2.

Continuous improvement is something we always seek after. The V2, which has been out for a while now, is much more aggressive, so much so that it's backed with a warranty when installed by one of our authorized shops. Those with V1's who wanted to exchange were offered an opportunity to do so (and still are). This was outlined clearly at the time of V2 release and has been reiterated by myself several times since.

Cheers,
Chris
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 11:19 AM   #66
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@VargasTurboTech View Post
The V1 did offer a large degree of protection when properly installed, but nothing like the aggressiveness of the V2.
Hey Chris,

When installing VTT hub, can the V1 or V2 hub be removed immediately after it's bolted in to check if the splines are biting? Or is it a case of once it's installed, it's stuck in there?
Appreciate 0