Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

01-20-2023, 04:27 PM   #1
RhinoComp
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition 6MT

F30 vs F80 Speaker fitment

Is there any difference between the doorcards on the F80 versus an F30? I notice that Crutchfield states a larger variety of speakers fit as midrange replacements, namely the Focal K2 ES100K components, as being available for an F30 Harmon Kardon versus F80 Harmon Kardon.

I can't imagine it's a big deal, but I have only been burned in past lives where I had thought I knew more than Crutchfield. Is there something I'm missing here? Anyone have any feedback on how they've fitted Focal K2s specifically?

TIA.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2023, 12:32 PM   #2
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Cs Lamborghini Huracan

All F Series M3/M4 (at least in USA) have HK Audio Option as standard. These speakers are 100% the same as the F30/F32 with HK OPTION. You can tell by the tweeters on the bottom of the A Frame.

From there it gets murky. F30/F31 HiFi Option doesn’t have all the same speaker placements as the HK System does. Like the A Frame Tweeters. Or the Tweeters on the rear side door. Same with basic.

You didn’t ask this, but need to know.

It even gets murkier when you get into the Speakers impedance, also called resistance.

iirc, the basic, Hi-Fi and HK all have difference impedance on the speaker sets and amps.

So yes, some speakers are in theory non-compatible.

Looking at the Crutchfield page for the speakers you are looking at, correct or not, it states they are all 4 Ohms. I *believe* they are replacements for the HiFi Speakers, but it’s honestly been years since I checked the specs of the different lines.

I seem to remember the HK possibly had a different resistance for at least the under seat sub, but could be incorrect. That might explain why they list the F30 but not the F80.

So you really need to pull the 3 different speaker types, unplug them and check them with an ohm meter to be sure of resistance, unless someone recalls FOR CERTAIN the values of the HK Speakers Options in the F80/F82.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2023, 11:25 PM   #3
RhinoComp
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YASBBYM3 View Post
All F Series M3/M4 (at least in USA) have HK Audio Option as standard. These speakers are 100% the same as the F30/F32 with HK OPTION. You can tell by the tweeters on the bottom of the A Frame.

From there it gets murky. F30/F31 HiFi Option doesn’t have all the same speaker placements as the HK System does. Like the A Frame Tweeters. Or the Tweeters on the rear side door. Same with basic.

You didn’t ask this, but need to know.

It even gets murkier when you get into the Speakers impedance, also called resistance.

iirc, the basic, Hi-Fi and HK all have difference impedance on the speaker sets and amps.

So yes, some speakers are in theory non-compatible.

Looking at the Crutchfield page for the speakers you are looking at, correct or not, it states they are all 4 Ohms. I *believe* they are replacements for the HiFi Speakers, but it’s honestly been years since I checked the specs of the different lines.

I seem to remember the HK possibly had a different resistance for at least the under seat sub, but could be incorrect. That might explain why they list the F30 but not the F80.

So you really need to pull the 3 different speaker types, unplug them and check them with an ohm meter to be sure of resistance, unless someone recalls FOR CERTAIN the values of the HK Speakers Options in the F80/F82.
I believe impedance and all that fun stuff is all fine between the HK Amp and the Focal K2's. It appears where Crutchfield is hung up is the mounting depth. Their listed mounting depth for the Focal midranges is 1.546". Crutchfield states that the F80 midrange location mounting depth is 1.481", whereas it states that the F30 midrange location mounting depth is 1.590". I can't find anything that gives the impression there's anything different about the doors and door cards between F30 and F80 besides the F80 having less sound insulation perhaps (which I would imagine that would allow for more room if anything).
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2023, 03:21 AM   #4
NealfromNZ
Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

The es100k are only 3 mm deeper that the custom fit ISBMW100Ls which is listed for both F30 and F80 fitment A custom spacer will sort that. Just needs some attention between the door card mount for grill and speaker surround face. Just need to think about a draught seal of some kind depending on how thick the custom spacer is.

Other area is the tweeter on the es100k needs to be taken out of its case and a custom ring added so it clips into Hk mounts. A person on here sells adaptor rings for the tweeter and mid base for an e90 setup. The tweeter ring should work, but not sure about the mid bass adapter as e90 mounts to door card rather than door.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2023, 11:06 AM   #5
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Cs Lamborghini Huracan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoComp View Post
I believe impedance and all that fun stuff is all fine between the HK Amp and the Focal K2's. It appears where Crutchfield is hung up is the mounting depth. Their listed mounting depth for the Focal midranges is 1.546". Crutchfield states that the F80 midrange location mounting depth is 1.481", whereas it states that the F30 midrange location mounting depth is 1.590". I can't find anything that gives the impression there's anything different about the doors and door cards between F30 and F80 besides the F80 having less sound insulation perhaps (which I would imagine that would allow for more room if anything).
If only concerned about door cards, they both are the same in size. A few F30s have also purchased M3 interior doorcards with seats to retrofit. And some bastardized used M3s have been shown for sale with F30 seats and door cards over the years.
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2023, 03:40 PM   #6
RhinoComp
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealfromNZ View Post
The es100k are only 3 mm deeper that the custom fit ISBMW100Ls which is listed for both F30 and F80 fitment A custom spacer will sort that. Just needs some attention between the door card mount for grill and speaker surround face. Just need to think about a draught seal of some kind depending on how thick the custom spacer is.

Other area is the tweeter on the es100k needs to be taken out of its case and a custom ring added so it clips into Hk mounts. A person on here sells adaptor rings for the tweeter and mid base for an e90 setup. The tweeter ring should work, but not sure about the mid bass adapter as e90 mounts to door card rather than door.
I think I know the spacers and tweeter rings you're talking about on the eBay link. I believe you might have actually linked them to me in one of the FB groups awhile back! I may reach out to that guy to see if he'd sell just the tweeter ring, and then there's another guy who makes speaker adapters.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 07:38 PM   #7
NealfromNZ
Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep

There was also a uk company that 3d prints f30/f80 woofer rings for es100ks that I came across recently. They don’t ship down under but might be useful to yourself.

https://streetwise3d.com/products/bm...-adaptors-pair
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2023, 07:55 PM   #8
RhinoComp
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealfromNZ View Post
There was also a uk company that 3d prints f30/f80 woofer rings for es100ks that I came across recently. They don’t ship down under but might be useful to yourself.

https://streetwise3d.com/products/bm...-adaptors-pair
That’s perfect, but it looks like they don’t ship to the USA either.

There appears to be an eBay seller named bmwhaus_uk which ships worldwide, but otherwise it seems like I’m getting closer and closer to buying an Ender 3…
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 09:37 PM   #9
NealfromNZ
Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep

Thinking similar on the 3D printer. Cost of purchase and fright via freight forwarder is similar to a printer.

Either that or make adaptors out of ABS plastic chopping board or use MDF and utility vehicle bed liner waterproof paint.

This could be a good base file for 3D printing and adapting to es100k bolt holes for F80 / F3X platforms.

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/vari...eaker-adapater
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 01:40 PM   #10
NealfromNZ
Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoComp View Post
That’s perfect, but it looks like they don’t ship to the USA either.

There appears to be an eBay seller named bmwhaus_uk which ships worldwide, but otherwise it seems like I’m getting closer and closer to buying an Ender 3…
FYI
If you contact this seller ( streetwise3d ) via their web page they will ship internationally.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2023, 07:45 PM   #11
NealfromNZ
Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep

Here’s the streetwise adaptor for es100k in F8x f3x doors for anyone following this thread. Website has international shipping now.

Well made with excellent fit. Just received 4 of them
Attached Images

Appreciate 0