R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-14-2018, 01:47 PM   #1
PhaedeDPGH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Downpipes and Emissions

I’ve searched the forms and mostly found old threads.

Is there any fix for emissions and catless downpipes yet, or do I need to remove them and run my JB4 on map 0 to pass still?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 02:49 PM   #2
blockdoc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaedeDPGH View Post
I’ve searched the forms and mostly found old threads.

Is there any fix for emissions and catless downpipes yet, or do I need to remove them and run my JB4 on map 0 to pass still?
Not sure what you are asking here. The CEL can be removed by programming, but you will NOT pass emissions without cats regardless of what kind of programming is done. You either have to "know a guy", or you are gonna have to put the cats back on for emissions testing. Sorry
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 05:27 PM   #3
MisterF80M3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockdoc View Post
Not sure what you are asking here. The CEL can be removed by programming, but you will NOT pass emissions without cats regardless of what kind of programming is done. You either have to "know a guy", or you are gonna have to put the cats back on for emissions testing. Sorry
I thought DP will pass smog as long as they don't do a visual?
      08-17-2018, 02:54 PM   #4
blockdoc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterF80M3 View Post
Well the OP had said CATLESS. Aren't gonna pass any emissions without cats
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 03:11 PM   #5
kevin @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterF80M3 View Post
Catless will not pass the OBD readiness tests if tuned off. If there isnt a tune there will be a check engine light for the secondary o2 sensors.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 06:38 PM   #6
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

Get an emissions waiver if you state has that option
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 10:56 PM   #7
///BMW Junkie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M4

I'm still not clear on this. Obviously a visual and smog will fail with no cats. But the part where they hook via OBD to their emission system will pass if tuned right?
      08-18-2018, 10:49 AM   #8
cigarsmoker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4trix View Post
I'm still not clear on this. Obviously a visual and smog will fail with no cats. But the part where they hook via OBD to their emission system will pass if tuned right?
No. The tune only prevents the CEL from appearing, it does nothing wrt to the O2 sensors' readings that the emission's OBD testing is reading. In fact, depending on the type of tune, it makes the O2 sensor in a non-ready status.

Last edited by cigarsmoker; 08-18-2018 at 11:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 11:15 AM   #9
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Quote:
Not sure what state you’re in. In CA, you’re only allowed one monitor in a not ready state. The OBD connection looks at your emissions on your vehicle and compares it to the average for make/model. If it falls outside that range, you fail. This is also in addition to visual inspection.
Very simplistic explanation of process.

Most tunes put your system in a not ready condition when turning off O2 monitors. Hook up a OBD reader and check to see all your smog related readyness conditions. If more than 1 is out, you need to do a drive cycle and see if they go to ready. More than likely the tune will not allow the system to get to full readyness.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 02:10 PM   #10
///BMW Junkie
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
Quote:
Not sure what state you’re in. In CA, you’re only allowed one monitor in a not ready state. The OBD connection looks at your emissions on your vehicle and compares it to the average for make/model. If it falls outside that range, you fail. This is also in addition to visual inspection.

Most tunes put your system in a not ready condition when turning off O2 monitors. Hook up a OBD reader and check to see all your smog related readyness conditions. If more than 1 is out, you need to do a drive cycle and see if they go to ready. More than likely the tune will not allow the system to get to full readyness.
Thanks
      08-20-2018, 04:31 PM   #11
schnell1982
Captain
Rep
Drives: FAST

Quote:

Emission testing is a lot more detailed currently
If you have ECU programming for CEL delete, it will raise a flag thru the OBD software and you might get flagged to a referee
I have spoken to a few smog shops about this topic and the software at smog stations has changed and it is programmed to detect ECU coding.
Its only a matter of time before CA is gonna suck 100% for modified cars
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 08:29 PM   #12
blockdoc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell1982 View Post
If you have ECU programming for CEL delete, it will raise a flag thru the OBD software and you might get flagged to a referee
I have spoken to a few smog shops about this topic and the software at smog stations has changed and it is programmed to detect ECU coding.
GONNA SUCK? This state sucks you know what for just about anything but the beach lol. I am so tired of crappy 91 oct gas and “49 states legal” mods
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2018, 08:30 PM   #13
///BMW Junkie
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell1982 View Post
Quote:

I'm in VA
      08-21-2018, 08:38 AM   #14
mike_stier
Rep

I've always screwed spark plug non foulers into the o2 bung and then installed the sensors into the non fouler. Worked on every other car I've owned. Passed emissions in MD many times. I hope the trick still works with this car.

Like these... https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-42008-..._1534858677809

Not sure what size the M4 needs but this is what worked on my evo.
      08-21-2018, 10:00 AM   #15
schnell1982
Captain
Rep
Drives: FAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockdoc View Post
GONNA SUCK? This state sucks you know what for just about anything but the beach lol. I am so tired of crappy 91 oct gas and “49 states legal” mods
Right ?!?!
Its only going to get worse. CA is the meca for cars. We have crazy cars driving around, a lot of companies "were" here until moving out of state.
Appreciate 1
blockdoc373.00
      08-21-2018, 10:06 AM   #16
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Every state is different on emissions testing.

Catless won't pass visual, sniffer or OBD II.

Only option if you don't have a workaround with your tuner is to remove and go back to stock for inspection.
Appreciate 1
blockdoc373.00
      04-09-2019, 08:42 AM   #17
fuzzybacchus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f83 M4, 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin @ eas View Post
Catless will not pass the OBD readiness tests if tuned off. If there isnt a tune there will be a check engine light for the secondary o2 sensors.
i know that this is an old discussion but i also am wondering about this. PA law allows one monitor to be not ready. how many monitors go out with catless DP? is it two (one for each O2 sensor?) because i can reset the CEL and put monitors in not ready state i just cannot have any fail states and i can only have one monitor not ready.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 01:07 PM   #18
TypeDre
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 MW 6MT

Washington State is getting rid of Emissions testing starting 2020.

https://www.king5.com/article/news/l...1-1322fda99135

One option is to move to Washington State lol
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 02:53 PM   #19
SOLIDM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: FAST M4

Curious to Know about NJ, I currently got a BOOTMOD3 stage2 and VRSF downpipes.
Appreciate 0