Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

10-06-2016, 07:27 AM   #1
FirstF80InSpace
///M You
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche 718 Cayman S

What wheels locks are you using for aftermarket wheels?

Hey folks.

Like the title says. What do you guys use for wheel locks for your aftermarket/winter wheels?

Reason I ask is the winter rims that I'm getting have a smaller lug hole. So apparently, I need a tuner style wheel lock because they are slimmer. Problem is I cannot find any in the M14x1.25 thread size that is required.

So asking if any of you have aftermarket wheels with the smaller lug holes and what you guys did for wheel locks.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 10:23 AM   #2
Signature Wheel BMW
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Signature BMW

Thanks to Youtube, even a 10yr old can steal wheels with locking lug nuts. Wheel locks will deter a newbie thief who comes unprepared, but it's mostly a waste money. If you park in a sketchy neighborhood, no lock will save your beautiful wheels.

Spend the money on a good dash cam that will alert you when there's motion and allow you to view what's going on with your car. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Signature Wheel BMW; 10-06-2016 at 10:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 12:48 PM   #3
FirstF80InSpace
///M You
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche 718 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signature Wheel BMW View Post
Thanks to Youtube, even a 10yr old can steal wheels with locking lug nuts. Wheel locks will deter a newbie thief who comes unprepared, but it's mostly a waste money. If you park in a sketchy neighborhood, no lock will save your beautiful wheels.

Spend the money on a good dash cam that will alert you when there's motion and allow you to view what's going on with your car. Just my 2 cents.
I agree that wheel locks are no guarantee that your wheels won't be stolen. The way I look at it, is that it will at the very least slow the thief down. They may just look for an easier target as there are lots of nice wheels out there that aren't locked down.

But hopefully, just seeing wheel locks is enough to deter the thief into looking for a softer target. It's only a $40 investment at the end of the day.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 09:42 AM   #4
BitchinManWheels
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M4, Z4, X5, Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenCommunist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signature Wheel BMW View Post

I agree that wheel locks are no guarantee that your wheels won't be stolen. The way I look at it, is that it will at the very least slow the thief down. They may just look for an easier target as there are lots of nice wheels out there that aren't locked down.

But hopefully, just seeing wheel locks is enough to deter the thief into looking for a softer target. It's only a $40 investment at the end of the day.
I agree, they are there to deter and slow the thief down. Thus I bought wheel locks for ALL of the lugs! Plus my OCD couldn't handle looking at just one lug that is different from the rest.
Here's what I bought:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...FROTfgod_sUJOQ
They are solid steel so I think it would be difficult to do the "hammer on a tight socket trick".
They are great if you infrequently take off your wheels. It is a PITA to use the key and I stripped a couple of keys (they are a little softer than the lug).
I now track my car regularly so I took them off and looking at stud conversion kits.
      10-10-2016, 11:29 AM   #5
BitchinManWheels
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

These also look like a pain to take off:
      10-10-2016, 12:06 PM   #6
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitchinManWheels View Post
lol those are horrendous

A deep well socket would take them off no problem though
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 05:01 PM   #7
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitchinManWheels View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EALm4 View Post
lol those are horrendous

A deep well socket would take them off no problem though
Straight up Ben Hur style. I imagine those would be easy as pie to take off with a simple vice-grip plier.

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 05:34 PM   #8
BitchinManWheels
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

These are even better!
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/325379...08.4.44.nO6Go9
Looks like the cone unscrews so it's easy to take on and off.
I challenge anyone with a F8X and studs to get these! They are so awesomely bad!
      09-10-2019, 06:20 AM   #9
kingofqueenz788
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Lmao I had these in black on my Subaru sti :x in my younger days
Appreciate 0