Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

08-11-2021, 09:58 AM   #1453
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_SheerDrivingPleasure View Post
Coincidentally, I just ordered a micrometer on amazon. Is it possible to measure the rotors with the dust shield on or does it interfere?

I'm also on original rotors with 20k miles with about 20 track days. I dual duty the car and keep the track pads on April to Nov. My fear is that street driving with abrasive track pads have worn down the rotor before visible cracks appear.

I'm admittedly an anxious person but also looking for an excuse to replace OEM with girodisc or alcons.
Take them off.... permanently.
thanks.
even during the winter months?
fronts and rear?
Appreciate 1
NYG10690.50
      08-11-2021, 10:16 AM   #1454
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Take them off.... permanently.
I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner. Bonus: no more horrible grinding noises when rocks get stuck in the shield.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
NYG10690.50
      08-11-2021, 10:35 AM   #1455
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
thanks.
fronts and rear?
I don't see why not in winter months, we don't live in Canada

Bear in mind both the fronts and rears can be removed with bolts, no need to cut anything like previous gen M3s. I say this because a 'very reputable shop' some of you guys go to cut up the rear shields of an F8X a few weeks back.
Appreciate 2
      08-11-2021, 10:40 AM   #1456
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

Quote:
thanks.
fronts and rear?
Yep, any negligible benefit that they give you are offset by heat.

Are you coming to lightning with jfritz27 and I the following weekend? Montaver as well if he's not being a wanker.
Appreciate 2
      08-11-2021, 10:55 AM   #1457
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Bear in mind both the fronts and rears can be removed with bolts, no need to cut anything like previous gen M3s. I say this because a 'very reputable shop' some of you guys go to cut up the rear shields of an F8X a few weeks back.

It's a lot easier to remove the rear if you cut the small strip on the caliper side of the shield (see here). This will let you slide the shield out of the rear. Otherwise you need to take the hub off to get that shield out.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.

Last edited by FaRKle!; 08-11-2021 at 11:05 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2021, 10:59 AM   #1458
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
It's a lot easier to remove the rear if you cut the small strip on the caliper side of the shield. This will let you slide the shield out of the rear. Otherwise you need to take the hub off to get that shield out.
I was able to get mine out without removing the hub/rotor or cutting it.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 11:14 AM   #1459
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I was able to get mine out without removing the hub/rotor or cutting it.
On the rear??? You're saying you were able to take the parking brake shoes out, slide the supporting ring between the parking brake and dust shield off over the hub, and then slide the dust shield over the hub? I don't believe this since both the hole in the supporting ring and dust shield is smaller than the hub's flange, and the supporting ring is the same PN across all F8x.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 11:20 AM   #1460
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
On the rear??? You're saying you were able to take the parking brake shoes out, slide the supporting ring between the parking brake and dust shield off over the hub, and then slide the dust shield over the hub? I don't believe this since both the hole in the supporting ring and dust shield is smaller than the hub's flange, and the supporting ring is the same PN across all F8x.
Ah, I only did the fronts.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 11:35 AM   #1461
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
On the rear you can remove the entire headshield without cutting anything. You have to remove the handbrake piece but that isn't very hard.

If you are swapping rotors or installing a BBK it is quite easy to do properly
Appreciate 1
NYG10690.50
      08-11-2021, 04:03 PM   #1462
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
thanks.
fronts and rear?
Yep, any negligible benefit that they give you are offset by heat.

Are you coming to lightning with jfritz27 and I the following weekend? Montaver as well if he's not being a wanker.
thanks. my next event is 8/20 @ LRP then 8/30-8/31 at WGI. Both with SCDA.

I will most certainly shed my shields before WGI. Good to know that the fronts can be removed without removing the rotors.
Appreciate 1
NYG10690.50
      08-11-2021, 11:11 PM   #1463
dawei213
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

This Saturday's weather for NJMP looks like 50% chance of thunderstorm. I have about 6mm on my MPSS as measured by my local dealer (they performed the tech inspection and gave me the readout). I'll also be bringing a set of 18" Apex EC7 w/ new Nitto NT01 staggered.

Question, should I run my MPSS with threat of rain or would NT01 at full tread depth be ok with rain? And would 6mm on the MPSS survive 5 x 20 minutes session? Or should I switch tire sets between sessions depending on weather conditions?

This will be my first HPDE event, but I've autocross numerous times so I won't be pushing hard but I probably won't be slow poking around either.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 07:15 AM   #1464
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawei213 View Post
This Saturday's weather for NJMP looks like 50% chance of thunderstorm. I have about 6mm on my MPSS as measured by my local dealer (they performed the tech inspection and gave me the readout). I'll also be bringing a set of 18" Apex EC7 w/ new Nitto NT01 staggered.

Question, should I run my MPSS with threat of rain or would NT01 at full tread depth be ok with rain? And would 6mm on the MPSS survive 5 x 20 minutes session? Or should I switch tire sets between sessions depending on weather conditions?

This will be my first HPDE event, but I've autocross numerous times so I won't be pushing hard but I probably won't be slow poking around either.
NT01. Just be smooth and aware of standing puddles because they are terrible at evacuating water.

you could always swap between sessions if conditions get terrible.
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2021, 07:53 AM   #1465
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:

I say swap if the track gets fully wet or if there is any standing water anywhere on track. It takes only 5 min to swap, and that is the beauty of the F8x, you have a dual dry/wet setup at your disposal.

The MPSS will not survive 5 sessions in the dry if you are quick.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2021, 10:04 AM   #1466
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

NT01 with TC on is going to be pretty rough. With TC off, avoid standing water.

The weather is so chaotic and random right now, I wouldn't be surprised if you had good weather 90% of the time with some thunder in between.
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2021, 11:11 AM   #1467
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
I say swap if the track gets fully wet or if there is any standing water anywhere on track. It takes only 5 min to swap, and that is the beauty of the F8x, you have a dual dry/wet setup at your disposal.
Agree with this. I drove in heavy rain with NT01 on the street once and it wasn't fun. The next day on track it wasn't raining anymore, but there was standing water. I still had to be very careful and extra smooth or things would start sliding, and that was with an AWD car.

Appreciate 1
      08-12-2021, 12:00 PM   #1468
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

Quote:

I presume you'll be at Lightning? I'll be at Thunderbolt with PCA, club race going on there as well. Fingers crossed that we'll get lucky on the weather (NYG is right -- forecasts for Milville, being close to shore, often aren't accurate or change quickly), but I'm brushing up on wet line fundamentals regardless. Similar to you, will have my street Conti ECS with me to use if needed
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2021, 10:48 PM   #1469
dawei213
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfritz27 View Post
I presume you'll be at Lightning? I'll be at Thunderbolt with PCA, club race going on there as well. Fingers crossed that we'll get lucky on the weather (NYG is right -- forecasts for Milville, being close to shore, often aren't accurate or change quickly), but I'm brushing up on wet line fundamentals regardless. Similar to you, will have my street Conti ECS with me to use if needed
Thanks for your inputs all. I'll most likely start with the NT01 and switch over if it starts raining.

jfritz27, yes I'll be running at Lighting with the BMW CCA Del Val chapter Otto's event. At least Sunday looks like it'll be good and won't be scorching hot like the last few days.

Another question, how many of you purchase insurance? I'm looking at OnTrackInsurance and premium looks to be at $395 for stated value of $65k. I'll probably purchase it for a piece of mind but wondering how many people purchases it?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 10:58 PM   #1470
melanthius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for your inputs all. I'll most likely start with the NT01 and switch over if it starts raining.

jfritz27, yes I'll be running at Lighting with the BMW CCA Del Val chapter Otto's event. At least Sunday looks like it'll be good and won't be scorching hot like the last few days.

Another question, how many of you purchase insurance? I'm looking at OnTrackInsurance and premium looks to be at $395 for stated value of $65k. I'll probably purchase it for a piece of mind but wondering how many people purchases it?
I get insurance (hagerty)

It would be a lot of car to replace if something were to happen. And to be fair I've definitely seen unintentional contact and wrecks at the track so I feel like it could happen to me
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2021, 08:52 AM   #1471
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanthius View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I get insurance (hagerty)

It would be a lot of car to replace if something were to happen. And to be fair I've definitely seen unintentional contact and wrecks at the track so I feel like it could happen to me
get the insurance for piece of mind. For another $175 you can add $1M in liability coverage.
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2021, 10:16 AM   #1472
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:

I get ontrackinsurance for every event. If you get more than 6 a year you get a 15 % discount. You can carryover some policies, so you can buy a 5 pack and have 2 carryover to the following year
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2021, 10:42 AM   #1473
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
get the insurance for piece of mind. For another $175 you can add $1M in liability coverage.
Becareful with general liability.

Most organizations carry a GL policy for their members and/or waivers are signed by attendees.
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2021, 11:45 AM   #1474
Driver407
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' F80 M3, 02' E46 M3

Quote:
Becareful with general liability.

Most organizations carry a GL policy for their members and/or waivers are signed by attendees.
Good call! Ive never thought about that before. I dont get liability but i have debated in the past.
TC Kline coilovers and camber plates, Apex 18" EC-7, Conti ECF 295r/275f, monoball thrustarms, SPL toe arms, Powerflex diff bushings/bracket, AP Racing 9660, Project Mu H21, Spiegler brake lines, AA midpipe, VTT crankhub, VRSF charge/j pipe, Turner tray, BM3 CS
Youtube: Driver407
Appreciate 1
NYG10690.50