Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

05-28-2021, 02:56 PM   #1
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

SOLVED - Finally a thrust bearing that works

Just want to share this with the community.

For those that are running coilovers with 2.25" or 60mm springs will know the inevitable noise/creaks/pings that eventually creep into the front suspension -- often described as happening at low speeds while turning the wheel.

The accumulation of debris and pebbles in the rotational points in our McPherson strut set ups, eventually leads to this noise. I've tried all manner of thrust bearings (4 different kinds) but none would stay quiet for very long; especially if you recently have a rainy day. After struggling with this for years, I finally settled on some common torrington needle thrust bearings while also getting into the routine of tearing down and cleaning the strut assembly every 6 months or so.

When came time for me to upgrade my JRZ RS2 to RSPro3, I wanted to get a replacement top spring perch as well. Bryan Hise at 057Motorspots was kind enough to send me a set of JRZ's new sealed thrust bearings to try out. The thrust bearings on these are integrated into the top spring perch and sealed. Brilliant. The red aluminum is two pieces that rotate and have internal bearings. The black plastic piece is just the spring seat. The tolerance is very tight, completely sealed and silent. Seems near impossible for any debris to get into the bearings. Although these are made by JRZ, they'll actually work on any coilover shock that has the normal 22mm > 18mm > 14mm shaft. I am thoroughly impressed with these.

I know this is a problem that most people don't care about or gave up on, but I just thought I'd share my impressions with bimmerpost -- it's kinda what I tend to do when I find new information that might be helpful for that one guy.

JRZ thrust bearings/spring perch

Other solutions I've tried:
Plastic Thrust Bearing (literal ball bearings sandwiched inside).

Swift Thrust Sheets.

Torrington Needle Bearing Thrust Sheets.

Last edited by x.shell; 05-28-2021 at 05:03 PM..
Appreciate 6
irunalot1518.00
Tuner199.00
yjypm219.00
Shubacca121.50
      05-28-2021, 03:20 PM   #2
irunalot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera S

How did the thrust sheets work? I just switched to those when I installed the MCS dampers.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 03:41 PM   #3
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by irunalot View Post
How did the thrust sheets work? I just switched to those when I installed the MCS dampers.
It worked okay. But they eventually bind up when enough debris or pebbles get stuck in between the spring coils and sheet and perch. If you don't clean them regularly, the debris will chew up the plastic. They'll still work, you'll just have to clean them more often. If it rains a lot in your area, it's a losing battle.

In terms of low friction movement, nothing beats metal bearings. The Torrington needle bearings were the best ones I've used before getting these JRZ's. They are by far the most popular for coilovers. The needle bearings are easy to clean once you have access. Having it sealed makes it that much better. There's a reason why OEM uses sealed bearings — virtually no maintenance.

I've also though about getting some coilover socks, but they're overpriced and I was too lazy to make my own. I was impressed that MSS's HAS kit comes with socks.

Hope this has helped.
Appreciate 1
irunalot1518.00
      05-28-2021, 04:22 PM   #4
irunalot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by x.shell View Post
It worked okay. But they eventually bind up when enough debris or pebbles get stuck in between the spring coils and sheet and perch. If you don't clean them regularly, the debris will chew up the plastic. They'll still work, you'll just have to clean them more often. If it rains a lot in your area, it's a losing battle.

In terms of low friction movement, nothing beats metal bearings. The Torrington needle bearings were the best ones I've used before getting these JRZ's. They are by far the most popular for coilovers. The needle bearings are easy to clean once you have access. Having it sealed makes it that much better. There's a reason why OEM uses sealed bearings — virtually no maintenance.

I've also though about getting some coilover socks, but they're overpriced and I was too lazy to make my own. I was impressed that MSS's HAS kit comes with socks.

Hope this has helped.
Thank you, I appreciate the feedback. That was very helpful!
Appreciate 1
x.shell6578.50
      05-28-2021, 08:40 PM   #5
E92inSG
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I just ordered the swift sheets myself for my RS pro. These front coils are REALLY noisy!!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 08:59 PM   #6
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92inSG View Post
I just ordered the swift sheets myself for my RS pro. These front coils are REALLY noisy!!
When you have no thrust sheets, it'll get noisy very quickly. My RS Pros are completely silent.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 12:51 AM   #7
E92inSG
Captain
Rep

Yup I was deciding between the swift sheets or actual Torrington bearings but I heard the bearings get destroyed pretty fast as well on street driving thru mud and road dirt etc.

The swift sheets are advertised as no maintenance
Appreciate 1
x.shell6578.50
      05-29-2021, 08:53 AM   #8
DeathBear
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 18 M3

Apologies but I have a noob question. I am currently looking into getting coilovers as well but is wondering if this noise is common with all coilovers or is it specific to certain brands/setups? Trying to see what else I should buy and get the install done right the first time

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 10:59 AM   #9
E92inSG
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBear View Post
Apologies but I have a noob question. I am currently looking into getting coilovers as well but is wondering if this noise is common with all coilovers or is it specific to certain brands/setups? Trying to see what else I should buy and get the install done right the first time

Thanks!
The actual term is spring bind, when u steer at low speeds the spring twists and if there is no bearing for the spring to rotate smoothly, it “catches” and produces a popping sound as it “skips” across the perch. Stock top mounts have this bearing in place so if you’re changing to a coilover that utilises the stock top mount you won’t have this issue.

If not then you need either thrust sheets or Torrington/ needle bearings to allow smooth rotation of the spring as you turn.
Appreciate 2
      05-29-2021, 12:08 PM   #10
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

Quote:
The actual term is spring bind, when u steer at low speeds the spring twists and if there is no bearing for the spring to rotate smoothly, it “catches” and produces a popping sound as it “skips” across the perch. Stock top mounts have this bearing in place so if you’re changing to a coilover that utilises the stock top mount you won’t have this issue.

If not then you need either thrust sheets or Torrington/ needle bearings to allow smooth rotation of the spring as you turn.
What's odd was I had Bilstein PSS10 and it reused the OEM top mounts, however, they still bound and popped whenever entering driveway or doing 3 point k turns. Both times I installed those on the F8X that happened. However, currently running KW CS and haven't had that issue in a few years.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 06:32 AM   #11
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

I find it interesting, I do all my installs and have never experienced spring bind. M4#1 H&R springs, then BC Racing coilovers with OEM hats
M2 H&R springs
M4#2 EMD springs, MS springs, KW HAS, now BC Racing coilovers with their camber plates

All without bind, pops, creaks etc
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 05:56 AM   #12
E92inSG
Captain
Rep

i just installed torrington bearings today at the bottom of my JRZ RS Pro perch in front and what a difference! no more clangs & twangs! lol
      06-07-2021, 11:49 AM   #13
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
i just installed torrington bearings today at the bottom of my JRZ RS Pro perch in front and what a difference! no more clangs & twangs! lol
You should move them to the top — less debris will get up there.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 07:03 AM   #14
E92inSG
Captain
Rep

@x.shell

How are these JRZ top mounts holding up for you?

My Torrington bearings still require cleaning every once in a while or they start to get noisy with grit

Considering getting these new top mounts from JRZ
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 07:06 AM   #15
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
@x.shell

My Torrington bearings still require cleaning every once in a while or they start to get noisy with grit

No noise so far.

I'm installing new studs this weekend, so I'll take a look and snap some pics then.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 07:37 AM   #16
dvq
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Wouldn't some spring covers help?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 09:20 AM   #17
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

What am I missing here. Why not use a vorshlag camber plate as it has a sealed thrust bearing.
      08-20-2021, 11:15 PM   #18
E92inSG
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR RIZK View Post
What am I missing here. Why not use a vorshlag camber plate as it has a sealed thrust bearing.
My RS PRO's already include JRZ's own camber plates. so I would prefer to not to have to buy another set, for now.
      08-22-2021, 01:42 AM   #19
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

I occasionally have some noises. I jack up the front end and spray the debris with my pressure washer and it holds up for a couple of months.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 05:42 PM   #20
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
@x.shell

Here are some videos of my JRZ thrust bearings from this weekend. These vids were taken as soon as I removed the wheels; no cleaning. Keep in mind, that I haven't been driving as much since the pandemic started.... I would guesstimate that I've driven 3000 miles on these +2 rainy days on these.

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 05:53 PM   #21
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR RIZK View Post
There are several reasons why people simply don't use Vorshlag camber plates.

The first reason is... options. Simply put, there is more than one choice of camber plates. That reason alone gives these thrust bearings a reason to exist.

Second reason is because Vorshlag was one of the last companies to finally come out with a camber plate for the F8X chassis, even though they teased it for years. A lot of people already went with other solutions before they officially released their camber plates.

Me personally, my JRZs came with camber plates back in 2015. When I recently upgraded my JRZ RS2 to RSPro, I migrated the camber plates over since they were plug and play. The JRZ camber plates actually share a lot of similarites to the Vorshlag version, and I appreciate the simplicity of the design. There is no reason for me to go with Vorshlag at this point.
Appreciate 1
MR RIZK757.50
      08-23-2021, 07:04 PM   #22
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Makes sense. If I had the JRZ setup already I would have stayed within their ecosystem. I was more curious from a technical standpoint if you exhausted all options why you didn't go with the vorshlag ones however you answered that.

I was lucky as I suspect I was one of the first to order the vorshlag plates as they were in "development" a longtime and their release date happen to coincide with my MCS purchase. I found that with the vorshlag and swift sheets it was pretty quite but with the occasional creak here and there when offloading load on driveways. Adding the Torrington bearing to the bottom has cured this for me albeit I will need to keep them maintained.