Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

09-17-2021, 05:32 PM   #45
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinYellowm3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR RIZK View Post
Quote:
Soo what would happened if I was to get a costume tune from him and later on down the road I swap to catless downpipes
You just switch into a new costume.. ah couldn't help myself..
I'm new in the f80 community and tuning as well so can you elaborate more please and thank you
I'm just being a d/h as you wrote costume vs custom. Anyway back onto topic
      09-17-2021, 05:34 PM   #46
M3god
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f80 m3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Soo what would happened if I was to get a costume tune from him and later on down the road I swap to catless downpipes
You just switch into a new costume.. ah couldn't help myself..
I'm new in the f80 community and tuning as well so can you elaborate more please and thank you
I'm just being a d/h as you wrote costume vs custom. Anyway back onto topic
I'm clearly not reading or writing properly as I'm multitasking my fault
Appreciate 1
MR RIZK757.50
      09-17-2021, 05:52 PM   #47
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Maybe this is a over simplification but why can't the logic setttings for "stage 2" tunes that affect emissions be moved to the user driven interface. Eg tuner provides the tune file with no emissions related changes and changes that are required is moved to the App. This way it is the user that is doing the altering not the tuning entity.
      09-18-2021, 01:44 AM   #48
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Maybe this is a over simplification but why can't the logic setttings for "stage 2" tunes that affect emissions be moved to the user driven interface. Eg tuner provides the tune file with no emissions related changes and changes that are required is moved to the App. This way it is the user that is doing the altering not the tuning entity.
I believe this is already the case. A tune fine doesn't modify CEL codes. That is controlled by the app.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 10:08 AM   #49
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Guys, this is all a no-brainer…

-Keep OEM cats on so Cary can work
-Get your Cary Stg2+ tune finished
(Cary is clear now, no risk to his biz)

-Now you can de-cat or sport-cat
-Change the Cat CEL switch in BM3
-Flash with BM3 again…Done!
      01-07-2022, 03:30 PM   #50
ThickM3
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post

But has anyone confirmed that the (configuration) button will be on the side of the custom map he does like on the OTS? Where you can change burbles and the cats, cold start rpm and other settings?

Has anyone actually done this and confirmed this yet?

I now can't get tuned by him due to catless dp. I can put stock back... but I want to be Abel to run catless after he is done tuning.

Please give me your feedback
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 03:35 PM   #51
ThickM3
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff80m3 View Post
So just an FYI for everyone. One of my buddies brought this to my attention after buying a custom tune from Cary Jordan and had his order canceled with no refund.

It seems like he no longer offers custom tunes to folks who have catless dp's or "emissions altering" equipment. Stage 1 with OEM downpipes is as far as he will go now from the looks of it and the explanation on his site.

Did you or anyone find out how Cary knew the cat was deleted?? How does he tell? Did he also really keep the $?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 03:39 PM   #52
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thicsilverf30 View Post
Quote:

But has anyone confirmed that the (configuration) button will be on the side of the custom map he does like on the OTS? Where you can change burbles and the cats, cold start rpm and other settings?

Has anyone actually done this and confirmed this yet?

I now can't get tuned by him due to catless dp. I can put stock back... but I want to be Abel to run catless after he is done tuning.

Please give me your feedback
Paul tunes the same way as Cary, and I can change all my settings no probs.
      01-07-2022, 03:44 PM   #53
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Cary is working on my full E85 custom tune right now. The thing is, just use good judgement, implying this is a for the street tune and having your car setup with illegal modifications kind of puts him (and any tuner) in a hot seat with the EPA. The tuning 'options' within MHD or BM3 are still available to configure at your discretion.
      01-07-2022, 03:49 PM   #54
ThickM3
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Paul tunes the same way as Cary, and I can change all my settings no probs.
Okay so you're running catless or catted?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 03:52 PM   #55
ThickM3
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f82.959 View Post
Cary is working on my full E85 custom tune right now. The thing is, just use good judgement, implying this is a for the street tune and having your car setup with illegal modifications kind of puts him (and any tuner) in a hot seat with the EPA. The tuning 'options' within MHD or BM3 are still available to configure at your discretion.
So you're saying the options to turn off cat heating and cat CEL are still there on a custom tune through bootmod3?

What are you running on your car for him to tune your e85? Stock cat? Of course use good judgment, I'm just curious as to how he asks or identified if you have a cat or not. Is it through a photo? Or is he able to tell from the logs you send back in?

Just out of curiosity on how this process works
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 04:11 PM   #56
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
So you're saying the options to turn off cat heating and cat CEL are still there on a custom tune through bootmod3?

What are you running on your car for him to tune your e85? Stock cat? Of course use good judgment, I'm just curious as to how he asks or identified if you have a cat or not. Is it through a photo? Or is he able to tell from the logs you send back in?

I hear ya. Yes the options are there and no, you don't need to send any pics but you do have to sign a waiver (many of them). Factory downpipes can handle 700whp no problem btw. I've seen it, more than once.
      01-07-2022, 04:40 PM   #57
ThickM3
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I hear ya. Yes the options are there and no, you don't need to send any pics but you do have to sign a waiver (many of them). Factory downpipes can handle 700whp no problem btw. I've seen it, more than once.
Yeah I bet they can. So how would the OPs friend get denied tuning and his payment taken away just off of forms? I would assume cary found out somehow. I have a friend who was going to get tuned as well.... but doesn't have a stock cat to put back on. Can cary tell my air/fuel ratios from logs? I assume you're stock cat... but I just find all this to be so much red tape lol
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 04:52 PM   #58
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Yeah I bet they can. So how would the OPs friend get denied tuning and his payment taken away just off of forms? I would assume cary found out somehow. I have a friend who was going to get tuned as well.... but doesn't have a stock cat to put back on. Can cary tell my air/fuel ratios from logs? I assume you're stock cat... but I just find all this to be so much red tape lol
I don't discount the possibility of it happening but I am just speaking from my personal experience which is current (sent logs and received a revision today).
      01-07-2022, 05:02 PM   #59
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I've run Paul's E85 with and without cats. The "custom" part of the tune is the fueling, timing and boost. All of the BM3 settings that you see in an OTS map are there for custom maps too. No need for cold start or cats-on for E tunes.