proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

06-23-2021, 11:43 AM   #2399
blkcow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3MC LCI

Garage List
Interesting. So if I'm understanding correctly, all you did was remove the cat on the driver's side (straight pipe) and hollow out the passenger cat to equalize the lengths (really volumes of the pipes)?

[QUOTE=Kuky;27730086]

DIY EL: From reading the M4 forum, the passenger side's exhaust pipe should be extended 12 to 14 inches to equalize the exhaust pulses. However, because I wanted to keep the OEM resonator to reduce the drone and rasps (it has a built-in cross pipe and free flow), I've decided to equalize the exhaust volume by increasing the girth on the passenger side of the exhaust pipe. This also meant both secondary cats were removed to free up space and some hp. On the driver's side, the 2nd cat was replaced with a straight pipe. For the passenger side, initially, I planned to weld 2X 2.5 to 3.5 inches (5 inches in total) transition pipes with about an~8 inches 3.5-inch pipe in between. However, it was later found out there was only enough space for a 4 inch 3.5 pipe, and the total volume would not be enough. The OEM secondary cat is about 6 inches in diameter and ~7 inches in length, so the volume is closer to what I wanted to achieve. As a result, the core was punched out and welded back.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 12:24 PM   #2400
Kuky
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS in H.S.

[QUOTE=blkcow11291;27730947]Interesting. So if I'm understanding correctly, all you did was remove the cat on the driver's side (straight pipe) and hollow out the passenger cat to equalize the lengths (really volumes of the pipes)? Yes and changed the dps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuky View Post

DIY EL: From reading the M4 forum, the passenger side's exhaust pipe should be extended 12 to 14 inches to equalize the exhaust pulses. However, because I wanted to keep the OEM resonator to reduce the drone and rasps (it has a built-in cross pipe and free flow), I've decided to equalize the exhaust volume by increasing the girth on the passenger side of the exhaust pipe. This also meant both secondary cats were removed to free up space and some hp. On the driver's side, the 2nd cat was replaced with a straight pipe. For the passenger side, initially, I planned to weld 2X 2.5 to 3.5 inches (5 inches in total) transition pipes with about an~8 inches 3.5-inch pipe in between. However, it was later found out there was only enough space for a 4 inch 3.5 pipe, and the total volume would not be enough. The OEM secondary cat is about 6 inches in diameter and ~7 inches in length, so the volume is closer to what I wanted to achieve. As a result, the core was punched out and welded back.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 03:20 PM   #2401
blkcow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3MC LCI

Garage List
If that's the case that might open it up to make it easy to get the sound. I wonder if there are any potential downsides to having a large hollow section in the exhaust only on one side? My gut says no but either way this has to be the cheapest possible solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuky View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkcow11291 View Post
Interesting. So if I'm understanding correctly, all you did was remove the cat on the driver's side (straight pipe) and hollow out the passenger cat to equalize the lengths (really volumes of the pipes)?
Yes and changed the dps.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 05:37 PM   #2402
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkcow11291 View Post
If that's the case that might open it up to make it easy to get the sound. I wonder if there are any potential downsides to having a large hollow section in the exhaust only on one side? My gut says no but either way this has to be the cheapest possible solution.
No offense to Kuky, but that sounds nothing like an equal-length midpipe to me. It sounds a little different, but doesn't sound like an EL.
The equal length exhausts (generally) produce a nice inline-six growl. Not hearing any of that in that video, but maybe it's just my speakers
Appreciate 1
Kilabyte3946.50
      06-23-2021, 08:00 PM   #2403
Driven 2 Thrill
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey914 View Post
New video. I think this is one of the best sounding equal length setups.

Definitely sounds pretty good without the bubbles. This might be the winner for me. What's it take to get this set up though? Looking at AWEs website, it looks like they don't offer an axle back. And I don't feel like paying 4k for the cat-back only to have to spend another 1.5k on the EE midpipe.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 08:13 PM   #2404
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driven 2 Thrill View Post
I don't feel like paying 4k for the cat-back only to have to spend another 1.5k on the EE midpipe.
Buy a used one, since you'll have to cut it up and ditch the midpipe anyway.

This one is for sale used in the NYC area
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1821324

Last edited by 1000hp; 06-23-2021 at 08:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 06:02 AM   #2405
mikey914
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Quote:
Definitely sounds pretty good without the bubbles. This might be the winner for me. What's it take to get this set up though? Looking at AWEs website, it looks like they don't offer an axle back. And I don't feel like paying 4k for the cat-back only to have to spend another 1.5k on the EE midpipe.
I bought the midpipe for 1200 and awe exhaust used in mint condition for 2000.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 05:49 PM   #2406
Driven 2 Thrill
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000hp View Post
Buy a used one, since you'll have to cut it up and ditch the midpipe anyway.

This one is for sale used in the NYC area
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1821324
Looks like it's local pick up only. Bummer. Thanks for the reply though. I'll keep my eyes open for others.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 05:53 PM   #2407
Driven 2 Thrill
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I bought the midpipe for 1200 and awe exhaust used in mint condition for 2000.
Wow great deals. I may try to reach out to AWE and see if I can get just the muffler/tips. Maybe they'll have mercy if I ask nicely Looks like it has some front pipes that attach to the mid but guessing that wouldn't be a direct fit.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 06:07 PM   #2408
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Just get a mid-pipe (either version for stock DP, resonated for cat-less) and pair it with the stock muffler and unplug the valves when open so you can get a feel for the full sound. Stock muffler with valves open will sound very similar to any other muffler with straight through routing, which is pretty much what every aftermarket axel back also does. Mufflers will really show their difference when the valves are closed.
      06-24-2021, 06:54 PM   #2409
six75LT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Just get a mid-pipe (either version for stock DP, resonated for cat-less) and pair it with the stock muffler and unplug the valves when open so you can get a feel for the full sound. Stock muffler with valves open will sound very similar to any other muffler with straight through routing, which is pretty much what every aftermarket axel back also does. Mufflers will really show their difference when the valves are closed.
if youre referring to tone then yeah, but i saw a pretty noticeable difference in volume after swapping out the stock muffler for the remus muffler while i wait my EL
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 07:15 PM   #2410
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by six75LT View Post
if youre referring to tone then yeah, but i saw a pretty noticeable difference in volume after swapping out the stock muffler for the remus muffler while i wait my EL
I’d say they’re pretty close in volume also compared to other mufflers I’ve heard. There’s always going to some tonal and volume variance as the muffler is still working on some of the exhaust flow with valves open, but under full load I’d say that all valved mufflers are within 90% of each other’s tone and volume when valves are forced open just based on what I’ve heard in person as a third party.
      06-24-2021, 07:19 PM   #2411
mikey914
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Quote:
False. Stock muffler does not sound like every other muffler with valves open. Look at my video. I just swapped my muffler out and the sound is 100 percent different
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 07:25 PM   #2412
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
False. Stock muffler does not sound like every other muffler with valves open. Look at my video. I just swapped my muffler out and the sound is 100 percent different
I saw your video(s), it sounds like a lot of EL exhaust setups out there, not meaningfully different over video.
      06-26-2021, 02:52 PM   #2413
alicerink
Rep
Drives: 2016 m3 f80

Quote:
I made a thread but here

sounds really good. btw do you get any drone at all during low rpm driving ?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 09:32 AM   #2414
Soul Coughing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 ZCP

Garage List
To the other people that ordered in early March.. Let's see if our exhausts will be sent out in the next couple days!! Fingers crossed.
Appreciate 1
HotRodM4684.00
      06-28-2021, 10:10 AM   #2415
HotRodM4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Garage List
  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Coughing View Post
To the other people that ordered in early March.. Let's see if our exhausts will be sent out in the next couple days!! Fingers crossed.
And us who ordered during April I'd hope
      06-29-2021, 12:39 AM   #2416
ESB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
So over on the M2 forums there's some discussion of tincan noise with EL midpipe (I think particularly when paired with stock DP and stock muffler) at low revs ~2k and below and especially when pipes are cold (but some people get it even when warm)

Curious to hear whether you guys with M3s and M4s experience the same?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 12:51 AM   #2417
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESB View Post
So over on the M2 forums there's some discussion of tincan noise with EL midpipe (I think particularly when paired with stock DP and stock muffler) at low revs ~2k and below and especially when pipes are cold (but some people get it even when warm)

Curious to hear whether you guys with M3s and M4s experience the same?
I think know the exact noise - it happens when cruising in high gear and low revs but when you push the pedal in more than a light amount. It sounds a lot like the waste gates are fully open, I’ve always wondered if that is what the turbos are programmed to do in that situation. I’m in Seattle now and I can easily replicate all these noises people here lol if you want to hear any of them
      06-29-2021, 01:52 AM   #2418
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

Quote:
I think know the exact noise - it happens when cruising in high gear and low revs but when you push the pedal in more than a light amount. It sounds a lot like the waste gates are fully open, I’ve always wondered if that is what the turbos are programmed to do in that situation. I’m in Seattle now and I can easily replicate all these noises people here lol if you want to hear any of them
You should (or not) hear that with the MPE, yikes.

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 10:48 AM   #2419
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep

I have no tin can sound.
None with the sock muffler and none with the Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 12:46 AM   #2420
Xer0449
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14' Evo GSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodM4 View Post
And us who ordered during April I'd hope
Has anyone gotten a shipping notification? I doubt they'll be going out with all the mess @ the ports.