European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

11-29-2021, 07:26 AM   #1
TrackEnthusiast
Private
Rep
Drives: 125i 2014

New way to get telemetry for F series cars

The MLaptimer for iPhone is a really cool app, specially if you consider that the car sensors (but the GPS) are very accurate. Recently, I've put together some code that allows to use the app data along with a GoPro video. Even more, if you use a GoPro with GPS and set it up right to get a good quality GPS track, the code will parse the MLaptimer low res GPS track with the high res GPS track from the camera, sync everything together, and output a csv file for rendering videos with Dashware or RaceRender. Even better, it also outputs a .vbo file, which can be used in CT to analyze the driving, with very good quality (of course, quality depends on how good you set up the GoPro). Check the results below and pm me if interested.

Appreciate 6
Jim45678164.00
_robert_108.50
gspannu198.50
spidy512491.50
FTS387.50
      01-30-2022, 05:08 PM   #2
TrackEnthusiast
Private
Rep
Drives: 125i 2014

New setup: 2 GoPros and picture in picture video

So, another track day done. Lots of fun with other BMW enthusiasts. Also, I tried a new setup for my telemetry rig: Used the GoPro 5 right under the windshield, for better track view and also better GPS signal. And used a GoPro 4 under the sunroof, just to get the driver perspective. Below the result, hope your guys like and, if anyone wants to use a similar rigup, just let me know and I'll explain better how to.

Appreciate 1
FTS387.50