Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

11-26-2021, 05:05 PM   #1
M5D
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016M4

I4 EV....those figures are not impressive

These figures are abysmal! They could at least manufacture an EV capable to destroying that ugly Tesla!

https://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/all-.../overview.html
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 02:20 AM   #2
HarryTee
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4CP & 2017 440i GC

What do you want? It's their first attempt, and surely things will improve.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 07:20 PM   #3
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Which part is abysmal?

The range shows 270mi for the M50 in the separate section on BMWusa. Yes, it's not TM3 performance range according to the EPA (There are multiple ways to use the EPA ratings to your favor with EV vehicles), however BMW has not officially rated this under the EPA and rather they are just using estimates which range from 245-270 using who knows what rating.

https://www.bmwusa.com/charging.html

With that being said, the EPA does not favor most EV vehicles testing aside from Tesla's (check out the Taycan being rated at 220miles, but is capable of 290-320 miles on real world use), because of the range of variables and methods of testing allowed. However, if you go in ******, there are great simulators that show real world simulations at 316-365 miles with the M50 in real world use, and over 400 miles on the edrive40. The i4 is VERY efficient on the WLTP cycle and the i4 has also been declared on of the most efficient EV's on the market today: https://www.bmwblog.com/2021/11/23/bmw-i4-efficiency/

For acceleration, there are speedo comparison videos where this car will likely trap 121-122mph, BMW has been known to sandbag acceleration times, definitely no secret, plus the powercurve of the motor favors more highspeed acceleration vs 0-60 (where the TM3 peaks in power and then wanes, hence better 0-60 times).

Good 1st attempt, enough for me to place an order for one once I dug around bmw i-forums more. The price is right, the performance is there, it looks like a "normal" car, has a decent dealer network, versatile hatchback, charge speeds are decent @200 kW on a DC fast charge, decent range on the arguably more accurate for an EV WLTP cycle, and the interior build quality is excellent. Just imagine how much better this car will be if it dropped down from 4,800 to 4,000 (DIN lbs and not EURO lbs) on a dedicated skateboard platform.

Plus allocations have been tight, mine is expected for Q3/Q4 2022 due to demand. Sounds like BMW hit a home run, especially on pre and current orders where people placed theirs sight unseen and have not even driven it, including people with prior M cars on the Facebook group.

Last edited by spool twice; 11-30-2021 at 06:06 AM..
Appreciate 0