BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

11-18-2021, 03:42 PM   #1
pfrederi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1995 E36 M3

Local BMW Dealer M4 Dilemma

So i posted back a few months ago when i got my 2018 M4 (Comp Exec Pkg), 18,000 miles at the time.

So to rehash what happened. I knew i only had a couple months left on my warranty (actually i think at that time it was like 6 weeks) and i was asking the forum here what thinmgs i may want done before the warranty expired. Long story short i took it in to the local BMW dealership because actually i did have a couple concerns i wanted them to look at (parking brake issue and loud rattle from muffler area). So i took it in for the handbrake issue thinking they would also go over the car as well and let me know what if anything the car may need. They basically told me that they dont inspect the car unless its at an maintenance interval which my car was not at that mileage. They took the car back and brought back out almost immediatley and told mne there was nothing wrong with the handbrake and that everything else looked fine and sent me on my merry way. Problem is I just recently discovered (about 3wks after my warranty expired) my exhaust has the notorious cracked exhaust pipe. So i called back the BMW dealer and asked them what if anything can be done about it. The guy basically told me that the warranty is expired and if they knew it was damaged then when i brought it in they would cover it. I explained to him that they told me that the car checked out ok which means they did not even look over the car or else they would have seen the cracked muffler. The car service receipt even mentions that they checked out ok as if they did the check.

So my question is do i have any recourse being that if they did the inspction they would have seen the issue which they told me they did the inpsection. Im not looking for a handout here but im pissed that they said they looked over the car and its ok and they obviuosly didnt. Now they wann tell me that a new muffler would be $6400. im guessing thats with labor LOL!!! But im highly pissed at this point. From going from having it totally covered to now poss having to shell out 6 grand??!!! or there abouts for somnething hey should have done and found.

Any help or input here is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 03:54 PM   #2
llvsixaxisvll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 6MT

Write up call something or call BMW corporate and see what they offer
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 09:38 PM   #3
onebadm3
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP & E39 M5

Do you have the dealership maintenance printout that states "customer says there is a rattle in muffler area" or something to that effect. At least on the ones I have ever received always have the customer complaint followed by the resolution of the issue. That would give you some recourse I would think. Otherwise I'm afraid it might become a "he said she said" situation.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 10:23 AM   #4
coldsoup
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3

I had a similar experience at my dealer in the NE. Really rubbed me the wrong way. No integrity. The wife needs a bigger suv, looking elsewhere. Hope you get taken care of OP.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 12:34 PM   #5
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfrederi View Post
So i took it in for the handbrake issue thinking they would also go over the car as well and let me know what if anything the car may need.
Sounds like you didnt specifically mention the muffler issue, and if so, why would they check the muffler for a hand brake issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadm3 View Post
Do you have the dealership maintenance printout that states "customer says there is a rattle in muffler area" or something to that effect. At least on the ones I have ever received always have the customer complaint followed by the resolution of the issue. That would give you some recourse I would think. Otherwise I'm afraid it might become a "he said she said" situation.
Exactly, if you specifically mentioned it, and you had it documented then you may be in luck
Appreciate 1
ried790.50
      11-22-2021, 04:06 PM   #6
wam22
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

I have seen BMW eat some smaller repairs just outside of warranty but it is tougher with larger repairs. I have seen some cases where BMW will split the cost of repair with you. As far as them covering the entire repair, it is hard unless there is documentation of a problem occurring within the warranty period.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 01:08 PM   #7
pfrederi
Private First Class
Rep

Ok I would even take them splitting the cost. something at least but to just basically blow me off because they knew my warranty was about up and not properly check my vehicle i dnt think that was cool.

And yes the service receipt shows "MULITPOINT INSPECTION", "BODY CHECK" (for the parking brake issue which they said was no problem found) and "TOUCHLESS SERVICE" complimentary car wash that they didnt even want to do. They started giving me all kinds of excuses that my car has the wheels and the car wash might scratch then they asked if i would want the touchless sefvixce instead and i said sure. They ran the car thru in like 2mins and gave it back to me with water all over the car lol. They didnt take the time to dry it off or pass it thru a drier or something. Really bad service.

But back to the point it shows on the service that they did a inspection and i can prove that the issue did not happen after the inspection. I havent done anything to the car since i bought it and it looks like the place that sold me the car did a bang up patchwork job that is quite evident so the issue was not introduced after the service. any other help is greatky appreciated. I need to get this fixed but i dnt plan on paying full price for something they very well could have identified when i took it in when it was still under warranty.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 01:55 PM   #8
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
An inspection doesn’t mean they’re going to through every inch of the car. It’s your job to point out any issues for them to look at.
Appreciate 1
65fastback1132.50
      11-28-2021, 02:29 PM   #9
65fastback
Captain
Rep
Drives: every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfrederi View Post
Ok I would even take them splitting the cost. something at least but to just basically blow me off because they knew my warranty was about up and not properly check my vehicle i dnt think that was cool.

And yes the service receipt shows "MULITPOINT INSPECTION", "BODY CHECK" (for the parking brake issue which they said was no problem found) and "TOUCHLESS SERVICE" complimentary car wash that they didnt even want to do. They started giving me all kinds of excuses that my car has the wheels and the car wash might scratch then they asked if i would want the touchless sefvixce instead and i said sure. They ran the car thru in like 2mins and gave it back to me with water all over the car lol. They didnt take the time to dry it off or pass it thru a drier or something. Really bad service.

But back to the point it shows on the service that they did a inspection and i can prove that the issue did not happen after the inspection. I havent done anything to the car since i bought it and it looks like the place that sold me the car did a bang up patchwork job that is quite evident so the issue was not introduced after the service. any other help is greatky appreciated. I need to get this fixed but i dnt plan on paying full price for something they very well could have identified when i took it in when it was still under warranty.

Thanks

I suggest you try to get over the whole "they didn't check my car properly " thing. They ( Bmw service department ) did everything the law require's them to do.

The Reality is you didn't check your vehicle properly before you bought it.

Cheer up man you have a sweet car.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 07:05 AM   #10
rudebwoi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 6MT ZCP Mineral White

Stock exhaust sounds like poop anyways. Time to upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 08:23 AM   #11
pfrederi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
An inspection doesn’t mean they’re going to through every inch of the car. It’s your job to point out any issues for them to look at.

I get that, but whats the point of doing a so called "inspection" if its not worth crap doing int he first place. i guess it looks good on paper. This was not something that really needed a deep dive inspection to be found. Im not arguing just raising a point. Like i said im not asking for a handout but im sure it would have been found had they just looked at the car while it was still under warranty. Im even willing to accept if they foot part of the bill or something.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 08:26 AM   #12
pfrederi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudebwoi View Post
Stock exhaust sounds like poop anyways. Time to upgrade.
LOL. I actually like thee stock exhaust. It sounds good to me. I dnt need something crazy loud like im on the track or something and im sure with a tune i can make her sing a different tune (no pun intended)
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 08:33 AM   #13
pfrederi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
I suggest you try to get over the whole "they didn't check my car properly " thing. They ( Bmw service department ) did everything the law require's them to do.

The Reality is you didn't check your vehicle properly before you bought it.

Cheer up man you have a sweet car.

True i did not properly check my vehicle when i bought it. I was out of state and did not allow myself enough time to factor all that in so i pulled the trigger... and well, i guess i blew my brains out Jokes aside they knew they did not do their due diligence and they saw my warranty was sson to be up and basically sent me packing.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 08:33 AM   #14
IVM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

As someone stated earlier, did you have the rattle in the muffler area documented on your prior visit as a customer complaint? You mentioned the handbrake but did they note that you complained about the muffler rattle? If so, then I think you have a case to be made in terms of them not finding the issue previously and needing to cover under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 11:56 AM   #15
pfrederi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVM3 View Post
As someone stated earlier, did you have the rattle in the muffler area documented on your prior visit as a customer complaint? You mentioned the handbrake but did they note that you complained about the muffler rattle? If so, then I think you have a case to be made in terms of them not finding the issue previously and needing to cover under warranty.

I never had a prior visit to any BMW service center. This would have been my first visit to any BMW sevice center since owning the vehicle and it was still under warranty. And no i didnt have it documented but i didmention it to them on the phone on the intial call setup.
Appreciate 0